Rap Music

AuthorMessage
PCG
Jackass
PCG

Mibba Blog
January 9th, 2009 at 08:08am
Rap's not my thing.
There are some rap songs that I can tolerate, hell maybe a few I even like, but it's really not my thing. I'm not very fond of it tbh and I can't stand it when people act all "gangsta" to be cool, which is why rap really isn't my thing. 1,000th post!
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
January 9th, 2009 at 12:07pm
This whole post is a big fat duh.

Obv white people can rap. I'm listening to that right now [early Chilis] Mr. Green
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
January 9th, 2009 at 12:09pm
And I don't say rap is the genre putting out this crap
It's manistream music, and rap/hip-hop is the biggest genre of this generation. In the 90's it was pop, the 60s it was rock, and so on.
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
January 9th, 2009 at 05:24pm
I dont know much about rap but i do know not all rap is like solja boy and some of it does have meaning, it was just misused by the media like every music genre. When i did my 90s project last year i noticed alot of rap was actually about issues in the african american community, so its not fair to say all rap sucks. People complain about how rap fans act ghetto but alot of the people who say that act emo or really non conformist when they are not, so it really makes no sense.

Also Alex 90's was all about alternitive music not pop obv.
Ally Way
Geek
Ally Way
January 15th, 2009 at 01:04am
I dislike Rap haha
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
January 15th, 2009 at 12:10pm
Danny Callahan.:
I dont know much about rap but i do know not all rap is like solja boy and some of it does have meaning, it was just misused by the media like every music genre. When i did my 90s project last year i noticed alot of rap was actually about issues in the african american community, so its not fair to say all rap sucks. People complain about how rap fans act ghetto but alot of the people who say that act emo or really non conformist when they are not, so it really makes no sense.

Also Alex 90's was all about alternitive music not pop obv.
late 90s. when britney spears rolled around, I meant
Dom
Jackass
Dom
April 19th, 2009 at 06:19am
I don't know why people have such a problem with violent and mysoginist lyrics. Punks write songs about wanking, theres plenty of rock songs about killing people or songs about fighting. The idea that controversial content is exclusively a rap thing is a generalisation and just wrong. Frank Zappa for example, one of the biggest musical geniuses of the 20th Century, sang about dykes, raping cheerleaders, and penguins in bondage. Sure he's probably being ironic, and he's definately being funny, in much the same way Randy Newman is when he's picking on short people.
dysLEXIa
King For A Couple Of Days
dysLEXIa
April 20th, 2009 at 10:44pm
Exactly, rock can be just as bad as hip hop..in terms of lifestyle and lyrics.

Generally though, I see rock as the "smarter" type of music. Not to put anyone down, but you USUALLY do not see strong lyrics in most Hip-Hop/Rap Music, and the lifestyle encouraged is generally lower.

I don't know anyone who listens to only Rap/Hip Hop who live a positive lifestyle.

Probably a generalization, but it's all I've seen thus far, and I know (as with everything) there ARE exceptions to this....
Joel McHale.
Joel McHale.

Blog
April 21st, 2009 at 01:01am
I used to be extremely ignorant about it, but I realised, not all rap is bad, it has good and bad, just like every genere. I now enjoy a little bit of it, like Mc Hammer.

'Stop! Hammer Time.'
paper shoes
This Board Is My Home
paper shoes
April 21st, 2009 at 05:31pm
Dom:
I don't know why people have such a problem with violent and mysoginist lyrics. Punks write songs about wanking.
How is masturbation violent/misogynistic?
FandomLocked
FandomLocked
March 23rd, 2011 at 04:55pm
I personally HATE rap,I just cant stand it
I know some people like it but it just gets on my nerves
I dont really see why so many people like it
alot of the kids at my school listen to it and I dont see why
I mean yes everyone is entiled to their own opinion
but I still dont get it...
I hate how they repeat so much in rap,I mean they're not even singing just talking
really really fast and they're really hard to understand,some of you are probably thinking you cant understand Scream-O either which is still somewhat true,but I'd rather listen to Scream-O than Rap
I am NOT racist so dont even think for a second I am,I just dont like rap none of it
not even Eminem I dont like Hip-Hop either because it's basically the same as rap
I just dont see why Rap/Hip-Hop is so popular,but maybe thats just me
bi_bu_ra
Rotting On Here
bi_bu_ra

Mibba
March 23rd, 2011 at 05:53pm
how did you contribute to the discussion with this post? you just bumped a two years old thread to say that crap.
FandomLocked
FandomLocked
March 23rd, 2011 at 05:59pm
theskyjogger:
how did you contribute to the discussion with this post? you just bumped a two years old thread to say that crap.

because basically it's still true its still the popular/mainstream music
in the world,and it's still just as bad as it was 2 years ago,if not worse,and besides I'm just stating my opinion,everyones entiled to their own opinion
Dana.
This Board Is My Home
Dana.

Blog
March 23rd, 2011 at 10:47pm
I don't really like Rap because it is very bad. I do like Flobots, though, because they are very political and fun too.
MAD CUNT
Basket Case
MAD CUNT

Blog
March 24th, 2011 at 07:14am
American_Minority:
I hate how they repeat so much in rap

"are we we are, are we we are the waiting
and screaming are we we are, are we we are the waiting unknown
are we we are, are we we are the waiting
and screaming are we we are, are we we are the waiting unknown
are we we are, are we we are the waiting unknown"

Repetition is a huge part of the lyrics most musical genres...

I'm not a fan of rap specifically, but I can appreciate that, when done well, it can be humorous or politically motivated through its lyrics; it can highlight the societal problems of the lower orders. (I'm mainly thinking of Eminem's old stuff here.)
And Dana, saying 'it is very bad' needs some kind of substantiation to add to the discussion, otherwise you're just as bad as the 12-year-olds!
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
March 24th, 2011 at 09:46am
I'm really not into rap or hip hop, but I love gangsters delight and The Message by Grandfather Flash.
Like, old school hip hop is funny and uplifting, and I think that a lot of recent hip hop or rap is mostly negative Dno
wfougoafoihqfe
Falling In Love With The Board
wfougoafoihqfe
March 24th, 2011 at 02:56pm
In pretty much any genre or sect of popular culture; music, literature, art, whatever, there's going to be examples of violence and discrimination and all the rest of it.
Equally, there's going to be positives in all genres.

A further note on rap/hip-hop (although it could apply to many genres):
The lyrics don't necessarily reflect the actual actions of the band etc.
I'm gonna use beastie boys as an example, cause I'm a predictable little thing Wink
In their early career they wrote songs about stuff like shooting people and nicking cars and shit, which is pretty much ridiculous, given their lives/backgrounds.
Also they started as a punk band so suck on that y'all Cool

Furthermore, many songs citing gang violence etc. can be viewed as merely a reflection of the artist's circumstance/upbringing etc.

I dunno. I suppose my opinion of rap has changed in the past few years. At 13 I would have probably jumped on the "all rap sucks" float. I'm guessing musical preference has some sort of influence on prejudices towards it, unfortunately. Just like some might say that kids are satanists because they listen to heavy rock.
FandomLocked
FandomLocked
March 24th, 2011 at 06:52pm
I mean by it when they they keep repeating before they even get the word out kind of like in blame it "blame it on the al-al-al-alchol."
thats the repeating I hate it sounds like they're fricikn stuttering
Garus
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Garus
March 25th, 2011 at 05:58am
I loves me sum Mimmmms Cool
wfougoafoihqfe
Falling In Love With The Board
wfougoafoihqfe
March 25th, 2011 at 03:22pm
American_Minority:
I mean by it when they they keep repeating before they even get the word out kind of like in blame it "blame it on the al-al-al-alchol."
thats the repeating I hate it sounds like they're fricikn stuttering
why don't you all just f-f-f-faade away
d-don't try to dig what we all s-s-say

the who did that yeaaaaars ago...
Register