Human Cloning

AuthorMessage
Rosey203
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Rosey203
April 3rd, 2007 at 02:51pm
I'm not for or against it really. I can see why people would be against it, but I can also see what benifits it would have.

I mean, imagine if you had a child who needed say a bone marrow or kidney transplanet, or they would die. Because you don't have to die to give bone marrow or one of your kidneys, the parents and other family members offter to be donars. None of them match. The ill person is put on the list for a transplanet, and everybody hopes that some kind donar will be a match. Nobody who is a match offers to be a donar. The child dies.

If we could make a clone of a person, then that person would have someone who is an exact match to them, and a life would be saved.
*whatshisname*
Geek
*whatshisname*
April 3rd, 2007 at 05:11pm
And what of the new person left behind? What happens to them then? You can't just throw them away, and, similarly, you can't just take them into the family (financial or living conditions or whatever).
You may save a life, but you're also ruining one.
Modest Mouse.
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Modest Mouse.
April 3rd, 2007 at 10:36pm
You can technically already do that...I can't remember the technical term but it's been dubbed 'designer babies' or 'spare parts babies'. What happens is the doctors take an egg and sperm from the parents, put it together and then edit the DNA, then put the fertilized egg(s) into the Mother, she gets pregnant and then bam, you have a saviour-baby.

I think cloning of anything is a terrible idea, we are getting ourselves mixed up in things that are way out of our depth. We shouldn't be able to clone anything, sure...it can lead to good things, but it could also lead to bad things...making new diseases for one, what if something goes wrong and then you are producing people with huge disabilities and terrible lives.
I just think that certain things have to be left to nature and cloning is very much one of them. Humans have been given a healthy curiosity and want to know more, we shouldn't let it get the better of us.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 3rd, 2007 at 11:25pm
I think there's one main huuuuuge ethical issue standing in the way, even more than the whole "It's still a human, it needs to grow." thing.

And that is that babies should be organic. People should be organic. I have the same problem with the death sentence: we are humans. Who gave us the right to take away a life? That right belongs strictly to God and nature.

And here, the creation of a life belongs strictly to God and nature. By nature, I mean a mommy and a daddy who love each other very much.
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
April 4th, 2007 at 07:48am
Cloning is a serious issue anyway. What gives us the right to play God and mess with the blueprints of nature? Humans have cloned animals, which i think is wrong anyway because no animal should be experimented on just to satisfy human curiosity. I dont see why human cloning is any worse than cloning animals, we are animals anyway, but it shouldnt be done anyway
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
April 4th, 2007 at 12:28pm
God and his ideas. What if you don't believe in God, then these ethics wont stop you, will they? I assume that when people do this kind of things they don't think about ethics and moral. Or a few of them does. My dad works on a University of agriculture as a professor. His colleague planted some mix of a potato and a tomato. Above the ground there was a tomato and in the earth you had a potato. He thought it was disgusting and wrong so he trashed it and never did anything like it again. How can we guaranty that everyone will act this way? We cant. And we cant guaranty that people will stop only on making clones of organs. Of course, my idea would stop progression of many other such as why do we make new medicines when junkies can use those as a drug, but I feel that in the subject of cloning things could get wrong. Very wrong.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 5th, 2007 at 10:48am
No matter whether you believe it or not, it's going to happen and probably in our lifetime. People can question it's importance all they want, and the doctors can gives reasons, but the real reason is, just to show that we can. Medics nowadays have this sort of game where they like to cheat God and show us that there's cool stuff that they can do too and they'll pretend like it's all for reserch, but the first cloned human will be cloned just because scientists will want to show that they can. That's why they genetically altered the 'Spider-goat' and made glowing mice. There is no importance other that being able to do it. And I do not think that it is fair.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 5th, 2007 at 10:52am
Dr. Cuddy:
God and his ideas. What if you don't believe in God, then these ethics wont stop you, will they? I assume that when people do this kind of things they don't think about ethics and moral. Or a few of them does. My dad works on a University of agriculture as a professor. His colleague planted some mix of a potato and a tomato. Above the ground there was a tomato and in the earth you had a potato. He thought it was disgusting and wrong so he trashed it and never did anything like it again. How can we guaranty that everyone will act this way? We cant. And we cant guaranty that people will stop only on making clones of organs. Of course, my idea would stop progression of many other such as why do we make new medicines when junkies can use those as a drug, but I feel that in the subject of cloning things could get wrong. Very wrong.
Agricultural cloning is already happening, and has for a very long time. My dad used to clone trees. Since trees do not have a brain and are not really 'conscious', I'd say that is far better than cloning animals.

You eat genetically altered food whether you want to or not. The orange carrot was bred for the first time in the 1800's I think. It used to come in white, yellow, and purple. Yeah, so it's not really genetically altered, but it is purposely bred to make orange ones.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 5th, 2007 at 03:11pm
Really? I didn't know that.

...I would love to eat a purple carrot.
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
April 5th, 2007 at 04:54pm
well..everyone thinks differently..so even if the two people were 100% identical on the outside...on the inside they'd most likely differ from eachother...anyways, i think the whole thing is pointless.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 6th, 2007 at 04:57am
It seems to be pointless, yes. As for cloning organs, I remember a teacher once saying something about that. When you clone something, the genetic age does not change. For example, say you clone a thirty year old. The baby clone will have thirty years less to live. If the clone doesn't get run over or contract a disease or whatever, it will die around the same time the original person dies. Provided the original dies a natural death too.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
April 6th, 2007 at 04:33pm
lyrical_mess:

Really? You see I would never do such a thing. Its awful to me. Maybe thats why I am against cloning. I cant seem to find it natural. But then again, "natural" is something we could discuss.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 11:44am
Dr. Cuddy:
lyrical_mess:

Really? You see I would never do such a thing. Its awful to me. Maybe thats why I am against cloning. I cant seem to find it natural. But then again, "natural" is something we could discuss.
It wasn't cloned. It was bred. Your anscestors 300 years ago ate white or yellow or purple carrots, so why shouldn't you?
Zoie
Zoie
April 7th, 2007 at 12:09pm
The only reason our poplulation exists is because we all have a different genetic makeup, which allows us to survive enviormental change. If everyone had the same immune system we'd of all been dead from the Black Plague...or whatever. So cloning really doens't make any sense, even for medical reasons. If the previous person died from an illness, why wouldn't the clone die from the illness too, seeing as they're exactly the same and all. And for the reason of trying to bring a loved one back...that's sick and totally creepy. And as someone already said, there's too many unwanted children in the world for us to scientificly be creating more...
wfougoafoihqfe
wfougoafoihqfe
April 7th, 2007 at 12:10pm
I understand cloning cells for testing etc.
because then you aren't harming an actual being/animal/whatever.

But I don't think we should clone whole beings, or create a sort of artificial life.
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 12:28am
cloning is interesting, im about to study it in bio
I think it should be carried out only to a point
I mean cloning whole humans sounds wrong and scary but cloning like organs and other stuff could mean saving a whole load of lives, i mean look how long people on transplant lists have to wait - that would be a thing of the past with cloning
anti social
Jackass
anti social
April 15th, 2007 at 07:05pm
i don't find any point in cloning whole humans because it isn't really practical.
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 15th, 2007 at 07:15pm
anti social:
i don't find any point in cloning whole humans because it isn't really practical.

Neither are six-inch stiletto heels.
But we do things just to prove we can.
anti social
Jackass
anti social
April 16th, 2007 at 08:50pm
druscilla; in rags:
anti social:

true, and that's probably the reason why america & other countries are so technologically advanced.

i don't think its a good idea [i'm not christian or anything, in case you were wondering], but einstien didn't think it was a good idea when he made the atomic bomb. i've just confused myself.

i hope you get the point because i don't myself o_O
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 17th, 2007 at 05:49am
anti social:
druscilla; in rags:
anti social:

true, and that's probably the reason why america & other countries are so technologically advanced.

i don't think its a good idea [i'm not christian or anything, in case you were wondering], but einstien didn't think it was a good idea when he made the atomic bomb. i've just confused myself.

i hope you get the point because i don't myself o_O
Fision and fussion. My favourite topic in physics. You're right, but he did that anyway just to show the world that he could.

The fact is that there is no stopping humans. We love power and will do stuff just to show that we have it. They will clone humans. One day, probably during our lifetime. This topic is just preperation for that, I guess.
Register