Organ Donation

AuthorMessage
EvilGiraffe!
Addict
EvilGiraffe!

Blog
July 20th, 2007 at 12:37am
I'm 99% sure there isn't a topic for this..but if there is...sorry!!

Basically, Organ Donation is when a person agrees that, when they die, certain parts of there body can be removed and transplanted into other peoples bodies to save their lives.

Personally, I think it is a wonderful thing.
If I, or a relative was in a situation where they would die if they did not have a transplant...and then someone donated the organ they needed, that would be the most amazing and wonderful thing that could happen. No one could do anything greater.
Also, I am more than happy to become an organ donor, as if I'm dead, it wouldn't matter what they took out of me..and if it could save someones life I don't see why anyone would refuse...

There's only one problem though...

"Children who are under 12 in Scotland and under 18 in the rest of the UK at the time of registration will require their parent or guardian's agreement for donation to take place. "

My parents won't agree. I've wanted to register for 2 years now, and I can't wait another 3. If, god forbid, something happened to me, wouldn't it be best to save someone elses life if they couldn't save mine?
My parents don't agree though, and they've said there is no point in asking them.
Can anyone help me persuade them??

..and, obvioulsy, what are your opinions on this topic...?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 20th, 2007 at 06:15pm
I donate blood regularly. It's a good thing to do (I know it's not an organ) because firstly, your body gets used to regenerating blood; secondly, it gets tested so you can make sure you're always healthy; and thirdly, it saves lives.

I'm a rare AB negative so there aren't many other people out there who have this type meaning that if someone does need my blood, it's good that I'm donating it, and if something happens to me, I can use my own blood.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 20th, 2007 at 06:17pm
I don't think there's anything you can do to persuade them, they're your parents, they don't want to have to think about that stuff.

Just, stay careful until you turn eighteen.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
July 20th, 2007 at 06:24pm
I'm planning to sign up as an organ donor when I go to get my license. I agree with you, that it's a very important step. If something happens to me, and my organs can go to save the life of another, then I'm all for it.

I haven't donated blood. I'm so terrified of needles it's scary. But next year, when the blood drive comes round to my school, I'm going to sign up and donate. My eyes just have to stay closed the entire time.
CopperheaD
Geek
CopperheaD
July 20th, 2007 at 10:24pm
I think every single person in the world should be autopsied when they die. I don't know about anyone else, but i don't care what happens to my body when i'm dead. And it would save so many lives. I've seen some NHS documentaries and it's quite heartbreaking with all those desperate people trying to live.
GD Addicts Anonymous
Falling In Love With The Board
GD Addicts Anonymous
July 21st, 2007 at 12:15am
I think organ donation is a very good thing. Anything that can help save lives is good. Donating blood is good too, I plan on doing that when I can. It's going to sound weird considering what I just said about organ donation, but personally, I'm still not going to donate when I die. I'd just like to be left in peace. But if you do decide to donate, more power to ya.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
July 22nd, 2007 at 03:54am
GD Addicts Anonymous:
I think organ donation is a very good thing. Anything that can help save lives is good. Donating blood is good too, I plan on doing that when I can. It's going to sound weird considering what I just said about organ donation, but personally, I'm still not going to donate when I die. I'd just like to be left in peace. But if you do decide to donate, more power to ya.
Not to be mean, but I think that's a little selfish. You aren't going to be using your organs when your dead, and there's a whole list of people who would die without them.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 22nd, 2007 at 10:14am
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
GD Addicts Anonymous:
Not to be mean, but I think that's a little selfish. You aren't going to be using your organs when your dead, and there's a whole list of people who would die without them.
Sometimes there are religious aspects to it. It's disrespectful to the dead, one can't go into the afterlife, etc.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
July 22nd, 2007 at 04:26pm
Having both recieved an emergency blood tranfusion and lost an internal organ...

...I think it's a great thing. But I'm waaaay biased.

I, um, don't plan on dying in the next two years so I haven't really talked to my parents about it (I mean, what sixteen year old discusses their own death?), but I'm sure they'd think I was doing completely the right thing if I put myself on the organ donor register.

I'd also like to donate my blood but I don't think I'm old enough, yet. I've been told I have a rare blood type, so I'm sure it would be useful. The only thing I don't like about it is I really don't like the feeling of canulas and needles inside my hand (it's just way uncomfortable), but I can get over that.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
July 22nd, 2007 at 04:28pm
Oh wait
https://secure.blood.co.uk/vi_c11_cant.asp
You should not give blood if:

9: You have received blood or think you may have received blood during the course of any medical treatment or procedure anywhere in the world since 1st January 1980.

bummer.
Holly Golightly
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Holly Golightly
July 22nd, 2007 at 10:31pm
well,i think that it is good...when i'll die my organs'll be unusefull for me...so,why not?...
blood?well,i'd like to donate it,but i don't even know my blood type...and i don't know is it usefull for somebody...but,i'll repeat,i don't mind....
so,if you want my blood...you're welcome...
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
July 23rd, 2007 at 03:02am
Anji:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
GD Addicts Anonymous:
Sometimes there are religious aspects to it. It's disrespectful to the dead, one can't go into the afterlife, etc.
I've heard of that. My friend is Jewish, and she has to have everything she came into life with to be able to go to heaven.

But there still are a lot of people who just don't think of donating organs, or don't want to, and it bothers me a little. On the level that if my loved one needed an organ, you could be getting buried with it. You know?
Grandma
Geek
Grandma

Blog
July 23rd, 2007 at 11:59am
I am a registered donor in my country, so in theory when I die those organs that can be harvested should be taken. However, the law as it stands in NZ prevents such a conclusion without the written permission of my next-of-kin. Which means despite the fact I have willingly donated my organs, if they have any reservations and do not wish to allow the donation to occur, then it will not. Our Government has recognised this as an issue and is currently re-writing the law so to speak. My own view point is that if I am brain dead I no longer require those organs and if they can save one life or many, then that would be a gift I am happy to make to others.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
July 25th, 2007 at 08:53pm

"Children who are under 12 in Scotland and under 18 in the rest of the UK at the time of registration will require their parent or guardian's agreement for donation to take place. "

I got into an argument with my Aunt over this. She works in a hospital, shes a nurse, and she says that even if you have an organ donor card with your consent to donate your organs thats not enough. I was like, what the hell, you're crazy. Why would they even make you get one then?

So, I did my research to prove her wrong... and she was right O_O. That aggrivates me so much. I mean, your husband,wife, children or parents are going to be tramatized enough as it is, I can easily see how it would be difficult for them to consent to having your body cut up and having your organs taken out might be. Psychologically, it would be like losing even more of you. Even if they knew its what you wanted, it would be hard. They shouldn't have to make that choice; there is enough on their minds as it is.
JAR201
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
JAR201
July 25th, 2007 at 09:43pm
i'm an organ donor. i mean what am i going to do with them?!

also, don't be so negative - i'm sure you wont die in the next two years and can go on organ donating after that!
Mike Dirnt.
Mike Dirnt.

Mibba
July 26th, 2007 at 03:28pm
I plan to be an organ donor and at one stage in my life, I want to give blood.
The only thing stopping me is my atrocious fear of needles. I can't stand them. But I'm going to pluck up the courage one day. It could also be conquering a fear of mine.
Although I wouldn't know it, the thought of saving someone's life because they were able to use my organs is brilliant to me. I'd love to save somebody's life if they couldn't save mine.
I mean, really, what am I going to need my organs for when I'm dead?
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
July 26th, 2007 at 05:00pm
Kurtni:

I got into an argument with my Aunt over this. She works in a hospital, shes a nurse, and she says that even if you have an organ donor card with your consent to donate your organs thats not enough. I was like, what the hell, you're crazy. Why would they even make you get one then?

So, I did my research to prove her wrong... and she was right O_O. That aggrivates me so much. I mean, your husband,wife, children or parents are going to be tramatized enough as it is, I can easily see how it would be difficult for them to consent to having your body cut up and having your organs taken out might be. Psychologically, it would be like losing even more of you. Even if they knew its what you wanted, it would be hard. They shouldn't have to make that choice; there is enough on their minds as it is.
I agree with you completely dear.

And did you happen to find out anything about wills? Such as if I had one of those living wills made that said, "If I'm in a condition where I will not recover, please pull the plug and hand out my organs to anyone who needs them," Would my family still be able to fight me on that?
SpiderPig
Idiot
SpiderPig
July 27th, 2007 at 02:01pm
I agree with organ donation i mean its kind of selfish why shouldn't we save someone and allow them a second chance at life just because we have died, look at it this way when we die if we allow organ donations then another person gets the chance to live and their family do not have to go through the pain and heart ache of seeing someone they love die.
I dont think you can persuade your parents
Its best to wait untill you dont need your parents consent rather than argue till your blue in the face when you know your not going to get anywhere with it, just wait untill you are able to do it without concent.
pamplemousse
Idiot
pamplemousse
July 30th, 2007 at 09:08pm
I agree entirely with organ donation.
I am an organ donor, as well. I can't remember if I had to get parental consent, though.
Hitchcock Starlet
Addict
Hitchcock Starlet
July 31st, 2007 at 02:48pm
I think that's a great thing to do.
I'd like to donate my organs when I die.

It's a nice way of helping other people when you die.
Register