Independance

AuthorMessage
Bones
Falling In Love With The Board
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 10th, 2007 at 08:50pm
with the SNP in power in scotland (Scottish National Party) there should at last be a referendum on independance!!!! The problem being that many people believe that it wont recieve enough support and will fall on deaf ears. Personally i dont think you deserve the title of being scottish if you support the union (i.e gordon brown) so as you can figure I'm all for independance

It actually makes me angry to think of Scottish history, that someone as vital as William Wallace died for absoulty nothing! Decades after the end of the empire there should be no countries that are able to support themselves under another country's rule!!!

what i want to know is how other scots feel about english control (and also welsh/ notherin irish) or any people who live in other countries that are not under their own control, how they feel about their situation
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 10th, 2007 at 09:19pm
o, also an english view on the subject matter would be interesting
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
August 10th, 2007 at 11:09pm
I always thought Scotland was a free country. Faith
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 10th, 2007 at 11:47pm
we should be but sadly we're not
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
August 11th, 2007 at 03:39pm
Young For Eternity:
Personally i dont think you deserve the title of being scottish if you support the union (i.e gordon brown)

Um, well, actually, aren't those both totally different things?
Yeah. So no "i.e".
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
August 11th, 2007 at 03:42pm
Well...in all honesty...Scotland owns The UK ever since James 1 rose to power.

Sooo, we should control the government and we should let the English, Welsh and Northen Irish decide if they want to be liberated from us.

Basic Tudor History, Baby.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 11th, 2007 at 06:34pm
That would be interesting. I would no longer be 'British' I'd actually be Welsh/English/Irish as well as all my other nationalities. Imagine the passports! I already have three, I might be getting a fourth, and if they all become liberated, I should think I own the most passports in the world!

I have to say though, I'm more devout towards my Welsh roots, but saying that, I believe that all's good an well under the British Empire for us. Of course you could say that also being part English makes me biased.

And now to my Canadian heritage, Quebecers are idiots for wanting to be liberated, I'm sorry. You're stuck in the middle of Canada whether you are a part of it or not.

Also, I'm really frusterated about this, Steven Harper is a childish moron for caring about the North Pole. It's ours, and a Russian flag under like a mile of ice and water is not going to change that. I do blieve there are more pressing issues in my country right now than this stupid game of tug a war. It's almost like they're only trying to tick us off. Get a grip!
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 11th, 2007 at 09:32pm
Bloodraine:
Young For Eternity:
Personally i dont think you deserve the title of being scottish if you support the union (i.e gordon brown)

Um, well, actually, aren't those both totally different things?
Yeah. So no "i.e".

they are the same thing - gordon brown is a scot who supports the union, so the i.e stands
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 11th, 2007 at 09:35pm
Sally Sparrow:
Well...in all honesty...Scotland owns The UK ever since James 1 rose to power.

Sooo, we should control the government and we should let the English, Welsh and Northen Irish decide if they want to be liberated from us.

Basic Tudor History, Baby.

i know scottish history, i wish it really was still in power but the matter of the fact is its now the english that are making the decisions.

My main reason for wanting independance is just to recognised as scottish and scottish only. And i know that he is techniquely right but when i lived in canada my law teacher said that scotland wasnt a real country and that offended me. We may not be a free, independant country but we are a REAL country!
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 11th, 2007 at 09:37pm
I'm a little bit Scottish. Like a great-great aunt or something. But I know a lot of rel Scots who support the union. I have loads of Scottish friends, who fine with it. Thoush, I do as well have some who'd rather be independent. I think it's around half and half.
stilinski
stilinski

Blog
August 11th, 2007 at 10:52pm
Anji:

And now to my Canadian heritage, Quebecers are idiots for wanting to be liberated, I'm sorry. You're stuck in the middle of Canada whether you are a part of it or not.

Well said. I live in Quebec, and my dad's side is all ''pure laine'' like we say. But I believe our independance would cause too much trouble. We aren't financially and socially ready to make such separation.

Didn't the two referendums [1980 and 1995] tell the PQ that Quebec itself does NOT want separation?

I really don't see the separatists' point. I mean...we're already a nation. What would be the point of being a country? We're fine like we are now. Of course we wouldn't have to pay Provincial taxes anymore. But the Federal taxes would more than likely get higher.

And on a more personal note, I'd find it quite annoying to need a passport/identity proof to get to Ottawa [which is about two hours from where I live] Haha.
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
August 12th, 2007 at 02:47am
We had a referendum here maybe seven years ago. Most people didn't want to become independant. We're basically independant, anyways, seeing as we're so far away from England. We just have a govener general who is a representative for the queen, and they step in when they're needed, like, in the seventies, they had to take Whitlam out of being prime minister, and put the other party in charge, instead.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 12th, 2007 at 08:44am
Linus:
Anji:

Well said. I live in Quebec, and my dad's side is all ''pure laine'' like we say. But I believe our independance would cause too much trouble. We aren't financially and socially ready to make such separation.

Didn't the two referendums [1980 and 1995] tell the PQ that Quebec itself does NOT want separation?

I really don't see the separatists' point. I mean...we're already a nation. What would be the point of being a country? We're fine like we are now. Of course we wouldn't have to pay Provincial taxes anymore. But the Federal taxes would more than likely get higher.

And on a more personal note, I'd find it quite annoying to need a passport/identity proof to get to Ottawa [which is about two hours from where I live] Haha.
I'm Ottawan-ian? Whatever, I'm from Ottawa. Fizz

And I like you, you're smart.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 12th, 2007 at 08:56am
I just thought about this, a lot of cities, mainly ones that were previously ruled by the British Empire, seem to want to rid their past associations with the colonial days. I recently visited Malaysia and there was a certain amount of distain towards the British historical buildings and clubs and stuff.

Also, in Hong Kong, the city has decided they might destroy an old pier, used ages ago as a port and was one of the ones which helped lead Hong Kong into a bussling busy city, full of trade, which it remains to this day. I don't think they should destroy a historical landmark that was important towards the growth of the city.

Developing sucks. Mad
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 14th, 2007 at 10:48pm
Anji:

Geographically it may not be the best idea but no offense but I can't really blame Quebec for not wanting to be part of Canada. I mean I enjoyed living there and all but there were a lot of things that extemely frustrated me - mainly the egocentricity of the canadian media - I kind of miss it now but when I was living there I couldn't wait to leave - I imagine thats how a lot of quebecers must feel
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
August 14th, 2007 at 11:17pm
Elegant Rubble:
Anji:

Geographically it may not be the best idea but no offense but I can't really blame Quebec for not wanting to be part of Canada. I mean I enjoyed living there and all but there were a lot of things that extemely frustrated me - mainly the egocentricity of the canadian media - I kind of miss it now but when I was living there I couldn't wait to leave - I imagine thats how a lot of quebecers must feel
I'm with Anji on this one. What's the point of being liberated? The media won't change just because Quebec is no longer a part of the country. I mean, srsly. With everything else going on in the world, it just seems frivolous.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 15th, 2007 at 03:50pm
Elegant Rubble:
Did you live in Quebec?

Because for me, even in Ontario, there was already a large amount of Quebec television stations, French-Canadian radio stations, French-Canadian newspapers. Even my quebecois friends agreed so. Appart from the first language, they could've practically been living in Quebec.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
August 15th, 2007 at 04:44pm
Elegant Rubble:

My main reason for wanting independance is just to recognised as scottish and scottish only.

You might as well say that already.

As an English person, I am expected to be British first and English second. Ok, I'm cool with that. But as a Scottish person, you're allowed to be Scottish first and British second. And that is a double standard.
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 15th, 2007 at 05:09pm
Bloodraine:
Elegant Rubble:

My main reason for wanting independance is just to recognised as scottish and scottish only.

You might as well say that already.

As an English person, I am expected to be British first and English second. Ok, I'm cool with that. But as a Scottish person, you're allowed to be Scottish first and British second. And that is a double standard.

which is why scotland should be independant because I agree - there are a lot of double standards within the UK, I mean Scottish MPs can vote on English issues but English MPs cant vote on Scottish, which even as a Scot I can admit to being unfair

Its really England that wants to be Britain - I would never ever say I was British, I only consider myself Scottish and I find thats the same for most scots (excpet for Edinbrugh) The main reason that there is not so much support for independance as there used to be is that most of us have given up on the idea of it - most people are resigned to the fact that we'll never get it - the SNP being in power now really need to revive that scottish pride that was prevailent for so long!
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 15th, 2007 at 05:19pm
Anji:
Elegant Rubble:
Did you live in Quebec?

Because for me, even in Ontario, there was already a large amount of Quebec television stations, French-Canadian radio stations, French-Canadian newspapers. Even my quebecois friends agreed so. Appart from the first language, they could've practically been living in Quebec.

I lived in Toronto - i dont live in Canada any more but when I was living there I couldnt wait to leave - the media wasn't the only thing that bugged me about Canada. A feeling I picked up on is that Quebec do things just to spite the rest of Canada, they so desperatly dont want to be like them - thats where I agree.
I only got as far as Montreal but Quebec really has a different feel to it - its more like Europe than North America.

Where I realy support Quebec's independance is having the feelings I have about Scotland - I can apprectiate what it feels like to be a "self-determing people" - a nation with a nation - all you want is to be recognised, thats the driving force.

I stand by my statement that if the country is able to support itself and the country it leaves is able to support themselves then there is nothing idiotic or stupid about wanting and getting that indpendance!!!!
Register