Celibacy

AuthorMessage
Chile D. Guy
Basket Case
Chile D. Guy
March 21st, 2007 at 12:25pm
the catholic church always thought that sex must be made only for reproduction...they think it's very "unholy" to do it for "fun".
that's the problem with the church...stills sticks on ancient obsolete theories...
like do Islam,Judaism...well,lots of religions sticks on celibacy,as if it means a "ticket" to good life...
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
March 21st, 2007 at 09:09pm
Misanthropist:
Well, I've always thought Priest's being celibate kind of made sense in a way. They devote themselves to God and they're...I guess, a service to the people (not only that, but you don't see tons of people queing up to be a priest these days) so I think that being sexual shouldn't be an issue or an obstacle in the way of religion.

However, there are priests who are married and there are priests who choose a more disciplined route. I don't think it makes one priest better than the other, I would just have more respect for the priest who is celibate and focuses on the God he has chosen to serve.

I don't know if I fully explained that right...
I understand what you're saying, and I agree with it. I've always just assumed that when a priest devotes his life to the church he gives up wordly pleasures.

And, for anyone who said it should be a personal choice, it is a person's choice whether or not he or she becomes a priest/nun. They know ahead of time that they would become celibate, so it's not as if they're being surprised by the information. It's their choice to enter the organization of the church, therefore, it's their decision to be celibate as well.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 21st, 2007 at 09:12pm
Nickel Nausea:
well,lots of religions sticks on celibacy,as if it means a "ticket" to good life...

but they don't, it isn't about life, it's about their relationship with god in the case of priests/nuns. Having a good life isn't really the point.
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
March 21st, 2007 at 09:24pm
Kurtni:
Nickel Nausea:
well,lots of religions sticks on celibacy,as if it means a "ticket" to good life...

but they don't, it isn't about life, it's about their relationship with god in the case of priests/nuns. Having a good life isn't really the point.
that whole concept kind of died...you know there was this dude, Martin Luther (voted #2 most important person in the last 1000 years by Time) whole difused all that shit
yeah
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
March 21st, 2007 at 09:32pm
spill_no_sick:
Kurtni:
Nickel Nausea:

that whole concept kind of died...you know there was this dude, Martin Luther (voted #2 most important person in the last 1000 years by Time) whole difused all that shit
yeah
Obviously it didn't die, if there are still a bunch of celibate priests and nuns out there.

And I know all about Lutheranism. I'm not impressed with it. It's basically a spin-off of Christianity, except with less rules.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
March 21st, 2007 at 09:38pm
WeFoundTheDuck:
spill_no_sick:
Kurtni:
Nickel Nausea:

yeah
Obviously it didn't die, if there are still a bunch of celibate priests and nuns out there.

And I know all about Lutheranism. I'm not impressed with it. It's basically a spin-off of Christianity, except with less rules.
no, I'm talking about the "ticket"
that died
and Lutheranism is now called Protestantism
and it isn't a spinoff, it is closer to Christianity than Catholicism
the Bible says that it alone should be followed
Catholics have more rules and someone they have to obey, who makes the rules
that isn't very Biblical
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
March 21st, 2007 at 09:41pm
spill_no_sick:
WeFoundTheDuck:
spill_no_sick:
Kurtni:
Nickel Nausea:

yeah

no, I'm talking about the "ticket"
that died
and Lutheranism is now called Protestantism
and it isn't a spinoff, it is closer to Christianity than Catholicism
the Bible says that it alone should be followed
Catholics have more rules and someone they have to obey, who makes the rules
that isn't very Biblical
Sorry, I misunderstood.

As I understood it, Martin Luther said that priests were unnecessary, and that pople could talk directly to their god, without the help of priests, and also got rid of a bunch of rules.

And when I said spinoff, I did mean based upon Christianity.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
March 21st, 2007 at 09:55pm
WeFoundTheDuck:
Sorry, I misunderstood.

As I understood it, Martin Luther said that priests were unnecessary, and that pople could talk directly to their god, without the help of priests, and also got rid of a bunch of rules.

they used to actually sell tickets to Heaven
as in, they said, "good deeds and this thirty dollar ticket get you to Heaven"
the name is on the tip of my tongue but I'm too proud and obnoxious to look it up
but it was part of the 95 thesis
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
March 21st, 2007 at 10:17pm
spill_no_sick:
WeFoundTheDuck:
Sorry, I misunderstood.

the name is on the tip of my tongue but I'm too proud and obnoxious to look it up
I know. I think it was called "simony" but I could be wrong.

The church was super corrupt back then,,,well, not that much has changed. It's just less obvious. Rolling Eyes
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
March 22nd, 2007 at 02:21am
spill_no_sick:

Are you talking about indulgences in the middle ages? Where people were told they could reduce the amount of time spent in purgery (is that it? I've completley forgotten >_< ) by giving money to the church?
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
March 22nd, 2007 at 03:15pm
Coff:
spill_no_sick:

Are you talking about indulgences in the middle ages? Where people were told they could reduce the amount of time spent in purgery (is that it? I've completley forgotten >_< ) by giving money to the church?
dammit, and I just remembered it was called indulgences (yesterday I was so close, I kept wanting to say condolences)
but yeah, tickets to Heaven of any form are still unbiblical
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
March 22nd, 2007 at 04:31pm
'kay, if you all wanna make a Bash Catholicism thread, then go ahead.
Yeah, so plenary indulgences were "zomfg!unbilblical". But you know what?
Not every other branch of Christianity is perfect. Not even Protestantism. And I should know, the other half of my family that isn't Catholic is C of E. Even the Bible itself is not perfect.

I was under the impression that I made this thread so you could discuss Celibacy, not point out every single flaw of a religion. So, you know, that would be cool.
Plzprettyplz?
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 22nd, 2007 at 06:40pm
Bloodraine:
Not every other branch of Christianity is perfect. Not even Protestantism. And I should know, the other half of my family that isn't Catholic is C of E. Even the Bible itself is not perfect.

I was under the impression that I made this thread so you could discuss Celibacy, not point out every single flaw of a religion. So, you know, that would be cool.
Plzprettyplz?

Well, if you have issues with the Catholic faith it's going to affect the way you feel about them practicing Celibacy, so it's perfectly relevant to bring those points up.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
March 23rd, 2007 at 05:39am
Kurtni:
Bloodraine:

Plzprettyplz?

Well, if you have issues with the Catholic faith it's going to affect the way you feel about them practicing Celibacy, so it's perfectly relevant to bring those points up.

plenary indulgence has nothing to do with celibacy so it's offtopic.

If people want to discuss Martin Luther the good the bad and the down right comedy of it all then someone can come forward and make a thread.

right so i'm going off topic about being off topic XD.

----

Celibacy is about purity, it's not in every demonination of christinity but it's apart of the catholic so if you want to become a man of the cloth be it vicar/priest/clergy man but you do not want to be celibate then obviously the catholic faith is not for you

You can't pick and choose what you believe in.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
March 23rd, 2007 at 01:51pm
NeoSteph:

Celibacy is about purity, it's not in every demonination of christinity but it's apart of the catholic so if you want to become a man of the cloth be it vicar/priest/clergy man but you do not want to be celibate then obviously the catholic faith is not for you

You can't pick and choose what you believe in.
You cant if you are a priest. But I have never heard a priest of the Catholic church that was against Celibacy. If he felt in love and wanted to marry he could always quit being a priest. But that sounds like he is betraying his religion by going against its rules. I always thought that believing in God was the only thing that matters. I guess, thats why I'm not a part of any religion : /
Arcane-Inamorata
Arcane-Inamorata

Mibba
March 27th, 2007 at 10:26pm
I personally don't consider myself celibate, because that, to me, sounds like someone has given up having sex. I choose to not start having sex because it's my own morals and values. I care about my education and if I were to have a child, that may get in the way of learning, and I wouldn't know how to handle that. I believe that it is everyone's personal choice and we shouldn't say anything, bad or otherwise, about those choices.
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 12:50am
people are only celibate cause they know their never going to get any
thats why priests and nuns are so ugly

people who practive celibacy just need to get laid
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 15th, 2007 at 01:39am
Be Your Own Pet!:
people are only celibate cause they know their never going to get any
thats why priests and nuns are so ugly

people who practive celibacy just need to get laid

You are thoroughly uneducated and really need to stop polluting this forum.
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 02:00am
ok, this one seriously is my opinion, well kind of, i may have put it in a blunt, offensive manner i'll apologize for that but not for what i really meant behind it
its my opinion that celibacy is rediculous, we're all going to have diff opinion some others may not like
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 02:24pm
Be Your Own Pet!:
ok, this one seriously is my opinion, well kind of, i may have put it in a blunt, offensive manner i'll apologize for that but not for what i really meant behind it
its my opinion that celibacy is rediculous, we're all going to have diff opinion some others may not like

Well, here is an idea. Instead of acting like an uneducated fool, why don't you actually make posts that are more than 2 sentences long and explain your opinion. You don't have the right to be offensive and if you continue to do so your posts will just end up being deleted, so why don't you become a positive part of this forum.

"I think celeibacy is ridiculous" doesn't cut it, you need to explain why or no one can understand your opinion.
Register