Advice For New Drummers?

AuthorMessage
Basketcase463
King For A Couple Of Days
Basketcase463
July 1st, 2005 at 08:56pm
hey ive never played the drums before, (well, ive fooled around on my cousins kit) but i have no idea what im doing, im getting my kit this week, and i gotta look into lessons but does anyone have any advice for me?
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
July 1st, 2005 at 09:02pm
anyone? lol
im stupid i dont even know what all the different parts of the drums are called lol
i know theres the foot hitting thing but i dunno what its called and i think the cymbals are the big round gold or silver or whatever things? lol
a bunch of ppl keep telling me i wont be able to play cuz im a girl, i cant wait to prove them wrong lol
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
July 1st, 2005 at 09:13pm
oh come on anyone??????????????????
Smells_Like_Nirvana
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Smells_Like_Nirvana
July 2nd, 2005 at 12:06am
Hey. Ima chik n I got drum lessons once a weeks 4 10 weeks. U shuld definatley get some sort of lessons coz there really handy. Timing is important so u need to know about that! Umm get sum drum tabs off the net, heres a good site http://www.mxtabs.net so...goodluck!
Soldasfreedom
Idiot
Soldasfreedom
July 2nd, 2005 at 07:41am
Once youve learnt some beats and sorted out timing its pretty easy. And tabs are real easy to read so you shud be fine. OOh and make LOTS of noise Very Happy
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
July 2nd, 2005 at 06:55pm
Neutral,

you need help,

lots. but yea, mxtabs is a great site for tablatures
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
July 3rd, 2005 at 10:46am
well im defintately taking lessons (my dad is making me) lol, but im getting a lot of shit from my cuzin about being a girl drummer Confused
Franny.
Falling In Love With The Board
Franny.
July 3rd, 2005 at 03:40pm
Basketcase463:
well im defintately taking lessons (my dad is making me) lol, but im getting a lot of shit from my cuzin about being a girl drummer Confused

girl drummers rock! donna C is an awesome drummer. the chick from kittie is a good drummer as well. just dont get put down by other people and beat the shit out of your drums. and learn to keep time lol
greendayscumbag
Idiot
greendayscumbag
July 3rd, 2005 at 04:45pm
Basketcase463:

Dont take any shit, Girl drummers rule. i'm a girl drummer (although i'm always told i drum like a guy).

All i can say is practice, not to be perfect but to be awesome. most people say its best to practice for atleast 10 minutes everyday, but id recomend 20 just to keep upto date. Practice you're timing the most of all.

You should spend a full ten mintues playing basic fills and beats to work on you're timing. It will become repetative but believe me, it will help you in the long run, then spend the next 10 just beating the crap outta you're kit.

Set you're self goals it will help push you'rself and work harder.

Most of all have fun, enjoy it... don't start drumming thinking "oh god i have to learn drums and kick ass like Tre" that ain't gonna help you.
calex1991
Geek
calex1991
July 3rd, 2005 at 04:49pm
Tell Your Cousin to piss off
greendayscumbag
Idiot
greendayscumbag
July 3rd, 2005 at 04:59pm
Basketcase463:
anyone? lol
im stupid i dont even know what all the different parts of the drums are called lol
i know theres the foot hitting thing but i dunno what its called and i think the cymbals are the big round gold or silver or whatever things? lol
a bunch of ppl keep telling me i wont be able to play cuz im a girl, i cant wait to prove them wrong lol

a standard kit consists of a snare, a bass drum, 3 toms small medium and floor (in that order from the snare), hi hats, crash and ride cymbals, sticks and a stool.

The 4 major parts of the kit are the Hi Hats, Snare, Bass drum (the one you use you're foot for) and the sticks (duh!).

Try mastering those 4 first before you venture around the kit!
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
July 3rd, 2005 at 06:03pm
okay but i have no idea which drum is which like which one is a tom or a snare or whatever lol ill figure it out when i get my kit
Franny.
Franny.
July 3rd, 2005 at 06:47pm
Basketcase463:
okay but i have no idea which drum is which like which one is a tom or a snare or whatever lol ill figure it out when i get my kit

the one thats usually put in between your legs (hehe) is the snare. the thing with a pedal and on your left with like two cymbols closing against each other is the high hat. the thing with a pedal and you use your right food to just hit is the bass drum. the tom toms are in front of you that stick beside each other. on your right side you may have single floor toms. then everything thats a cymbol is a cymbol which has different names like splash or crash or ride. hope that helps a bit lol.
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
July 3rd, 2005 at 06:49pm
thanx but if i have a used beginner kit will it have all those? mines only coming with 5 pieces, to begin with i have to buy the rest myself
Franny.
Franny.
July 3rd, 2005 at 06:53pm
Basketcase463:
thanx but if i have a used beginner kit will it have all those? mines only coming with 5 pieces, to begin with i have to buy the rest myself

so beginner would have a snare, a high hat, a bass drum, the tom toms, and a cymbol. thats a beginner kit i think =P
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
July 3rd, 2005 at 09:49pm
im drum stupid so i dunno the difference lol Embarassed
Franny.
Franny.
July 3rd, 2005 at 09:50pm
Basketcase463:
im drum stupid so i dunno the difference lol Embarassed

lol its ok. when you get your set it will label what's what anyway.
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
July 3rd, 2005 at 10:34pm
im getting it next week! im excited and someone taught me paradiddles (sp?) and ive been hitting my bedstand with pens trying to do it lol, my moms gonna be mad cuz i chipped off a lot of paint but o well lol
Franny.
Franny.
July 3rd, 2005 at 10:53pm
Basketcase463:
im getting it next week! im excited and someone taught me paradiddles (sp?) and ive been hitting my bedstand with pens trying to do it lol, my moms gonna be mad cuz i chipped off a lot of paint but o well lol

lol. lucky you, my drummer had to wait sooo long for a drumset. he finally got his though and hes so happy with it cuz it was a good price and has a bunch of pieces with his favorite cymbal. he told me also that the chick who sold it to him (shes moving) toured with green day a long time back. i dunno if it's true but i'll believe her cuz people only lie to you bout this stuff when the person who is buying is actually a green day fan, my drummer isnt lol.
Basketcase463
Basketcase463
July 4th, 2005 at 10:27pm
6 more days!!!!
Register