Grammar Nazi. Good or bad?

AuthorMessage
Brigister
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Brigister
August 30th, 2011 at 05:30am
What do you think of the so-called Grammar Nazis? Personally, I think I am one. Sometimes I correct people when they write incorrectly and I often get this kind of answer: "o mai god your a grmar nazi pleez stop bitchign about how i wright!!!111". Seeing people writing like that really hurts my brain. The sad fact is that I'm Italian and sometimes I happen to correct people who speak english everyday. So that's basically why I think "Grammar Nazis" are good.
MAD CUNT
Basket Case
MAD CUNT

Blog
August 30th, 2011 at 05:59am
Online, I only correct people who ought to know better - i.e. pretentious English student friends who try to catch me out with spelling/grammar/typos whenever I commit them, or my brother as part of his improved English education.

I try only to correct people who want correcting, like if they've asked if everything reads well spelling- and grammar-wise in an email etc. It's just a bit pernickety to always correct people.

Also, should this be in Discussion?
Brigister
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Brigister
August 30th, 2011 at 07:19am
I must admit I definitely am pernickety.

BETHANY COSENTINO.:
Also, should this be in Discussion?

What do you mean with that?
St. Dude
St. Dude
August 30th, 2011 at 08:48am
i try to keep to myself even though people should know the differences between the "your's" and "there's." some people do it because it's "easier." i mean, really? No admittedly, i did use "ur" and "your" in replace of "you're" when i was 13-14 lol

Brigister:
What do you mean with that?

she meant should this be in the Specific Discussion forum
Raymond
Post Whore
Raymond
August 30th, 2011 at 09:28am
I only correct people I don't like.

Does this make me a horrible person?
bi_bu_ra
Rotting On Here
bi_bu_ra

Mibba
August 30th, 2011 at 09:42am
i am a grammer nazi Smile
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
August 30th, 2011 at 10:33am
I used to be, like I would correct my friends and they would think i was an arrogant bitch, when I thought I was doing them a favour..

I keep mixing British English with American English/grammar though, because I mainly taught myself english on this website, lol..

Anyway, my friends weren't very happy, so now I only correct people if its something important or permanent, and not a text, email, casual conversation etc Con
HandGrenadeGirly
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
HandGrenadeGirly
August 30th, 2011 at 01:03pm
Have to admit I can be a Grammar Nazi at times, but do try to control myself. The only things that really bothers me are the "your / you're" thing and apostrophes where they are not supposes to be. I tend to bite my tongue and let it go though, because lots of people are not great at English, but still have some great ideas and brilliant things to say.

Oh and I REALLY HATE "txt spk", it's lazy and unnecessary.
MAD CUNT
Basket Case
MAD CUNT

Blog
August 30th, 2011 at 01:04pm
txt spk is well fun, n00b.

nah, I only use it on here when I'm being ironic.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
August 31st, 2011 at 02:03pm
i don't understand why people care so much about everyone's spelling and grammar abilities. it is not you who can't spell so why do you care. people are so concerned about other people and i just find it obnoxious. i can find better things to do than correct people.
Mareh
King For A Couple Of Days
Mareh

Blog
September 1st, 2011 at 02:50am
I only really do it seriously when you get people who go too far with it. Like the teenage girls WhoOOOo Typee;;; lik dIsss. I mean seriously.
GeekStinkBreath21
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
GeekStinkBreath21
September 1st, 2011 at 12:39pm
Interestingly, I raised the issue of how people type on Yahoo Answers. I recieved a reply, and since, I have accepted how different people type. I prefer typing, and reading, proper typed stuff but no longer take issue with those who don't.
Don't get me wrong, I never was huge opposed to it, but just prefered proper typed stuff. Anyway, I asked a question on there about it and recieved a reply about how people have difficulty spelling.
Batman.
Falling In Love With The Board
Batman.
September 3rd, 2011 at 01:06pm
Still, fifteen year old girls shouldn't be typnggg lyk disss; <3 (: txt ittt!

I'm sure they have no difficulty spelling at all, they just choose to look obnoxious for whatever reason; attention, to fit in, what have you.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
September 3rd, 2011 at 01:37pm
when i was thirteen i typed like that. i didn't do it to be obnoxious i just did it because it was faster to do at the time. like i understand it is annoying, but i don't get why it bothers people so much.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
September 3rd, 2011 at 02:41pm
I sometimes typed a certain way when I texted with my friends, because that was how they texted, but I always felt so awkward doing it, like I felt so silly about it
Mareh
King For A Couple Of Days
Mareh

Blog
September 4th, 2011 at 09:32am
JESSE EISENBERG.:
when i was thirteen i typed like that. i didn't do it to be obnoxious i just did it because it was faster to do at the time. like i understand it is annoying, but i don't get why it bothers people so much.
Lol I had an argument with a girl over facebook about this once. How can it be faster if you're typing more keys than necessary? omgno
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
September 4th, 2011 at 01:11pm
I didn't type more keys than necessary. I typed like this: u, r, lyk, dis, luv
Batman.
Falling In Love With The Board
Batman.
September 7th, 2011 at 07:28pm
JESSE EISENBERG.:

It bothers people so much because it's extremely unnecessary to do. In all honesty, it probably takes longer to type like that than it does to just do it regularly. Not only is it unnecessary, it's difficult to read. Sometimes Ijust have honestly no idea what they're saying anyway.
Woodrow Derenberger
Woodrow Derenberger
September 7th, 2011 at 07:51pm
Nah, what Dean was talking about it pe0pleeee wh0 tyyyyyyp lyyykk disss n addddd lootz uv unnnnessecccarrry lttrrrrrrz.

Which not only makes you look very unintelligent, its also much harder than spelling out a legit word. Text speak has a time and a place, I think. but adding additional letters is useless.
NIK JONUTZ
NIK JONUTZ

Blog
September 7th, 2011 at 10:35pm
Yeah it's annoying and unnecessary I agree, but like people over react about it. Again like I said people are always so concerned about others and it's stupid. Why can't people type like they want without other people bitching about it?
Register