Why no child is safe from the sinister cult of Emo

AuthorMessage
Verbatim.
King For A Couple Of Days
Verbatim.
July 20th, 2008 at 12:34pm
When the person who made that video can't even spell "abortion" correctly, I wouldn't be too trusting of that information, tbh.
toybox trash
Jackass
toybox trash
July 20th, 2008 at 12:52pm
hmm. idk then.

i'll try to find the real info.
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
August 15th, 2008 at 02:50pm
Start Something.:
When the person who made that video can't even spell "abortion" correctly, I wouldn't be too trusting of that information, tbh.

I agree ^-^

[haven't posted on my own thread for awhile so howdy-do-di!]
StraightFromdaFridge
Geek
StraightFromdaFridge
August 16th, 2008 at 04:51pm
The Daily Mail is definatley being biased/ridiculous. You can't blame something like suicide on music; especially music like Blink 182 and Green Day. Come on, most of those songs are funny and just meant to be fun... Many people listen to the same bands as those who have committed suicide. Those who kill themselves are a very VERY low percentage of the bands' fan base, and that should say a lot to people. Mostly, parents and the such don't want to admit that anything else could have been the cause, so they're quick to point the finger at something irrelevant.
StraightFromdaFridge
Geek
StraightFromdaFridge
August 16th, 2008 at 04:54pm
those numbers are not correct in the video at all, by the way. I know more than 500 kids in this area that do drugs... and she can't spell worth shit.
PCG
Jackass
PCG

Mibba Blog
August 17th, 2008 at 03:03pm
Kurtni:
Sky Loves Green Day:
Dude, nobody gives a fuck.
Except for the little fact that many people do. Coolio If no one cared, this wouldn't be so controversial. Parents and music clash a lot. They definitely care, ask Marilyn Manson. Mr. Green

That's not what I meant. I meant that people aren't touching on the real issue, so they must not care that much or else they'd see how stupid they're being. Yeah, parents and music do clash. Don't I know it. But it's not the music, it's the parents. It's the parents hating the music. The music helps and the parents hurt. Case closed. I'm just saying htat if parents really cared they wouldn't be such assholes.
PCG
Jackass
PCG

Mibba Blog
August 17th, 2008 at 03:12pm
Start Something.:

If you read the video description, it says that the person's sorry that they spelled "abortion" wrong. Also, that might've been from some other time where the government did a poll in a random area or something.
Verbatim.
King For A Couple Of Days
Verbatim.
August 17th, 2008 at 06:20pm
St. Jimmy's Bitch:
Start Something.:

If you read the video description, it says that the person's sorry that they spelled "abortion" wrong. Also, that might've been from some other time where the government did a poll in a random area or something.

well if the information was from "a random area" then they still shouldn't really be used. It would've been far more appropriate to use national statistics, which generalises the whole country, rather than just highlighting one specific area, and making no mention of that.

Either way, it is very misleading, and I find the figures hard to believe at all. I'm quite sure it wouldn't be difficult to find national statistics for any of those topics.

Edit: it'd have to be a pretty big "random area" to find somewhere that 1000 kids drink alcohol in school every day.
toybox trash
Jackass
toybox trash
August 22nd, 2008 at 01:15pm
I think that it might have some true roots but it could've been made a while ago. I believe the suicide thing but somehow it really is hard to imagine kids dropping off the face of the earth that many in a day. idk why, it's just strange when i only know one person who's committed suicide.
WhoTheFuckIsCool?
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
WhoTheFuckIsCool?
August 27th, 2008 at 04:45am
Urgh, I remember reading about this a few months back in K! it's fucking stupid. The daily mail along with many other forms of media have no idea what their talking about. It makes me so angry that they print these things without even understanding what bands like My Chemical Romance are about. Although Hannah Bond's suicide was a terrible thing, the music should not be blamed, I read the stories on it, and apparently she'd joined an online 'emo cult' that encouraged self harm so why is that not being blamed, and I also read that her father saw cuts on her arms, and didnt do anything about it, So if thats true why didnt he? So I think that it's people that, misinterprate the Music from bands such as MCR/Blink 182 and people who take the lable 'emo' too far or mis understand it, and its so stupid when the Music we listen to is supposed to have the opposite effect .. *rant over*
WhoTheFuckIsCool?
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
WhoTheFuckIsCool?
August 27th, 2008 at 04:51am
And Oh my god, I can't believe the statistics on that video.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
August 27th, 2008 at 11:03pm
I'm sick of people complaining about emo. Get over it. I don't think it's a big deal at all.
Janie Jones
Falling In Love With The Board
Janie Jones
September 19th, 2008 at 10:23pm
I don't think music makes anybody do anything. When it comes down to it, it's a person's decision, and in general people who commit suicide have problems in their lives that began way before they bought a certain record, etc. There have been a lot of horrible, tragic incidents related to the subject and I can definitely see why parents would want to blame somebody, but...in this event, specifically, the media made the poor girl's musical taste a much bigger deal than it should have been.
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
September 20th, 2008 at 12:11pm
If you can't handle your music, then its your personal problem. Its also called natural selection. Those who can't handle their surroundings or their lives will die, whether it be by some accident or by their own hand.
Emo music is dark, yes, its emotional and deep, and some people can't take it. Listen to me, if you can't handle it, don't. I was depressed for a while, maybe because of my tastes, and i decided to take a little break from the music i loved. It worked, and now i can listen to it 100% and feel fine. She should have learned to control herself. Control is essential.

Scapegoating musical minorities as in subgenres of punk-rock. Don't hit me.
Its seriously retarded that one would go and blame My Chem for Hannah's death. Seriously, its effed up. Okay, so we all know that their lyrics are dark and bloody and bla bla bla, but thats their style. You can't change the world, the world will change you.

In estonia we have this saying: viin on tarkade jook, mis aga ei tähenda, et targad seda jooksid. Translated, it means: Vodka is a wise man's drink which doesn't mean that wise men drink vodka. This thought can be applied here. This type of music is meant for those who feel connected to it and who can handle it. It does not mean, that those who listen to it, feel connected or are able to handle it.

Fin.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 20th, 2008 at 12:51pm
Green Day's music brought a kid out of a coma. The power of music can be surprisingly strong. 'Gloomy Sunday' as sung by Billie Holiday is the most popular suicidal song, apparently.
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
September 20th, 2008 at 05:48pm
Anji:
Green Day's music brought a kid out of a coma. The power of music can be surprisingly strong. 'Gloomy Sunday' as sung by Billie Holiday is the most popular suicidal song, apparently.

Personally I think that if you played that kid any type of band he knew it would have bought him outta that coma, coincidentally it was Green Day.
a-a-a-a
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
a-a-a-a
September 20th, 2008 at 06:56pm
Toasty:
Anji:

Personally I think that if you played that kid any type of band he knew it would have bought him outta that coma, coincidentally it was Green Day.

I agree. It coulda been any band/singer.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 20th, 2008 at 11:51pm
ScottishReplica:
Toasty:
Anji:

Apparently not though. This kid was like major obsessed and there have been studies that show that physical stimuli, mainly sounds, of something familiar can bring people out of comas which are not too deep.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 20th, 2008 at 11:57pm
Anyway, music can definatly persuade people to do all sorts of things, just like any other type of media.
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
September 22nd, 2008 at 03:22pm
Anji:
ScottishReplica:
Toasty:
Anji:

Apparently not though. This kid was like major obsessed and there have been studies that show that physical stimuli, mainly sounds, of something familiar can bring people out of comas which are not too deep.

Seriously?? Shocked
Woah I never knew that....
Register