The War Against Christmas

AuthorMessage
schooldropout
Banned
schooldropout

Blog
December 31st, 2007 at 01:29pm
If people are going to try and stop christmas in case it offends other faiths. What about their religious customs, what if we take offence to it?

Of course they would be alowed to in case we all sound racist. Bullshit, if it's good enough for us it's good enough for them.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
January 1st, 2008 at 11:04am
It sounds like it'll all lead to elimination of religion and then it'll be like 1984 and I shouldn't have read that book its making me paranoid.

But did anyone read the December Nat Geo? Apparently, all of the Christians are leaving Jerusalem and Bethlehem.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
January 4th, 2008 at 09:19pm
I got another article:

Beliefs won't change to suit minorities
During the past five or so years, I have seen the Christmas season turn my stomach -- not because I don't believe in the birth of Jesus or because I am a Scrooge, but because so many in this country do not believe in it anymore.

If people with different religious beliefs don't believe, that's their sorry fault. But this country was founded on Christianity, which includes all the Protestant religioins and the Roman Catholic and Orthodox faiths.

The key is to remember the word "majority." We in this country live on the "majority rule" laws.

But now we must not say "Merry Christmas" or Christmas tree" or "Christmas season;" we are supposed to say "holiday tree" and "holiday season." And if I hear "happy holidays" one more time, I will give that person a great Christmas gift: New teeth.

If those who are members of "minority" religions or are bleeding heart liberals don't like the Christmas season, I am sure China would love to have them as citizens.

We will not change for the minorities who don't believe.

Ronald J. Esposito
Moxham

I agree with a lot of what he says but not everything. I don't think he should have said, "If people with different religious beliefs don't believe, that's their sorry fault." And that whole thing about knocking someones teeth out was funny and sometimes I feel that way, but I wouldn't have said it (I think). The thing about "bleeding heart liberals" was funny especially since it seem as though it is the liberals trying to take Christ out of Christmas. And as for the China taking the minorities and liberals, I think he was right. So over all I think he is right.
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
January 4th, 2008 at 11:18pm
Shadow of a Doubt:
I got another article:

During the past five or so years, I have seen the Christmas season turn my stomach -- not because I don't believe in the birth of Jesus or because I am a Scrooge, but because so many in this country do not believe in it anymore.

If people with different religious beliefs don't believe, that's their sorry fault. But this country was founded on Christianity, which includes all the Protestant religioins and the Roman Catholic and Orthodox faiths.

The key is to remember the word "majority." We in this country live on the "majority rule" laws.

But now we must not say "Merry Christmas" or Christmas tree" or "Christmas season;" we are supposed to say "holiday tree" and "holiday season." And if I hear "happy holidays" one more time, I will give that person a great Christmas gift: New teeth.

If those who are members of "minority" religions or are bleeding heart liberals don't like the Christmas season, I am sure China would love to have them as citizens.

Ronald J. Esposito
Moxham

I agree with a lot of what he says but not everything. I don't think he should have said, "If people with different religious beliefs don't believe, that's their sorry fault." And that whole thing about knocking someones teeth out was funny and sometimes I feel that way, but I wouldn't have said it (I think). The thing about "bleeding heart liberals" was funny especially since it seem as though it is the liberals trying to take Christ out of Christmas. And as for the China taking the minorities and liberals, I think he was right. So over all I think he is right.

I don't really agree with him. I think people ought to be able to stand hearing "happy holidays," since to you it means "Merry Christmas." Happy holidays is to entail all religions in case the person it's directed at is of a different religion.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
January 5th, 2008 at 08:32pm
Galleria nativity caught my attention

Did you see it? At the Galleria? The big replica of the nativity scene (in front of The Bon-Ton Department Store)?

Did you see what I saw?

Every figurine was larger than the baby Jesus. And yet, every figurine, including Mary, Joseph and the Angel (even some of the animals) were bowing down in worship to the smallest one of the bunch.

"Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name;

"That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in the earth, and things under the earth;

"And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Philippians 2:9-11.

Bob Leib
Pastor, Boaz Baptist Church
Stoystown

Well, this guy is a little to into it, but yeah.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
January 5th, 2008 at 08:33pm
Sheepless and redundant:
Shadow of a Doubt:
I got another article:

Ronald J. Esposito
Moxham

I don't really agree with him. I think people ought to be able to stand hearing "happy holidays," since to you it means "Merry Christmas." Happy holidays is to entail all religions in case the person it's directed at is of a different religion.

Yeah, good point, but I would still rather hear people say, Merry Christmas." Although I guess "Happy Holidays" is better than nothing.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 6th, 2008 at 04:23am
That thing about China was just...not very nice at all. I hate this stereotype about all communist countries.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
January 6th, 2008 at 06:37pm
Anji:
That thing about China was just...not very nice at all. I hate this stereotype about all communist countries.
I agree. I'm sure people in China celebrate holidays.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
January 6th, 2008 at 10:23pm
Well, there are Christians in China, but the government doesn't like it. I like they used to have something like underground churches.

http://chinese-school.netfirms.com/Christians-in-China.html
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
January 7th, 2008 at 04:25am
Shadow of a Doubt:
I got another article:
Yeah, thats an amazing democratic and tolerant approach. You don't have to change for anyone, but perhaps adopting to other peoples religions wouldn't hurt so much. Christmas is a holiday to celebrate the birth of Jesus who is a symbol of love, peace and tolerance and that way of thinking is exactly the opposite. So saying "Happy holidays" instead of saying "Merry Christmas" annoys the Christians so much? I mean its just a greeting that has absolutely no significant importance.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 7th, 2008 at 10:55am
Shadow of a Doubt:
Well, there are Christians in China, but the government doesn't like it. I like they used to have something like underground churches.

No! That is completely false. I just came back from China last weekend and there are Christmas trees everywhere. Just because it is a communist country does not meant that the people are totally repressed. Like every Chinese person celebrates Christmas, not like Westerners do, but like shops have sales, people get holidays, some people do exchange gifts. Yeah, they used to be a lot more modest about it, but certainly not anymore.
King For A Couple Of Days

Blog
January 7th, 2008 at 06:35pm
Shadow of a Doubt:

Maybe the government doesn't like Christianity, but I really don't think that the people care. There's a church just 15 minutes away from my grandma's house, and whenever you go to a major city (at least the ones I've been to), there's always a lot of churches/mosques/etc.

Also, I've never been to China during winter vacation, but I'm sure that there's holiday decorations up - when I went there during spring break they had shamrock stickers on the shop windows for St. Patrick's day. My cousin was bragging about how cheap everything was when it was on sale during the holidays and how I should move back there so I don't become broke buying Christmas presents for everyone here. Cheese
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
January 7th, 2008 at 07:38pm
Anji:
Shadow of a Doubt:

No! That is completely false. I just came back from China last weekend and there are Christmas trees everywhere. Just because it is a communist country does not meant that the people are totally repressed. Like every Chinese person celebrates Christmas, not like Westerners do, but like shops have sales, people get holidays, some people do exchange gifts. Yeah, they used to be a lot more modest about it, but certainly not anymore.

Ok, well, that is just what I heard and I thought it was still like that, but I guess I was wrong.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 8th, 2008 at 08:40am
It is quite wrong! This is a good example of being weary of your source, and it's unfortunate that some people can't experience all cultures from first-hand experiences, but if only we could, it would diminish a lot of rubbish stereotypes people have.
Register