tyco
Jackass
tyco
April 12th, 2007 at 06:02pm
Kurtni:
tyco:
Kurtni:
xstarry_nightsx:
I don't think it's acceptable to discipline a pet through hitting it. Maybe a little tap that wouldn't even hurt it, but not hitting it. Unless its about to attack you or something!

If you severly hurt your animal it's no longer disipline it's abuse. I don't hit my animals but Im assuming the people who do use it more as a way to get their attention and show that whatever the animal has done is wrong. Hitting an animal alone isn't really good discipline anyways, verbal commands usually go with it, like when they say "no" or whatever.

i think hitting an animal with force is abuse with or without verbal commands.
tapping is enough to get there attention.

"Tapping" and "hitting" or "smacking" can have different levels of physical strength used to do each depending on the person, and how they choose to use the words. And no matter how you touch your pet, you're applying some force. Petting your animal requires force. Brushing your pet requires force. Pulling your dog out of the street so it doesn't get hit my a car needs force. Flicking their nose so they know its wrong needs force.

Con So, using force isn't abusive. If you didn't use force you'd have no contact with your pet at all, and that's neglect, which is abuse.

oh you knew what i ment okay lets rephrase hmmm... ? too much force in the wrong situations?..
what i mean by that a hard hit for dicapline is wrong full stop, if a dog is attacking some stronger force is needed, pulling a dog out of a street may sometimes obviously need a lot more force.

also hitting and smacking prevoke me to belive it harder then needed a tap sounds softer and calmer

and they do in fact mean compleatly different things

v. hit, hit·ting, hits
a. To come into contact with forcefully; strike

slap definition
a. A sharp blow made with the open hand or with a flat object; a smack.

v. tapped, tap·ping, taps
1. To strike gently with a light blow or blows

also in Thesaurus hitting is also listed under slapping but not tapping... as it explains a tap is a soft blow such as a tap on the shoulder whilst hitting is hard and forcefull. such as hitting a desk with a clenched fist in fury.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
April 12th, 2007 at 06:04pm
also force dose mean over powering

displaying force: dynamic, dynamical, forcible, hard-hitting, powerful, strong, vigorous. See strong
CopperheaD
Geek
CopperheaD
April 12th, 2007 at 06:15pm
Pets just need to hear a loud sharp noise when they're being naughty, that's enough to startle them. There's no need for hitting
tyco
Jackass
tyco
April 12th, 2007 at 06:38pm
CopperheaD:
Pets just need to hear a loud sharp noise when they're being naughty, that's enough to startle them. There's no need for hitting

i strongly agree
my cat is all sleepy on my lap lols so no loud nois making Razz
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:33pm
Since we're talking words here, a specialty of mine, the only reason tapping is considered lighter than hitting or smacking is because of the assonence of the sound even though it is pretty much the same action, it is associated at a different level. Smacking with a emphasised 'k' sound in comparison with the 'sm' had some dissonence to it and is a bit of an onamatapia so is used as a stronger verb. Hitting is more neutral because the sound of 'h' is softer.

That was off topic, but in case you were wondering about my opinion.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
April 13th, 2007 at 05:51pm
Anji:
Since we're talking words here, a specialty of mine, the only reason tapping is considered lighter than hitting or smacking is because of the assonence of the sound even though it is pretty much the same action, it is associated at a different level. Smacking with a emphasised 'k' sound in comparison with the 'sm' had some dissonence to it and is a bit of an onamatapia so is used as a stronger verb. Hitting is more neutral because the sound of 'h' is softer.

yea thats kinda why they mean different things cause they sound different one sounds softer so its the softer word the other sounds harder and harsh so its the stronger word.
and the action is the same, sure but there are different levels of force used and the 2 shouldnt be confused.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 13th, 2007 at 10:55pm
tyco:
Anji:

yea thats kinda why they mean different things cause they sound different one sounds softer so its the softer word the other sounds harder and harsh so its the stronger word.
and the action is the same, sure but there are different levels of force used and the 2 shouldnt be confused.
They shouldn't be confused in an arguement. If you say that I smack the dogs rather that hit, you are using the negative connatation of the word to make me look bad. If you say abuse, rather than discipline, you are using the dennotation so that others think that I'm some horrible monster who mistreats everything on this planet.

I love analysing persuasive writing.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 13th, 2007 at 11:48pm
tyco:

displaying force: dynamic, dynamical, forcible, hard-hitting, powerful, strong, vigorous. See strong

When you force someone to do something you're overpowering them. When you hit something it's a totally different kind of force. It's at what acceleration a certain mass is moving, in this sense. So, moving your hand to have any contact with an animal requires force. It has nothing to do with overpowering. Wink
tyco
Jackass
tyco
April 14th, 2007 at 05:28pm
Anji:
tyco:
Anji:

They shouldn't be confused in an arguement. If you say that I smack the dogs rather that hit, you are using the negative connatation of the word to make me look bad. If you say abuse, rather than discipline, you are using the dennotation so that others think that I'm some horrible monster who mistreats everything on this planet.

I love analysing persuasive writing.

you love it cause you think it makes you look good again... and you have told us at the start that its not in fact a tap and it is a hit because a tap dosnt work with your dog!..
i can find the quote if you want...

also i wasnt saying you smacked hit or tapped i was telling everyone what the difference was because somone said they where all the same which in fact they are not.

also i would have said a smack makes you look less bad then if you said hit.. cause a smack is the palm of your had where as a hit can be anything from a closed fist an open palm or whatever.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
April 14th, 2007 at 05:36pm
Kurtni:
tyco:

When you force someone to do something you're overpowering them. When you hit something it's a totally different kind of force. It's at what acceleration a certain mass is moving, in this sense. So, moving your hand to have any contact with an animal requires force. It has nothing to do with overpowering. Wink

no it really dose depend in what context we use it in as you can see hard hitting is also in that list.

we know everything needs a certain force but if for instance i said that was forcefull or summin then i would say that mean strong force
robotchicken.
Falling In Love With The Board
robotchicken.

Mibba
April 14th, 2007 at 09:00pm
We discipline the animals by hitting them BUT ONLY when they attack another animal or human being. Our dog can be vicious, my father has beat him alot...with a plastic pipe no less. My dog has killed a ridculous amount of animals. So I guess the dog still doesnt get it. I dont like that he hits the dog, and Im ashamed to say that I have never done anything about it. :/
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 02:37am
tyco:
you love it cause you think it makes you look good again... and you have told us at the start that its not in fact a tap and it is a hit because a tap dosnt work with your dog!..
i can find the quote if you want...

also i wasnt saying you smacked hit or tapped i was telling everyone what the difference was because somone said they where all the same which in fact they are not.

also i would have said a smack makes you look less bad then if you said hit.. cause a smack is the palm of your had where as a hit can be anything from a closed fist an open palm or whatever.
I don't understand how it makes me look good considering I have said that I smack my pets and smacking and hitting to me is the same thing. I'm trying to give a less biased opinion and people hate me for it. I don't deny any of that.

And I know you weren't talking about how I treated my dogs...because neither was I.

Smack gets a negative connatation because it is an onamatapia, as I said earlier, should you read what I say.
SugarGreen
King For A Couple Of Days
SugarGreen
April 15th, 2007 at 05:16am
hitting anyone / any animal is abuse. (Which is why I am against spanking.)

(If you go to a center for non violence you will learn that spanking is banned at it for that very reason.)

Owners of pets who have trouble training their animals without violence ( which can cause the animal to act out violently) should get help or not own an animal.
LiamIsn'tOnFire.
Idiot
LiamIsn'tOnFire.
April 15th, 2007 at 08:45am
My dad's dog bit my dad's g/f.

What did he do?

He had it put down.

THAT'S disciplining your pets, yo'.

[[okay so im leaving out the fact that a vet reccommended it cuz he had a brain problem]]
Register