Social Effects of the Internet on Teenagers

AuthorMessage
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
April 17th, 2008 at 04:37pm
I try not to spend longer than an hour on the internet a night, unless i'm doing research for my book in which case i still try to take breaks so as to be social with my partner.

Long amounts of time at the computer are physically and emotionally damaging, I believe there to be strong links between the rise in overweight teenagers and the shift in young adult activites, instead of meeting up with friends outside of a school setting its now more accessible to merely IM them. Your not moving around so exercise becomes a minimum part of your daily life.

Emotionally forging strong friendships with people you will never meet instead of making new or continuing one's with people in your physical life will mean your social needs are not being met, we're social creatures, we need touch and interaction. Possibly the reason why people feel they have such strong relationships over the internet is because their brain is trying to compensate for no real interaction.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 19th, 2008 at 02:06pm
The ability to talk with your friends from your bedroom rather than going to their house, or entertain yourself within your own house instead of outdoors is having a super-sized effect on child-obesity. But that's not specifically the internet there are a bunch of technological gizmos collectively responsible for that.

The problem with the internet, and ironically one of the things I complain about the most, is speed. Though I confess to continually looking to upgrade my modem, the internet has dramatically increased the speed of our lives. We now have more time to take in more information, more time to do more work, more time to play more games. It's increased the pace of life drastically. I still remember not thirteen years ago, I was living in a town of about 1,000 people, and all of us had to share a single telephone stationed at a designated house. Now in the same town just over a decade later, every other house has high-speed internet and there is a youth club with free internet serice fore anyone. Sure there are only 20 people living in the same town due to the increase of opportunities for the more intellectually open generation of kids who've abandoned their parents and grand-parents, but hey, great leap forward.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
April 20th, 2008 at 12:52pm
NeoSteph:
I try not to spend longer than an hour on the internet a night, unless i'm doing research for my book in which case i still try to take breaks so as to be social with my partner.

Long amounts of time at the computer are physically and emotionally damaging, I believe there to be strong links between the rise in overweight teenagers and the shift in young adult activites, instead of meeting up with friends outside of a school setting its now more accessible to merely IM them. Your not moving around so exercise becomes a minimum part of your daily life.

Emotionally forging strong friendships with people you will never meet instead of making new or continuing one's with people in your physical life will mean your social needs are not being met, we're social creatures, we need touch and interaction. Possibly the reason why people feel they have such strong relationships over the internet is because their brain is trying to compensate for no real interaction.

That's interesting...I actually considered that once but I no longer think so. Cuz I joined GSB and started making friends after a really big move and I hated everyone in my school. But that was a loooong time ago and I'm still in touch with my old friends from NJ and I have friends in school. Yet, I keep in touch with a lot of dfferent people from GSB and Mibba.

To me, its like...its like we all share a sort of culture. Musical culture, written culture, something. We share ideas. We have a lot of similar ideas and talk about the ones that are different...humans are social beings. We can bond over just about anything.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 20th, 2008 at 06:20pm
NeoSteph:

I don't think it's fair to blame that on the internet. The connection isn't to the internet, the connection is to incompetent parents who don't care what their kids do. Just as the TV was at one time, the Internet has become the new technological babysitter. It's a lot easier to have your kid sitting in front of a computer than to watch them everywhere else, so that's what parents are doing. If parents are going to allow their children to spend hours at a time on the computer and not get any exercise, it's their fault when their child is obese, not the internet's
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
April 21st, 2008 at 04:08pm
Kurtni:
NeoSteph:

I don't think it's fair to blame that on the internet. The connection isn't to the internet, the connection is to incompetent parents who don't care what their kids do. Just as the TV was at one time, the Internet has become the new technological babysitter. It's a lot easier to have your kid sitting in front of a computer than to watch them everywhere else, so that's what parents are doing. If parents are going to allow their children to spend hours at a time on the computer and not get any exercise, it's their fault when their child is obese, not the internet's

''the shift in young adult activites''

I'm not directly blaming the Internet, that would be like blaming Einstien directly for the atomic bomb.

With younger children i do think it is up to the parents to get them off their backsides, but if we're talking about just teenagers then they've got to start taking responcibility for their own actions because one of the many joys of the internet means they can educate themselves on the dangers of poor diet and low motility, they can do it in between googling their favorite band.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 22nd, 2008 at 07:12pm
NeoSteph:

With younger children i do think it is up to the parents to get them off their backsides, but if we're talking about just teenagers then they've got to start taking responcibility for their own actions because one of the many joys of the internet means they can educate themselves on the dangers of poor diet and low motility, they can do it in between googling their favorite band.

They can do that, but if they don't it is still their parents responsibility to make sure that their child is developing healthy habits and growing productively. A teenager cannot be left responsible to raise themselves.
yellowstickerface
Geek
yellowstickerface
May 21st, 2008 at 07:28am
The internet has been my lifesaver for the last few years.
It's really helped me with the ups and downs of teen angst.

But it can also drive people crazy, which it has also done to me.
forgotten16
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
forgotten16
May 29th, 2008 at 11:28pm
i think that the internet, if used wisely, can be a really good social tool for us teens. like, i'm REALLLYY shy, on the verge of being irrational. and by having a mibba, GSB, and INO, it has helped me to open up a little, not so much in real life, but on these sites. i have gotten a teency bit less shy in real life too, though...
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 30th, 2008 at 01:38am
yellowstickerface:
The internet has been my lifesaver for the last few years.
It's really helped me with the ups and downs of teen angst.

But it can also drive people crazy, which it has also done to me.

It most definitely will drive you crazy sooner or later but it can help you keep your sanity, which it has done for me.

And the internet can help you stay in touch with your old friends, not just help you get new ones. I managed to keep in touch with lot of my middle school friends that way, considering i couldn't call them anymore and they couldn't call me.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
May 30th, 2008 at 10:54pm
Zach's Girl:
As a tween/teen myself I have come to message boards to get away from home, and not have to be a "goody-goody."

...you shouldn't have to be a 'goody goody' anyways rofl
Joel McHale.
King For A Couple Of Days
Joel McHale.

Blog
June 1st, 2008 at 07:49pm
justxlies.:
The internet stole my childhood and now I am a social retard Smile
Five
Joel McHale.
King For A Couple Of Days
Joel McHale.

Blog
June 1st, 2008 at 07:50pm
Okay, The internet is a place for me to talk to friends when friends arn't around. Not to 'Rebel' and not be a 'goody goody' I already do that anyways. Ask the cart boys at Winco. File
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 1st, 2008 at 08:23pm
Cap'n_Jack_Harkness:
Okay, The internet is a place for me to talk to friends when friends arn't around. Not to 'Rebel' and not be a 'goody goody' I already do that anyways. Ask the cart boys at Winco. File
why do you blow them? lmfao lmfao lmfao
no I'm kidding

yes I'm a social retard as well
During 2006 I was so attatched to this place...
or was it 2007?
who knows.

I can still understand body language.. obviously, but otherwise I'm a little effed lmfao
Register