Victim vs. Offender

AuthorMessage
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
September 7th, 2007 at 08:41pm
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:

If it's consentual, I wouldn't say there is a victim.
Until you're 18, you don't posess the legal right to give consent for relationships like that.
Remarkable Rocket
Falling In Love With The Board
Remarkable Rocket
September 7th, 2007 at 09:49pm
My personal opinion -

It's always the offenders fault... people can put themselves in dangerous situations.. ussually out of trust. Trust is not a fault. A Crime will not occure.. even in a dangerous situation.. unless an offender is there... and the offender takes action.

You can't blame someone, even for putting themselves in a dangerous situation, for someone elses actions.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
September 7th, 2007 at 10:02pm
Kurtni:
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:

If it's consentual, I wouldn't say there is a victim.
Until you're 18, you don't posess the legal right to give consent for relationships like that.

then maybe there is a problem with that law? meaning if the student openly says it was consentual maybe there should be some leanancy. ican'tspeallSmiley
greendea
Jackass
greendea
September 7th, 2007 at 10:50pm
like the warning guy? Smile i love him
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
September 8th, 2007 at 07:50pm
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
Shake-Zula.:
My personal opinion -

It's always the offenders fault... people can put themselves in dangerous situations.. ussually out of trust. Trust is not a fault. A Crime will not occure.. even in a dangerous situation.. unless an offender is there... and the offender takes action.

You can't blame someone, even for putting themselves in a dangerous situation, for someone elses actions.

I agree- partially.

You can blame someone for putting themselves in a dangerous situation.

No, you really can't. Because as previously stated, people don't do so on purpose. They do it out of trust and naivety. Is it a crime to not understand the world? If so, then I suppose we should all just live in bubbles until we fully comprehend the possible paths extending from each and every action we take.

If say, someone was trying to stop a crime and ended up committing one, I'd say both the victim and the offender are at fault. Because the victim attempted a crime and the offender should have known better than to violently/unlawfully interfere. Actually, is there a law on that? I have to go look this up now.
Remarkable Rocket
Remarkable Rocket
September 8th, 2007 at 08:13pm
lyrical_mess:
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
Shake-Zula.:
My personal opinion -

I agree- partially.

No, you really can't. Because as previously stated, people don't do so on purpose. They do it out of trust and naivety. Is it a crime to not understand the world? If so, then I suppose we should all just live in bubbles until we fully comprehend the possible paths extending from each and every action we take.

If say, someone was trying to stop a crime and ended up committing one, I'd say both the victim and the offender are at fault. Because the victim attempted a crime and the offender should have known better than to violently/unlawfully interfere. Actually, is there a law on that? I have to go look this up now.

Well.. in that situation..if the "victim" took action against the "offender".. or another person interfered.. and took action against the "offender".. in a court of law.. it could be argued as defense.

That's all I know. I'm not sure of all the details...
Remarkable Rocket
Remarkable Rocket
September 8th, 2007 at 08:16pm
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
lyrical_mess:
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
Shake-Zula.:
My personal opinion -

I agree- partially.

Is it a crime to sneak into a 21+ club at 15? Yes.
Is it a crime to get drunk when you're 16? Yes.
Is it a crime to trust some shady guy in a club? No.
Is it stupid and dangerous to do so? Yes.
I don't understand the world, but that doesn't mean I'm going to sneak into a club and start grinding with some random guy.
If somebody puts themself into a stupid and dangerous situation, they are at fault for doing so.
If somebody is attacked when simply walking down the street, no, they aren't at blame.
However, there's a huge difference between that and going to a park where it's common knowledge that people sell drugs and have gang fights.

It depends what the crime is. Are you talking about somebody breaking into a house and the owner attacking them? Or are you talking about somebody selling drugs and a witness attacking them? Or somebody witnessing a man trying to rape a woman and attacking the person trying to rape the woman?

But that dangerous situation wouldn't even exist unless there was an "offender" present.. and one that might take action.

It's always the offender.
Remarkable Rocket
Remarkable Rocket
September 8th, 2007 at 08:19pm
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:

=/
?

What's always the offender?

What I was saying is that people do need to take personal responsibility for putting themselves in a dangerous and/or stupid situation.

Ummm...the topic.. .. who's to blame.. Victim or Offender.... I said the offender.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
September 9th, 2007 at 01:47pm
And I continue to say that there is no "degree of responsibility". Its not a shared thing. Victims always have control over their own actions and yes, people can be so incredibly stupid its not funny. But if someone has hurt you or committed a legal offense against you, you are indeed a victim. End of story. You have been victimized. There is no "extent" of being victimized.
talaan
Idiot
talaan
September 9th, 2007 at 03:47pm
The one to blame is the offender. In some situations, the victims may be at fault, but it is still the offender that decides what to do.
Take raping as an example, even the victim is flirtatious or drunk, if he is a proper person, he won't do anything bad to her. Or child abusing, violence to the children perhaps only hurts them, without making them better. The child might be at fault, but the abuser is guilty. The victim may be to blame, but the offender should be charged.
I agree that many victims did not do anything to prevent a crime, but if there hadn't been a criminal, there wouldn't have been a crime to prevent.
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
September 9th, 2007 at 10:59pm
People put themselves in stupid, dangerous situations

You said that 22 times in 3 pages and still haven't really made a point.

And yes, I counted.
Remarkable Rocket
Remarkable Rocket
September 10th, 2007 at 03:55am
2000~lightyearsaway:
The one to blame is the offender. In some situations, the victims may be at fault, but it is still the offender that decides what to do.
Take raping as an example, even the victim is flirtatious or drunk, if he is a proper person, he won't do anything bad to her. Or child abusing, violence to the children perhaps only hurts them, without making them better. The child might be at fault, but the abuser is guilty. The victim may be to blame, but the offender should be charged.
I agree that many victims did not do anything to prevent a crime, but if there hadn't been a criminal, there wouldn't have been a crime to prevent.

Exactly.
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
September 11th, 2007 at 10:34am
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
you think I haven't made a point when I've made many

example?
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
September 11th, 2007 at 04:55pm
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
There is an extent of being victimised.

If you put yourself into a dangerous situation when it's common knowledge that it's a dangerous situation, you are not as much a victim as a person who was waiting for their ride outside of school and got kidnapped.

Also, you changed.
At one point when I said you can blame someone for putting themselves into a stupid and/or dangerous situation:
No, you really can't. Because as previously stated, people don't do so on purpose.

And then:
Victims always have control over their own actions and yes, people can be so incredibly stupid its not funny.

So which is it?

I suppose its somewhere in between. People can control their own actions and they can be very stupid but that doesn't mean that they put themselves into bad situations on purpose.

And also, this is a discussion. I don't see a rule telling me I have to stick with one statement the whole damn time. But you obviously do.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 12th, 2007 at 02:55pm
Bloody existentialists.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
September 12th, 2007 at 04:52pm
Anji:
Bloody existentialists.

Angelica, you poet.
Remarkable Rocket
Remarkable Rocket
September 12th, 2007 at 07:43pm
Ellaisonfire:
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:
you think I haven't made a point when I've made many

example?
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
September 12th, 2007 at 10:07pm
xXxAndreaIsCoolxXx:

All I've seen Ella write is complaining about me disagreeing.

It's called debating Smile
newagecarny
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
newagecarny

Mibba
September 12th, 2007 at 10:53pm
I don't complain, I disagree, since a debate is a conflict of opinions.

I'm not intimidated by a thesaurus.
If I want an english lesson I'll let you know Very Happy
clark
GSBitch
clark
September 12th, 2007 at 10:56pm
lol shut up
Register