"Troubles" In the North

AuthorMessage
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 14th, 2006 at 01:10pm
suzie_k:
Thats all well and good, but when you have kids here still supporting the IRA and not really knowing anything of its history other than that "they are supposed to hate the brits" its kinda hard

They're free to support the IRA by all means (I just don't agree with it, obviously). But they really should learn more and be educated.

I know it isn't going to work yet, Aiffo (even though I want it to) but if we younger generations show the older generations that English and Irish can get along together, maybe some of the bad feeling may be gradually lost.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
February 14th, 2006 at 01:12pm
tre_cool_is_god:
xAiffoXKorrx:
NeoSteph:
Incubus:
NeoSteph:
xAiffoXKorrx:
Bloodraine:
Incubus:
I've said this before, we're not directing our anger at English people on a personal level, I wouldn't go up to some Englishman on the street and punch him because of what his ancestors did.

Well as long as you do that, then fine. I'll not be naive enough to think I have a right to go to Ireland and not expect abuse (I've heard stories...). So when I do go, I'll expect unpleasent stuff directed at me anyway. I say this because I have a friend who was spat at whilst in Ireland (She's from an Irish family, but has an english accent).

Even though, as I have said, my Ancestors wern't English anyway.
Oh, you've heard stories? There are tons of English people in Dublin nowadays. The people getting beaten up are Irish not English. Don't expect something of a country you've never been to.

yet you hold onto a belief structure started by people you've never met.

I've been to Ireland and did enjoy myself, however my boyfriend had plenty of people start fights with him. I've been told it's because of his londoners accent, where as i have something similar to cornish and would be considered neutral, because of cornwalls own opinions of independance.

Have you been to England?

I've been to England quite a few times, its not a bad place but the people there are bizarrely polite. It was really weird, anytime I bumped into someone, even though it was my fault they said sorry...

Just our way i suppose, you get the odd nasty bit of work. But confrontation is something we like to stay away from. you've probably been to major cities come to plymouth and you'll have a culture shock, a mixture of tourist and farmers thats what we are.

The Irish were friendly to me, bit rowdy but they reminded me of the way Americans acted in disneyland yet it didn't seem fake. However there was one tosser that refused to let us enter a pub unless he could see some irish i.d, yet he wasn't even employed by the pub.
Yeah, you get a lot of tossers, but the majority are fairly welcoming.

hey neosteph i used to live in plymouth adn your right its a nice place. I think that the Hoe is one of the nicest places ever. And we climbed the light house which was an expierince.

My husband had a job working i the ship yard there, and he said that he would go back and live there now if he could. But i dont think i would i would love to go back to wales.

I live on the hoe, you can see the lighthouse from my window. Though they don't let people go up there anymore ;_;

I like it here, we sort of stay neutral when it comes to british problems.
suzie_k
Falling In Love With The Board
suzie_k
February 14th, 2006 at 01:17pm
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
Thats all well and good, but when you have kids here still supporting the IRA and not really knowing anything of its history other than that "they are supposed to hate the brits" its kinda hard

They're free to support the IRA by all means (I just don't agree with it, obviously). But they really should learn more and be educated.

I know it isn't going to work yet, Aiffo (even though I want it to) but if we younger generations show the older generations that English and Irish can get along together, maybe some of the bad feeling may be gradually lost.

There is alot of hard feeling though.
Espcially when it comes to stuff like Bloody Sunday.
and even in more recent years, due to that Football match in Lansdown Road a few years back.
And there is even more hostility whn Celtic are playing Rangers.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 14th, 2006 at 01:27pm
suzie_k:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:

and even in more recent years, due to that Football match in Lansdown Road a few years back.

I just don't like the fact that I'm expected to feel bad or something I have had no hand in. Why should I have to pay for these hard feelings?. I've never hurt the Irish, but I'm still landed with a tag I don't like. We can go some way to dulling down these feelings.

The whole Celtic/Rangers thing is so big because of one thing: it's down to religion. Football fans (or more importantly, hooligans), behave in ways most people dislike. Hostility is to be expected in circumstances like that; it doesn't mean we have to like it but it's never going to change.
suzie_k
suzie_k
February 14th, 2006 at 01:32pm
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:

I just don't like the fact that I'm expected to feel bad or something I have had no hand in. Why should I have to pay for these hard feelings?. I've never hurt the Irish, but I'm still landed with a tag I don't like. We can go some way to dulling down these feelings.

The whole Celtic/Rangers thing is so big because of one thing: it's down to religion. Football fans (or more importantly, hooligans), behave in ways most people dislike. Hostility is to be expected in circumstances like that; it doesn't mean we have to like it but it's never going to change.

I agree with you 100% you shouldn't feel guilty for anything.
And if anything, from my perspective, it is the Irish who should feel guilty. Purely based on the face that we keep the rivalry going!
We are the ones who, up until recently, bombed innocent people.
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
February 14th, 2006 at 01:36pm
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:

Don't feel like you have to feel bad for what you didn't do. I know I can't speak for everyone but I'd say its more the English goverment the Irish are feeling angry and bitter towards, not the ordinary english people.
It wouldn't hurt the British goverment to try to do more to help out northern Ireland. If I had my way they would bann the orange order parade for a start, since all that does is stirr up anti-Birtish feelings on the nationalist side, which may sound stupid to you since you guys clearly have nothing to do with the orange order...
Incubus
Jackass
Incubus
February 14th, 2006 at 01:37pm
suzie_k:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:

And if anything, from my perspective, it is the Irish who should feel guilty. Purely based on the face that we keep the rivalry going!

personally I blame the IRA and the Orange order for stirring things up
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 14th, 2006 at 01:37pm
suzie_k:

There are two sides, though.

We're both guilty in a way, although neither of us have anything to be guilty for. It's sad really. And some Irish people will always have a grudge against the English (and vice-versa) because that's just the way they were brought up.
suzie_k
suzie_k
February 14th, 2006 at 01:44pm
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:

There are two sides, though.

We're both guilty in a way, although neither of us have anything to be guilty for. It's sad really. And some Irish people will always have a grudge against the English (and vice-versa) because that's just the way they were brought up.

I know and even though I have no problem with english people, having lived there for 7 years of my life, i still Ireland to beat them in rugby or football and, even though its sad, the eurovision.
I think it's just a mentality we will always have.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 14th, 2006 at 01:46pm
suzie_k:
I know and even though I have no problem with english people, having lived there for 7 years of my life, i still Ireland to beat them in rugby or football and, even though its sad, the eurovision.

That's just good ol' competetveness, though. I don't mind a bit of that. Friendly banter is always good.
suzie_k
suzie_k
February 14th, 2006 at 01:50pm
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:

That's just good ol' competetveness, though. I don't mind a bit of that. Friendly banter is always good.

It's not friendly when you don't care who england are playing as long as they loose.
It's just bigoted!
An I don't want to be a bigot!
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 14th, 2006 at 02:17pm
suzie_k:
It's not friendly when you don't care who england are playing as long as they loose.
It's just bigoted!

I don't mind anyway...Call it rivalry . I don't think it's a big deal. Get it out of your system with the football and the rugby.
suzie_k
suzie_k
February 14th, 2006 at 02:19pm
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
It's just bigoted!

I don't mind anyway...Call it rivalry . I don't think it's a big deal. Get it out of your system with the football and the rugby.

and the eurovision Yes the football and rugby!!
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 14th, 2006 at 02:23pm
suzie_k:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
It's just bigoted!

aaa
Can't forget the Eurovision. Oh no.
suzie_k
suzie_k
February 14th, 2006 at 02:33pm
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
It's just bigoted!

aaa

eurovision no one mentioned the eurovision Embarassed
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
February 14th, 2006 at 02:36pm
suzie_k:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:
It's just bigoted!

aaa

lmfao nothing beats a drunk terry wogan.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 14th, 2006 at 02:36pm
suzie_k:

Aye, suure we didn't. Shifty

Let the off-topicness end here!.
suzie_k
suzie_k
February 14th, 2006 at 02:47pm
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:

ok!!
To be perfectly honest, I'm glad what happened in the past happened. it has made our county stronger and i think no historicaly and culturaly we are richer and prouder as a nation.

We can say we took on the british empire and nearly won with the exception of the north
Lucifers Angel
King For A Couple Of Days
Lucifers Angel
February 14th, 2006 at 02:49pm
suzie_k:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:

ok!!
To be perfectly honest, I'm glad what happened in the past happened. it has made our county stronger and i think no historicaly and culturaly we are richer and prouder as a nation.

We can say we took on the british empire and nearly won with the exception of the north

you have to remember the past to learn from it in the future.
suzie_k
suzie_k
February 14th, 2006 at 02:54pm
tre_cool_is_god:
suzie_k:
Bloodraine:
suzie_k:

ok!!

you have to remember the past to learn from it in the future.

exactaly!
i like that quote so im gonna steal it and put it in my book!
Register