The Legal Drinking Age

AuthorMessage
Dana.
This Board Is My Home
Dana.

Blog
January 20th, 2011 at 08:29pm
My brother is a recovering alcoholic and I am very proud of him, but that's not going to keep me from drinking in small doses.
I don't drink hard alcohol.
I drink wine and Prosecco once in a while.
Squid.
King For A Couple Of Days
Squid.

Blog
June 4th, 2011 at 04:31pm
Just a thought that hit me now.

If they were to lower the drinking age, I deff. think that the age you can drive should go up.
I think it would make more sense.

Because say it's lowered to 16, now you're letting kids drink and drive all at once.
I think that would end terrible, and so yeah.

I think that is a better argument then the one that I really didn't have before.

GOD.
How much you mature and start to think with more commen sense in just a few months, but yeah.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
June 4th, 2011 at 05:24pm
kids here can purchase alcohol at 16, legally, up to 16,5% vol.. everything above, you have to be 18.
Here, you can start taking driving lessons at 17 years, 9 months, because classes take about 3 months to complete, so you can drive at 18 if all goes well..
i think that makes a lot of sense, y'know, as Squid said, so kids can sort of get it out of their system or learn how to get home and how much they can handle before being able to drive. I mean it's not even a question, if they can drive home after a party, because it's a given. I think it means more responsibility Dno
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
June 4th, 2011 at 06:33pm
kids drink at 14,15, 16 anyways i don't think it'll make much difference
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
June 4th, 2011 at 08:56pm
But they can get a licens at 16 here too. So I think that if they get one they should lose the other. Yeah they already drink anyway, and that's a lot more easy (a lot more easy? lol) to get away with.

To take the licens up to 18 I think would be a lot better.
You know?
They can't as easy get away with driving illegal, especialy if they're drunk.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
June 4th, 2011 at 09:01pm
yeah you can get a license at 16 here too, but i think kids are more irresponsible when they drink when they are not allowed to compared to when they are allowed.

but the fact of the matter is, people will always drink and drive no matter what age. it's all about the persons personality and if they are not stupid.
Mareh
Mareh

Blog
June 4th, 2011 at 10:14pm
I don't think the drinking age should be lowered or raised, but I think that penalties for being caught drinking while underage should be raised. I've studied the laws regarding underage drinking for here in Australia and there's no real serious penalties for drinking underage in public other than fines. Some jail time would stop repeat offenders.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
June 4th, 2011 at 10:20pm
yeah i agree with the fact that the drinking age should stay the same. you can be arrested here for under aged drinking though.
Mareh
Mareh

Blog
June 4th, 2011 at 10:21pm
BELLY JO.:
yeah i agree with the fact that the drinking age should stay the same. you can be arrested here for under aged drinking though.
Isn't it just a chucked in jail overnight thing though?
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
June 4th, 2011 at 10:38pm
most likely, that's enough to scare the shit outta most underage drinkers though
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
June 4th, 2011 at 10:38pm
i know that when i was 14 if i was arrested i would have been so fucking scared and my parents would have fucking killed me
Mareh
Mareh

Blog
June 4th, 2011 at 11:19pm
Lol yeah but a lot of 14 year old kids these days wont care.
Squid.
Squid.

Blog
June 5th, 2011 at 11:35am
^ Exactly, it's like, "Eh, that wasn't bad at all, could have been worse"
And then they go off and do it again.
It's a thrill to go against the law and not get caught.
MAD CUNT
Basket Case
MAD CUNT

Blog
June 5th, 2011 at 12:03pm
I don't see the problem with underage drinking as long as you're not causing a nuisance to others or yourself. you only get arrested for drinking here really if you're drunk and disorderly - if kids are drinking underage it's the person that supplied alcohol to them that gets in trouble. Not parents, but shopkeepers and barmen. They can get their licenses revoked if they've been supplying underage kids with alcohol etc.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
June 5th, 2011 at 02:28pm
i still think kids these days would be scared if they went to jail. and to what jen said, its like that here or say if you are drinking at someone's house the adult that lives there gets in trouble even if they were not there. kids are always going to do stupid shit even if the age changes. i don't think it will make a difference
Mareh
Mareh

Blog
June 5th, 2011 at 05:14pm
bangmebanderson:
I don't see the problem with underage drinking as long as you're not causing a nuisance to others or yourself. you only get arrested for drinking here really if you're drunk and disorderly - if kids are drinking underage it's the person that supplied alcohol to them that gets in trouble. Not parents, but shopkeepers and barmen. They can get their licenses revoked if they've been supplying underage kids with alcohol etc.
It's basically the same here, however, here kids are allowed to drink in their own houses as long as their legal adult supervisor's are aware that their kid is drinking. So you can throw a party for your 16 year old and their friends, and go out and by alcohol for them, as long as all their parents are aware, and you remain at your house the whole time.
wanderlust
Addict
wanderlust

Mibba Blog
June 6th, 2011 at 02:30pm
Personally I think 18 is the best drinking age, to me it makes the most sense. That's what it is here, but I'm being unbiased, I just don't think it makes sense to have it OLDER, like that's ridiculous. You're a legal adult at age 18, you have all sorts of new responsibilities, you have to pay tax, etc, you should be entitled to buy alcohol.

But like, in the UK there are certain conditions under which you can drink at age 16, am I right? I don't think thats necessarily a bad thing, kids start drinking much younger anyways.
MAD CUNT
Basket Case
MAD CUNT

Blog
June 6th, 2011 at 04:55pm
Yeah, you're allowed to drink at 16 with a meal if you have an adult with you, but you're not allowed spirits.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
June 7th, 2011 at 05:57am
Sam Roberts:
Personally I think 18 is the best drinking age, to me it makes the most sense. That's what it is here, but I'm being unbiased, I just don't think it makes sense to have it OLDER, like that's ridiculous. You're a legal adult at age 18, you have all sorts of new responsibilities, you have to pay tax, etc, you should be entitled to buy alcohol.

But like, in the UK there are certain conditions under which you can drink at age 16, am I right? I don't think thats necessarily a bad thing, kids start drinking much younger anyways.
I completely agree with the first statement. If you are allowed to be married, own a house, loan money from a bank, pay taxes, then I think youre old enough to drink alcohol.. Dno
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
June 12th, 2011 at 04:27pm
I agree with the statement that the driving age should go up when the drinking age goes down. But it wouldn't matter when it comes to drinking, because kids can get older people to buy them alcohol and they've drunk, drink and will continue to drink it. It's a bit ironic that people over 30 or 40 have more trouble, sometimes, handling their booze yet there are loads of teenagers who know what and why they are doing and don't develop problems. However.. i think alcohol is a greater threat to mankind than tobacco or weak drugs such as weed. (Actually, a test stated that out of alcohol, tobacco and weed the last is least dangerous for you).
Register