Why no child is safe from the sinister cult of Emo

AuthorMessage
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
September 23rd, 2008 at 09:36pm
christ if i get into a coma they better serenade me with miley

but yeah, i think if the percentages say "emos" are more likely to commit suicide, i really think they were "emo" because they were depressed, not they were depressed because they were "emo"

so i don't think it like causes depression, just those who are depressed are more likely to identify with it

some, not all, people i mean
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
September 24th, 2008 at 04:16pm
However I still think that peer pressure is a key factor in this....
freshavocado
Addict
freshavocado

Blog
September 24th, 2008 at 07:25pm
people need to stop blaming the bands, I can tell you the kids in my school all listen to My Chemical Romance, we have never had any suicides in the school. It is very unfortunate that this young talented girl took her life, but music should not be used as a scapegoat.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
September 25th, 2008 at 03:39pm
Anji:
Anyway, music can definatly persuade people to do all sorts of things, just like any other type of media.
Definitely. Music, maybe more so than other forms of media, can seriously influence people and affect you. However, I don't think the blame can be put on music.

For example, X amount of girls look at magazines glorifying thiness and physical beauty, but the entire X amount of girls are not driven to anorexia by the media. Using myself as an example, I'll be the first to admit that I adore fashion and trendy magazines influence the clothes I wear a lot, but I draw a line and have the ability to distinguish between the reality we live in, and the picture-perfect world depicted in magazines so I wouldn't do something to harm myself. Music is the same way. Not everyone has had the same parental guidance or education to cope with the media, or they've been sheltered from it, and thats the problem.
Janie Jones
Falling In Love With The Board
Janie Jones
September 25th, 2008 at 06:12pm
Kurtni:
Anji:
Anyway, music can definatly persuade people to do all sorts of things, just like any other type of media.
Definitely. Music, maybe more so than other forms of media, can seriously influence people and affect you. However, I don't think the blame can be put on music.

For example, X amount of girls look at magazines glorifying thiness and physical beauty, but the entire X amount of girls are not driven to anorexia by the media. Using myself as an example, I'll be the first to admit that I adore fashion and trendy magazines influence the clothes I wear a lot, but I draw a line and have the ability to distinguish between the reality we live in, and the picture-perfect world depicted in magazines so I wouldn't do something to harm myself. Music is the same way. Not everyone has had the same parental guidance or education to cope with the media, or they've been sheltered from it, and thats the problem.

Well said. I think that it's something in the person's personality/upbringing that ultimately results in a decision like that, not necessarily what they listen to or watch on TV, no matter how big a part of their life that is.
Micro Sheep
Falling In Love With The Board
Micro Sheep
October 21st, 2008 at 03:45pm
sinister cult of emo? i would have never believed 4-5 years ago that this trend would go so far. i am eager to see the hipster cult next.
seriously now, i am firmly convinced that the children/teens who comitted suicide 'because of this emo thing' had some emotional/mental stability problems even before emo came to power. this trend just sharpened their wrong beliefs
Dana.
This Board Is My Home
Dana.

Blog
October 26th, 2008 at 12:34pm
A lot of people think that My Chemical Romance is suicide music because of their lyrics. These are the people who do not want to hear the message behind the lyrics. I've always listened to MCR for four years and I've never wanted to kill myself or cut myself. I am Emo because of the way I dress and the music I listen to. I like to listen to this kind of music because it keeps me sane. I am happy because of the music I listen to.
KidWithTheChemicals
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
KidWithTheChemicals
October 28th, 2008 at 02:36pm
I think a lot of teenagers want to hide behind a stereotype when they're at their self doubting peek in life, i did just the same.
Emo is just the new type to hide behind, in my days it was goth/punk
It's really not a bad thing, they usually feel safer and more confident this way and are a lot more approachable by others.

Of course It's possible to just like Emo music but, I do believe it became so mainstream because you can hide yourself and your fears.
Everybody finds themselves in different ways, telling emo's they're pathetic is just ignorant and stupid.
PCG
Jackass
PCG

Mibba Blog
October 31st, 2008 at 09:47pm
I think that the whole "MCR suicide cult" thing is bullshit.

And does anyone remember the whole, "protest the Daily Mail London office" thing?

And also what Gerard Way said:

"They're calling us a fucking cult! THey're calling you, our fans, a fucking cult? Can you believe that? We are not a cult, WE ARE AN ARMY!!! THE MCRMY!!! FUCK THE DAILY MAIL! FUCK THE DAILY MAIL!!! FUCK THE DAILY MAIL!!!"

Adn the whole damn crowd started chanting along.

Or something like that, idk, it was similar.

But Oh my Gerard! This whole thing would go away if people weren't such assholes, if they just fucking understood! Me and my friends have a fucking YouTube account we share dedicated to fighting the war against emo haters and people like that.

It fucking rox!

But back on topic...

WE ARE THE MCRMY AND WE DON'T TAKE NO SHIT FROM NOBODY, ESPECIALLY THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS AT THE DAILY FUCKING MAIL!!!
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
November 3rd, 2008 at 03:48pm
Mikey.:

But Oh my Gerard!
Replacing "god" with "Gerard" is probably not the best way to go about showing that MCR fans aren't a cult. Shifty
PCG
Jackass
PCG

Mibba Blog
November 4th, 2008 at 07:13am
Kurtni:
Mikey.:

But Oh my Gerard!
Replacing "god" with "Gerard" is probably not the best way to go about showing that MCR fans aren't a cult. Shifty

No no no, you misunderstand.
See, I don't worship him in htat way. It's more of that....
Well, I guess it's just because he's saved my life so much, and he's really awesome. I used to use the names of Green Day members like that, and nobody called Green Day fans a cult!
Besides, I think it's better than saying God's name in vain, cuz your not supposed to do that.
It's like the equivelant of saying, "Oh my gosh!" Coffee
Princessrochelle__x
Geek
Princessrochelle__x
November 4th, 2008 at 02:30pm
hmmm
i think its not the music at all
its the way people interpret the music when they listen to it
i think its all about people looking for attention when they do all that self harm stuff
i knew people who did it just because they liked the attention from everyone making a fuss of them
i was like :O
people these day ey?

mind you thats just my opinion so no one have a go at me Sad
u r a smeghead
Idiot
u r a smeghead

Blog
November 13th, 2008 at 06:12am
Princessrochelle__x:
hmmm
i think its not the music at all
its the way people interpret the music when they listen to it
i think its all about people looking for attention when they do all that self harm stuff
i knew people who did it just because they liked the attention from everyone making a fuss of them
i was like :O
people these day ey?

mind you thats just my opinion so no one have a go at me Sad
i completely agree with you. but what about people who keep the depression a secret? the way my parents found out i was going through depression, was they read my diary, and now they dont give a crap. but they did that before i had started listening to mcr, so i think it isnt music that does it.
Effy
Addict
Effy
November 27th, 2008 at 10:27am
If you are part of a subculture, and that subculture made you depressed, then why the hell would you want to be part of it?

I think it is stupid that people seem to think that clothes and music make you feel a certain way. Of course I know that music can make you feel happy, or sad, but what kind of music drives you in a serious depression? So serious even, that you would want to kill yourself?

It is a big mistake that the media would portray a certain subculture as being a suicide cult. That just drives children that already are depressed into it (at least to me that sounds logial). I have heard about people that were depressed and heard about cutting and being emo, and decided to cut or be emo, because they felt they should. And in the end it was just unsatisfying for them. So they did those things because the media or people that misunderstand emo explained it as a subculture where you are supposed to be sad, depressed and a cutter. I once read a letter from a girl who felt depressed and cut because she thought she was suposed to, and she wrote:

'And I think I did it wrong becaus it really hurts! And I did not feel better afterwards, can someone explain to me how I should cut?'

It was the stupidest thing I ever heard.
Emo is just a teen subculture, it does not kill people (and if it does, it only kills stupid people that can't think for themselves).
ChloeJayne
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
ChloeJayne
November 28th, 2008 at 02:55am
I agree with the fact that music can have a major influence on someone's life choices.
However, I do not agree that band's such as 'Green Day' 'MCR' and 'Blink-182' should be blamed, as personally, they make me feel good about myself.

Say if the girl was listening to band's that actually really do promote self-harm and suicide, that would be another story.
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
November 30th, 2008 at 01:39am
the way people talk about it, "emo" sounds like a evil political power bent on world domination and my chemical romance is the current administration Coolio
PCG
Jackass
PCG

Mibba Blog
December 1st, 2008 at 02:56pm
Music is Life and Love and everything good. I think God might not be Light, but Music. And if Music is Death, then that's just part of the process. But I don't believe it for one second.

And anyways, people die. It happens. Why does it matter when, how, or why? For all we know, these people could've died the next day. But if one or two people are idiots (which is the media's fault) then why are we getting punished? My parents think I'm emo because I listen to bands that wear eyeliner. Fuck that! It keeps me sane, alive, and whole, so they'd better shut the fuck up and BURN THE MOTHERFUCKING MEDIA!!!

Sory for my angry rant. BLAME THE MEDIA, NOT THE MUSIC!!!
icegirl.
Jackass
icegirl.

Blog
December 1st, 2008 at 05:30pm
Dude, If I listened to a Jonas Brothers or Britney Spears song i'd want to hang myself. Not MCR or GD or Blink ? WTF ? I think she killed herself 'cause she thought that was 'cool' or something.

Oh, and I heard MCR fans protested or did a march or something to the Daily Mail with banners such as "MCR Saves Lives" and what not. Good on 'em (Y)

They also banned emo and goth in Russia because of suicides. Pfft, If they do that they should ban gangster.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
December 2nd, 2008 at 04:09pm
Viva La Gloria:
I think she killed herself 'cause she thought that was 'cool' or something.
I just laughed my ass off so much
because I kinda agree

you're gonna get verbally beaten the shit out of though.
icegirl.
Jackass
icegirl.

Blog
December 3rd, 2008 at 05:23am
Bleach:
Viva La Gloria:
I think she killed herself 'cause she thought that was 'cool' or something.
I just laughed my ass off so much
because I kinda agree

you're gonna get verbally beaten the shit out of though.

It's true and you agreed. File OH COME ON YOU KNOW THATS TRUE PEOPLE.
Register