Veganism/vegetarianism

AuthorMessage
Sherlock
Board Parasite
Sherlock
September 14th, 2009 at 06:45pm
I just said 'meat-eaters', I haven't changed my story, but as a general rule, I only speak to people I know, I would never go over to some table of people at a restaurant and say anything about what they were eating.. unless they were spit-roasting a pig and yelling about it, or something.
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
October 15th, 2009 at 12:27pm
condomgun:
One answer to this: I watched the animal slaughter video and I still ate my double bacon cheeseburger. I don't care. I'm a human that's on top of the food chain. Screw PETA.

This is coming from someone with 'condom' in their username....
All that dirty meat that was being manhandled in that video ended up in your burger.
Gross.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
October 15th, 2009 at 03:19pm
Sherlock Holmes:
condomgun:
One answer to this: I watched the animal slaughter video and I still ate my double bacon cheeseburger. I don't care. I'm a human that's on top of the food chain. Screw PETA.

All that dirty meat that was being manhandled in that video ended up in your burger.
Gross.

What, are condoms immoral or related to vegetarianism or something?
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
October 15th, 2009 at 05:04pm
Bloodraine:
Sherlock Holmes:
condomgun:

Gross.

What, are condoms immoral or related to vegetarianism or something?

I just find it funny that someone who appears to regard their opinion as a serious life changing one has the word Condom in their name.
Squid.
King For A Couple Of Days
Squid.

Blog
October 15th, 2009 at 05:28pm
I agree.
Being "atop the food chain" doesn't mean we should just eat them.
Is straight up crule,
Would you also beat a dog, because you're on top of the food chain?
Or starve a kitten?
Most likely not, and that's not nearly as bad as what is done to animals people eat.

Or,
What if for every animale that's killed a meat eater is also killed in the exact same way, can you imagen dying the way they are?
It's terrible.

Ifyoucaneatacaw, why not a human?
[minus the whole insane things and whatnot that come with it.]
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
October 19th, 2009 at 02:27pm
condomgun:
I love how I'm being attacked for thinking veggeterians are pushy fibre/iron hating morons. :] I decided since I'm being insulted I can insult as well.

Stop categorizing us please,
we're not all like that!
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
October 19th, 2009 at 03:20pm
condomgun:
You categorized me as a "pervert" or a "dumbass" so I get to categorize you in return. Its part of my life rule: I give what I get. Besides I do have veggeterian friends. I don't think you're all like that I just wanted to see the maturity level of this message board, its safe to say I'm dissapointed.

Because people with a 'high maturity level' believe that two wrongs make a right.

Seriously? If you don't like the 'maturity level' of the forum, then don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. But retaliation and trading insults is hardly conducive to a good debating environment.
Dr.Hymen
Geek
Dr.Hymen

Blog
October 19th, 2009 at 04:48pm
Amazing how the levels of respect for one another falter once the admins evacuate momentarily.
votefordisco
Rotting On Here
votefordisco

Mibba
October 19th, 2009 at 05:09pm
I was brought up eating meat. I went veggie a couple of times when I was younger but it never lasted long. I'm a member of the Animal and Environmental Welfare society at my University and I think they way humans tend to treat animals is horrific, but I'm not actually vegetarian at the moment.

I know it doesn't make sense and I am a complete hypocrite, but I don't see animals and meat as the same thing. They're just separate in my mind, because it's easier that way. It's easier to eat meat than to not. And I like meat because I've grown up eating it. If I start thinking of animals and meat as the same thing then I cannot eat meat, I will have to turn vegetarian because I will feel sick every time I eat meat. But I'm lazy and I don't want to. It's hard to stop viewing meat as food and start seeing it as dead animal. And it's painful, too.

I think maybe another reason I'm so hypocritcal with this is because my views aren't really fully developed. It does make me want to cry when I think about the way we treat animals, but on the other hand, we are animals ourselves and it is natural. Lions rip animals apart and we don't think of them as evil; it's just how they survive. It's the food chain. What we do is the same thing; we kill animals in the most efficient way for us, the most useful for us. It's exactly the same.

But then, there's also the argument that unlike most other animals, we have reason and, apparently, pretty high intelligence. We know very well how to survive healthily without eating animals. We can reason above animal instinct, whereas animals like lions need to kill and eat other animals to survive.

So, yeah. I don't really know what I think about veganism and vegetarianism. I don't like having definite opinions on things. I think it's dangerous, really, especially when you do philosophy. I'm very much sitting on the fence on pretty much every issue ever. I don't know what else to say.
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
October 20th, 2009 at 12:55pm
condomgun:
You categorized me as a "pervert" or a "dumbass" so I get to categorize you in return. Its part of my life rule: I give what I get. Besides I do have veggeterian friends. I don't think you're all like that I just wanted to see the maturity level of this message board, its safe to say I'm dissapointed.

Since when did I personally call you any of those things??
Fallop!an Cwac Cwac.
Geek
Fallop!an Cwac Cwac.

Blog
October 21st, 2009 at 07:43pm
see, i think what she/he ^ meant
was like the (and i'm sorry if this offends anyone further) 'crazy' peta people.
i mean really.
some of their methods of converting people to vegetarian/vegan are a bit extreme if you ask me.
though when i say that, i am not diercting this to anyone of you in any way.
Sherlock Holmes
Addict
Sherlock Holmes
October 22nd, 2009 at 12:54pm
Yeh, I agree in that way but like you said not all members take it too far.
I'm an active member of PETA and I don't go running around naked covered in fake blood.

There are simpler ways of getting the message across.
votefordisco
Rotting On Here
votefordisco

Mibba
October 22nd, 2009 at 08:11pm
I don't even really think people should try to 'get the message accross', really. it's fine to inform people who want to be informed, but to try and push your views on to anyone is wrong in any sense, I think. discussion is great, but people often forget that we are all entitled to our own opinions and think that because they believe something, everyone else should too.

I think vegans and vegetarians do this quite often, in general. they do tend to try and push their views onto other people instead of just stating them as their own. kind of gives them a bad name, really, and makes people even more likely to disagree simply because they are irritating. (obviously when I speak here I am not speaking of everyone, I am generalising. a lot.)

for the animal and environmental welfare society we are trying to start a campaign for 'meat free mondays'. on the one hand I think this is great - a lot of people dismiss vegetarianism because they're not aware of the varied, yummy diet you can obtain even when meat is cut out of it.
on the other hand, I'm a bit hesitent because it is a bit like forcing our beliefs and choices on other people. just because we want to cut out meat why should we try and make other people do it, too? veganism and vegetarianism is a personal choice and I don't really know if it's right to try and make other people choose it too.

I guess there's a balance between forcing views upon people and informing people of different options. it's tricky buisness though.
votefordisco
Rotting On Here
votefordisco

Mibba
October 22nd, 2009 at 08:14pm
aaaand, thinking about it, if no one tried to force any views upon people then we would be very relativist, which would then lead to demoralisation of like, everything.

I think I've kind of gone off topic though so I shall go away now..
Squid.
King For A Couple Of Days
Squid.

Blog
October 22nd, 2009 at 11:48pm
That wouldn't be forcing anything,
To make a meatless day.
It's would make it a tad more even to vegs./vegans.
Because it would be one day they wouldn't have to look at meat,
Big deal if meat eaters don't have there one day of meat.
St.Billie.
Idiot
St.Billie.
March 1st, 2010 at 02:04pm
well, i´m a vegetarian, but i couldn´t imagine being a vegan. i mean, i think it´s enough to eat no meat, fish and only buy biologic products. i was really happy when i found out that my idol, billie is a vegetarian too!
Bones
Falling In Love With The Board
Bones

Mibba Blog
March 1st, 2010 at 06:45pm
^there is youtube evidence to suggest otherwise

Anyways, there's this girl at my work who is vegan (a strange concept in this part of the world) and this guy stunned that such a thing existed asked her why. Her answer was for health reasons then 2 seconds later she went out for a cigarette!!!

I don't get it to be honest. Maybe its because my grandfather was a butcher and the area I'm from but its never crossed my mind to not eat meat. Don't see a reason why not to - not an animal rights crusader and for health makes no sense as you need meat to get the correct ratio of essential amino acids to make proteins
ZukoAlone
Idiot
ZukoAlone
March 1st, 2010 at 07:09pm
I tried to become a vegetarian, but I kept forgetting D;
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
March 4th, 2010 at 02:57pm
ZukoAlone:
I tried to become a vegetarian, but I kept forgetting D;

I love this so much.
Lykkepillen
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Lykkepillen
March 4th, 2010 at 04:08pm
IwannaBeBillieJoe!:
well, i´m a vegetarian, but i couldn´t imagine being a vegan. i mean, i think it´s enough to eat no meat, fish and only buy biologic products. i was really happy when i found out that my idol, billie is a vegetarian too!

I thought he stoped? On the random facts on GDA it says that he was in the early '90s, but he had to quit because he became to skinny or something..

Bu anyways.. I dont think its cruel to eat meat.. Just imagine if everybody suddenly became vegeterians/vegans, there would be to many animals, and not enough food for them..
Register