Media and the Religious Problems

AuthorMessage
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 12th, 2007 at 10:07am
And also, I think that believeing that The Beatles were telling them all these foreboding war stories, supposedly, and them actually hearing it from their albums was also a great influence on them, I just couldn't imagine how.
TragicCaseofMyReality
King For A Couple Of Days
TragicCaseofMyReality
August 12th, 2007 at 10:30am
Anji:
And also, I think that believeing that The Beatles were telling them all these foreboding war stories, supposedly, and them actually hearing it from their albums was also a great influence on them, I just couldn't imagine how.

I think that its most likely that drugs might have had a slightly bigger influence than The Beatles albums. because psychedelics were popular at that time if I'm remembering correctly and those have definitely been known to mess with your head. and it would not be good if when you are supposedly being shown "enlightenment" you are also under the influence of someone like Charles Manson.

though this is just an opinion...
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 12th, 2007 at 10:34am
They did engage in drugs and orgies apparently. Maybe people back then were more influencial? I mean, the theory of 'propaganda' and 'brain washing' emmerged in the 60's.
TragicCaseofMyReality
TragicCaseofMyReality
August 12th, 2007 at 10:50am
Anji:
They did engage in drugs and orgies apparently. Maybe people back then were more influencial? I mean, the theory of 'propaganda' and 'brain washing' emmerged in the 60's.

Well I don't know about people being more influencial back then, I think that they might have more avenues to get their propaganda across to their desired audience nowadays. I mean television is certainly a much more prominent fixture throughout the world now then back in the '60s and the internet will certainly pass along a message more thoroughly and quickly than was possible then. And though there was certainly " propaganda" and "brainwashing" going on before the '60s, I would agree that it became quite obvious and more widely used than ever before at that time...

and I'm going to say here that I'm not trying to say that I don't think that music is influencial. Quite the contrary actually, however I do believe that music is hardly ever the sole purpose or even a big contributing factor in the reasons that these deeply tortured and troubled people go out and commit murder.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 12th, 2007 at 10:55am
The theory of propaganda came about in the 60's, is what I said. After that, people became more and more alert to what they were being told. After the 60's everything was propaganda, or 'leftist' or 'rightist', and the term 'brain washing' became increasingly commonly used. I think there is a deeper analysis of media now since the 60's.
TragicCaseofMyReality
TragicCaseofMyReality
August 12th, 2007 at 11:01am
Anji:
The theory of propaganda came about in the 60's, is what I said. After that, people became more and more alert to what they were being told. After the 60's everything was propaganda, or 'leftist' or 'rightist', and the term 'brain washing' became increasingly commonly used. I think there is a deeper analysis of media now since the 60's.

Again-I'm no expert on the subject (obviously) Smiley
so thanks for giving my brain some more knowledge Mr. Green
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 12th, 2007 at 11:06am
Well, I just think that Harry Potter seems to be a victim of this increasing paranoid. People are sure that everything must have some underlying message, which is true, but people also believe that it is a dangerous or bad message, as well because otherwise, why write it into a story, why not just say so.

Also, because Hollywood has such a liberal bias, media in general is now viewed as bad.
TragicCaseofMyReality
TragicCaseofMyReality
August 12th, 2007 at 11:25am
Anji:
Well, I just think that Harry Potter seems to be a victim of this increasing paranoid. People are sure that everything must have some underlying message, which is true, but people also believe that it is a dangerous or bad message, as well because otherwise, why write it into a story, why not just say so.

Also, because Hollywood has such a liberal bias, media in general is now viewed as bad.

I would delete but I don't know how...
TragicCaseofMyReality
TragicCaseofMyReality
August 12th, 2007 at 11:35am
Anji:

I think thats true. I mean all these people who claim that something is "evil" as soon as they hear "witchcraft" or "sorcery" should take a closer look at what they are calling evil. I mean Harry Potter is great (as has already been established in this thread Wink ) for many reasons. I mean it inspires people of all ages to pick up a book and use their imaginations instead of picking up the remote and letting someone else do it for them. I can say for certain that if someone told me that i'd ever finish a book that was almost 900 pages and wish there was still about another 200 pages when i was finished before I started to read Harry Potter-I would have told them they were crazy. This is a series that got people excited about reading. If they just read one for themselves then they wouldn't be able to say that its trying to turn kids to witchcraft. But instead they choose turn their earmuffs and blinders on and condemn a great thing out of ignorance... such a shame...
robotchicken.
Falling In Love With The Board
robotchicken.

Mibba
August 14th, 2007 at 05:11am
I dont remember what show it was[I watch alot of IFC's specials they all seem to mix together O_o] About how Christian people[and the special wasn't picking on them specifically or anyone] were making a big deal about the movie The Last Temptation Of Christ and how it depicted Jesus in a very bad light. And reporters were asking some of the people outside boycotting the movie why was it so bad and stuff and many of them said "I dont know I haven't seen it but...." and go on to make a remark about only "hearing" what was in it. I havent seen this movie in a long time so I really can't remeber if it depicted Christ in like a very bad way, it just upset me that they didn't even see the movie and make comments on it afterward. Just jumping to conclusions cause your friend said this and that.
Other thing: Can anyone refresh my memory on the movie?
porcelain-star
Geek
porcelain-star
August 14th, 2007 at 07:57am
i seriously think the world would be better off without religion.
a.)there would be less conflict between people with different beliefs
b.)people would ave more freedom to do what THEY want, not what their religion dictates to them. This also relates to kids saying "they have to believe in a religion coz their parents do" and growing up with those beliefs burned into their head, without beng given time to choose.
c.)and people would become way more open-minded and educated on things like science and the true story of creation...
TragicCaseofMyReality
TragicCaseofMyReality
August 14th, 2007 at 10:56am
Paislee LeStrange:
b.)people would ave more freedom to do what THEY want, not what their religion dictates to them. This also relates to kids saying "they have to believe in a religion coz their parents do" and growing up with those beliefs burned into their head, without beng given time to choose.
c.)and people would become way more open-minded and educated on things like science and the true story of creation...

That actually makes alot of sense... Think
I agree.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 16th, 2007 at 08:29am
Paislee LeStrange:

Very Happy well you don't seem to be very open minded if you've already decided what the "true story of creation is"
Jax.
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
Jax.
August 16th, 2007 at 11:24am
Paislee LeStrange:
I say I actually agree apart from that one point I've hi-lighted.

My mum is Christian and goes to church quite regularly, but she never forces me to go or do anything against my own will, even though I was christened when I was a young baby.

But I really do blame religion for 90% of wars. But then the media doesn't help because it does only seem to point out the negative points in the religion.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
August 16th, 2007 at 05:28pm
I don't think religion is the problem. Its the people. Everytime something pops up, we make a huge fuss about it and the religious ones among us can always find a reason to go "Look! This goes against [inset religious scripture here]."

Some guy once dressed up as Krishna and posed on the cover of a magazine, blue body paint and everything. There was a frenzy and all these Hindu groups petitioned and protested. Because a guy posed for a magazine. Rolling Eyes

Actually, while we're on the subject, a lot of Hindu and even a few Muslim groups (I think) are being very...anal about some TV shows here. They're saying it undermines religious teachings of modesty and that western influence is destroying our moral cultrue. Some guy wanted to have all English channels cancelled and banned. He was the leader of some group or the other. He was going on about how the English channels promote dating and open relationships which belittles and degrades Hindu morals and all that jazz.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 16th, 2007 at 05:42pm
It's Asian morals in general, innit? Asians are conservatie by nature.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
August 16th, 2007 at 10:03pm
This controversial Croatian priest wrote on his blog that he is happy that Harry Potter is finally over, but that the world will find new ways to brainwash kids. He also said that Harry Potter is a perversity and that he doesn't think its a coincidence that Daniel Radcliffe acted in Equus.

Seriously, Daniel Radcliffe isn't Harry Potter. He didn't one day pop up from the book and said Hi, I'm Harry Potter lol. If that dumbass priest read the book he would know that there isn't a touch of perversity there. Or even swear language, except for that "bitch" in DH.

Harry kisses Cho. Kissing before marriage is allowed.
Lupin has a baby with Tonks. After they got married.

Actually everyone has kids after marriage, there are no explicit scenes of sex, masturbation, prostitution, pedophiles, no one is gay (except in your heads, slashers) etc. There is nothing that crosses with the 6th commandment.

Its a children`s book, it cant be perversive.

But Croatian catholics are the dumbest, it doesn't surprise me anymore.
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
August 16th, 2007 at 10:42pm
The problem is just dumb people in general. Coolio Well dumb, from the view of others. Coolio

The whole HP thing is completely ridiculous at all. If you're not narrow minded and retarded, you just need to think for one second and you would notice that it's not sartanic or whatever. kjdfhgdjkfh.

But I mean, I would have been surprised if no one complained about the actor of Harry Potter appearing naked on stage. Although it's ridiculous, but people like complaining and being dumb so yeah. Con
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
August 16th, 2007 at 10:43pm
Lupinator:

Harry kisses Cho. Kissing before marriage is allowed.
Lupin has a baby with Tonks. After they got married.

Also, Lupin asks Harry to become the godfather. And Mrs. Weasley says "Thank God" in one of those situations. Con
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
August 17th, 2007 at 12:24pm
Lupinator:
no one is gay (except in your heads, slashers)

lmfaolmfaolmfao stfu.

Anyway.

Since Harry Potter is all about ~love~ vs. evil, and since Jesus was all 'The law of Love FTW', I think there is actually a strong argument for saying that HP and the Bible have some things in common. Even if HP kinda says that love is good, and the bible says love is good or else god will smite you.

lmfao Joking, Sorry. I don't mean to be ~controversial~.
Register