Harsh sentencings, for petty crimes.

AuthorMessage
folkin' around.
King For A Couple Of Days
folkin' around.
September 26th, 2005 at 04:07pm
Now, I was reading Reader's Digest [don't ask Embarassed ]
And it had this article on people who get harsh sentecing for petty crimes.

For example, Leandro Andrade (California), 37, was sentenced 50 years to life for stealing $153.54 worth or videos from a K-Mart in 1990.

The government does this so people would stop commiting crimes.

Another man (29 years old) was sentenced life for stealing $337 from an expresso stand.

There are many more out there..I'm not gonna name them all..but I think it's unfair to the people who were sentenced so long.

Of course I wouldn't dare commit a crime like those if I knew the sentencing. So I guess it's working.

So what do you all think?
darkmagick1002
Geek
darkmagick1002
September 26th, 2005 at 04:12pm
i agree with you. they are good people (in some sort of weird way......i think) some may even have family i think they should get a lesser punishment because they got caught making one mistake......maybe if they did it more than like 3 times sure they didn't learn their lesson but on their first time maybe they could get 2 or 3 years but not 50 to life.

On another note Winona Ryder got probation and community service for stealing merchandise over $100. Don't you love our country being controlled by money.
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
September 26th, 2005 at 04:16pm
you can't get more than five years in jail unless you commit grand theft ($3,000+) in schools it's $300+ but that's punishable by expulsion
folkin' around.
folkin' around.
September 26th, 2005 at 04:23pm
it's just what i read in the magizine.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
September 26th, 2005 at 04:30pm
hobo with a box:
it's just what i read in the magizine.
still...the judge should be charged with cruel and unusual punishment
folkin' around.
folkin' around.
September 26th, 2005 at 04:33pm
true
mikeluvva
Geek
mikeluvva
September 26th, 2005 at 06:15pm
i got an asbo for fighting in the street once and it stayed for 3 years and i was the worse off.the dick broke my jaw
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
September 26th, 2005 at 06:23pm
hobo with a box:

For example, Leandro Andrade (California), 37, was sentenced 50 years to life for stealing $153.54 worth or videos from a K-Mart in 1990.

Another man (29 years old) was sentenced life for stealing $337 from an expresso stand.

There are many more out there..I'm not gonna name them all..but I think it's unfair to the people who were sentenced so long.

Of course I wouldn't dare commit a crime like those if I knew the sentencing. So I guess it's working.

I would guess they made parole after two years.

It happens or the time a judge will give a harsh sentence and it's printed in every newspaper, but it's never withheld, but nobody knows this, so it gives the idea that petty crime is getting harsher sentences but their really not.
Spirit Of '77
Spirit Of '77
September 26th, 2005 at 09:20pm
hobo with a box:

that's fucking rediculous...
Goodbye, Norma Jeane
Goodbye, Norma Jeane
September 27th, 2005 at 12:44am
xAnarchy4theUSAx:
hobo with a box:

that's fucking rediculous...
Elvis Impersonator
Idiot
Elvis Impersonator
September 27th, 2005 at 04:59am
any sort of theft is wrong, so as long as the sentence is shorter than say, rape or muder, i couldnt care less how long they get...
carrot
Idiot
carrot
September 30th, 2005 at 09:22am
when i read this topic..and you were talkin bout the first "crime"....i was expecting she was going down for manslaughter...not a stealin.....

im suprised
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
October 15th, 2005 at 06:12pm
that ridiculus {sp?}
yeah maybe ifits their 3rd or 4th offence but not their first

Ex. Boy George's possible sentence and the guy who almost killed his daughter by overdose
damn*skippy
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
damn*skippy

Blog
August 27th, 2006 at 07:08pm
i think it would work. forgive the exageration but if you knew the penality for stealing was getting you hand cut off, you wouldnt steal would you? if you knew the penelty for rape or murder was death you wouldnt do that either. i think i remember hearing about a country where thats really how they do things, and their crime rate is like 2% or something. makes sense.
robotchicken.
robotchicken.

Mibba
August 27th, 2006 at 09:48pm
Okay thats just cruel.
I mean I wouldnt steal a stick of gum if I knew I was getting 50 years o_o [exaggeration]
But that punishment is unfair that person stole that true but....a child molester would prolly only get 7 years O_O and thats what scares me.....
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
August 28th, 2006 at 02:35am
where i live its gone completely the other way. here theyre saying you shouldnt go to jail at all for stealing, which is pathetic really. its coz the prisons are overcrowded or something, i dunno.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 28th, 2006 at 08:27am
The punishment needs to be designed to suit the crime. I noticed people saying it would work, but does it really? Think about it. What if a person were to steal something, not even 100$ in value. If we believed in Harsh punishments, that person wouldnt recieve what they deserved. You can't just make it a threat. If you say the punishment for stealing gum is death, you have to stand by it, and I doubt anyone in here actually supports that. What the majority of people support is the threat factor, and that doesnt work. Threats are pointless unless you hold true to them.
tomamazon
GSBitch
tomamazon

Mibba Blog
August 28th, 2006 at 10:28am
In England, there are criminals being jailed for theft, yet there's people that have killed a child and are roaming. It disgusts me.
damn*skippy
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
damn*skippy

Blog
August 28th, 2006 at 05:00pm
im at all talking about threats. I think goverments should set a harsher punishments for crimes and stick to them. maybe not the extent we were talking about, but definitly worse that it is now.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
August 28th, 2006 at 05:30pm
damn*skippy:
im at all talking about threats. I think goverments should set a harsher punishments for crimes and stick to them. maybe not the extent we were talking about, but definitly worse that it is now.

But thats unfair, why should your punishment be harsher than what you earned? Thats unfair and overbearing and the government shuoldnt do that, in the united states cruel and Unusal punishment is illegal.
Register