Tv programmes.

AuthorMessage
Big momma
Geek
Big momma
January 19th, 2006 at 12:35pm
Please tell me if thread has already been done but what do people think about the violance on tv? Do you think that it encourages young ones to be violant? I used to work in a Nursery and we did an experienment and some the children did react to the violance but what does every one think?
11th Street Kid
King For A Couple Of Days
11th Street Kid
January 19th, 2006 at 02:14pm
I think some 'chavs' do... because they're stupid like that and they try to be all cool and 'badass'..

Some people copy this happy slapping thing that's been going around...

But apart from that.. I don't really think many people do.
redc
Jackass
redc
January 19th, 2006 at 04:41pm
That brings up the age old arguement of environment vs. influencers. Is it the child's environment that shapes who he or she becomes or is the influencers?

And the arguement of the cycle of abuse - abuse begets abuse - a child sees the father beating the mother, will that child been beaten or be the beater?

Personally I think it's the environment, what type of upbringing has the child had. It's far to simple to 'blame' television for the violence today and the same should be said for video games. People tend to want to point the finger at someone or something else before pointing at themselves.

Parents never want to blame themselves for how their children behave (especially when it's bad behaviour) - but really it's the parental guidence (or lack thereof) that dictate's a child's behaviour. Remember behaviour is learned, we aren't born with the knowledge of how to behave.

So do I think TV encourages children to be violent, not so much, it may encourage them to "act" out or to wrestle with a sibling or two - but it's the parental input that will either nip it in the bud or let the violent behaviour continue.
Big momma
Geek
Big momma
January 19th, 2006 at 05:11pm
AAhh yes. Thank you. Tru of course, It's how the parents bring up the children. They do what they know...
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
January 19th, 2006 at 05:25pm
Though sometimes, the children just won't respond to parents at all. Sometimes...it's just impossible. Parents try to be nice and let the kid have freedom... the kid could end up sleeping around... parents could try being strict...it could make the kid turn away.
redc
Jackass
redc
January 19th, 2006 at 08:05pm
*Blue Star*Duj0indisguise:
Though sometimes, the children just won't respond to parents at all. Sometimes...it's just impossible. Parents try to be nice and let the kid have freedom... the kid could end up sleeping around... parents could try being strict...it could make the kid turn away.

That's the whole 'art' of being a parent - finding that balance or you could call it the 'sweet spot' - that relationship with the child that works - very similar to Goldilocks. Not too strict, but not to easy, it really is the middle way...of course finding that can be hard and can (will) be tested.
k-contentbarrier-
Addict
k-contentbarrier-
January 19th, 2006 at 10:35pm
this whole violence thing is overrated. I think that it's fine as long as heads aren't flying...(literal)
~ Christie ~
Idiot
~ Christie ~
January 20th, 2006 at 11:10am
yes and what about sex in tv ? It is like, in every single filmand even in some commercial
11th Street Kid
11th Street Kid
January 20th, 2006 at 11:54am
Sex in commercials? I haven't seen those..
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 20th, 2006 at 11:58am
*Blue Star*Duj0indisguise:
Sex in commercials? I haven't seen those..

Not literal sex....Erotcism is used quite a lot, however.

For example, skin products or shower gel commericals often carry the image of a beautiful, semi-naked man or woman.
Nine_Inch_Nails
Falling In Love With The Board
Nine_Inch_Nails
January 20th, 2006 at 12:05pm
I think the fact that more violence being shown in TV and playstation games etc is suggesting that violence is acceptable, and maybe even cool to children. I think that this needs to be stopped, but at the same time there IS a lot of violence in the world, so hiding it from people seems...wrong.
Big momma
Geek
Big momma
January 20th, 2006 at 12:47pm
I guess it sort of contradics itself
wheels-and-dolls-baby
Geek
wheels-and-dolls-baby
January 20th, 2006 at 06:28pm
I don't think any game or film that I know of is delibrately encouraging violence but I think young kids who play video games with violence in them would probably have the violence in the games affect them more than a TV programme or a film.
That_whore_called*Barbie*
Geek
January 20th, 2006 at 06:35pm
redc:
That brings up the age old arguement of environment vs. influencers. Is it the child's environment that shapes who he or she becomes or is the influencers?

And the arguement of the cycle of abuse - abuse begets abuse - a child sees the father beating the mother, will that child been beaten or be the beater?

Personally I think it's the environment, what type of upbringing has the child had. It's far to simple to 'blame' television for the violence today and the same should be said for video games. People tend to want to point the finger at someone or something else before pointing at themselves.

Parents never want to blame themselves for how their children behave (especially when it's bad behaviour) - but really it's the parental guidence (or lack thereof) that dictate's a child's behaviour. Remember behaviour is learned, we aren't born with the knowledge of how to behave.

So do I think TV encourages children to be violent, not so much, it may encourage them to "act" out or to wrestle with a sibling or two - but it's the parental input that will either nip it in the bud or let the violent behaviour continue.
i totally agree, but sometimes kids (and adults) can get influenced by things, depending on how strongly they feel for it, but also, people can be wrong about it, thinking they've been influenced by a certian thing when actually, they haven't.... my parents always threaten to stop me listening to punk music because they say it has a bad influence on me, but it doesn't, it's just a way to get forget about bad things happening and dance and jump around.......but also, i'm not sure if people in america heard about this, but these 2 kids, after watching that horror movie with 'Chucky' in it (can't remember what the movie's called) about 10 years ago, they went and stole a 2 year old from a pram and tied him to some train tracks, because they did that in the movie, and left the poor child on them until a train came, and i believe that's the result of their parents letting them watch movie's too old for them, that's the reason movie's have a certificate in the forst place
Geek
January 20th, 2006 at 06:36pm
wheels-and-dolls-baby:
I don't think any game or film that I know of is delibrately encouraging violence but I think young kids who play video games with violence in them would probably have the violence in the games affect them more than a TV programme or a film.

chloe!!!!!!!!!!1 Very Happy you're probably not gonna come on here again until the page is like 100 up, but oh well lol Wink

sorry for going completely off topic there..... Shifty
wheels-and-dolls-baby
Geek
wheels-and-dolls-baby
January 20th, 2006 at 07:31pm
That_whore_called*Barbie*:
redc:

i totally agree, but sometimes kids (and adults) can get influenced by things, depending on how strongly they feel for it, but also, people can be wrong about it, thinking they've been influenced by a certian thing when actually, they haven't.... my parents always threaten to stop me listening to punk music because they say it has a bad influence on me, but it doesn't, it's just a way to get forget about bad things happening and dance and jump around.......but also, i'm not sure if people in america heard about this, but these 2 kids, after watching that horror movie with 'Chucky' in it (can't remember what the movie's called) about 10 years ago, they went and stole a 2 year old from a pram and tied him to some train tracks, because they did that in the movie, and left the poor child on them until a train came, and i believe that's the result of their parents letting them watch movie's too old for them, that's the reason movie's have a certificate in the forst place

really? my mum and dad let me listen to whatever music I want
PanicOfBeliever
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
PanicOfBeliever
January 21st, 2006 at 02:22am
Which again suggests bad parenting. Why are they letting their retarded children watch/play these things? There is not one case where this all has happened to a Normal person. The media hype makes it out to be, but fails to back it up with evidence.
Just like as if
Jackass
Just like as if
January 21st, 2006 at 07:42am
There has been some murders and stuff that have some similarities with some videogames, I read an article about that some months ago. But it's not really anyone's fault, people like to watch violence from tv, play violent games, and so on and so forth. If you take care of some thing, some other thing gets less attention. It probably can't be solved. Hindsight is always nice.
PanicOfBeliever
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
PanicOfBeliever
January 21st, 2006 at 08:20am
Yes they speak of these murders linked to videogames but what were the subjects like? Not normal children as you'll find but retarded children with mental problems. =P[/b]
Emily-Cool
Falling In Love With The Board
Emily-Cool
January 21st, 2006 at 10:26am
i dunno.. it depends u c..??
Register