Gay-straight alliances

AuthorMessage
Maiku's Kind Ghost
King For A Couple Of Days
Maiku's Kind Ghost

Mibba
August 3rd, 2007 at 03:22am
Gay-Straight Alliances are student organizations, found primarily in North American high schools and universities, that are intended to provide a safe and supportive environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered (LGBT) youth and their straight allies (LGBTA).
The goal of most, if not all, gay-straight alliances is to make their school community safe and welcoming to all students regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. They participate in national campaigns to raise awareness, such as the Day of Silence, National Coming Out Day, and No Name Calling Week. Many GSAs work with local chapters of the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, commonly called GLSEN. The registered number of GSAs to GLSEN is over 3000, as of 2006.
Although rulings have made it possible for GSAs to legally meet at public schools, many of the groups are placed into a "non-school sponsored" status by their school boards or schools, thereby making it difficult for the students to officially form a GSA or have their concerns seen or heard on campus. For example, in the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School System of North Carolina, GSAs are allowed to meet but are considered non–school sponsored; the groups aren't allowed to use the school's intercom system for announcements like other student clubs, to be portrayed as a school club in the yearbook, to have their club funds held in school accounts, to participate in school activities in which sponsored clubs are allowed, or to be a part of the student organization component of each school's Student Government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay-straight_alliance

I find this to not only be wrong, but also crossing constitutional boundaries. Since obviously the schools "morals" are playing a role, which they shouldn't be, given separation of church and state.
And in in not allowing GSA's to be founded with in the school or exist at all, they are helping stir conflict and ignorance. Not to mention the fact they are beneficial to the school community as a whole by offering guidance and support to GLBT students who often can't get any.
Dead End Girl
Addict
Dead End Girl
August 4th, 2007 at 07:44pm
At our school one of the teachers formed the GSA. He's an awesome guy. I'm planning on joining ours. It's because I know many of the gay/lesbian students in our school and have heard their horror stories. I think it's a great idea to have GSA's.
Bones
Falling In Love With The Board
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 10th, 2007 at 08:20pm
are an excuse for straight people to go to gay pride!!!!!!
was fun
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 11th, 2007 at 06:22pm
Why can't straight people go to a gay pride parade? Confused

I mean, what's the point of gay people, showing off their pride to other gay people.
...Sorta, defeats the point.
Musical Deviant
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Musical Deviant
August 12th, 2007 at 12:12am
Anji:

I mean, what's the point of gay people, showing off their pride to other gay people.

good point.

There's a gay-straight alliance at my school, but I'm not in it. I'm gay, but I don't identify with that community at all.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 12th, 2007 at 11:57am
Yeah, I'd prefer to keep it to myself, not out of embaressment, but for the sake of being conservative.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
August 12th, 2007 at 02:17pm
Our GSA has very few members. Everyone in our school is too embarassed to show up, regardless of orientation. Rolling Eyes

Damn my school and it's lack of club enthusiasm.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
August 12th, 2007 at 08:11pm
I don't live in North America Coolio

PLUS. I went to a Catholic school. I mean, come on, they never actually taught us about contraception in high school because of Catholic dogma on that subject, and considering that, would they really have a group for gay students?

No. Coolio
Misanthropist
Post Whore
Misanthropist
August 13th, 2007 at 02:11am
The GSA in my school was really popular among a vast majority of students.
My brother is gay and a member, I would've joined in support but I don't really....find myself liking those sort of groups. (Not the GSA group specifically, just...idk, school groups concerning labelling or whatever.)
in my school's GSA there was only one straight member. Our school supported the GSA, allowed them to put posters etc. up around the school...but I'm not sure if they'll be in the yearbook.
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
August 13th, 2007 at 09:46pm
Should there even be a need for such groups? People should be more accepting of others in the first place.
Janie Jones
Janie Jones
August 13th, 2007 at 10:48pm
Mastodon:
Should there even be a need for such groups? People should be more accepting of others in the first place.

There's a big difference between "should be" and "are", though.
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
August 15th, 2007 at 01:36am
There isn't one in my school, and I'm not sure if there are even any in Ireland. There were two small, hopeless anti-homophobia postcards put up at one point but they were covered up with a sports poster after two weeks (this was after people had stuck pins in the eyes of the people on the postcard)
Maiku's Kind Ghost
Maiku's Kind Ghost

Mibba
August 16th, 2007 at 04:29am
Mastodon:

Idealism, it's a good concept but really doesn't work in this world.

People AREN'T accepting of others, far from it. People are egotistical, EXTREMELY egotistical and they are EXTREMELY egocentrical. People only care about what they want and they only accept what they want to except. People don't bring the karts to the holding space( where they SHOULD be) because it takes SO much effort on there part to walk 20 feet, in the rain, heat or snow despite the fact that some poor bagger who maybe really tiny, tired or sick will have to get that kart, and all the others in the heat, rain and snow.
the same goes for excepting others. People SHOULD be excepting, but are they? no. And Why? Because that person and their sexuality is THEY think is not right. some people think that because THEY don't believe that persons sexuality "correct" they have the right harass them, beat them, even kill them.
Do they have the right to do that? No. Is it correct? ABSOLUTELY NOT. But they don't care because that's what they want to do and what they think is the right thing to do.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 16th, 2007 at 08:54am
And you think this club makes people accepting? Not even close, the majority of people in the GSA at my school are there to make fun of other kids until they get kicked out so they can blow off advisory. And anyways, the people who join the club seriously already have accepting views. Them joining this club isn't going to impact the ones who don't, they'd only be isolating and seperating themselves even more.
Maiku's Kind Ghost
Maiku's Kind Ghost

Mibba
August 16th, 2007 at 04:43pm
Kurtni:
And you think this club makes people accepting? Not even close, the majority of people in the GSA at my school are there to make fun of other kids until they get kicked out so they can blow off advisory. And anyways, the people who join the club seriously already have accepting views. Them joining this club isn't going to impact the ones who don't, they'd only be isolating and seperating themselves even more.

We have laws that make people behave, but do people behave? no. Does that mean that we should do away with laws?
And no, it doesn't make people more excepting, and why should it? After all, people DO have free will. That's like saying, there's a church down the street so everyone is going to believe in God now, it's ignorant to think way. But the people who already believe will go and over time, some people who don't with the help of the church community or just by there own self, will aswell.

The point (ideally) of the GSA is to form a group of GLBT kids and straight kids so's to have an impact on the school and the community with regards to that lifestyle( like combating ignorance.) Which is something that has better and faster results when spearheaded by a group as apposed to one or two people. It's supposed to from bonds and alliances with said kids and at it's most basic function, it's a club, a meeting, where people with similar lifestyles and meet and talk which is really, the purpose for them. But if issues DO come up, because there is an organized group, something can be done, as apposed to their being nothing at all.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 17th, 2007 at 02:09am
And no, it doesn't make people more excepting, and why should it? After all, people DO have free will. That's like saying, there's a church down the street so everyone is going to believe in God now, it's ignorant to think way.

The point (ideally) of the GSA is to form a group of GLBT kids and straight kids so's to have an impact on the school and the community with regards to that lifestyle

So then you think its pointless? If it isn't going to make people more accepting and if its ignorant to think that way then whats the point?
Komischer
Jackass
Komischer
August 17th, 2007 at 03:53am
There's GSA at my school, and I support it and everything (I'm not in it but I have a lot of gay and bi friends) but some of the things people do disturb me. Like, I was talking to this girl and my gay friend Jason came by and she greeted him quite warmly, but then the second he walked away she said, "He's gay, isn't he? that's so gross." I gave her a disgusted look and walked away...haven't talked to her since and I have no desire to do otherwise. People that can't have respect for people that are different than them don't deserve my time.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
August 17th, 2007 at 03:10pm
Anji:

I went to the Pride. Actually, I was in town by accident, but I bought a gay pride pin and told a bunch of homophobes that were spitting to piss off.

Coolio
A Girl From OZ
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
A Girl From OZ
August 18th, 2007 at 11:43pm
I am a proud supporter of the GHGSA(Glouceseter High Gay-Staight Allinace) my best friemd is bisexual and I'm totally ok with that even if i am as striaght as a board. I am proud to be part of it.
The D-Cup Wonder!!
The D-Cup Wonder!!

Mibba
August 24th, 2007 at 02:58am
That's awesome! I wish there was one at my school, we could really use it. Although I'm not personally gay, the majority of my friends are, and if we had a GSA everything would be so much better, just generally.

I'm going to ask my principle about it once we get back to school.
Register