Jackass
Gilly the Goldfish
August 8th, 2005 at 08:42am
Dom:
NeoSteph:
Dom:
Eleanor Rigby:
Ipod:
Mm... i doubt that would have happened anyway...i mean there's still hitler to think about...mm...

correct me if i'm wrong but these bombs were dropped post victory in europe day, am i right?
so no, there was no hitler to think about.

there was victory in Europe, but no victory in Japan at that point. So there was the Japanese leader to worry about (sorry i don't know his name).

Koki Hirota

Thank you, and on your other point about Japan having no troops left, in a documentary about Hiroshima i saw last night it mentioned the Japanese having 3 million troops and 5000 planes. I don't know how accurate this is though.

i watched that it really showed me the devsestating effects the bomb had I'm now not sure what to think about dropping the bomb
The Waiting Unknown
Geek
The Waiting Unknown

Mibba
August 8th, 2005 at 01:36pm
I've been to Hiroshima, and i dont ever want to again. The museum is fasinating but i found it disturbing, i dont like to think about it. mind you i was only 10.
good and bad has come out of the bombings, we now know the devistation its caused and what a terible thing it was to do. there should be no nuclear weapons in this world (america may need reminding of thier own bombs, not just the rest of the worlds)
I lost a great uncle or some distant relative.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 8th, 2005 at 01:57pm
Dom:
NeoSteph:
Dom:
Eleanor Rigby:
Ipod:
Mm... i doubt that would have happened anyway...i mean there's still hitler to think about...mm...

correct me if i'm wrong but these bombs were dropped post victory in europe day, am i right?

there was victory in Europe, but no victory in Japan at that point. So there was the Japanese leader to worry about (sorry i don't know his name).

Koki Hirota

Thank you, and on your other point about Japan having no troops left, in a documentary about Hiroshima i saw last night it mentioned the Japanese having 3 million troops and 5000 planes. I don't know how accurate this is though.

They had up to 25 million people to fight, however they had nothing to fight with, it would of been lambs to the slaughter.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 8th, 2005 at 02:00pm
zdf_jammin:
well.. i disagree, saying they had no regard for human life is saying a lot, and somewhat ignorant of you to say.

im not saying dropping the bombs was 100% just, but saying that the war would have been over in a month is mere speculation

I'm curious how does that make me ignorant?

A scientist is supposed to be a pacifist, they take oaths that any new invension should be put to good use, they used it to kill millionds of innoncent women and children.

No one has actually mentioned about how the second bomb was dropped in the wrong place, so that goes to show how they put an immense power in the hands of inexperiance.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
August 8th, 2005 at 02:14pm
NeoSteph:
Dom:
NeoSteph:
Dom:
Eleanor Rigby:
Ipod:

Koki Hirota

They had up to 25 million people to fight, however they had nothing to fight with, it would of been lambs to the slaughter.

that is true, they would gave only been fighting against people with bayonettes. they had no guns.
Kitti
Falling In Love With The Board
Kitti
August 8th, 2005 at 04:20pm
everyone argues about japan and stuff, but russia has been mentioned, and i think this bit is important.
26 million russian sodiers and civilians died during world war II. twenty six million. and nobody gives it a second thought.
do you have any idea how much nuclear technology the us has? even now? more than you realize, ill tell you that right now. we dont need nukes. ill say it again. WE DONT NEED NUKES. we have most of the worlds capitol...what do we really need bombs for?
furthermore, the rest of the world was financially fucked at that point. we didnt need bombs, they couldnt have held out much longer, they had no money!
Dom
Jackass
Dom
August 8th, 2005 at 04:39pm
paradoxical:
everyone argues about japan and stuff, but russia has been mentioned, and i think this bit is important.
26 million russian sodiers and civilians died during world war II. twenty six million. and nobody gives it a second thought.
do you have any idea how much nuclear technology the us has? even now? more than you realize, ill tell you that right now. we dont need nukes. ill say it again. WE DONT NEED NUKES. we have most of the worlds capitol...what do we really need bombs for?
furthermore, the rest of the world was financially fucked at that point. we didnt need bombs, they couldnt have held out much longer, they had no money!

you need nukes, because other countries have them. Either all countries have nukes or none have them. You see, because if you didn't have nukes and another country did they would have the upper hand on you. And i can't see all countries agreeing to give up their nucleur weapons.
Kitti
Kitti
August 8th, 2005 at 05:47pm
maybe, MAYBE my problem is that i am so at peace with the world that i cant see why people need to kill each other. or maybe (very likely) its that in the "good ol' US of A" we have a very hefty double standard in our wmd policy and it pisses me off. i think if we just listened to each other we wouldnt have to kill each other, and if we stopped the killingness, we wouldnt need nukes and we could get rid of them all. or we could have been smart and not ever developed them. its incredibly naive to have thought, "oh we'll make a nuke just to see if we can and if we can, then nobody will ever use it..." human nature. its naive. like communism.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 8th, 2005 at 11:26pm
The reason russian never gets mentioned is because it was a communist country when 26 milliong people were killed, so the figures of world war II weren't released until Russia went democratic in the mid 80's. More information is slowly coming out, i mean if you go on any historical website there will be reports on how another mass grave has just been found 60 years after it was dug.

The real findings of Russia will never been known because it's such a tight nit country, half of which is bare ground because it is unlivable.

Stalin was so good at covering up, 60 years on we still don't know half the things he got up too.
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 9th, 2005 at 01:16am
Eleanor Rigby:
zdf_jammin:
well.. i disagree, saying they had no regard for human life is saying a lot, and somewhat ignorant of you to say.

im not saying dropping the bombs was 100% just, but saying that the war would have been over in a month is mere speculation
curious if you can justify what they did in any moral way...show me what regard they had for the million lives that were lost?

im sure as hell they felt sorrow for it, their job was to make it. even einstein said himself he regretted it. but look, as dehumanizing as it is, when it came down to it, it saved the most lives, esp. american, and in war, thats what counts, and the other person who said more lives would have been lost through fighting, its true. and the way they japanese were back then was mind-set, no way were they going to sign a peace treaty, unless of course, we did that. it was inevitable.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 9th, 2005 at 01:20am
zdf_jammin:
Eleanor Rigby:
zdf_jammin:

curious if you can justify what they did in any moral way...show me what regard they had for the million lives that were lost?

im sure as hell they felt sorrow for it, their job was to make it. even einstein said himself he regretted it. but look, as dehumanizing as it is, when it came down to it, it saved the most lives, esp. american, and in war, thats what counts, and the other person who said more lives would have been lost through fighting, its true. and the way they japanese were back then was mind-set, no way were they going to sign a peace treaty, unless of course, we did that. it was inevitable.

The problem is they didn't know what it would do, it could of killed off the entire world, to much energy in one place is catastrophic, they took a risk which they believed to be calculated. I'm sure they felt sorry for it afterwards, but that doesn't forgive what they've done. And on record it was only Einsteing that publicly apologoised for his involvement in the atomic bomb. As a known pacifist he believed it to be his greatest regret.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 9th, 2005 at 05:29pm
Dom:
paradoxical:

you need nukes, because other countries have them. Either all countries have nukes or none have them. You see, because if you didn't have nukes and another country did they would have the upper hand on you. And i can't see all countries agreeing to give up their nucleur weapons.
America won't certainly give up theirs.

It's because everyone's lost trust in eachother.
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 9th, 2005 at 07:34pm
chaos theory-your enemys evolve, so must you.

theres no way people are going to go back down from evolving
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 9th, 2005 at 07:39pm
zdf_jammin:
chaos theory-your enemys evolve, so must you.

theres no way people are going to go back down from evolving

*retrieves loin cloth and spear* i'm sure as hell going to try. Wink

The cold war is the biggest example of two countrys acting like children 'my guns bigger than your gun''

I think the best anyone can do is forget that man has this technology, keep an openmind about what people are capable of, but you can't live your life in fear.
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 10th, 2005 at 12:14am
who is it that said, there is nothing to fear but fear itself? i think it was roosevelt during the depression, not totally sure.
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 10th, 2005 at 12:17am
zdf_jammin:
who is it that said, there is nothing to fear but fear itself? i think it was roosevelt during the depression, not totally sure.

Franklin D. Roosevelt, yep yep
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 10th, 2005 at 12:20am
exactly, and that can be the basis of a lot of things, shame you can put it on this to. -fear of the enemy-
NeoSteph
Basket Case
NeoSteph

Mibba Blog
August 10th, 2005 at 12:23am
zdf_jammin:
exactly, and that can be the basis of a lot of things, shame you can put it on this to. -fear of the enemy-

''an enemy is someone to regard as a friend'', i don't know who said this but i would like to meet them
zdf_jammin
Geek
zdf_jammin
August 10th, 2005 at 12:36am
i think it says in the bible that the worse revenge to an enemy is treating them like your friend. but you cant really do that in war, you could relate it, but i think its more applicable to normal life, wars not normal
Kitti
Kitti
August 10th, 2005 at 03:33pm
the bible also says thou shalt not kill. IRONICALLY enough, the christian faith has been responsible for so many wars...(i. e. four crusades against the muslims in the middle east in the 11th thru 13th centuries alone)
so id say leave christianity and the bible out of the psychology of war...
Register