Nuclear power

AuthorMessage
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
December 1st, 2005 at 12:27pm
I would say that i'm pro wind farms. To me, I think its a 'need must', and if that means we have our skylines cluttered up with a few windfarms to save the entire earth then who can argue?. People who huff and puff over having ares of beauty spoilt need to take a look at the bigger picture.
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
December 1st, 2005 at 01:22pm
there is going to come a time when nuclear power will be here and all this debating and protesting will be for nothing, we are using more power now than we were 10 years ago, and that power has to com from somewhere.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
December 1st, 2005 at 07:11pm
Yeah, WE'RE using more power...for the record, the rest of the world is not...

The thing is, we will never give up on oil until there's no more left. Why? The oil lobbyists are the most powerful people in Washington.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
December 1st, 2005 at 07:19pm
Renewable energy is still unpredictable, i think we're moving in the right direction which just not doing it fast enough.

Nuclear power is unstable and can lead to catostrophic events but we our running out of options. Fossil fules will eventually burn up, but it won't be our parents genreation who will ahve to deal with it, it will be us.

The energy savior for us will be fusion, unfortunately for no it can't be harnessed, but when it can, woo yeah party in the hot tub.
dirtyhippie
Geek
dirtyhippie
December 1st, 2005 at 07:24pm
I used to live in a house run completely on wind and solar power. Only bad thing about it was having to clear the snow of the solar panels in winter.
Spiral Out..Keep Going..
Jackass
Spiral Out..Keep Going..
December 2nd, 2005 at 04:31pm
NeoSteph:
Renewable energy is still unpredictable, i think we're moving in the right direction which just not doing it fast enough.

Nuclear power is unstable and can lead to catostrophic events but we our running out of options. Fossil fules will eventually burn up, but it won't be our parents genreation who will ahve to deal with it, it will be us.

The energy savior for us will be fusion, unfortunately for no it can't be harnessed, but when it can, woo yeah party in the hot tub.

Nuclear fusion is amazing.
It requires temperatures of 60 MILLION degrees C.
This has been reached for 1/10 of a second but then the lab equipment was destroyed (obviously).
If it can ever be harnessed one CUP of water will release as much energy as a TONNE of petrol.
Drops of Jupiter
Idiot
Drops of Jupiter
December 3rd, 2005 at 06:56am
|| Flirt With The UHF ||:
NeoSteph:

Nuclear fusion is amazing.
It requires temperatures of 60 MILLION degrees C.
This has been reached for 1/10 of a second but then the lab equipment was destroyed (obviously).
If it can ever be harnessed one CUP of water will release as much energy as a TONNE of petrol.
Yes, it's an amazing thing, fusing together protons to make a completly different element. And if we could actually do it all the time it would produce enough power to supply our needs, the only thing is, getting the energy to reach the extremly high temperatures that are required, and that means temperatures you get in the Sun, as that is where fusion takes place all the time, converting Hydrogen to Helium. The energy required is enourmas, and at the moment we can't produce enough of it to get what we need. The only other option to go forward with this, and scientists are looking at doing this now, is finding a catalyst or some sort of way to lower the reacting temperature of fusion. It will have to be one hell of a catalyst though, to achieve that.
Fely
Basket Case
Fely
December 3rd, 2005 at 06:08pm
well we have a nuclear plant near where i live......so yeah.i'm not sure about nuclear power.my sports centre is run by wind power.we have i think 2 or 3 turbines behind our house and the street.they are really ugly but work really well so i'm all for that cause where i live i guess it is quite windy. Smile
GangControl
Jackass
GangControl
December 4th, 2005 at 11:56am
tre_cool_is_god:
there is going to come a time when nuclear power will be here and all this debating and protesting will be for nothing, we are using more power now than we were 10 years ago, and that power has to com from somewhere.

Excuse me?

"All this debating and protesting will be for nothing"?

Fuck off with that.

It probably will happen, but protesting is never for nothing.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
December 4th, 2005 at 02:16pm
GangControl:
tre_cool_is_god:

Excuse me?

Fuck off with that.

the goverment will do whatever they want and nobody will be able to stop them. That is all i meant from the statement.

where will the power we need come from? we cant relie on oil. and we cant relie on these wind farms.
Kitti
Falling In Love With The Board
Kitti
December 4th, 2005 at 03:00pm
tre_cool_is_god:
GangControl:
tre_cool_is_god:

Excuse me?

Fuck off with that.

the goverment will do whatever they want and nobody will be able to stop them. That is all i meant from the statement.

where will the power we need come from? we cant relie on oil. and we cant relie on these wind farms.

why the hell CANT we rely on wind farms? people can bitch about them all they want, but wind will still blow when everything else is gone.
i have to say, thinking that something is ugly is one HELL of a bad reason to not consider it as a viable option. SO until all these people who dont like windmills "because theyre ugly" come up with a better reason to be opposed to them, im thinking that i support them 100%. seriously, don quixote's thought that they were giants was a better reason to attack them.
Lucifers Angel
Lucifers Angel
December 4th, 2005 at 04:27pm
paradoxical:
tre_cool_is_god:
GangControl:
tre_cool_is_god:

Excuse me?

Fuck off with that.

why the hell CANT we rely on wind farms? people can bitch about them all they want, but wind will still blow when everything else is gone.
i have to say, thinking that something is ugly is one HELL of a bad reason to not consider it as a viable option. SO until all these people who dont like windmills "because theyre ugly" come up with a better reason to be opposed to them, im thinking that i support them 100%. seriously, don quixote's thought that they were giants was a better reason to attack them.

i dont think they're ugly, i just think that they are not a sutable power resorce.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
December 4th, 2005 at 04:52pm
paradoxical:
tre_cool_is_god:
GangControl:
tre_cool_is_god:

Excuse me?

Fuck off with that.

wind farms are unreliable they cost millions to build and make very little energy.

Tidal energy resource is a much safer option but only in certain areas.
GangControl
Jackass
GangControl
December 5th, 2005 at 09:40am
Hydroelectric?

But then again... we might spoil the Lake District. Whoops.
Spiral Out..Keep Going..
Jackass
Spiral Out..Keep Going..
December 5th, 2005 at 01:42pm
Wind power - Unreliable, only suitable in some areas, VERY low power output, expensive to build turbines

Solar power - Only works for a few hours each day, expensive to create panels, low power output.

Tidal power - Expensive, can block shipping routes

Hydro-electric Power - interferes with natural water course and can cause problems such as flooding or drought, VERY expensive to build

Geothermal Power - Only found in a FEW places, low power output

Nuclear power - harmful waste, expensive to build power stations BUT MAJORLY HIGH POWER OUTPUT
Kitti
Falling In Love With The Board
Kitti
December 5th, 2005 at 04:33pm
the thing about wind turbines is that there are ways to make them more effective. in the same way that airplanes evovled from biplanes to commercial jets, turbines can be engineered to generate more power. aerodynamics, man.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
December 5th, 2005 at 05:16pm
paradoxical:
the thing about wind turbines is that there are ways to make them more effective. in the same way that airplanes evovled from biplanes to commercial jets, turbines can be engineered to generate more power. aerodynamics, man.

but we're not at a stage where they reliable, and we're in a crisis NOW, we need a solution and Nuclear will end up being the most effective route to take. I disagree with it with every ounce of my being, but no other option will come forward, apart from fusion, whatever scientist finds a way to entrap cold-fusion i will kiss his or hers feet.
Music to my ears
Idiot
Music to my ears
October 11th, 2006 at 06:52am
Nuclear energy is so cost effective yet it can be very dangerous the outcomes can be defistating like what happened in that place in Russia because of this energy that place is now a ghost town!
Uncle Fester
Idiot
Uncle Fester
October 11th, 2006 at 09:33am
you mean cherinbol or summit

yeah its good but look at the waste and all
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
October 11th, 2006 at 10:17am
Spiral Out..Keep Going..:
Wind power - Unreliable, only suitable in some areas, VERY low power output, expensive to build turbines

Solar power - Only works for a few hours each day, expensive to create panels, low power output.

Tidal power - Expensive, can block shipping routes

Hydro-electric Power - interferes with natural water course and can cause problems such as flooding or drought, VERY expensive to build

Geothermal Power - Only found in a FEW places, low power output

Nuclear power - harmful waste, expensive to build power stations BUT MAJORLY HIGH POWER OUTPUT
Actually most of them are reliable if they are built in the right location. And solar power actually works for about 18 hours a day (At the least, depending on where you live) and stores it's energy in the cell. And they do have quite a high output of energy as well. Of course nuclear has the highest, but still, we could survive on just the others.

One thing you're forgetting is that once these reusable energy sources have been built, most of them are completely free after, only having to pay a minimal afterwards for check ups are repairs. And nuclear is only beneficial for big, big cities anyway. Small towns, and remote villages don't need electricity from nuclear power stations. They should be self efficient and make their own electricity using the sources you listed.
Register