Forced Religion

AuthorMessage
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
December 9th, 2008 at 11:49pm
It's probably happened to most of us. You were raised to be of a certain religion or belief. you were taught to believe in a god, follow this, or that. if you didn't do this, well, then, you were gonna be spanked.

do you think it's right to do this?
as an atheist, I find religion to be blind. So I find it wrong for your parents to slap a label on you a a Christian/Muslim/Jew, especially when it is a false and blind belief.

and I have questions for people who do have a religion

1. Were you brought up to follow this religion?
2. Were your parents strict about it, or did they not mind you believing something else?
3. Have you ever questioned your religion?
4. Have you ever thought of becoming a part of a different religion, or even no religion at all?
5. Do you feel that what your parents did was right?

Honestly it pisses me off that my parents raised me Christian.
icegirl.
Jackass
icegirl.

Blog
December 10th, 2008 at 01:30am
I'm an athieist and alot of my friends who are muslim, catholic, christian, etc. had it forced upon them by their parents but actually don't believe it. I also kind of think you shouldn't baptise(sp?) a baby as they might want to be a different religion when they're older and that it is their own decision not the parents. My mum let me choose my own religion Smile
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
December 10th, 2008 at 11:09am
I do feel thatif you were brought up a certain way that you get used to it and think it is right.

I went to some christian pre school... my parents made me go to church on sunday [and I hated it, haha.. wonder why...] and I was singing christian songs. yet. I had no idea what the fuck i was singing about. I was born, and my parents are christian, so they said 'you're christian too.'

particularly 'forced' on you, no, but the fact that they wanted you to have a certain belief system, they raised you to think like this, Dawins considers it a form of child abuse. He is a bit right.
paper shoes
This Board Is My Home
paper shoes
December 10th, 2008 at 12:16pm
Yeah, I think it's disgusting. Everyone should have the right to choose if they want to believe in something.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
December 10th, 2008 at 02:17pm
just because your parents are your parents, it doesn't give them a right to beat you, or sexually harass you. it doesn't give them the right to starve you, or trap you in a room all day. Putting religion on a child like this [imo] is starving them of the truth, and locking them inside a room, and this room is the only way they percieve the world.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
December 10th, 2008 at 02:20pm
just because your parents are your parents, it doesn't give them a right to beat you, or sexually harass you. it doesn't give them the right to starve you, or trap you in a room all day. Putting religion on a child like this [imo] is starving them of the truth, and locking them inside a room, and this room is the only way they percieve the world.

you can most definatley have morals without religion. some followers dont do the 'bad' [or sometimes, actually BAD] things just because their religion tells them to. religion did not invent morals. I only said that because get famous said that their parents taught them the religions morals.

Religion should not be an exscuse to teach morals. [not saying you said that. just a point.]
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
December 10th, 2008 at 05:36pm
Idk if i count, because I'm atheist as well..

1. Were you brought up to follow this religion? My dad is an atheist and my mum.. idk, but I think she's atheist as well. They never forced anything on me. I was baptized in a Protestant church as most Danish children are, and since I wasn't sure if I was religious or not, I was confirmated (idk if that's a real word in English, it means to confirm your belief in Christianity. Most 13-14 yearolds do it because it's a rite of passage and you get presents and a party) but decided that I never really believed in it
2. Were your parents strict about it, or did they not mind you believing something else? As before, my parents have never forced any religion or something like that onto me. They've raised me somewhat Christian though, not under that definition, but with alot of the values from Christianity. When I got baptized, I got a childrens Bible and when I had learned to read, I read it myself. My parents never said I shouldn't or that I should, but they were impressed that I took the initiative to read it myself
3. Have you ever questioned your religion? Yeah, when I was 13, my class started to get lessons before confirming our belief in Christianity. I was told by my parents that if I didn't want to go to church and say I believed in something I never really cared about, I was free to, but I felt I had a bit of faith, so I did it. Later, I knew with myself that really, it doesn't mean anything. I thought it was fine that I did it then, because I did think i believed at the time, but I wouldn't have done it again if I had the choice.
4. Have you ever thought of becoming a part of a different religion, or even no religion at all? I'm atheist, and I do believe it's because of my parents. I was never told that any religion was right or wrong so I just accept that some believe, some don't and whatever really.
5. Do you feel that what your parents did was right? Yes. I was never limited in beliefs. But at the same time, i wasn't really told about religion..
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
December 11th, 2008 at 03:20pm
Bleach:
I do feel thatif you were brought up a certain way that you get used to it and think it is right.

I went to some christian pre school... my parents made me go to church on sunday [and I hated it, haha.. wonder why...] and I was singing christian songs. yet. I had no idea what the fuck i was singing about. I was born, and my parents are christian, so they said 'you're christian too.'

particularly 'forced' on you, no, but the fact that they wanted you to have a certain belief system, they raised you to think like this, Dawins considers it a form of child abuse. He is a bit right.

Child abuse my crack! It is not.

Part of life is learning about religion. Your parents were brought up a certain way, they continud to believe in that religion and they brought you up like that. You made the choice to change as do many others.

If you weren't brought up with one religion, it would have been difficult to understand any religion. It's called learning. And from learning you make decissions that suit you.

I don't know why people fuss about religion when they've changed their beliefs to suit themselves.

1.Were you brought up to follow this religion?
2. Were your parents strict about it, or did they not mind you believing something else?
3. Have you ever questioned your religion?
4. Have you ever thought of becoming a part of a different religion, or even no religion at all?
5. Do you feel that what your parents did was right?

1. Catholic - Yes
2. They were strict when I was younger. They did not mind me believeing something else.
3. Yes. All the time.
4. No.
5. Yes. What's so wrong about bringing a child up with one religion.
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
December 11th, 2008 at 03:26pm
get famous:
i don't think there is anything wrong with it. it's completely up to the parents on how they raise their child, and if they want to raise them religiously, then they have every right to. i think its perfectly acceptable to raise your child in a religious home as long as you don't hold them back if they'd like to go out on their own and find something else they may like better.

1. Were you brought up to follow this religion? i was but i was given space to find something else more to my liking.

2. Were your parents strict about it, or did they not mind you believing something else? my mom wasn't strict about it, but she did try to instill a lot of the morals in me.

3. Have you ever questioned your religion? i have. i haven't questioned the base of it, but i do question a lot of the teaching.

4. Have you ever thought of becoming a part of a different religion, or even no religion at all? of course i've tried to conver to other things, but i haven't found any to my liking.

5. Do you feel that what your parents did was right? i feel that it was neither wrong or right. it was up to my mother how to raise me since i am her child, and she made her choice. she never forced religion on me, and let me try to find my own path.

I completley agree.
Weasil
Falling In Love With The Board
Weasil
December 11th, 2008 at 05:47pm
1. I don't know what "this" specifies, but I wasn't grown up in any religion.
2. They were never strict in beliefs as long as it didn't involve harming others, but I do think they're slightly prejudice towards Christianity.
3. None to question, but I did question Buddhism before I decided it was for me.
4. I grew up doing the second, settled with the first.
5. I feel extremely lucky to have not been brought up in any specific religion, because it gave me a very unbiased perspective on the world. I don't rebuke growing children up in a religion, but I definately don't encourage it.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
December 11th, 2008 at 06:46pm
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu7NEnw1B8g
you can skip the story and start at 1:45...
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
December 11th, 2008 at 07:01pm
The Government:
Bleach:

Part of life is learning about religion. Your parents were brought up a certain way, they continud to believe in that religion and they brought you up like that. You made the choice to change as do many others.

If you weren't brought up with one religion, it would have been difficult to understand any religion. It's called learning. And from learning you make decissions that suit you.

I don't know why people fuss about religion when they've changed their beliefs to suit themselves.
It's a form of mental abuse, if you want a child to think a certain way. If somebody come up to you and tells you to think a certain way, and tries to force it on you, is that okay?

OBVIOUSLY you should learn about religion. but that does NOT involve being in a religion. What on earth are you talking about? Confused I'm an atheist, I don't like religion, I have no desire to be in one, yet I find the subject of religion an interesting thing.

Being brought up in a certain way will most likely give you a biased opinion, like that other person said. Trust me, it happened to me.
and some people don't even question it. To live your life believing in the toothfairy, and having your parents raise you like that, is beyond me.
Miley Cyrus
Basket Case
Miley Cyrus

Blog
December 12th, 2008 at 12:08am
everyone in my family is an atheist besides me
they got me baptized because they wanted to give me the choice to believe whatever when i was older and we went to church like once a month but i didn't used to like it. so we stopped going for lke two years and then i wanted to go back and nobody else in my family did, but well, yeah. i'm a christian.
icegirl.
Jackass
icegirl.

Blog
December 12th, 2008 at 02:20am
get famous:
Bleach:
The Government:
Bleach:

It's a form of mental abuse, if you want a child to think a certain way. If somebody come up to you and tells you to think a certain way, and tries to force it on you, is that okay?

OBVIOUSLY you should learn about religion. but that does NOT involve being in a religion. What on earth are you talking about? Confused I'm an atheist, I don't like religion, I have no desire to be in one, yet I find the subject of religion an interesting thing.

Being brought up in a certain way will most likely give you a biased opinion, like that other person said. Trust me, it happened to me.
and some people don't even question it. To live your life believing in the toothfairy, and having your parents raise you like that, is beyond me.

i freely admit that if you force a religion upon a child without giving them space to learn, that is mental abuse. but if you're raised in a religious home with a healthy enviroment and the freedom to learn of others, how is this mental abuse?

Forced Religion.

forced -
–adjective 1. enforced or compulsory: forced labor.

Forced meaning it is compulsory meaning that the people it is forced on can't make their own choices in what they believe in when they are younger as it won't be accepted within the family and it would not be supported. It can also result in discrimination.

Of course, you need to learn about religion as it is a major part of society but I really don't think you should be brought up in a religion if you do not wish for that. In Australia, it is mainly a Christian society so we all celebrate Christmas, Easter, etc. People who do not have a religion - like me participate in those things because, well who wouldn't want to ? But, if you are being forced to think and believe in a religion it's a different story. We should be able to think how we like and be supported in that and not have to deal with disrimination.
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
December 12th, 2008 at 03:44am
OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here and put my feelings out for you to rip at.

Being brough tup in a religion is mental abuse. ?

Your 7 years old, for God sake. Some kids can't tie their shoe laces at 7, never mind say even understand religon.

As you get older and reach adult hood, you make your own choices.
Woodrow Derenberger
Woodrow Derenberger
December 12th, 2008 at 03:54am
The Government:
OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here and put my feelings out for you to rip at.

Your 7 years old, for God sake. Some kids can't tie their shoe laces at 7, never mind say even understand religon.

I agree with you. Its a parents job to make choices for their child. That usually includes choosing a religion for them. I do think, however, forcing them to take part in the religion after they're old enough to make choices about religion (10 or 12 or so), is wrong.

I had my daughter baptised Catholic right away. Will I make her follow it when shes old enough to choose? no.

and the being brought up in a religion is abuse thing is bullshit. though everything is ~child abuse~ nowadays. =\
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 12th, 2008 at 02:38pm
I was brought up Catholic. I have no objections. My parents aren't themselves religious, so I have absolutely no ill feeling about being given a religion, because it was easy enough to give up.

I think a lot of people here are being unnecessarily negative. I mean, forced religon? It's not such a major thing, is it? People can still make choices provided that they've actually got a brain, regardless of what environment they were brought up in. So in a sense it's irrelevant, people will believe what they want when they are old enough. I'm not going to say that people should bring up their kids a certain way, I don't think I really have the right.
icegirl.
Jackass
icegirl.

Blog
December 12th, 2008 at 04:48pm
The Government:

No, I don't think it's 'mental abuse' either I think thats going a little too far...

When I was 7 I didn't really understand it but I did think it didn't make much sense. I never believed in the Tooth Fairy, Santa Clause or any religion. Thats why it is important to educate kids about religion so they know what they are practicing if they are brought up in a religion. If they wish to be a part of a religion they can usually determine that around 10-12 years old depending on the maturity level....

I don't think people are getting that the religion is being forced on them so they have to think that way and practice the religion. It happens not just with Christians and Catholics and the branches of that but Muslims, Buddhists, etc. too. Just as long the kid is not being forced to think that way if they don't want to I'm fine with it Hand
icegirl.
Jackass
icegirl.

Blog
December 12th, 2008 at 05:01pm
get famous:
Chemical Heart:
Forced Religion.

forced -
–adjective 1. enforced or compulsory: forced labor.

Forced meaning it is compulsory meaning that the people it is forced on can't make their own choices in what they believe in when they are younger as it won't be accepted within the family and it would not be supported. It can also result in discrimination.

Good, thats fine bringing kids up in a religion but forced meaning that they can't convert to a different religion if they wanted too. I'm not saying they can't but they won't be supported and accepted and what not. Letting them convert to another religion if the kid wants to do that I'm fine with.

In some less fortunate countries you are forced to believe in a certain religion and practice and if you don't they can go as far as killing you, which is just downright stupid in my opinion. Thats what I was aiming towards with the whole forced thing being that it is compulsory and you're not able to convert if you wish without being abused.

Of course, you need to learn about religion as it is a major part of society but I really don't think you should be brought up in a religion if you do not wish for that. In Australia, it is mainly a Christian society so we all celebrate Christmas, Easter, etc. People who do not have a religion - like me participate in those things because, well who wouldn't want to ? But, if you are being forced to think and believe in a religion it's a different story. We should be able to think how we like and be supported in that and not have to deal with disrimination.

this didn't answer my question. children can't make their own decisions on a lot of things. if they did, they'd be in poor health of mind and body. that is why parents make their decisions until the child comes of age and can think for themselves. as i said, i think it's perfectly acceptable to raise a child in religion when they're young as long as they're given space when they're older. i'm certainly going to raise my kids (when i have them.) with my catholic religion, but if they were to become interested in converting to another religion, i certainly wouldn't try to stop them.

Good, I'm fine with people bringing up their kids in a reigion it's just that some people don't let their kids convert if they wish. In some less fortunate countries it is compulsory to practice a certain religion and if you don't they can go as far as killing you, which is just downright horrible. Thats where I was going at with the whole forced thing.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
December 13th, 2008 at 11:31pm
The Government:

yes, exactly. why should you make/want your child to believe something if they have no idea what it is...

but I think you're on the other side of the argument.
Register