Gay-straight alliances

AuthorMessage
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
August 25th, 2007 at 07:50pm
I do think it's good in the way that it lets kids know and meet gay people. In our school very few people are openly gay, and we don't have a gay straight alliance (i'm guessing cuz I was in jr. high and kids don't understand that yet). even though we live in a mostly open minded area people still fell odd talking about it. It lets meet gay people and see that that gay people are normal, healthy, and capable of having relationships and familys just as non gay people are. I hope my high school will have one.
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
November 4th, 2007 at 09:50am
I live in England and I don't think we have that kind of club. A couple of my friends are bi and people aren't very tolerant of them. They get teased a lot and I can't go anywhere in the school with them without people asking if they fancy me or if I'm going out with them. It's pathetic that they're so intolerant of people like that.
Richard Nixon.
Banned
Richard Nixon.
November 4th, 2007 at 01:23pm
Fact:

Most people in the Gay Pride Parades and Gay/Straight alliances are straight, the only people pushing it on everyone with their pride are either idiot egomaniacle gays (with a few normal exceptions) and straight people.
It'd be like black alliances full of white people.
We're the only people who really give a shit, most gay people just want to be treated normally.
Eg: Chuck Palahniuk. Most people don't think he's gay. Why? Because he's not a flamboyant micropercentage flaming homosexual that everyone assumes he would be.
I really don't think there's any need for gay pride parades but let them do what they want. I would wish though that gay people were portrayed more normally on TV.
People only seem to be getting it recently that gay people are not their stereotype as seen on TV.
Rolling Eyes
suburban.zombie
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
suburban.zombie

Blog
February 21st, 2008 at 03:42pm
this topic has been inactive for awhile...but i have been thinking about it lately actually and i didn't want to start a new post...because its illegal!

okay...well my view on this is a little different than most. most people on here have been looking at it as should it be allowed and such but since the thread is called gay-straight alliances i thought it would be appropriate to discuss in here.

heres my issue. my school has a GSA. my best friend is a lesbian and i am totally cool with it but i will probably never join the GSA. Why? our GSA has always been somewhat of a secret and it bugs me. its mostly for gay people and their friends, not gay people and straight people in general. why is this? they have never told the school about it! only the people with gay friends know about it! i guess this is possibly because we live in a very conservative area, but most of the kids and my school are liberal and would probalby love to join GSA...i kind of see their faluire to tell the school about it as a way to exclude people. from what i've heard, its mostly a place to complain about the people they don't like, gay or straight, even if those people don't make fun of gay people. my friend didn't go to it a few times when she was fighting with another friend of ours that is also a lesbian...and i'm pretty sure its because she basically runs the thing, along with a teacher...my friend would have been excluded.

the group is about promoting acceptance, but they don't accept people! has anyone else had this issue?
fancy pants
Post Whore
fancy pants
February 21st, 2008 at 11:50pm
That's really weird. =/

My school had a GSA. I never attended it. My best friend is gay. He was actually the president of the club. But I met him in the second half of my senior year. And that was when he pretty much stopped going to school. And I didn't know anyone else in the group. But my ex went to it a lot. They publicized events and stuff they did. And from what I heard about it, they sat around and laughed a lot. They had fun. They didn't complain about people. They enjoyed each other's company. Dno And there were gay members, bi members and straight members.

Maybe you should attend some meetings and see if they want to do some special activities. And make a poster to advertise it. See if some other people from the school would like to come and have fun. Very Happy Maybe try to lighten the mood a little bit? It may or may not work. But it might be worth a try. Very Happy Bring rainbow cupcakes!! Smiley

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been to a PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) meeting with my friend. It was pretty cool. Very Happy We sat in a circle. Everyone introduced themselves. They let people talk about any issues if they had any. And they were working on using a cute float in a small parade. It was a closet with rainbow colored clothes. Saying that closets were for clothes. Very Happy I imagine that it would have been similar to GSA?? Minus the float part, because I don't think many high schools participate in parades.
suburban.zombie
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
suburban.zombie

Blog
February 22nd, 2008 at 06:32pm
that sounds like a pretty cool idea Smile

and everyone likes cup cakes =]

but i don't know...i know everyone in the group...i don't think they'd appreciate that...hmm...maybe i should start a new GSA...lol. well i guess its not that important. i have plenty of alliances with gay people...they are my friends!
droid.
King For A Couple Of Days
droid.

Mibba
February 25th, 2008 at 06:07pm
In our school there are a few openly gay people, but no Gay-Straight alliances.

I honestly don't see what the problem with someone being gay is. It's their life, they're allowed to choose who they want to love.
lintu immortal
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
lintu immortal
March 7th, 2008 at 11:15pm
We need a GSA in my school. My cousin's in the one in her school and she loves it.. the people in my school are too homophobic to allow one I guess >_>
Register