Boycott YouTube!

AuthorMessage
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 11:22am
I know that many lives on here revolve around YouTube since so many people here are completely obsessed about the internet, but here I have an example of why the internet sucks.

The video sharing craze, made popular by YouTube, started in 2005 and grew enormously until the present time. Google adopted it last year and now it's not just a site, but it has it's own market and shares. Though it is very entertaining for millions of people it is also a way to anonymously humiliate and haut other individuals, as the internet has always been. YouTube takes it one step beyond when insulting videos are not taken off their website.

Recently, YouTube has been banned in Thailand due to an absolutely idiotic, out of line, humiliating and insulting video directed to the King of Thailand. There were rumours before that it was banned as well for making fun of former Prime Minister Taksin, but frankly we couldn't care less and Taksin was powerful enough to control the Ministery of Communications so decided to ban YouTube, even though we have millions of anti-Taksin graffitti everywhere anyway and the military started a coup, so whatever.

But, Thais are ferociously nasionalistic and we would probably lay ourselves down for the King and I for one cannot take that somebody would be so ignorant and abusive to humiliate not just the King, but Thais as a whole. You will find not one website to mock the King, no bitter Thai who resents him and certainly, everyone loves him. The official colour of the royal family is yellow and every Monday everyone wears yellow, I mean everyone. We are one of the most patriotic nations in the world, and this to us is a national crisis.

About a month ago or so, some Swiss guy was charged with insulting the King after he got drunk one night and draw all over a picture of the King. It was a very big issue here and all over the news. I cannot stress how devoted we are to our King. A lot of people here are very analytical. Notice how I'm stressing the our King. Well, that's who he is. Our government screwed us over which is why we had a military coup to everyone's relief. If there's one person in this country that represents everyone, it's our King.

Do you know a very long time ago, when he was young, we was supposed to give some speech at a student college somewhere overseas. A bunch of the students were planning a big protest, they were anti-monarchy, you see. I forget what the speech was about, something to do with the government I think. Before his speech, a student went up to speak, and made his opinion very clear to the King. All the tutors were obviously quite shocked about his passion for whatever his statement was, but the King was the only person in the audience to applaud. These students were all planning to march out when it was the King's turn to speak, but instead, they all stayed. Every last one, to hear what he had to say. He respected them when their teachers didn't and they now repected him back even if they didn't agree with him to the least.

Do you know what happens when we try to go to YouTube? We get this:

The official website for the Ministery of Information and Communications Technology. Of course, as you can see the address bar still says YouTube.

And a pop up.

A quick translation of the pop up: This site has been banned because of crimes against the King of Thailand. It is not accessible. Blah, blah, blah. You will be able to access it again once we have sorted out the problem. So on, so forth.

Many of you may say that this is government propoganda. A lot of you will say that it is wrong. Well, it's not, it's nationalist propaganda, and frankly nobody here cares all we want is for that video to be banned and the account to be frozen. People cannot go about insulting anyone else without any consequences and a frozen account isn't exactly a great punishment but because of the user protection, that's all which can be done. It's probably a lot to ask for, but we need a boycott so that people can notice that YouTube is not for the humiliation of a race. Some think that what Thailand is doing is stupid. Well I'm sorry, but we love our King and we stand by him. He has done so much for our country and some stupid git needs to be an arse and degrade us.

Please, I know most of you will just ignore this, but take some time to see what I'm talking about. Post a comment. Let someone know that this is wrong. Just ignore YouTube for a few days, maybe weeks, once our situation is reconised.
I really care about this. I love our King. I love my country. And people shouldn't get away with this. To me, this is very personal, and shouldn't go unpunished.

I would never bother to type this much and this time of the night unless this issue is important to me, I'm a very lazy person, so please at least read it and comment on YouTube, since I can't. If you could post a picture of the comments under this video so I can see the reaction of people, that'd be great too. I just really care about this.

Thanks for listening.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 11:50am
What's actually in the video? (I read your post, but I couldn't quite see it. mabe I'm blind. o.o)
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 11:52am
Do you know what the video is called? I want to watch it before I judge it.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 12:11pm
I don't know what it's called. But serch something like 'idiot who insults the Thai King' and you just might fing it. Or at least the latter two words might do the trick.

I of course can't see it.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 12:13pm
Anji:
I don't know what it's called. But serch something like 'idiot who insults the Thai King' and you just might fing it. Or at least the latter two words might do the trick.

So... you haven't seen it.. but you're boycotting it? I did search Thai King and nothing insulting came up.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 12:26pm
Kurtni:
Anji:

So... you haven't seen it.. but you're boycotting it? I did search Thai King and nothing insulting came up.
I've seen a screen cap of it and there were glasses drawn onto a picture of the King and stupid school boy graffitti. You know I'm not a complete idiot. I'm like 3/4 or 4/5 or something.

They must have put it under a weird name or something then.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 12:45pm
Anji:
Kurtni:
Anji:

I've seen a screen cap of it and there were glasses drawn onto a picture of the King and stupid school boy graffitti. You know I'm not a complete idiot. I'm like 3/4 or 4/5 or something.

So, it's childish silly humor like that, one video, and you're boycotting a whole site? (although this site, gsb, openly embraces youtube.. check out our video section) That makes no sense to me. All politicians get made fun of, it's part of being a politician. Having things drawn on his face is practically nothing compared to some of the things that are said about other politicians.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 12:55pm
Kurtni:
Anji:
Kurtni:
Anji:

So, it's childish silly humor like that, one video, and you're boycotting a whole site? (although this site, gsb, openly embraces youtube.. check out our video section) That makes no sense to me. All politicians get made fun of, it's part of being a politician. Having things drawn on his face is practically nothing compared to some of the things that are said about other politicians.
He's not a politician. He is a representative of every Thai person in the world. That person is making fun of all of us by poking fun at the King.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 12:55pm
Supposedly, that video isn't actually up anymore. o_o
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
April 7th, 2007 at 07:15pm
why boycott the whole site? why not just boycott that video?
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
April 8th, 2007 at 09:58pm
Bloodraine:
Supposedly, that video isn't actually up anymore. o_o
Your ava! Ahbrow [/offtopic]

I dislike YouTube generally.

And may I just state that I srsly admire how devoted you are to your king.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
April 9th, 2007 at 09:35am
From one national under a monarchy to another...have you gone completely bonkers, this is way out of proportion to the problem.

Ok it's bad taste to poke fun at a figurehead but the Thai person who posted that had the right to show their view of the king, It doesn't matter how big the majority is that is against that view, the whole idea of a democratic country it to allow the freedom of speech in it's many forms

One part of your speech that impressed me was how the king answered to the students who questioned his authority, so the king LET them have their voice. why can't this slightly immature voice be heard. Satire and comedy in the british press have been one of the biggest players in percieving a monarch or a politician you have to let it be heard.

The fact thailand has now banned an entire site because of this one insignificant post shows signs of a dictator. Where any opposing voice is silenced. The fact the thai people not only allow this, but support this breach of human rights to take place shows no back bone in your part and that believe me is something i'm very sorry to say.
rehabreject
Jackass
rehabreject
April 9th, 2007 at 04:39pm
^ Interesting comment, I never thought about it from that point of view - as a violation of human rights.
Yes, it does seem a bit drastic to ban the whole site because of one ridiculous video.
Youtube is avaliable to millions of people across the world and, despite it's benefits, you will always find idiots. But that's no reason to deny everyone else a perfectly good website.
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 9th, 2007 at 05:36pm
I think it's freedom of speech.
Homosexual Spencer
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Homosexual Spencer

Mibba
April 9th, 2007 at 05:36pm
I go on youtube all the time blut I know that if someone insulted our Queen there would be a national uproar, I see the great respect you have for your King, although, it might have been simpler to have just deleted that one video than to ban a whole site.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
April 9th, 2007 at 07:39pm
EvilChicken:
I go on youtube all the time blut I know that if someone insulted our Queen there would be a national uproar, I see the great respect you have for your King, although, it might have been simpler to have just deleted that one video than to ban a whole site.
If someone insulted Bush all the Americans would...cheer.

Lololol @ us.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
April 9th, 2007 at 07:44pm
tsk! LOL
oh come on... every one is in someway humiliated or taken the micky of in someway on that sight weather it be race, sex, ethnicly or if they are gay straight bi undecided.
WHATEVER!... its a fact... get over it allready LOL

im from the uk and our queen has been the target for some childish behavour but its more childish to be in uproar over it take it with a pinch of salt. (there are people who wont like you its matter of fact and matter of life.)

and why boycotte youtube?.. i mean if you want to thats fine.. dont pursuade others to on your behalf! LOL thats insane Smile

Thanks.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
April 9th, 2007 at 07:46pm
also the president of the united states has been targeted many times and many other people of authority!.. it dosnt even have to be cause they dont like the person or whatever it might be because there an easyer target.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 9th, 2007 at 08:24pm
WeFoundTheDuck:
EvilChicken:

Lololol @ us.

Mr. Green If we banned every site that dissed bush we would have no internet anymore.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
April 9th, 2007 at 08:33pm
Kurtni:
WeFoundTheDuck:
EvilChicken:

Lololol @ us.

Mr. Green If we banned every site that dissed bush we would have no internet anymore.
lmfao

Too true.
Register