Philosophy

AuthorMessage
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 22nd, 2008 at 07:19pm
Poette:
Just wondering really quick - is this a debate thread, or not? I thought it was just a place to put your thoughts on philosophy and state different opinions. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You can debate in any thread in this forum, or discuss, just whatever happens to occur.
Rocker Chic
King For A Couple Of Days
Rocker Chic

Blog
April 22nd, 2008 at 07:21pm
Okay. Very Happy
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 23rd, 2008 at 04:21am
Bloodraine:
I don't know about that. I'm doing AS English Literature (which isn't too advanced, I guess...I don't know) and we don't really do any philosophy. In fact, we do far more about how authors use language, historical context and literary criticism. But I think it would be fair to say that English Literature and Philosophy are very much linked; English Literature is really a very broad subject in that it encompasses almost everything. I mean, one can write a book about anything. So I can see how the two are related.
I guess it depends on what you lean and the teacher, but for me, even in GCSE English I did a lot of philosophy. Marxism, absurdism, and existentialism mainly. And those are usually university level subjects.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 23rd, 2008 at 04:38am
Kurtni:
1) I think that it's saying is impossible, such as dualism saying the mind is non-physical *coughanjireplytothiscough* Shifty
I see my cue. So you're materialist then, which is sort of a safeist choise because to prove either dualism or idealism correct means that they automatically become materialism since the interpretation of the abstract makes it physical. I disagree with dualism too but in the case of idealism, of course the mind is non-physical. The mind doesn't manifest itself solely in the brain, it exists along with the brain in a non-physical state subject to interpretation. Nothing is physical everything is a concept. That's what the mind is, a concept. These are the fundamentals of idealism. So if idealism were proven true, every concept would be proven true, and a true concept makes it physical and so everything is materialistic.

As far as dualism goes, most dualists are religious and so believe that God exists in a non-pysical state along with the mind, and no wonder you'd disagree with that. Sarcastic
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
April 23rd, 2008 at 08:59am
1.) What do you believe the definition of philosophy is?
I think that philosophy is the study of human existence (the real one).

2.) What philosophies do you choose to live your life by?
Reliabilism. I choose this one because I cannot trust in a person that I haven't met, like a God for example, I am an agnostic and only stick to the truth.

3.) Do you believe that philosophies were meant to adapt to changing times, or that a good philosophy will hold true infinitely?
It depends on the philosophy. There can be some really useless philosophies but others are really good and they will end up spreading through the people just like religions.

4.) What is the difference between philosophy and religion, if you believe one exists?
You can prove the existence of some philosophies but you can't fully prove religions.

5.) What errors do you see in any particular philosophy?
Dualism. I think that mind and body works as one. Biology teaches us that the endocrine and nervous, for example, lots of our systems.

6.) Do you believe any philosophies should be treated as fact?
Only in the case of reliabilism, but then again a religious person will not agree with me.

7.) Do historical philosophers and philosophies still have importance in modern times?
Yes, I think that they have a high importance. Platonism, for example, can be transformed to Neo-platonism, which is a literature topic used in the Baroque age.
darenmay
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
darenmay
April 23rd, 2008 at 10:20am
philosophy.. i love this subject back in college...
my fave philosopher would be socrates
and the quotation would be from descartes with his 'I think, therefore I am.'

i guess you have read the book Sophie's World'?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 23rd, 2008 at 11:06am
Meski:
Dualism. I think that mind and body works as one. Biology teaches us that the endocrine and nervous, for example, lots of our systems.
Oh my God, people do your research! Dualism states that the mind and body are seperate entities, if you will, but of course they work together! How can your mind work outside of your body, you wouldn't be able to access your mind if it did.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 23rd, 2008 at 11:07am
For the record, if you believe in the mind and the body, no matter what, you are a dualist.

OK, to be fair, maybe people are confusing the philosophical term of the 'mind' with thoughts from the brain.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 23rd, 2008 at 12:32pm
Anji:

OK, to be fair, maybe people are confusing the philosophical term of the 'mind' with thoughts from the brain.
See, I don't think anything else exists aside from what our brain does. All of our thoughts, emotions and actions can be explained by the chemical processes in our body. What reason do we have to believe that we have a nonphysical mind?
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 23rd, 2008 at 12:33pm
Anji:
Meski:
Oh my God, people do your research! Dualism states that the mind and body are seperate entities, if you will, but of course they work together! How can your mind work outside of your body, you wouldn't be able to access your mind if it did.
Perhaps it was the way I worded it that confused them. I'll edit what I said with a more specific definition.
ancient
Had A Life Before GSB
ancient

Blog
April 23rd, 2008 at 12:47pm
Anji:
As far as dualism goes, most dualists are religious and so believe that God exists in a non-pysical state along with the mind, and no wonder you'd disagree with that. Sarcastic

I'M DIGGING THE DUALISM BUT I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD Sad

but then again I do believe in the whole soul reincarnation thing so whatever.

and I don't like the materialist thing Sad

Coolio that's about it yep
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
April 23rd, 2008 at 03:16pm
Kurtni:
Bloodraine:

1. All humans are born good
What exactly do you do when you're born that makes you good? I would have to disagree, and say that we're born indifferent. When you're first born you haven't had time to be good or evil yet.

Quite simply, I believe in innocence until proven guilty. Or good until proven evil.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
April 23rd, 2008 at 07:45pm
In Utero:
omg i think i will be creating my own philosophy when i'm old it will be like polexiaogly and it will be about nirvana and flannels and hippies and all that lovely stuff
I love you.
I'd so follow that.

no but really

I believe

-No matter how big or small in size, or big or small of an impact it will make, all natural things [including animals] should be left as they are.
-Every animal is a gift from nature and should be loved and shouldn't be harmed
- Do not take any kind of medicine unless your life depends on it or if you are in great distress

I'm a very nature-oriented person

Does philosophy have to do with reality? Or can it just be about what you live by?

just wondering
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
April 24th, 2008 at 12:13pm
Bleach:
I love you.
I'd so follow that.

no but really

I believe

-No matter how big or small in size, or big or small of an impact it will make, all natural things [including animals] should be left as they are.
- Do not take any kind of medicine unless your life depends on it or if you are in great distress

Does philosophy have to do with reality? Or can it just be about what you live by?

just wondering
omg but i kill bugs sometimes like my brother is allergic to spiders and if they bite him they swell up and he has to go to a doctor Sad
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 24th, 2008 at 12:41pm
malina amerikanka:
Anji:

I'M DIGGING THE DUALISM BUT I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD Sad

but then again I do believe in the whole soul reincarnation thing so whatever.

and I don't like the materialist thing Sad

Coolio that's about it yep
I don't like materialism either, but I accept that it always comes down to materialism through idealism in my belief. Materialism is much too simple on its own for my liking.

Not all dualists are religious, so much as I probably should have said most of the religious are dualists. It's just because that is how they justify the existance of God, through the same universe as our mind, so he is conceptual which is also how they justify his lack of physical evidence.

You know there is this new theory that all the people who viewed Moses coming down from the hill after God sent him the Ten Commandments and the hill was set on fire, that the witnesses to this were infact high because of some plant commonly found in the Sinai desert that acts as a hallucenagen. No clue how to spell that word.

Not really relevent, oh wait, I've found a relevence. OK, many people will have a laugh about the seemingly hedonistic approaches of the Rastafarian movement, but as a dualistic philosophy, it works because they claim that marijuana brings them closer to God and I suppose it is possible whilst on a 'high' to tap into your mind's subconcious where it's debated that God exists.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
April 24th, 2008 at 07:31pm
In Utero:
Bleach:
I love you.
I'd so follow that.

no but really

I believe

just wondering
omg but i kill bugs sometimes like my brother is allergic to spiders and if they bite him they swell up and he has to go to a doctor Sad
that stinks
I think allergies are another part of the whole survival of the fittest thing.
if a bit of peanut dust can kill you, you're not going to be very successful with the whole idea of SOTF

ANYWAAAAYS...
don't kill bugs
highly unlikely, but maybe a spider that you kill was suppoused to be the spider that eats a mosquito that is infected with this really deadly disease
but if it doesnt get eaten, it will continue to bit animals.

Con
Rocker Chic
King For A Couple Of Days
Rocker Chic

Blog
April 25th, 2008 at 03:20pm
Anji:
Meski:

Well, to be fair, it isn't the easiet concept to understand...
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 27th, 2008 at 09:13am
Trust me, philosophy gets waaay more complicated.
Micro Sheep
Falling In Love With The Board
Micro Sheep
April 27th, 2008 at 02:57pm
I'm not very initiated in the world of philosophy,but I like reading essays and works of the great minds every now and then,so excuse my future mistakes and self contradictions plz Coolio

1.) What do you believe the definition of philosophy is?
I see it as a re-thinking of thinking,the world that's looking at itself from an exterior point of view,it's difficult to put it into words for people like me..
2.) What philosophies do you choose to live your life by?
I don't have one,although I sometimes find myself thinking at the same things as Albert Camus Laughing
3.) Do you believe that philosophies were meant to adapt to changing times, or that a good philosophy will hold true infinitely?
Well I guess it's difficult to tell since there are many branches of philosophy spread all over the material and spiritual world
4.) What is the difference between philosophy and religion, if you believe one exists?
Philosophy can vary, it is less narrow 'minded'
I don't know enough about it to find errors
6.) Do you believe any philosophies should be treated as fact?
Not as an universal fact,but on a less large area,if it is justified..
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 2nd, 2008 at 11:05am
Kurtni:
Bloodraine:

1. All humans are born good
What exactly do you do when you're born that makes you good? I would have to disagree, and say that we're born indifferent. When you're first born you haven't had time to be good or evil yet.

That makes sense, actually. Also made me laugh, but it makes sense.

But what about Lord of the Flies? We're born indifferent, but do we all have innate evil? Are we all Jack Merridews on the inside?
Register