Talking about religious figures in school.

AuthorMessage
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
April 14th, 2007 at 02:50pm
I don't see the problem with that. It's actually very important to leanr about Jesus and Muhammad, seeing as Christianity is the biggest world religion and Islam is the fastest growing one. You should also know about Hinduism, Judaism, and (tooting my own horn) Buddhism. Actually, screw it. You should know something about as many religions as you can, because they have ridiculous levels of impact on people and history. It's impossible to understand half of European history without learning about Christianity.
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 14th, 2007 at 03:03pm
I think talking about religious figures as figures and nothing more is what should be done.
Telling the "other side" of the story is not something that should be done in school.
It is promoting religion and that is not something a teacher should do.
School is not the place to try and sway people into another religion, at least not by the faculty.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
April 14th, 2007 at 03:11pm
druscilla; in rags:
I think talking about religious figures as figures and nothing more is what should be done.
Telling the "other side" of the story is not something that should be done in school.
School is not the place to try and sway people into another religion, at least not by the faculty.

Good call.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with studying what the religion believes is true (their holy book et al.). We learned in Global History about what Muhammad supposedly did for at least one class period, and were expected to be able to compare and contrast any and all of the beliefs during the Regents. It's a good idea to teach the religion itself, as long as you don't start in on "this is the truth, you little bastards."
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 14th, 2007 at 03:17pm
dirtyhippie:
druscilla; in rags:

Good call.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with studying what the religion believes is true (their holy book et al.). We learned in Global History about what Muhammad supposedly did for at least one class period, and were expected to be able to compare and contrast any and all of the beliefs during the Regents. It's a good idea to teach the religion itself, as long as you don't start in on "this is the truth, you little bastards."

I can agree with that.
Teaching the religion as what one group of people believes in an informative way.
You just have to be sure not to give one religion more time than another.
For instance, ten minutes of Judaism and a class period of Christianity.
Bones
Falling In Love With The Board
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 12:25am
all religions are a bunch of bullshit
I dont think there should be a place for them in public schools, if u wanna be lied to go to a religious catholic school or whatever

And all this intelligent design shit can just fuck off, u cant argue science and evolution unless ur crazy

I believe Charles Darwin, a real person not some crap written in some book thousands of years ago when u didnt have people like Darwin to explain stuff
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 15th, 2007 at 01:37am
Be Your Own Pet!:
I dont think there should be a place for them in public schools, if u wanna be lied to go to a religious catholic school or whatever

And all this intelligent design shit can just fuck off, u cant argue science and evolution unless ur crazy

I believe Charles Darwin, a real person not some crap written in some book thousands of years ago when u didnt have people like Darwin to explain stuff

That's not the point of this thread.
The point of this thread is to discuss the discussion of religious figures in school.
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 02:02am
my point was there should be no discussion of them in public schools
i go to a public school cause as u've probally deducted im not religious in any way so i dont want to hear or learn about it, if i did i would go to a religious school
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 15th, 2007 at 12:23pm
Be Your Own Pet!:
i go to a public school cause as u've probally deducted im not religious in any way so i dont want to hear or learn about it, if i did i would go to a religious school

But it's not a discussion of "Jesus died for your sins".
It's historical.
"Christians believe that Jesus did _____."
"Muslims believe Mohamed did ____."
Etc.

Religion is extremely important to the world's history.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 12:32pm
druscilla; in rags:
Be Your Own Pet!:

But it's not a discussion of "Jesus died for your sins".
It's historical.
"Christians believe that Jesus did _____."
"Muslims believe Mohamed did ____."
Etc.

Religion is extremely important to the world's history.
Don't bother arguing them anymore. Look at the result of being close minded about religion and learning about other people. Now they're ignorant, mean, bullying, racist and blame it all on a mental condition for our smpathy. That actually does sound quite crazy to me, so there's no point in inducing it any further.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 02:34pm
Be Your Own Pet!:

Alright, you don't practice a religion, and that's perfectly fine. However that doesn't mean you shouldn't be educated about them. For example, you learn about greek mythology in school, that's a religion. You know how that is taught? From the historical point? Well thats how other religions would be taught, like that. Personally I find it to be very interesting.
Revol
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Revol

Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 03:28pm
In my school (an English public high school) we learn about religions such as "Christians believe Jesus did this...." or "Muslims believe Mohmmad did that..." rather than "Jesus did this..." etc. But I dont think we learn enough about other religions and spend alot of time on the major religions. I believe that you dont have to practice a religion to benefit from its teachings so I welcome such things being talked about at school.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
April 16th, 2007 at 01:26pm
Be Your Own Pet!:

C'mon, read the rules before you post. Let's try to keep it respectful here. "All religions are a bunch of bullshit" is disrespectful, as is "just fuck off" and so on. If you disagree, say so.

Further, Darwin could be right, but is just as susceptible to being wrong as Christianity and other such "bullshit." For instance, Darwin said that acquired traits (such as skittish behavior towards humans because of testing) cannot be passed to offspring because these traits are not genetic. But a study proves differently.

Whether or not religions are all a pack of lies, they are mostly based on the gospel from real people (in the cases of Shintoism and Hinduism, the origins are more vague), like Siddhartha, Muhammad, Abraham and Jesus. These teachings govern the lives of untold millions of people around the world, and events take place because these religions exist. If you want to understand the current state of the world today, you need to know history, and that means knowing and understanding religions.

Oh, and Druscilla: Our public school requiers us to write a paper in freshman year on a major world religion and present our findings to our peers so we can understand them all better. This includes Confucianism, Daoism and Legalism; not exactly religions, but belief systems all the same. It's a really great thing.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 08:43am
YourSnowWhiteQueen:
BAD, BAD AND BAAAAAAAADDDDDD

It is SO WRONG to BRAINWASH children in schools, i repeat SO WRONG
yeah, if its for history or whatever, sure, talk about religion

but if your preaching: STICK YOUR BIBLES UP YOUR ASSSSS

o_o in future, just don't.
just don't.
Maiku's Kind Ghost
Maiku's Kind Ghost

Mibba
June 17th, 2007 at 09:33am
Be Your Own Pet!:

That's fine and all,
But you do realize that learning about other faiths helps us better understand other peoples and helps combat ignorance.
Like for example: back in the middleages when antisemitism was rampant in Europe, it was falsely rumored that Jews used the blood of Christian Children to make Matzo.This an is a utterly ridiculous statment because Jewish culture has a very stong tabbo against blood, they have to check yolks to make sure there isn't even a little thred of blood in an egg, let alone have it be a main ingreediant in a meal.
Considering that Antisemitesm is still very strong all around the world, it wouldn't take much effort for that rumor to start up again. But to people who know about the blood tabbo, it would harder or impossible to that rumor to start. And how does one let people know about the blood tabbo, frist you teach it in schools.
define_normal
Banned
define_normal

Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 04:04pm
I'd like to bring one point up: The oppressed religion in public schools right now is Christianity. People blow up if you talk about Jesus in the public school system, but not if you talk about Buddha or Mohamed or Native American spirits! In a highschool near my house some students just got expelled for holding prayer meetings. People can talk trash about the Christian God, but if someone trashes another religion they get accused of not being open minded and multi-cultural. If religious figures are gonna be talked about in school, they must all be talked about as they really are and they must not be downplayed. The media trys to make Christianity look smaller than it is. Wouldn't the public school system do that too?
Hell, yeah! And that's not right! Tell the truth or don't talk about it at all!
Maiku's Kind Ghost
Maiku's Kind Ghost

Mibba
June 17th, 2007 at 06:02pm
define_normal:
I'd like to bring one point up: The oppressed religion in public schools right now is Christianity. People blow up if you talk about Jesus in the public school system, but not if you talk about Buddha or Mohamed or Native American spirits! In a highschool near my house some students just got expelled for holding prayer meetings. People can talk trash about the Christian God, but if someone trashes another religion they get accused of not being open minded and multi-cultural. If religious figures are gonna be talked about in school, they must all be talked about as they really are and they must not be downplayed. The media trys to make Christianity look smaller than it is. Wouldn't the public school system do that too?

Someone needs to calm down a little bit....

Socity is full of controdictions. And the thing that you have to remember is that Western and American culture and scoity are drentched with Christian values and so forth, so why would a teacher spend days and days teaching things that the kids allready know? When it's so much more valueable to teach them about something they don't know, like Buddah of Native faiths.
And to be honest, Christianity needs a good walk though the mud, It's not liveing up to it's own vaules:bashing other peoples faiths and life styles and so on.
The media has never made Christianity "smaller" then what it is. It can't considering 1/6 of the worlds populis is Christian.
define_normal
Banned
define_normal

Blog
June 17th, 2007 at 07:06pm
Maiku's Kind Ghost:
define_normal:

Socity is full of controdictions. And the thing that you have to remember is that Western and American culture and scoity are drentched with Christian values and so forth, so why would a teacher spend days and days teaching things that the kids allready know? When it's so much more valueable to teach them about something they don't know, like Buddah of Native faiths.
And to be honest, Christianity needs a good walk though the mud, It's not liveing up to it's own vaules:bashing other peoples faiths and life styles and so on.
The media has never made Christianity "smaller" then what it is. It can't considering 1/6 of the worlds populis is Christian.

True. But most "Christians" do the whole church thing because it's tradition in their family or whatever. That's just like 90% of Muslims aren't true Muslims. Teens actually don't know enough about Christianity as you think they do. A lot of the threads on this board prove it. They learn the popular beliefs, but not the truth.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
June 17th, 2007 at 09:57pm
I don't see why anyone should get offended when people are teaching the facts.

It's like, all the hardcore anti religious kids are like "oh Jesus didn't exist" and he blatantly did. Whether he was a miracle worker, is up to you, you have to make your own mind up about that. But the fact that he existed and played an important part in uniting a lot of people is part of history, and when one studies history, one must accept what has happened in the past.

I dunno, I think people look for any excuse to be offended these days, and it's just really boring.
GD Addicts Anonymous
GD Addicts Anonymous
June 18th, 2007 at 02:14am
If they're going to keep religion out of school but they want to teach about religious figures, they should just teach them in the historical sense, rather than the religious. I don't personally mind if they teach about religions or religious figures, as long as they don't try to force anyone to believe anything.
Maiku's Kind Ghost
Maiku's Kind Ghost

Mibba
July 6th, 2007 at 10:12am
define_normal:
Maiku's Kind Ghost:
define_normal:

True. But most "Christians" do the whole church thing because it's tradition in their family or whatever. That's just like 90% of Muslims aren't true Muslims. Teens actually don't know enough about Christianity as you think they do. A lot of the threads on this board prove it. They learn the popular beliefs, but not the truth.

Well, it's kinda of hard define, "The Truth" isn't it? What with all the different denominations and all.
For example, to you the Pope might be the Antichrist, but to me the Pope might be Christ's representative on Earth. To you, The Virgin Mary might be the mother of Jesus, nothing more, nothing less, To me she might be the Perpetual Virgin Mother of God.You might belive the bread and wine is symbol of Jesus, I might belive that IS Jesus.
Both of us think that what we belive is "The Turth." but how can we really be sure? You might use Bible quotes to prove your right, I might use Bible quotes and Church Tradition to prove that I'm right. Both of us think we are correct and the other is wrong. And that might vary well be the case with what the people in the other religion threads said, who you apparently think don't know anything about Christianity,they might, infact just not belive what you do

Now I might be in say, the same History Class as you, and the teacher want's to disscuss Christianity. but how can he do it fully, if there are obviously two different ideas about what "The Turth" of Christianity is?
But it turns out, the Both of us belive that Jesus preached, healed, was Cruxified ect. Now he can talk about it because we agree on something.
That's why they only disscuss the basic's or "popular" in school, the basics are the linking factors bewteen all the denominations and are the only things that everyone agrees on, and even then not everyone agrees with basics.
If a teacher where to branch off into the complicated "Turth's," he would get fired, why? because he was premoteing one ceritian faith, and he works in state run, puplic school.
Teaching about Jesus and Christianity in the context of how it realates to our world is what public school is for. Teaching "The Turth" is what Sunday School and private schools are for.
Register