Why no child is safe from the sinister cult of Emo

AuthorMessage
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
May 24th, 2008 at 11:08am
omg guys emo is a subculture. If kids kill or cut themselfs it's probably because they are depressed not because they are "emo". There are people I know that listen to metal and scremo that are perfactly happy and I also know people who listen to bubblegum pop and disney music who suffer from depression.

The Chicago Tribune had an article similer to this about a year ago, I am not emo and I don't listen to emo music but I still found the article to be ignorant. Parents should know better then to blame their childrens music or clothing for their problims.
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
May 24th, 2008 at 02:49pm
^^ that's what we've been saying basically.

I read the Daily Mail today and found that it made me want to cut myself,
I wonder what they would say if I wrote to them saying that......
0-0
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
May 24th, 2008 at 02:52pm
Today's Daily Mail (like most other editions) was full of bullshit.
There was an article about how impossible it is for people to trust the detective who lied about finding a piece of child's skull from the children's home a few weeks ago... And last week they ran a piece that was about how we SHOULD trust him because he only lied to protect the investigation.

It's full of rubbish.
Tramp Bear!!! oh yeah.
Falling In Love With The Board
Tramp Bear!!! oh yeah.
May 26th, 2008 at 02:03pm
You can't physically ban a cultur ei don't think, that's basically sayin you can't be who you want to be - infringment of human rights right there Hand

And i'm not being funny, at such an age yes you are influenced by media and family, even at that age the way you take it is up to you.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
May 26th, 2008 at 02:10pm
Omg is it just me or is this like Columbine, with Marilyn Manson and stuff.

I think that if some Christina Aguilera fan hung herself after starting to listen alot to her music, then noone would think "Omg it's because of the music! BAN X-TINA!!"
because it's pop, and ~it's happy~ Neutral
givemyselfthecreeps!
givemyselfthecreeps!
May 26th, 2008 at 05:03pm
ocean avenue:
Omg is it just me or is this like Columbine, with Marilyn Manson and stuff.

I think that if some Christina Aguilera fan hung herself after starting to listen alot to her music, then noone would think "Omg it's because of the music! BAN X-TINA!!"
because it's pop, and ~it's happy~ Neutral
lmfao

People always make stupid correllations like that.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 27th, 2008 at 10:38am
I dont see how the correlation between self-harm and suicide with emo or goth or punk culture is stupid. I mean, quite a few artists do glorify it to some extent. Of course its not right to solely blame a countercultural movement, its not like it doesnt have an influence.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 27th, 2008 at 02:07pm
Anji:
. Of course its not right to solely blame a countercultural movement, its not like it doesnt have an influence.
Thats my take on this. Do bands like MCR and marilyn manson sing about dark, depressing things? Ah, yeah. They've made millions doing it too. And does it influence kids? Of course. Most things around you influence you one way or another. But, I don't blame them either, because they have the creative freedom to do so. I think parents need to step up. And I'm not saying they need to shelter their kids from all the ~bad~ aspects of life, being oversheltered is half the problem. But, kids need to know how to cope with the influence of the media. No mentally stable, well raised child is going to kill themselves just because a song said so. To be that impressionable, parents slipped up somewhere along the line.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
May 27th, 2008 at 02:48pm
oh jeez
you have got to be kidding me
people influence themselves and they choose wheather they let other people influence them or not
music has nothing to do with it
maybe she had problems she just never told anyone about
and with the emo thing how it made her kill herself
wtf
if a girl that listened to britney spears and wore pink all the time killed herself would they blame it on the music or being preppy?
i highly doubt it
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 28th, 2008 at 06:12am
Kurtni:
Thats my take on this. Do bands like MCR and marilyn manson sing about dark, depressing things? Ah, yeah. They've made millions doing it too. And does it influence kids? Of course. Most things around you influence you one way or another. But, I don't blame them either, because they have the creative freedom to do so. I think parents need to step up. And I'm not saying they need to shelter their kids from all the ~bad~ aspects of life, being oversheltered is half the problem. But, kids need to know how to cope with the influence of the media. No mentally stable, well raised child is going to kill themselves just because a song said so. To be that impressionable, parents slipped up somewhere along the line.
Its obvious that a child will find some sort of connection to the music or message of a band or culture, before the initial influence. This is their sole independent choice, which is actually also influenced by their interaction with their environment. I mean, thats what made them so susceptible to bands like My Chemical Romance and what not. Similarly people who are extrovertive and more socially aware will take to pop music simply for its popularity and its mood. It just so happens that emo culture does emphasis self-criticism and sometimes loathing to the point of glorifying self-harm and possibly suicide as some sort of catharsis.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 28th, 2008 at 09:09am
*Eat Tré`s Shoe*:

people influence themselves and they choose wheather they let other people influence them or not
I don't think so. Think Virtually every opinion you hold is the result of something influencing you, and I don't think you are always aware of the influence to make the choice.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 28th, 2008 at 10:23am
Kurtni:
Anji:
. Of course its not right to solely blame a countercultural movement, its not like it doesnt have an influence.

But that's like saying parents need to make sure their kids don't listen to "depressing" music. It sounds trite, but I think the problem is communication. Kids can't talk to their parents about music...or a lot of things really. Parents may say "This music is trash". But it'd really help if kids and parents discussed the music or the things being presented to them through whatever form of media.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 28th, 2008 at 10:24am
lyrical_mess:
But that's like saying parents need to make sure their kids don't listen to "depressing" music.

...It is? Coolio
Kurtni:
And I'm not saying they need to shelter their kids from all the ~bad~ aspects of life, being oversheltered is half the problem.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 28th, 2008 at 10:29am
Crap. Sorry. I didn't read it properly. Lost my glasses again. I thought someone told me Sid Vicious was pregnant this morning.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
May 28th, 2008 at 10:31am
lyrical_mess:
Crap. Sorry. I didn't read it properly. Lost my glasses again. I thought someone told me Sid Vicious was pregnant this morning.

lmfao Thats ok. I was reading through headlines on CNN the other day without my glasses, and I mixed two together and it was something about British people being upset about the price of single gay men. Shifty
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
May 28th, 2008 at 10:32am
Kurtni:
lyrical_mess:

lmfao Thats ok. I was reading through headlines on CNN the other day without my glasses, and I mixed two together and it was something about British people being upset about the price of single gay men. Shifty

Myopics unite!
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
May 28th, 2008 at 11:19am
lyrical_mess:
Kurtni:
lyrical_mess:

Myopics unite!

**Has lost 10 braincells**
imagen the babiez....
**ponderz**
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
May 28th, 2008 at 03:59pm
Righ?:
lyrical_mess:
Kurtni:
lyrical_mess:

Myopics unite!

**Has lost 10 braincells**
imagen the babiez....
**ponderz**

I find ithighly ironic that you worry about their offspring.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
May 28th, 2008 at 08:13pm
I think it's the parent's fault and the girls fault.
I'm just going to be pretty casual with this...

was the girl suffering from depression? or something?
Because what pisses me off is that people will listen to depressing music, or music with dark/depressing themes, they may have a great life and all, but they just try to connect with the music, pick out any faults in their lives, and just become focused on them... and are so called 'depressed'
My ex friend is like this.
Ever since he's been really getting into certain metal music [like Slipknot] he's just gotten all emotional, cuts, claims he's depressed, and has told me he's going to like, kill himself if his girlfriend breaks up with him Rolling Eyes

okay, that was a bit of a rant.
And really, she's 13. She doesn't have the knowlege to realize what suicide really is. For one, it is usually very selfish.
givemyselfthecreeps!
givemyselfthecreeps!
May 29th, 2008 at 03:28am
My friend suffers from depression and finds hope in the lyrics of My Chemical Romance. They are against suicide, they don't encourage it.

Everything is up to personal interpretation.
Register