Slash Fiction

AuthorMessage
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
October 26th, 2009 at 06:08pm
Bloodraine:
My previous posts in this thread were kind of retarded so whaddup I'm ~updating my stance.
I write slash, I read slash. Strictly based on fictional characters. Mostly just for one fandom and one specific pairing. My fics are all pretty nonexplicit middle of the road stuff. I think fanfiction as a whole is a beautiful tribute to something you admire or adore. With books, people love the stories so much, they don't want them to end, so they go on making them.

Now down to the nitty-gritty of hardcore 'slash' which I'm sure is all we're interested in. If we're talking about actual erotica, N-17, explicit sex, BDSM, bestiality, mpreg and basically the most disturbing stuff out there...well, in my experience of reading this shit, I've never come across an author of explicit stuff who doesn't tag it properly. People write warnings. It's there in black and white. If you choose to ignore it and you come across corpse!sex it's your own fkn fault. Okay, if there are people out there who tag their stories incorrectly and kids stumble across it, I can see the reason to be angry. But I've never seen it happen.

I think you can find worse things in books. Gay erotica exists in book form too. You can go to the library at any age and find the Marquis de Sade. I wouldn't recommend it actually, whatever your age, unless you're keen on that stuff. Slash isn't this evil thing that corrupts kids; real, actual books can be explicit and disturbing too.

I agree with you to an extent.
I have this addiction to Harry Potter fanfiction, because I can't accept the fact that the series has ended and I refuse to let it end the way it did.

Now like you said, down to the nitty gritty.
As long as it's labelled, there's nothing can be done to prevent it. In fact I don't really think anything can be done to prevent it. You can censor the title, but you can't censor curiosity.

My skin crawls at the thoughts of kids reading the pervy stuff.

Here in Ireland though, like you said with the library, you can't do that. The books have ratings that are keyed into the check out desks. Something that isn't fit for the borrower will be taken back.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
October 27th, 2009 at 07:16pm
Kids pick up on sex from everywhere, like you say parents, friends siblings, soaps, but not in the graphic detail some slash fics present. I'm nearly 19 and what I've read in some of those things gross me out.

You feel I'm underestimating children by saying they have diverse thinkings? That is a very strange thing to feel, very strange indeed. I'm actually surprised by that.[/quote]
No, I feel you're under-estimating them by making out they're going to be traumatised by reading a few explicit fanfics.

And as Bloodraine pointed out, it's hard to stumble across the hard core stuff by accident, most young fanfic readers start withthe more fluffy stuff on livejournal, you'd have to do a lot more digging to get the 4chan style ones.

Children may not focus on fairy tale details.
Preteens will very much focus on any sexual act they come across. They're hitting hte teen period, it's practically their job to focus in on it.

Not a bad thing.

And of course it arouses curiosity, there'd be something wrong if it didn't.
But I see no sense in exposing a 12 year old to the minute by minute details of a blow job or having a dick rammed up someone's arse.

By all means, if you feel there's nothing wrong with explaining how to do those things, then you keep that opinion
But If i ever saw my younger sister reading that pervy stuff, I'd toss the computer out one window, and her out the other.

Meh I guess I'm just very liberal when it comes to these things. I think pre-teens are bombarded with sex and it's better that they find a way to satisfy that curiosity on the internet, rather than actually having sex, which disturbingly a lot of pre-teens are doing. I think if I found my younger sister reading the pervy stuff, I don't think I'd mind...but I'd probably have a very awkward talk with her about how reading about sex is okay, but having it at such a young age isn't!

Judge Turpin:
Here in Ireland though, like you said with the library, you can't do that. The books have ratings that are keyed into the check out desks. Something that isn't fit for the borrower will be taken back.

Maybe in your library, none of the books in my library have ratings. Plus your not taking into account book stores, I doubt any checkout worker in Easons would look twice at whatever anyone brought up.
ZukoAlone
Idiot
ZukoAlone
October 27th, 2009 at 07:43pm
Incubus:
Judge Turpin:

Maybe in your library, none of the books in my library have ratings. Plus your not taking into account book stores, I doubt any checkout worker in Easons would look twice at whatever anyone brought up.

I strongly dislike when libraries won't let me check out books D: I have to be 18 to rent some books...It's happened to me on more than one occasion. It upsets me because I am more mature and I AM able to read literature with strong content in it. :/ I think my mom had to check out The Reader for me a couple of months ago.
Is it biased to let someone underage check out a book with STRONG VIOLENCE but not a book with STRONG SEXUAL CONTENT?
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
October 27th, 2009 at 08:07pm
In bookstores it is code to request id if a person is shifty. Thats just how we work.

Its very easy to come across harcore crap. Fanfiction.net. Just search the parirings and you'll get a lot of graphic.

I don't condone my younger sister having or reading sex. None of them go down well with me. If shes reading it, it puts ideas in her head. If she's having it, those ideas were more then likely stimulated from somewhere.

I don't condone it, simple as that.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
October 27th, 2009 at 08:13pm
Judge Turpin:
I don't condone my younger sister having or reading sex. None of them go down well with me. If shes reading it, it puts ideas in her head. If she's having it, those ideas were more then likely stimulated from somewhere.

Oh come on! People who having sex long before it was written about; it's just instinct.
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
October 27th, 2009 at 08:26pm
Incubus:
Judge Turpin:

Oh come on! People who having sex long before it was written about; it's just instinct.

Exactly. Long before. That was the past. Different thinkings.

This is now. This is how I think. This is what I feel about graphic slash. I don't like it, I would love if it could be censored to the point where people under age cant get at, but it can't.
ZukoAlone
Idiot
ZukoAlone
October 27th, 2009 at 08:42pm
(because my brain is kinda shut off)
QUESTION: When the topic of sex is involved why do people take it so seriously?
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
October 27th, 2009 at 09:21pm
^
increase in underage pregnancy
STD's
Exposure
Immaturity
occultculture
Banned
occultculture

Blog
October 27th, 2009 at 09:32pm
Slash Fiction = Twilight.

/thread.
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
October 28th, 2009 at 04:59am
occultculture:

/thread.

.. How exactly does this work, then?

All slash fiction is incredibly shit, or Twilight is incredibly gay?
ZukoAlone
Idiot
ZukoAlone
October 28th, 2009 at 07:30pm
Is slash fanfiction an unnatural way to discover sex or is it another evolution of the ways we discover sex?
occultculture
Banned
occultculture

Blog
October 28th, 2009 at 07:54pm
Peardrops:
occultculture:

/thread.

Both, and the fact that teen girls love Twilight because it's written in the way of slash fiction.
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
October 28th, 2009 at 08:32pm
occultculture:
Peardrops:
occultculture:

/thread.

Both, and the fact that teen girls love Twilight because it's written in the way of slash fiction.

Well. I don't see how you can lump every piece of slash fiction into a single category, considering there's so much of a variety of it. But I do like the analogy.
occultculture
Banned
occultculture

Blog
October 28th, 2009 at 08:37pm
Peardrops:
occultculture:
Peardrops:
occultculture:

/thread.

Well. I don't see how you can lump every piece of slash fiction into a single category, considering there's so much of a variety of it. But I do like the analogy.

Why thank you, but I do it in the spirit of society lumping all of us piercing/mohawk/tattoo sporting individuals as bad kids.
steph.
Banned
steph.

Blog
October 28th, 2009 at 08:58pm
but there aint gays in twilight
occultculture
Banned
occultculture

Blog
October 28th, 2009 at 09:07pm
gay:

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong.
stilinski
King For A Couple Of Days
stilinski

Blog
October 28th, 2009 at 10:30pm
occultculture:
Peardrops:
occultculture:

/thread.

I had that feeling when I tried reading the first chapter. Although I didn't necessarily think *slash*fiction, I thought "bad fanfiction". All the same.
occultculture
Banned
occultculture

Blog
October 28th, 2009 at 10:33pm
mcdean:
occultculture:
Peardrops:
occultculture:

/thread.

I had that feeling when I tried reading the first chapter. Although I didn't necessarily think *slash*fiction, I thought "bad fanfiction". All the same.

Yeh, they're like fraternal twins.
steph.
Banned
steph.

Blog
October 28th, 2009 at 10:54pm
occultculture:
gay:

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong.
but

there