RIP Joe Strummer

AuthorMessage
High Fidelity
Falling In Love With The Board
High Fidelity
December 21st, 2006 at 11:22pm
So it's been exactly four years today since Joe Strummer passed on, and I figured there were other Clash fans that would want to remember and pay tribute to Joe today.

worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
December 22nd, 2006 at 07:10am
RIP Joe Strummer <3
wfougoafoihqfe
wfougoafoihqfe
December 22nd, 2006 at 08:24am
Molly
[color=red]R.I.P[/red]
greenday6
Admin
greenday6
December 22nd, 2006 at 12:47pm
R.I.P.
White Riot
King For A Couple Of Days
White Riot
December 22nd, 2006 at 12:51pm
Time has flew by like...so fast.
RIP
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
December 22nd, 2006 at 02:04pm
White Riot:
Time has flew by like...so fast.
RIP
Yeah, I know. At first I only thought it was 2 or 3 years, but then I did the math and... wow.
Rotten
Idiot
Rotten

Blog
December 22nd, 2006 at 03:13pm
RIP Joe. We really miss you. Stay free. See ya on the otherside.

http://www.joestrummer.org/praise.htm
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
December 22nd, 2006 at 03:40pm
Rotten:
RIP Joe. We really miss you. Stay free. See ya on the otherside.

http://www.joestrummer.org/praise.htm
Wow. That link was pretty awesome. Got me a bit teary-eyed though... it's pretty much impossible to be a Clash fan without feeling connected to Joe.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
December 22nd, 2006 at 04:02pm
Green_Clash:
Wow. That link was pretty awesome. Got me a bit teary-eyed though... it's pretty much impossible to be a Clash fan without feeling connected to Joe.
True. And when you see how many people admired him, his fans, but also people who were later were meaningful to music, they all share big respect even if they werent big friends with him. That makes you think, but also very sad in these times.
Robin Sparkles
This Board Is My Home
Robin Sparkles

Mibba Blog
December 22nd, 2006 at 04:45pm
Sad, sad. =( R.I.P Joe. <3
whoa
whoa
December 22nd, 2006 at 05:16pm
RIP.

I decided I'd have a little memorial later in the day for him.
Rotten
Idiot
Rotten

Blog
December 22nd, 2006 at 05:55pm
[Bittersweet] cant fail:
Green_Clash:
True. And when you see how many people admired him, his fans, but also people who were later were meaningful to music, they all share big respect even if they werent big friends with him. That makes you think, but also very sad in these times.

I agree with you both. Today was great because it was our last day of school and everyone was excited for the break, but for me I just kinda felt like I had a cloud hanging over my head. My friend gave me a Mescaleros album, "Streetcore", today. It was the one Joe was working on when he died. That just kinda hit home and I was listening to it and I just thought "Wow...this man was larger then life. Why'd it have to be his time to go?" Even though I never even knew him, he's had SUCH an impact on me, and if such a thing as heroes exist, he is among them. Mortality doesn't apply to Joe Strummer. Maybe in the physical sense, yes, but his spirit is still alive. I don't remember who said it, but someone said about Joe, "In a world ruled by money, only a few follow their beliefs. A good man is gone, but his spirit lives on in those he inspired."

I cannot possibly thank him enough for all he's done for me, and all his work will continue to do for me.
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
December 22nd, 2006 at 06:01pm
Rotten:
[Bittersweet] cant fail:
Green_Clash:

I agree with you both. Today was great because it was our last day of school and everyone was excited for the break, but for me I just kinda felt like I had a cloud hanging over my head. My friend gave me a Mescaleros album, "Streetcore", today. It was the one Joe was working on when he died. That just kinda hit home and I was listening to it and I just thought "Wow...this man was larger then life. Why'd it have to be his time to go?" Even though I never even knew him, he's had SUCH an impact on me, and if such a thing as heroes exist, he is among them. Mortality doesn't apply to Joe Strummer. Maybe in the physical sense, yes, but his spirit is still alive. I don't remember who said it, but someone said about Joe, "In a world ruled by money, only a few follow their beliefs. A good man is gone, but his spirit lives on in those he inspired."

I cannot possibly thank him enough for all he's done for me, and all his work will continue to do for me.
I totally agree. Joe's pretty much the reason I play guitar... I even named my guitar Strummer after him. Joe also taught me to take a look at what's going on in the world, and not just shut certain things out cause they aren't going on in your own country. If I had to pick a hero, Joe would definetely be it. RIP Joe - "You're my guitar hero!"
White Riot
White Riot
December 22nd, 2006 at 09:22pm
That is so true, its funny how everyone who gets into The Clash is just so inspired by Joe.
This year wasn't as sad as the last, I remember last year I cried the whole day, this time, it was more of a big Joe celebration, and I think Joe would prefer it that way
Rotten
Idiot
Rotten

Blog
December 22nd, 2006 at 09:50pm
White Riot:
That is so true, its funny how everyone who gets into The Clash is just so inspired by Joe.
This year wasn't as sad as the last, I remember last year I cried the whole day, this time, it was more of a big Joe celebration, and I think Joe would prefer it that way

Yeah. I remember you saying once that shortly after Joe died, people who knew him had dreams where he was comforting them. (Or it was something along those lines). That really stayed with me- I've never forgotten that. I think it really sums Joe up pretty well. I've been listening to the Clash, the 101'ers, and the Mescaleros literally all day. Although I feel like it was just yesterday that he died, I also feel complete gratitude to him for all he did in his time on earth. Thanks, Joe.
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
December 22nd, 2006 at 10:06pm
I've listened to every Clash song I have today. I'm sure Joe would be proud. tehe
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
December 23rd, 2006 at 07:53am
White Riot:
Its hard not to be inspired by him. And I agree, I did cried, but I didnt want to end it that way. I had my own little celebration and Im fine with that.
Rotten
Idiot
Rotten

Blog
December 23rd, 2006 at 09:28am
I wrote a song about him last night- it's in the poetry forum if anyone's interested. (it's called Strummer). It's not very good- I was just trying to get some thoughts out. So no laughing at me, por favor.

I did cry too. My aunt wrote me an email yesterday and she said "I was listening to Steve Jones on the radio and he played a Clash block and at the end he said 'If it wasn't for Joe Strummer, bands would still be wearing flares and platform shoes...like I am now'." I got a laugh out of that. She said he did a really nice tribute to Joe and played a lot of rare stuff.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
December 23rd, 2006 at 02:59pm
A friend of mine told me that she saw four candles and a paper that said RIP Joe Strummer in the main square in Zagreb.
Rotten
Idiot
Rotten

Blog
December 23rd, 2006 at 07:58pm
This all goes to show what a worldwide impact he had. Just amazing how one person can make so much of a difference.
Register