Home schooling.

AuthorMessage
Rockaway Beach
Jackass
Rockaway Beach
August 10th, 2006 at 12:53am
Sheepo@_@:
It could be good...it could be bad.
To me, I think if your homeschooled you do lack social skills, might make it hard to get a job OR even go through college. Ive heard that it puts you way back education wise.

I'm homeschooled, and i've found it so much better than school.
I get to learn about stuff that really interests me, like Egyptology, Sociology, English Lit. Sometimes i can just play my drums all day, and its still seen as schoolwork.

I can see what people mean by the social skills thing. Personally, i've always been quite shy but i've found it no more difficult to socialize with people or ask about jobs then when i was at school.

Lots of parents take out lots of actions so that their kids can mingle with other kids their age, like clubs or playgroups, maybe other parents friends. Some see that as an expensive option, but in my experience its really not that tough going. Every town library or main centre (where they have swimming pools, places for events to take place ect.) should have at least 2 or 3 free services. And if they don't, they should!

Personally, i've never really been a big fan or these clubs (mainly because i basically despise every kid my age where i live. They're all morons.) and i've turned out perfectly fine.
Rockaway Beach
Jackass
Rockaway Beach
August 10th, 2006 at 01:42am
Tre's wife:
It just depends on the child. Some kids are more social than others, whether they're in a school or not.
I'm homschooled, and I don't have trouble talking to people. It seems weird that if being home schooled is so bad in some peoples opinion, why is it that every time I tell someone that I'm home schooled they say I'm so lucky?

Same with me!
Everyone is always jealous, especially when i tell them i get to have lie ins ^_^
Woodrow Derenberger
Woodrow Derenberger
August 10th, 2006 at 02:21am
I had been homeschool from January to June. I had to be homeschool because I was very sick. in my opinion it isnt the best option. I felt socially deprived and lonely. I didnt have any friends when I was at school, but at least i got to be around other people.

I did better on my work while I was home schooled. But just everyday interactions like when my friends from school would visit me I felt a bit shy.

In my case, being homeschooled was not a good expeirience...but thats just my case. I'm a highly social person and I need other people around me. for a person that is more shy, it may be better for them
Hilda the Hag
Geek
Hilda the Hag
September 12th, 2006 at 05:57pm
homeschooling pulled me out of my shell because i was forced to have 1 on 1 contact with my teacher and the other homeschoolers.i didnt get that in "real"school,i was just lost in all the noise and distractions(i have a.d.d)and i hateded asking for help from anyone cause i always think i should just know the answer and consiquently fell really behind.but in homeschooling,i can take my 1 or 2 classes a week,see my buddies,and puzzle things out in my own sweet time.because of it i get to have more animals,i have more free time,and i do my work in half the time it would at school.its gotta be better than sitting there drooling out of complete bordom!and the sleeping in is ok too. +plus im graduating early.

its not for everyone,but it works for some.
Brendon Urie..
King For A Couple Of Days
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
September 13th, 2006 at 01:19am
If you do it right, home school.
Personally, I believe non-home schooling is better for the social reasons.
My sister was home-school and in public school. She prefers public.
I would NEVER home school my children.

Edit
Then again, I had a friend who went through a rather horrific experience, and home schooling was much better for her than a social setting.

So, I suppose ... extreme situations like hers I might.
American Nimrod
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
American Nimrod
September 13th, 2006 at 03:15pm
Thats why ya go to a regular school first.
American Nimrod
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
American Nimrod
September 13th, 2006 at 03:18pm
Actually I'ts a choice between Private School or HomeSchool.
Simone
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Simone
October 20th, 2006 at 11:05pm
i think home schooling should be avoided as much as possible, going to school gives children so much more than an education. While some parents may think that by sending children to school is a bad idea because they may be bullied or mau witness behaviour or even be persuaded to partake in behaviour which they don't condone such as drugs, alcohol, swearing etc, it will be worse on the child if they first come across these things when they are a fully grown adult.
If a child has the opportunity to be enrolled at an educational institution which provides an overall safe environment in which the child can learn there is absolutely no reason why the child should be home schooled.
Forever~Fallen
Geek
Forever~Fallen
October 27th, 2006 at 12:33am
coming from a person who is home schooled and never been too a public school before i don't recomend it i want to got to a public school next year but i don't know if i could do it i mean i have absolutely know idea what it is like, i'm sure the school work would be alot harder than what i'm use to and i'm not use to socializing so much which would make it very difficult to fit in. but i really hate being home schooled. i have know idea what to do and it sucks big time Sad
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
October 27th, 2006 at 12:41am
Forever~Fallen:
i'm sure the school work would be alot harder than what i'm use to

If you are homeschooled legally and properly, you have to cover the same material as any school.
Matty.
Matty.
October 27th, 2006 at 01:51am
Just about everyone i know that is home schooled is a freak...you need to be around other people and learn how to be around other humans every day
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
October 27th, 2006 at 02:08am
Fine After All:
Just about everyone i know that is home schooled is a freak...you need to be around other people and learn how to be around other humans every day

Perhaps it's you that needs to learn how to be around other people. That was an extremely judgemental statement to make, and I assure you, you won't function well with those around you in society if you're constantly insulting them and refering to them as 'freaks'.
Matty.
Matty.
October 27th, 2006 at 02:18am
Dita.Von.Teese.:
Fine After All:

Perhaps it's you that needs to learn how to be around other people. That was an extremely judgemental statement to make, and I assure you, you won't function well with those around you in society if you're constantly insulting them and refering to them as 'freaks'.

I said all of the people that i know that do home school are freaks. There is one that walks around town once a week with greasy hair and thinks he is emo. He is 17 years old and often has sex with his 13 year old girlfriend. None of his clothes fit and the first time i met him he said to me "i got so drunk last night i sucked my own dick" -- now tell me hes not a freak

I'm not saying all people that do home school are "freaks" because obviously i dont know everybody that does home school. But if you grow up and never interect with other kids your going to have something missing in life. Stop going around the forum trying to put everybody down and make yourself look smart by quoting everything thats said
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
October 27th, 2006 at 02:28am
Fine After All:

I said all of the people that i know that do home school are freaks. There is one that walks around town once a week with greasy hair and thinks he is emo. He is 17 years old and often has sex with his 13 year old girlfriend. None of his clothes fit and the first time i met him he said to me "i got so drunk last night i sucked my own dick" -- now tell me hes not a freak

I'm not saying all people that do home school are "freaks" because obviously i dont know everybody that does home school. But if you grow up and never interect with other kids your going to have something missing in life. Stop going around the forum trying to put everybody down and make yourself look smart by quoting everything thats said

You just proved my point even more, now you're judging people based on how they look? And what gives you the right to judge him and his girlfriend, age is only a number. Your age does not determine your level of maturity at all. I think you need to quit assuming things about people. I gladly tell you he isnt a freak.

I disagree with what you said, school is more than just a social experience, it's about the knowledge you gain. You can get social experience from many places outside of school.
Sorry to inform you of this... but quoting people is how you have a discussion. I am in no way putting you down, however I am saying that being judgmental isnt a positive trait to have. Believe it or not, some of us use the forum correctly and make contributions to the discussion, instead of just making pointless random posts that have been said 1000 times before.
gd'sDiana
Geek
gd'sDiana
October 28th, 2006 at 01:08pm
i think it's bad and no one should do it... Smile
Forever~Fallen
Geek
Forever~Fallen
October 29th, 2006 at 01:32am
if a 17 year old is sleeping with a 13 year old you think that is okay? age dosn't always matter it would be different if he was like 26 and she was 23 but 13 come on? and i think that me being home schooled and being around my mom and sister so much drove me to hate them and vise versa.
IsabellaJade
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
IsabellaJade
October 31st, 2006 at 01:52pm
i am home shooled because my parents didnt like what i was learning i veen in scince 2nd grade im in 6th now and i an so shy i dont even look at manny pepole at school now
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
October 31st, 2006 at 10:34pm
AdelineGirl666:
i am home shooled because my parents didnt like what i was learning i veen in scince 2nd grade im in 6th now and i an so shy i dont even look at manny pepole at school now
Confused I thought you didn't go to school. Isn't that part of the definition of home-schooling?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
October 31st, 2006 at 10:37pm
Forever~Fallen:
if a 17 year old is sleeping with a 13 year old you think that is okay? age dosn't always matter it would be different if he was like 26 and she was 23 but 13 come on? and i think that me being home schooled and being around my mom and sister so much drove me to hate them and vise versa.
It's just a shock for you because she is young. Age gaps do close as people get older, but this girl seems to be aging in a more sexual way.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
October 31st, 2006 at 10:51pm
Dita.Von.Teese.:
I disagree with what you said, school is more than just a social experience, it's about the knowledge you gain.
What kind of knowledge do you mean?

When children are younger, the teachers are supposed to be trained in basic child care techniques which will help them with interaction with other children. They are very delicately taught. My friend is studying to become a teacher and he told me the other day that if you think teaching A Level or IB or even GCSE is hard, it is absolutely no comparison with teaching a kindergarten or reception or pre-school class. Teaching social skills which, if you look at your old report cards, is actually a big part of your grade, teaching common sense which is one of the most imprtant things a person can have, and teaching independence, dependence, all these mental and social things are all important for the rest of their lives. To take that away from a child at school, who should be learning amongst others in order to flourish as a kid, isn't really the greatest idea. In my opinion anyways.
Register