Falling In Love With The Board
Robbie
June 5th, 2008 at 08:07pm
Discuss here.
Love my insanity
Jackass
Love my insanity
June 5th, 2008 at 08:59pm
I love slash. Usually only green day slash. Is that what the basis of this thread is?
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 5th, 2008 at 11:23pm
I think it's freaking gross
But if it's you're way of expression, go for it.
steph.
Banned
steph.

Blog
June 5th, 2008 at 11:49pm
omg lol

i didn't see anything wrong with slash and then i found some written about somebody i know and it's like ..........huh yknow someone KNOWS about the people youre writing about and its kinda like woah man
Shock Treatment
Geek
Shock Treatment

Mibba
June 6th, 2008 at 02:49am
dude, its weird.

i mean if you were in a band, and you google yourselfs or something, and you see loads of storys about you and your fellow band members having sex and stuff.

i'd be freaked out.
steph.
Banned
steph.

Blog
June 6th, 2008 at 04:24am
black math:
dude, its weird.

i mean if you were in a band, and you google yourselfs or something, and you see loads of storys about you and your fellow band members having sex and stuff.

i'd be freaked out.
idk man i would love it if people wrote shit about me if i was famous i'd be like open to reading everything people write about me and would offer constructive criticism i think that'd be fabulous
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 6th, 2008 at 12:39pm
I find it a bit disrespectful for the people the person is writing about
Jesse Lacey
Post Whore
Jesse Lacey

Mibba Blog
June 6th, 2008 at 12:40pm
Bleach:
So do I.
If they're not gay, or especially if they're straight and married, I think it's disrespectful.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 6th, 2008 at 12:41pm
BRAND NEW.:
Bleach:
So do I.
If they're not gay, or especially if they're straight and married, I think it's disrespectful.
I know, it's like OMG BILLIE AND HOUSE OTP!!!
just no.
Jesse Lacey
Post Whore
Jesse Lacey

Mibba Blog
June 6th, 2008 at 12:46pm
Bleach:
BRAND NEW.:
Bleach:
So do I.
just no.
I know.
And, like, what if their kids read that?
I KNOW it would disturb me if I read a story, even if I know it's not true, about my father having gay relations with another man.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
June 6th, 2008 at 12:52pm
BRAND NEW.:
Bleach:
BRAND NEW.:
Bleach:
So do I.
just no.
I know.
I KNOW it would disturb me if I read a story, even if I know it's not true, about my father having gay relations with another man.
okay, that was really funny lmfao
Really.it just friggin grosses me out.
and like, some of these pairings make no sense and theres even 20 years differences and incest... what the hell.
that isn't very appropriate. For anyone.
Let them be and don't make up stories of them having sex with people they don't love
Jesse Lacey
Post Whore
Jesse Lacey

Mibba Blog
June 6th, 2008 at 12:54pm
Bleach:
BRAND NEW.:
Bleach:
BRAND NEW.:
Bleach:
So do I.
just no.
I know.
okay, that was really funny lmfao
Really.it just friggin grosses me out.
and like, some of these pairings make no sense and theres even 20 years differences and incest... what the hell.
that isn't very appropriate. For anyone.
Let them be and don't make up stories of them having sex with people they don't love
I agree.
I've heard people have written about Mikey and Gerard, or whatever, from MCR having sex.
And they're like brothers or something.
That's just gross and wrong, and demeaning to the band and their "image."
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
June 6th, 2008 at 01:03pm
Reading Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence changed my perspectives on fiction with an erotic side to it. Beforehand, I thought any kind of sex in fiction form was kind of perverse and voyeuristic (not that I was particularly against it, I've been known to read slash fanfiction myself). Now I see that, when done professionally, it can be a literary masterpiece.

Not that I'm really suggesting that fanfiction is at the same level as classic literature, which it really isn't. I'm just trying to say that not all fiction that includes detailed descriptions of love-making can be tarred with the same brush.

Really, though, I find the majority of slash fanfiction a bit cringey to read. I just can't get myself to like it, although I have actually tried. I don't have anything against it, though. If anything, I'm very much pro-writing. I believe that people should be able to write about whoever or whatever inspires them, I don't see any of it as 'disrespectful'. People make millions out of selling books which incite scandal or criticise other people or are demeaning towards another human being in some way. Particularly memoirs like Cherie Blair's, for example. So it isn't exactly like slash is the only disrespectful type of writing; at least this is only fictional, and it could be far worse.

So ultimately I believe that whether you read slash or write slash is a matter of personal taste. On the whole, though, it probably isn't for me.
votefordisco
Rotting On Here
votefordisco

Mibba
June 6th, 2008 at 03:38pm
Oh, there are some points that have been made here that I hadn't really thought of before.

I can see how writing about real people could be disrespectful. I can, but on the other hand, it is fiction. The people in the stories are based on images of real people, but they're just made up characters, really. It would be weird to write it about people you know personally, but if you're just using inspiration from your idols or something...I don't know. It's still kind of creepy.

I don't think there's anything wrong with writing about two men having sex. It's just the same as writing about a man and woman having sex to me. Some people might find it gross - to have sex written about at all - but that's a personal preference, really. If you want to read about people having sex, it shouldn't matter whether it's about two men, two women or a male and a female.

I can see the problem with writing about real people though. I do it myself, but thinking about it, I can't really justify it. I create characters based on famous people that I fancy. Yeah, I guess it's kind of disrespectful. But then again, it is only fanfiction. I don't really write about them having sex, but I do write about them being in love, because I like writing about love, and I guess I find it easier to base my characters on real people.

I don't know if it's wrong. Slash isn't wrong in itself. Slash based on real people definitely could be.
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
June 7th, 2008 at 04:07am
i'm not really into slash, but there are some really talented kids out there.
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
June 7th, 2008 at 04:08am
BRAND NEW.:
Bleach:
So do I.

why? it's fiction.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
June 7th, 2008 at 08:13am
Sometimes it can be disrespectful, though it is fiction, it is also based on true people. They can get offended, I mean, it's like some false rumour that's being spread about you, it's just not very nice.

However, it seems that most celebrities that are at the end of these stories aren't to bothered with it. I mean, David Tennant on FNP, abolutely classic. It shows character, that they aren't bothered by it. It kinda does show a dedicated fan base, who absolutely idolise and fantasize about them.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
June 7th, 2008 at 11:05am
As a slash author, I'd like to say that slash DOES NOT mean only sex. Slash is just a gay pairing. HP slash exists, DBZ slash, YYH slash, Lizzie McGuire femmeslash (yeah, its weird...). It doesn't necessarily mean sex. And its a form of expression like any other. While badly written sex scenes usually make the reader suicidal, slash can be pwnful is handled tastefully.

The thing is, you take a character/person and while still using known personality and physical traits, you also take a lot of creative liberty to change around certain aspects of the person/character. And when you make the person/character gay, it becomes slash. And I see nothing wrong with it.

However, it would be very very stupid to show a celebrity a hardcore sex scene involving him and one of his colleagues.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
June 7th, 2008 at 01:20pm
lyrical_mess:
However, it would be very very stupid to show a celebrity a hardcore sex scene involving him and one of his colleagues.

Why?
tbh, I think they have a right to know as much as anything else. Besides, the results can be entertaining;

Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
June 7th, 2008 at 07:49pm
So I'm sort of a regular over at this website, and at the beginning of every story, slash or no, the author states that he or she does not own the characters of people in the story, and that he or she is making the story up entirely and none of these events really happened. Which I think makes it pretty clear that the events following are not real, and no sort of facts can be drawn from them.

I think slash is a quite legitimate type of fiction, and it's all a matter of taste. Personally, I find it entertaining most of the time, and there are a lot of slash authors who are extrememly talented and their stories contain a lot more than sex, and they just happen to have characters and people in their story who already exist.
Register