Independance

AuthorMessage
The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
September 23rd, 2007 at 06:26pm
Gone Barrowman:
I dunno, it did have an intergalactic playboy in bondage.

Anyway. Does anyone here think Ulster shouldn't be independent? Why not?

I think that the two chunks of Ireland should join up to be one big Ireland. It's kinda thick just having a tiny little corner that Britain keeps. It's very Old Empire.

Besides it might start the process of peace in that region. Hopefully.

I sound so hypocritical. :/
a-dawg.
a-dawg.
September 25th, 2007 at 09:06pm
Herr Doktor:
Gone Barrowman:
I dunno, it did have an intergalactic playboy in bondage.

Anyway. Does anyone here think Ulster shouldn't be independent? Why not?

I think that the two chunks of Ireland should join up to be one big Ireland. It's kinda thick just having a tiny little corner that Britain keeps. It's very Old Empire.

Besides it might start the process of peace in that region. Hopefully.

I sound so hypocritical. :/
It is different in Ireland though. There's far less English influence - most of the country is completely separate from Britain.

And thankfully, I think (hope) things are getting better. The IRA have gotten rid of their weapons, and the English army left a few months ago. There's still an awful lot of sectarianism, but we seem to be on the right path. And, as Andrew Maxwell put it, we're not the terrorists anymore. We're the country of Riverdance.

"How could anything so cute be so dangerous?"
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
September 26th, 2007 at 05:35pm
Gone Barrowman:
we're not the terrorists anymore. We're the country of Riverdance.

"How could anything so cute be so dangerous?"[/size][/color]

Best. Quote. Everrr.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 29th, 2007 at 08:01pm
It's not so much independence, though some might say so, but what thinkest thou of he ruling of the miliatry junta in Burma right now and the ever growing publicity of the demonsrations taking place.

I find the propaganda, and I don't usually like to use that word often because it is most of the time over-exaggerated, bit it is propaganda which the military is circulating on the Burmese television stations. See, we live right next to them, infact my parents' maids are Burmese and they tell me all the time about stuff they were hearing from their relatives and about how oppressed they feel they are from the military rule.

What do you think should be done. I myself would love nothing more than to march into Myanmar right now and join the crowds, however Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, China, all these South-east Asian countries have have a very vivid reminder in recent years of what can go awry when the military involves itself in political demonstrations which originally do start peacefully. This is why the ASEAN (Association of South-east Asian Nations...or Assembly...can't remember which.) is very reluctant to involve itself and why the withdrawal of enforcement from other countries, while may seem as an act of cowardice, is infact to maintain the delicacy of this matter in consideration of the past. I really hope the UN forces can help, and though I really primarily want peace, I'm afraid that in order to bring down the military junta, some force may be required, I hope though that I am wrong.

I am also, very upset at the military for its treatment of the monks. Ever notice how monks are always the courageous ones to start demonstrations and stuff? It's because the only weapon they have is non-violence and unfortunately violence and non-violence cannot coexist, therefore violence must exist. I cannot believe that a Buddhist country could possibly treat monks the way that the military has treated them. I can't imagine at all how on Earth they could justify their acts, infact they can't, it's impossible. They really do need to be over thrown. Unfortunately, of course, looking at all the previous times that's been attempted in other coutries, like my own, that'll have to come at a price.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
September 29th, 2007 at 10:05pm
I'm with you, Anji, 100%. I think it's absolutely shameful to treat monks like that. There is no justification.

If I had the means, I'd be over there protesting right now.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
October 1st, 2007 at 04:59pm
I saw that on TV and the part taht really annoyed me was the treatment of the monks. I mean, I have a personal issue with monks ever since I was mugged by one (...Don't ask...) but these men are the cornerstone of the religion in Burma (If I'm right...). It seems shameful that a people who are using a non-violence way of objecting are being...well...objected to this behavior.

I just hope that peace comes to the region soon and not because the fighting voices have been silenced.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
October 1st, 2007 at 10:17pm
Eh @ mugging monks. (Wth?!)

But I'm in agreement. Treating religious figures who, if I understand the events correctly, protesting peacefully, is unacceptable.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
October 2nd, 2007 at 05:28pm
They were demonstrating completely peacefully, against the junta and the drastic raise in gasoline prices and after a few days, more people caught on. That's when the protesting started and then the military started taking more precautions against the crowd until they just fired onto them, though I don't completely know the story behind that part. Needless to say that the monks had nothing to do with it and very few monks are out there anymore because A) most of them are being help in confinement, B) these protests have escalated into riots by now and are getting a bit violent on both sides, and C) of course everyone is rather scared now.

There are still the few brave ones though, and I do admire them, although carrying bricks isn't the best message to send, really. But then again, bricks against machine guns.

These are some mini-rants I just want to let out:

Firstly, CNN, BBC, NBC, and almost all other news agencies are reporting stories about the 'peaceful' and 'unarmed' civilians who are standing up against the military forces. They are not unarmed, they've got sticks and bricks and all sorts of stuff that news broadcasters weren't smart enough to cut out, so this is the point where I'm starting to get a little bit weary of the sources, because of course they think that sympathy is the way to go. The Burmese do not need sympathy, they need support.

Secondly, my frustration with the way in which the military has been allowed to behave in such a reckless fashion continues to mount. It is serously reminding me now of what was going on in Thailand a few years back druning Black May when again, the military fired upon protesting civilians. The pictures of the Japanese photographer being shot by the passing military man are very macabre indeed. He was certainly of no threat, unless cameras are now considered dangerous and it really makes me wonder what sort of orders are given to these military men.

Thirdly, I'm honestly trying to, but somehow cannot understand the pro-junta men, who stand shoulder to shoulder with the army units. I don't know who else here has been to Burma, but such dramatic divisions between neighbouring people never used to be the case, and I find it quite tragic, the way the country has been developing.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
October 3rd, 2007 at 04:38am
Basically, I agree whole-heartedly with your first two points, as I've stated previously, or think I have....if I haven't I do. Faith

As to the third point, the only thing I can think of as to the thinking of the pro-junta men is the thought that the absence of the military will lead to riots, chaos, and a political vaccumm. I read in the Sunday paper that the government in Burma is a constant power struggle, with generals fearing the thought of being usurped, so they take the offensive straightaway to keep that from happening.
Register