Media and the Religious Problems

AuthorMessage
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
August 22nd, 2007 at 03:14pm
NeoSteph:
Because it's dangerous, you can't control spirits and you should let the dead rest in peace. Or its completely fake which is dangerous for other reason because so called readers are manipulating people who maybe are trying to contact someone they love.
Mehh.. who are the Catholic Church to deem what's 'dangerous'??

War is dangerous and the church has caused the most wars.. like ever. Coolio

..and manipulation?! Don't you think the Church manipulates people into believing what they want to believe? Hypocrites.
robotchicken.
Falling In Love With The Board
robotchicken.

Mibba
August 22nd, 2007 at 06:47pm
Harry Potter.:
what's wrong with magic? omgno
I think cause it messes with the natural law of things [if magic exists that is] I mean if it does exist and say you do a spell to bring a cat back to life because it got hit by a car, that wouldn't be natural and I guess some religions see it like that. Only I can see :/
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
August 22nd, 2007 at 09:24pm
bjtp:
NeoSteph:
Because it's dangerous, you can't control spirits and you should let the dead rest in peace. Or its completely fake which is dangerous for other reason because so called readers are manipulating people who maybe are trying to contact someone they love.

..and manipulation?! Don't you think the Church manipulates people into believing what they want to believe? Hypocrites.
You have a point there.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 23rd, 2007 at 01:06pm
bjtp:
NeoSteph:

Who are the government to condemn whats dangerous, who are the police, the school officials and any other establishment of power. It's not just the catholic church for pete sakes pretty much every religion on the planet are against the use of witchcraft because of what it appears to do. The oujji board is dangerous either through actually bringing back evil spirits or it's a very cruel way of manipulating people in an emotionally crippling situation. The church is not only a place of worship or a set of rules, the true ideals of religion is to protect it's worshippers as a government is suppose to protect it's public or a school teacher his pupils.

Actually thats a false statement, in fact the two most catastrophic wars of the last century were caused by a state that was remotely about worshipping the government and condemed many many religions. With the exception of the Israelis Palestinian conflict, every war or conflict in the last century has not been about religion but money, power and politics. they are the evils that corrupt and manipulate it's followers. not the church who in times of need reach out to help the trodden

But ofcourse it's easier to blame a building.

Hypocrites.
Everyone is a hypocrite. Because the world is constantly changing and our thoughts and views must change with it, this includes the bible. Some things written down a 1000 years ago can't be followed because it just can't be done. for example not working on the sabbath, in a growing economy that needs to supports millions of unemployed you can't do it. HOWEVER fundamental laws can be and thats why the church are viewed as hypocrites because it seems like there handpicking what to follow and thats not the case.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
August 23rd, 2007 at 04:24pm
NeoSteph:
Who are the government to condemn whats dangerous, who are the police, the school officials and any other establishment of power. It's not just the catholic church for pete sakes pretty much every religion on the planet are against the use of witchcraft because of what it appears to do. The oujji board is dangerous either through actually bringing back evil spirits or it's a very cruel way of manipulating people in an emotionally crippling situation. The church is not only a place of worship or a set of rules, the true ideals of religion is to protect it's worshippers as a government is suppose to protect it's public or a school teacher his pupils.

Actually thats a false statement, in fact the two most catastrophic wars of the last century were caused by a state that was remotely about worshipping the government and condemed many many religions. With the exception of the Israelis Palestinian conflict, every war or conflict in the last century has not been about religion but money, power and politics. they are the evils that corrupt and manipulate it's followers. not the church who in times of need reach out to help the trodden

But ofcourse it's easier to blame a building.

Hypocrites.
Everyone is a hypocrite. Because the world is constantly changing and our thoughts and views must change with it, this includes the bible. Some things written down a 1000 years ago can't be followed because it just can't be done. for example not working on the sabbath, in a growing economy that needs to supports millions of unemployed you can't do it. HOWEVER fundamental laws can be and thats why the church are viewed as hypocrites because it seems like there handpicking what to follow and thats not the case.
I really have to disagree that "the true ideals of religion is to protect it's worshippers ", other than offering people the opiate of life after death, how does religion protect its worshippers? By teaching them morals and not to do wrong? That is not exclusive to religion.

As for religion not being the main cause of war, but money, power and politics, sure they may be the underlying reasons behind, for example the American/Middle Eastern oil war. But what about extremists on both sides that chose to hate, and fight, purely on the basis of their religious beliefs?

Lastly, I didn't say that the church was hypocritical because it picks and choses which rules to follow and which to discard, I'm not. I agree that a book written 2000 years ago does not apply to todays living in every conceivable way, as it perhaps once did. However, the main teachings and message remains the same. THAT is what I am saying is hypocritical. When you actually get down to it and read the Bible, the rules in which it states believers should live by are very different from the ways in which the individuals conducted their lives.
schooldropout
Banned
schooldropout

Blog
August 25th, 2007 at 07:13pm
Faith is no longer ran by a "God" Its ran by a person, you don't have to prove anything to god because he apparantly loves us for who we are. But why does people who are priests condem us for not following gods expectations, when in reality its peoples.
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
August 26th, 2007 at 03:39am
Paislee LeStrange:
i seriously think the world would be better off without religion.
a.)there would be less conflict between people with different beliefs
b.)people would ave more freedom to do what THEY want, not what their religion dictates to them. This also relates to kids saying "they have to believe in a religion coz their parents do" and growing up with those beliefs burned into their head, without beng given time to choose.
c.)and people would become way more open-minded and educated on things like science and the true story of creation...
But in what ways has religion helped? It's not all bad you've missed pointing that out. If the was no religion I think we'd find something else to blame for our human conflicts and hide behind that something else. People have always had the freedom to do what they want, they're just simply scared because they really dont know whats out there, no one does. What about the children whose parents raise them to be athiest? Isnt that also brainwashing? No matter what way your parents bring you up in direct its still a simple form of brainwashing because they're instilling in you what they think is right. And no one really knows the true story creation, isn't it all theory right about now? We aren't free to do whatever we want at all. There are still laws and things like that that keep us from getting away with murder and other horrible things. But the horrible things that are condemned by law come from the point of view of some people so why should we still follow them just cause some people think they're right? Why are we only questioning people who follow the rules of their religion?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 28th, 2007 at 05:59pm
schooldropout:
Faith is no longer ran by a "God" Its ran by a person, you don't have to prove anything to god because he apparantly loves us for who we are. But why does people who are priests condem us for not following gods expectations, when in reality its peoples.
This why I hate existentialism. You make it sound so much more bleak than it has to be, it's almost impossible to make light out of it anymore when it was almost a valid philosophy. Just, aargh!
Micro Sheep
Micro Sheep
August 29th, 2007 at 11:49am
bjtp:
NeoSteph:

I can't understand,what interest does the Church have to make you believe into whatever they want?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 29th, 2007 at 03:57pm
bjtp:
NeoSteph:

Technically, you're doing that right now as well. There's always a bias, so yes the church can be manipulative, however, Christianity and the Bible are not.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
August 29th, 2007 at 04:38pm
Micro Sheep:

I can't understand,what interest does the Church have to make you believe into whatever they want?
Most religion is based on belief in something that is unprovable. Therefore they ask you to believe. However, in the Bible they also tells you what is right and wrong. At the end of the day, the Bible is meant to be a guide on how Christians should live their lives and essentially all religions aim to influence your morals and beliefs to some degree. That is its nature.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
August 29th, 2007 at 04:42pm
Anji:
Technically, you're doing that right now as well. There's always a bias, so yes the church can be manipulative, however, Christianity and the Bible are not.
How are they not manipulative?

For example, when they tell you that gay sex is wrong? When they tell you that it is a sin against God, and people believe in this and treat gay people with contempt and disgust.

There are many other examples of beliefs which the Church tries to instill in its believers which purposefully aim to manipulate the behaviour of its followers, which I won't drag up right now.

Also, I am only debating the issue by discussing the facts of what is in the Bible, not making things up or trying to telling people what is right and what is wrong.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 29th, 2007 at 06:12pm
bjtp:
Anji:
How are they not manipulative?

For example, when they tell you that gay sex is wrong? When they tell you that it is a sin against God, and people believe in this and treat gay people with contempt and disgust.

There are many other examples of beliefs which the Church tries to instill in its believers which purposefully aim to manipulate the behaviour of its followers, which I won't drag up right now.

Also, I am only debating the issue by discussing the facts of what is in the Bible, not making things up or trying to telling people what is right and what is wrong.
The Bible, so far as I know, spends one sentence discussing homosexuality as wrong, or whatever. It's not malipulative, it's a belief. People believed that the Earth was flat, they didn't necessarily manipulate anyone. It was just sort of incorrect common knowledge.

The second someone reads that, though, they will interpret it differently from the next person, and when they install their interpretation on other people, that's when it becomes manipulative, like what the major sects of Christianity do.

And you use literary devices in your writing, just like any educated person, to transmit whatever it is you have to say. As your opinion is biased, so are the facts you use and the language you use, so that a dominant interpretation of your writing will succumb to whatever interpretation you intend for it. Manipulative.

Every new interpretation is manipulative. That one of the things we're taught in English classes, how to interpret information differently inorder to surpass possible manipulation of text, or to learn how to do it ourselves.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
August 29th, 2007 at 08:07pm
So you're saying that every piece of writing is a manipulation in some way, because it is someone's opinion, which us biased?
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
August 29th, 2007 at 08:11pm
bjtp:
So you're saying that every piece of writing is a manipulation in some way, because it is someone's opinion, which us biased?
I think that in a way.......she`s right. Its your decision if you will adopt it or refuse it.
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
August 29th, 2007 at 10:02pm
Yeah, I agree.
schooldropout
Banned
schooldropout

Blog
August 30th, 2007 at 11:58am
I think the whole concept of religion is based on stories that people have turned into wannabe truth. Religion wants to control which each and everyone of us do, they don't like religions besides their own, if you say or do something against them its known as a sin against god. If you have an opinion that the people in the church don't like your not pure or real, as far as I'm concerned and I don't mean to offend anyone here but from personal experience god and religion just isn't for me.

I lost all faith in whatever was being preached, being told how to live your life according to a story isn't the best thing to do for me persionally.

I mean there is stuff to say there is a god and then theres stuff to say that there is one, i think its just what you want to believe in.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 31st, 2007 at 03:41pm
bjtp:
Yes, which is why the Bible is a religion, rather than a philosophy or a fact book. It's merely a set of beliefs.

Edit: I meant Christianity is a religion, not the Bible. Slip of the...fingers.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 31st, 2007 at 03:50pm
schooldropout:
I think the whole concept of religion is based on stories that people have turned into wannabe truth. Religion wants to control which each and everyone of us do, they don't like religions besides their own, if you say or do something against them its known as a sin against god. If you have an opinion that the people in the church don't like your not pure or real, as far as I'm concerned and I don't mean to offend anyone here but from personal experience god and religion just isn't for me.

I lost all faith in whatever was being preached, being told how to live your life according to a story isn't the best thing to do for me persionally.

I mean there is stuff to say there is a god and then theres stuff to say that there is one, i think its just what you want to believe in.
It's true that Chistianity has become a force of controlling, but you interpret that in a bad way. Like most punks, you seem to believe in this whole counterculture vs. mainstream materialistic bullshit, that's not the case, because they are infact one and the same.

When Christianity started, it was the new sort of 'punk' of it's age. Up till then, the majority of people were Jewish, then this new culture came about with radical new views on this 'Jesus' guy being the son of God. Of course they were discriminated, ridiculed, and ousted, much like punk and punk music was when it first started. Now that Christianity, and punk music have become rather 'mainstream' the intended views have seemed to be rather lost.

This is what happens with most beliefs, politics, philosophies, after time, their teachings have become more and more misconstured with each new book published, or journal released, or analysis of it, to the point where it all becomes meaningless. However, it's original intentions were no doubt pure.

By all means, question the preacher, but don't then just dismiss the content.
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
September 6th, 2007 at 10:46pm
Anji:
By all means, question the preacher, but don't then just dismiss the content.
You are right. If people don't debate the world would be like a dictatorship. I think.
Register