Is rewarding kids for good grades bribery or motivation?

AuthorMessage
I'mComing.BeScared.
King For A Couple Of Days
I'mComing.BeScared.
April 4th, 2008 at 06:32am
supercandy:
folkin' around.:
Yeah, but if getting paid for your good grades makes you work harder, so be it.

You still get paid at the end of the day for your job and the work you do.
Isn't getting paid like bribery? Who's gonna work 40 hours a week for nothing?
Why? Cause it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside because you did
something worthwhile. hah.
People work because they must, not because they feel warm inside when they do.

Wrong. Some people really like to work. The problem is when you have to do things which you don't wanna do.
syco-cheechoo2
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
syco-cheechoo2

Blog
April 10th, 2008 at 01:09pm
I don't feel that there is anything wrong with it truthfully. The kids want the money so they'll work harder in school too get better grades. For them to get better grades they've gotta learn something in order to do their work. So if they are doing better than before by getting money, its just making it so they want to learn more. Nothing wrong with it really.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 12th, 2008 at 10:22am
THe thign is, you have to work. It's not an animal-human thing. Its an organism thing. If you wanna live, you have to work. You don't see plants going "I am soooo tired go away sun I don't want photosynthesis today! *sulks* "

Shifty I just read that and realized it makes no sense. Let me put it another way. All living organisms have to work. It's part of the natural order of the world. Animals have to hunt. Humans had to hunt. It's considered work, by dictionary definition and by scientific definition.

Obviously we've evolved from hunting, but one way or another a person has to work to survive. The most mentally and physically stable people can do the most work, see? And the thing is, I guess we're all just lazy bums on the inside because no one wants to work unless they're getting something out of it, or there's some effect.

When you study, when you learn math for instance, you're gonna ask "What good is this going to do me?". You don't realize then, but the good is that it secures your future. It helps you in the long run. When you're a kid, that's insignificant and doesn't matter (maybe. I don't know).

When human beings work, they like to get something out of it. Kids don't realize what schoolwork is getting them, so i suppose some parents resort to rewards. I wouldn't expect all kids to be mature and get that without good grades, there's a 90% chance of ending up a bum.

However, I would expect parents of being mature and farsighted enough to realize that constant rewards accustom kids to instant gratification. That's not good. That won't get anyone anywhere.
Shane Childers
Idiot
Shane Childers

Blog
April 15th, 2008 at 03:37am
i dont think that kids need rewards... if they work hard enough the work is there own reward... respecting themselves and others.... not becoming greedy little bastardos...
nimrodidiot
Jackass
nimrodidiot

Blog
April 15th, 2008 at 10:50pm
It all depends on the child's motives and personality.

A parent should know what drives their child to do their best. Money should be the last alternative as a motivation.
If the child is used to doing things for money, he may grow up to believe that money is everything. If he doesn't learn to do things because they make you a better person, he can also turn out to be less generous.

I'm not saying this would happen often, I'm just saying it's a possibility.
neen bean
Addict
neen bean

Blog
April 15th, 2008 at 10:56pm
nimrodidiot:
It all depends on the child's motives and personality.

A parent should know what drives their child to do their best. Money should be the last alternative as a motivation.
If the child is used to doing things for money, he may grow up to believe that money is everything. If he doesn't learn to do things because they make you a better person, he can also turn out to be less generous.

I'm not saying this would happen often, I'm just saying it's a possibility.
I agree with what you're saying. We don't need another generation of capitalist children xD

My dad used to take me to the park if I was complimented on my work at school. It was a good strategy. Now that he doesn't take me to the park (sadly) and I don't get anything for grades or awards I just do it for personal satisfaction and praise. I think my parents telling me I've done a great job and made them proud is worth more than all the money in the world.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 17th, 2008 at 11:28am
My dad got me a new cell phone cuz I got the top score in my tenth grade exams. Cuz tenth grade exams are a big deal in india. and my cell phone was broken.

But yeah. my parents don't get me stuff anymore. I do work so I can go to college and go into genetic research.
Joel McHale.
Joel McHale.

Blog
April 28th, 2008 at 10:02am
I recently got $49 for my grades, it was my first ever 4.0 but I didn't do it for the money, I did it for my future and the chance to get into a good college. Maybe I'm different, I don't have much need for money, it's just sitting on my desk taking up space. File
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
April 29th, 2008 at 10:34pm
If I were the kid I'd just make my own choice in whether I would want to get good grades or not.

And personally, you can't really bribe me. With world peace, yes, but the human race is hopeless and that'll never happen.

I don't wanna say that the parents shouldn't be concerned for their kid's education, but.. I don't know, I just think it's not a good thing.
Ave Maria
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Ave Maria

Mibba Blog
May 1st, 2008 at 11:35pm
all I can say is that I've never been rewarded for my grades, maybe a 'good job' or 'that's wonderful'

but even though I wasn't rewarded I STILL maintain those grades because I've been taught to work and work hard for my grades because I know it'll be good for my future whether in college or wherever I'm going.

It was just the way I was raised, now if the parents want to reward their kids that have seriously been struggling then by all means go for it but soon you have to basically wean the kids or else for each A they get they'll want another $20 in COLLEGE, I don't know, it's just my opinion that people should get good grades because they realize it's going to affect them in the long run on how people look at you (whether or not you like it), how well people listen, how seriously people take you all of that.

That's just my personal opinion and from my personal experiences.
Baguelle
Baguelle
May 3rd, 2008 at 01:52am
I think that the only way a reward becomes a bribe in this instance boils down to the morals that parents give their children. I don't think anything is wrong with rewarding children for good grades, but the only way that reward stays motivational is if the parent helps the child understand the difference. It's a matter of teaching the child that work pays off and slacking doesn't. Plus, a reward doesn't always have to consist of gifts.

My parents have managed to reward me for good grades and only good grades. I think it's an effective way to keep me on the right track.
PainKiller
Idiot
PainKiller
May 3rd, 2008 at 10:39am
I think it's ok for parents to reward their kids when they pass a grade with great marks, not just for a quiz or something.
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
May 3rd, 2008 at 11:37am
Well.
Bournemouth uni has a system where if you get three A's at your A Levels, they'll give you £1000. That's definately motivation for me to try and get the top marks, rather than just the ones that will get me into the university.

(Although tbf, I kind of already need the top marks to get in.)
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 15th, 2008 at 10:43am
you know what?

I am one hundred percent against all forms of bribery. bullying only exists in the adult world because it exists in school. Same with bribery. And its...incredible...how corrupt the world is today. How corrupt certain governments are.

Imagine: a boy was bribed to do his schoolwork as a child. As he grows up, he learns that if someone gives him material or money to do his work, he will. That boy gets a job in the electricity department. Someone comes and complains that the powerlines are fucked. He doesn't even look at their complaint until they dangle a nice green 500 rupee note in his face. And like a greedy dog, he takes it and then has the powerline fixed. And in addition, if parents get the idea that they can get their children to jump through hoops for "stuff" what's going to stop them from applying the same logic to the rest of the world?

Bribery is bribery and corruption is corruption.

And its wrong.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 15th, 2008 at 02:53pm
I get a tattoo if I maintain my 4.0 so I am quite ok with bribery. Shifty
CountMikeulasNextVictim
Post Whore
CountMikeulasNextVictim

Blog
May 18th, 2008 at 04:27am
I've been rewarded sure it helps and no it's not bribery [in my case it's not] I just do my work and get the grades the money is just a bonus on top I guess lol
CountMikeulasNextVictim
Post Whore
CountMikeulasNextVictim

Blog
May 18th, 2008 at 04:28am
Stphn Fru.:
camera obscura:
It takes different things to motivate different people. Money just seems to work the best.
Am I the only one who thinks thats sad? Coolio
yea it's sad but true
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
May 18th, 2008 at 02:22pm
If the kid is going to get good grades, they're going to be rewarded in the long run anyways.

And also it can make the child think that you always need to return the favor of a good deed, instead of just doing good for people would anything expected back
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 19th, 2008 at 04:41am
The thing is, if people were actually paid their labour's worth, the working class wold be rich and the upper class would be poor. At least that is the case for Britain, mos certainly. In America it would be similar only a bit more moderated.

The point is that the working class should in theory get more reward out of their work if money was movitation and the upper class majority who only own land and antiquities and inherit stuff would receive for their contribution to society. So money especially as motivation presents an unrealistic portrayal of life and work.
Mike N Tre Erections
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Mike N Tre Erections

Blog
July 8th, 2008 at 07:37am
I think it's motivation.

No matter what your reward, knowing that you've recieved something for your efforts will encourage you to keep up the work. And doing well in a test does make you fell good about yourself. Soon enough you begin to realsie that studying is possible, and it isn't impossible.
Register