Ryan Adams

AuthorMessage
High Fidelity
Falling In Love With The Board
High Fidelity
August 27th, 2008 at 12:27am
I went through all 26 pages and saw no thread for Ryan Adams, but if one happens to exist, please feel free to delete this one. Up

"David Ryan Adams (born November 5, 1974) is an American alt-country/rock singer-songwriter from Jacksonville, North Carolina. Raised by his mother and grandmother, Adams dropped out of school at age 16 and performed with several local bands before moving to Raleigh and forming the band Whiskeytown. Three albums and five years later, Adams went solo, releasing Heartbreaker in 2000. A longtime resident of New York City, Adams is probably best known for his song "New York, New York", which appeared on his 2001 release Gold. He has since released four more solo albums and three albums with backing band, The Cardinals. His latest release, the EP Follow The Lights, was released on October 23, 2007."
-- Wikipedia

So, any other RA obsessers on GSB? I'm currently loving his insanely random blog and my most recent Ryan purchase, Cold Roses.

And for all you Green Day junkies, Billie Joe actually sang backing vocals on one of Ryan's songs, "Do Miss America."

RA's official site
chump
chump
August 27th, 2008 at 07:05pm
Color Me Impressed:
I went through all 26 pages and saw no thread for Ryan Adams, but if one happens to exist, please feel free to delete this one. Up

So, any other RA obsessers on GSB?

And for all you Green Day junkies, Billie Joe actually sang backing vocals on one of Ryan's songs, "Do Miss America."
there's a "search" button at the bottom of the site, you don't have to go through all of the pages! Wink

and yea... i love ryan adams. some weeks ago i noticed that too @ billie joe singing with him... !!
unfortunately i couldnt go to his concert last year. Sad
have you seen him live?
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
September 22nd, 2008 at 08:31pm
The search button hasn't been working for a lot of people though so... Dno

I haven't seen him live, but it sounds like he'll be touring for Cardinology (OUT OCTOBER 28th!!!!), so hopefully i'll get to see him then. I've heard his Philly shows are infamous, so it should definetely be enjoyable.
SirJackles
Idiot
SirJackles
October 9th, 2008 at 08:14pm
Don't have much Ryan, but Color Me Impressed here got me some, and i enjoy the songs I have. I'm sure i will be plugged into more RA soon, right Impressed? Wink
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
October 28th, 2008 at 05:50pm
CARDINOLOGY OUT TODAY!! GZA

Go buy a copy. It. Fucking. Rocks.

Bought it at Target this morning (yes, ha, Target. that's the best it gets in my boring world). Waited outside until 8am when they opened
it was so entirely worth it.

If you're a fan of any of RA's albums, solo, w/ the Cardinals, w/ Whiskeytown, pick this one up.
It has heavier RockNRollesque stuff (just less lame) like "Magick", plus tamer Heartbreakeresque stuff like "Crossed Out Name."

This album won't be leaving my CD player for a while.
And I'm sure it'll be the same case with my turntable when I get it on vinyl next week
LordsOfDogTown<5
King For A Couple Of Days
LordsOfDogTown<5
December 3rd, 2008 at 08:41pm
You need to help me choose a good Ryan Adams album!
I'm debating whether to buy Gold or Heartbreaker
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
December 4th, 2008 at 03:11pm
LordsOfDogTown<5:
It depends more on what you're into. Gold has a classic rock kind of vibe, yet it has some of the quieter moving songs on it too. Heartbreaker is mostly quiet and moving with a few rockers. The song that got me hooked on Ryan was "Come Pick Me Up", which is on Heartbreaker. If you're open to suggestions, I think Cold Roses gives the best overview of Ryan, Cardinals and solo. It really represents all of his styles equally.

EDIT: After all that ranting, I totally didn't answer your question. I'd say get Heartbreaker. I bought Gold first, listened to it a few times but never really got into it. Then I bought Heartbreaker, which was love at first listen, revisited Gold, and found I loved it too.
chump
chump
December 4th, 2008 at 05:04pm
Color Me Impressed:
I'd say get Heartbreaker.

I agree. It's great.
LordsOfDogTown<5
LordsOfDogTown<5
December 5th, 2008 at 01:00am
Color Me Impressed:
LordsOfDogTown<5:
It depends more on what you're into. Gold has a classic rock kind of vibe, yet it has some of the quieter moving songs on it too. Heartbreaker is mostly quiet and moving with a few rockers. The song that got me hooked on Ryan was "Come Pick Me Up", which is on Heartbreaker. If you're open to suggestions, I think Cold Roses gives the best overview of Ryan, Cardinals and solo. It really represents all of his styles equally.

EDIT: After all that ranting, I totally didn't answer your question. I'd say get Heartbreaker. I bought Gold first, listened to it a few times but never really got into it. Then I bought Heartbreaker, which was love at first listen, revisited Gold, and found I loved it too.
I like his country sound a little more than his rock sound.
I love "Come Pick Me Up"! One of the first songs of his that got me hooked onto him too.
So yeah, I think I should go for Heartbreaker.
Thanks this really helped Very Happy
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
December 6th, 2008 at 08:37am
LordsOfDogTown<5:
Color Me Impressed:
LordsOfDogTown<5:

I like his country sound a little more than his rock sound.
I love "Come Pick Me Up"! One of the first songs of his that got me hooked onto him too.
So yeah, I think I should go for Heartbreaker.
Thanks this really helped Very Happy
Yeah, definitely go for Heartbreaker then. His most country album is Jacksonville City Nights, which I would recommend later in your listening, but I don't think it's the best introduction.
Not a problem, I live for shit like this. Cool
chump
chump
December 6th, 2008 at 04:52pm
LordsOfDogTown<5:
I love "Come Pick Me Up"!
I think I've watched that a hundred times.

LordsOfDogTown<5
LordsOfDogTown<5
December 7th, 2008 at 02:20pm
M-azin' song! performance! music! vocals!

I think I've watched Answering Bell 200 times, at least.
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
December 7th, 2008 at 06:44pm
I am fairly certain I love that song more than life itself. It is the perfect blend of beauty, sarcasm, and melancholy and I just can't get enough of it. I've probably listened to this song ten times a week for the past two years. I'm crossing my fingers that he plays it at the show I'm going to; it sounds so excellent Cardinalized.
LordsOfDogTown<5
LordsOfDogTown<5
December 8th, 2008 at 12:57pm
Anyone here a Whiskeytown fan?
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
December 8th, 2008 at 09:33pm
LordsOfDogTown<5:
Anyone here a Whiskeytown fan?
... other than the resident Ryan addict?
LordsOfDogTown<5
LordsOfDogTown<5
December 10th, 2008 at 05:33pm
Lol, i'll know you're the resident Ryan addict only if you can name the Stephen King book in which R. Adams' song "When the Stars Go Blue" was quoted. No cheating.
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
December 10th, 2008 at 05:39pm
Shit. Um... Lisey's Story, right?

King also wrote a blurb on Easy Tiger which was supposed to be in it's liner notes.
LordsOfDogTown<5
LordsOfDogTown<5
December 10th, 2008 at 05:46pm
Shit son, that is correct
You really are resident Ryan addict!
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
December 10th, 2008 at 05:51pm
Have you read the book? I haven't gotten around to it yet.
LordsOfDogTown<5
LordsOfDogTown<5
December 10th, 2008 at 05:57pm
Nope, but I got the book today and looking forward to reading it
Register