Shakira

AuthorMessage
Sara.
This Board Is My Home
Sara.
July 27th, 2006 at 04:31am
Shakira was born in Barranquilla, Colombia to a Colombian mother Nidia del Carmen Ripoll Torrado of Catalan descent and an American-born father William Mebarak Chadid of Christian Phoenician Lebanese-Macedonian descent. She was one of seven siblings, one of which is her road manager. Shakira began writing and composing music at the age of eight. She can speak Spanish, Arabic and English. One of her first songs was called "Tus Gafas Oscuras" (Your Dark Glasses), which was about her father's grief over his son who had died in a car accident. At the age of ten, Shakira tried out for her school choir, but she was not taken because her voice was "too strong." She was teased by her friends for sounding similar to a goat. As a result, Shakira started looking for other singing opportunities, and competed in a weekly television singing competition for children, Vivan Los Niños (Long Live The Kids).

Between the ages of ten to thirteen, Shakira was invited to various events in Barranquilla, and gained some recognition in the area. It was around this time that she met local theater producer Monica Ariza, who was impressed with Shakira and as a result attempted to help her career. During a flight from Barranquilla to Bogotá, Ariza convinced Sony Colombia executive Ciro Vargas to hold an audition for Shakira in a hotel lobby. Vargas held Shakira in good regards and returned to the Sony office and gave the cassette to a song and artist director. However, the director was not overly excited and thought Shakira was somewhat of "a lost cause". Vargas, not daunted, was still convinced that Shakira had talent, and set up an audition in Bogotá. He arranged for Sony Colombia executives to arrive at the audition, with the idea of surprising them with Shakira's performance. She performed three songs for the executives and impressed them enough for her to be subsequently signed to record three albums.

Magia (Magic) was Shakira's debut album, recorded with Sony Colombia in 1991, when she was 15. The album did not fare well commercially as less than one thousand copies were sold. After Magia, Shakira released Peligro (Danger) in 1993. The album was better received than Magia, but Shakira decided to take a hiatus from recording so that she could graduate from high school.

Shakira is well-known for her dancing in various music videos. The moves are based on the art of belly dancing, a part of her Lebanese heritage, which Shakira says she learned as a young teen to overcome her shyness . The intense training has afforded her a fluidity in her body movement most seen in the video to her hit "La Tortura". In an MTV interview, she said people told her she never moved her chest when dancing, so she danced with her chest (as well as her usual belly dancing moves) in the videos for "La Tortura" and "Hips Don't Lie".

Wikipedia - Info.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sites:
http://www.shakira.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakira
~ ~ ~ ~

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhbX4tuWLpI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzpofSsAGGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96EtK8BHBWA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-n26T_3z2U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFlrDzJgQNg
(Yes they're all in Spanish/ Arabic. She has few English Videos on YouTube)
~ ~ ~ ~
Picture:

~ ~ ~ ~
Discography:
Magia. - 91
Peligro. - 93
Pies Descalzos. - 96
¿Dónde Están los Ladrones?. - 98
MTV Unplugged. - 00
Laundry Service- 01
Grandes Éxitos. - 02
Live & Off the Record. - 04
Fijación Oral Vol. 1. - 05
Oral Fixation Vol. 2. - 05

No bad mouthing. Kay?
Bittersweet World
Banned
Bittersweet World

Blog
July 27th, 2006 at 04:38am
I had her Laundry Service album back in '01. ~~
Emily-Cool
Falling In Love With The Board
Emily-Cool
July 27th, 2006 at 04:57am
that girl can dance, i'll give her that Cool
mikey1000
Idiot
mikey1000
July 27th, 2006 at 06:51am
Hmmm Shakira...she has some nice hip-movements. I don'r really dig her voice and songs...not my thang. She had a gig 2 weeks ago on a stadium near me...my mom bought tickets and all that. She's weird like that. lmfao
wake the dead.
This Board Is My Home
wake the dead.
July 27th, 2006 at 07:34am
I had that single of hers, from a few years ago...er, the Wherever song?

Yah Cool
DragingIntoTheLite
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
DragingIntoTheLite
July 27th, 2006 at 07:43am
Shes ok..
Anne-Marie
Geek
Anne-Marie
July 27th, 2006 at 07:45am
i like hips dont lie she can certainly shake her thang!
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
July 27th, 2006 at 07:50am
Panic!medic:
I had her Laundry Service album back in '01. ~~

Me too, just a copy but I liked it ~~
*higher_than_hope*
Jackass
*higher_than_hope*
July 27th, 2006 at 07:52am
I have a great respect for her. With all that charity work she does, her amazing voice and those dance moves etc.
And I have Laundry Service. I was actually just listening to it yesterday XD
Peter Petrelli
King For A Couple Of Days
Peter Petrelli
July 27th, 2006 at 02:17pm
I haven't got any of her albums, but from what I've heard (Hips Don't Lie and some of her older songs) I really like. And damn it, she's got a hell of a good voice.

I want her dance moves Shocked
tomamazon
GSBitch
tomamazon

Mibba Blog
July 27th, 2006 at 02:18pm
SHE'S SEXAY.

And she has an amazing figure.

Humph, I wish my hips didn't lie ..
Bored To Death
Jackass
Bored To Death
July 27th, 2006 at 02:21pm
I like her Smile
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
July 27th, 2006 at 02:27pm
Emily-Cool:
that girl can dance, i'll give her that Cool
in_paradise_with_st_jimmy
Falling In Love With The Board
in_paradise_with_st_jimmy

Mibba Blog
July 27th, 2006 at 02:31pm
A couple of my friends are actually going to her concert. I think that she has a pretty good voice and she can dance better than any of the other female singers/dancers out there.
The Rev
Addict
The Rev
July 27th, 2006 at 03:05pm
she's got guilty pleasure written all over her.

i have her Oral Fixation Vol. 2 album Cool lmfao
mikey1000
Idiot
mikey1000
July 27th, 2006 at 03:23pm
Aleckz:

WOW Shocked Is that what it's called? Oral fixation? lmfao lmfao lmfao ...catchy.
CristhyneS
Jackass
CristhyneS

Mibba
July 27th, 2006 at 03:35pm
I've been listening to Shakira as far as I can remember. I'm really let down on the classical pop-star she's become into. I really liked some of her older songs when I was little and I still enjoy them very much. I think she's never put out a better album than Pîes Descalzos, Vuelve, Te Espero Sentada, Pies Descalzos and Se Quiere Se Mata, those are her greatest songs, if you ask. Though I like Día de Enero out of Oral Fixation vol. 1, and as for songs in English, I like Underneath Your Clothes, that's about it.

But if anyone likes Shakira here, you should really get Pies Descalzos. There's some great stuff in that album, and some great lyrics too.
The Rev
Addict
The Rev
July 27th, 2006 at 03:49pm
mikey1000:
Aleckz:

WOW Shocked Is that what it's called? Oral fixation? lmfao lmfao lmfao ...catchy.

lmfao yes thats what its called..
i laughed a lot when i got the album. cause of what its called. but its good Cool
mikey1000
Idiot
mikey1000
July 27th, 2006 at 04:10pm
Aleckz:
mikey1000:
Aleckz:

lmfao yes thats what its called..
i laughed a lot when i got the album. cause of what its called. but its good Cool

Well she's smart and know what sells. And an album called oral fixation draws my attention like a magnet. Cool
ChiefShoesUntied
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
ChiefShoesUntied
July 27th, 2006 at 04:15pm
she's actually has a good voice.

Just not my type of artist....
Register