Mixed Race.

AuthorMessage
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
June 7th, 2012 at 12:19pm
wild at heart:
Racism refers to discrimination of certain races. For example germans can't be racist against the polish, i think a better word is xenophobia. The slavery part: yeah slavery was common in the past, but here we are talking about black people being enslaved by white people just because of their skin color. That is the problem, thus one race being considered inferior to the other and that is a very serious issue, so i found your comment about them "whining" about this extremely offensive and insesitive.
Also in the english language nigger doesn't mean black. Black means black. Nigger is a derogatory term and a very serious insult to a person of color.

I admit I was over-reacting because it's been such a long time. Both sides of the conflict have to fix their attitudes towards the other.
Also, the word I was talking about was negro. Nigger is imo a slangish way of saying it. Hence the offensive bit.
And what I simply can't get over is the fact that in multiple songs by African American artists, they seem to call each other nigger, but find it offensive when someone else does. I call that kind of a double-standard. The term might be wrong, but it looks like it.

I think the skin colour was more of an excuse than an actual reason in the beginning. At the time, most African people did not live in European-like cities or eat off of fine china. It's rather common for people to take advantage of others that they deem less successful based on their own standards (cities and fine china, just as an example). It was rather easy to overpower people that didn't stand a chance against their weapons. For an example.. if you see a fine piece of fruit, you eat it. And when you could, you did. Same way the Europeans at the time (also Africans themselves who sold out their enemies or neighbouring tribes) saw fresh workforce and decided to milk it. Hence how the African Americans made it to the America in the first place.
I don't see much difference in discrimination based on physical attributes and discrimination based on perceived cultural differences. I just think it's wrong regardless of the shape thereof.
Psychologically speaking.. the longer you've been a slave, historically speaking, the more likely you are to be very defensive etc about it when you're free.
wild at heart
Idiot
wild at heart

Blog
June 7th, 2012 at 04:59pm
Negro/nigger are the same thing. It's literally the most offensive thing ever, it is used to dehumanize black people and strip them of their dignity. The word will always have a powerful negative connotation no matter what. By using it in their own culture they are reapropriating it. It can reasonably be argued that it's often used to express a level of camaraderie and community amongst black people comfortable with its usage. But it's definitely not ok for a white person to use it because then it's just continuing the cycle of abuse. Moreover there is no other word in the english language equivalent to the n-word to be used against the white community that carries the same social, historical and ratial implications
I'm not even going start with the second paragraph since it doesn't actually make any sense and it just seems you are looking for/making up stuff to somehow justify your bigotry.
XxWistfulxX
Jackass
XxWistfulxX
April 14th, 2013 at 11:50am
No problem at all with mixed race relationships, it would be stupid to object to them. I get the point about not fitting in within a certain race, I'm biracial so pretty much half Jewish and half Irish, that did kind of confuse me a lot as a kid, didnt know how to see myself if you know what i mean Wink
wild at heart:
Negro/nigger are the same thing. It's literally the most offensive thing ever, it is used to dehumanize black people and strip them of their dignity. The word will always have a powerful negative connotation no matter what. By using it in their own culture they are reapropriating it. It can reasonably be argued that it's often used to express a level of camaraderie and community amongst black people comfortable with its usage. But it's definitely not ok for a white person to use it because then it's just continuing the cycle of abuse.

I agree with that, but I guess you could argue about the use of the word "whiteboy" among black people-obviously historically it doesn't have the negative connotations as a lot of terms used to describe black people, but i'm none too happy with people using it who aren't white, just like i wouldn't be happy with white people using the word "nigger".
PaNcAkEs
Jackass
PaNcAkEs

Blog
April 20th, 2013 at 08:36pm
I believe that we are all citizens of the world, not so much representatives of a race or nationality, which of course plays a role in distinguishing people based on their background and culture. This is also why, even if right now certain people feel weird towards people of mixed decent, no. It's weird because for instance here, if one parent is russian and one parent finnish, no one cares. Also, the only reason a child with a white parent and a black parent would grab attention would be because of the lack of darker skinned people here. You could count them on the fingers of both hands in our second largest city, I'm sure. The only reason why some people feel awkward about mixed people or people of different origin is because of their lack of experience of knowledge or upbringing.
So the problem isn't in people's decent or how their parents/children would look, but more in the rest of society being either uneducated, inexperienced etc.
Register