Is being educated not cool?

AuthorMessage
Pickle
Geek
Pickle

Mibba
August 28th, 2006 at 03:34pm
Who cares if it's not cool in the eyes of some people. You are you. You hold your life in your own hands and you make the decisions that determine and define your life. You can fall in line with the rest and hope for the best or you could stand on your own, choose the road less traveled, and know that you did something better than the rest and have something to be proud of.
Love my insanity
Jackass
Love my insanity
September 23rd, 2006 at 11:35pm
I knew some girl who always acted dumb, and her excuse whenever she did something "stupid" was the fact that she is blonde. Hair color had nothing to do with it. It was an act. I knew her and she was very deep at moments and she acted dumb to make herself fit some sort of blonde stereotype people have.
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
September 24th, 2006 at 09:50pm
I hate school and I hate learning stuff I'm not going to need, but I try my best in school. I know if I don't I'll have a crumby job and won't be happy. That's why I plan to go to college and get a good job. I'd love to be in a famous rock band or something, but I know that's never going to happen so I have to try the next best thing.
Love my insanity
Jackass
Love my insanity
September 24th, 2006 at 10:38pm
Have_A_Green_Fucking_Day:
I hate school and I hate learning stuff I'm not going to need, but I try my best in school. I know if I don't I'll have a crumby job and won't be happy. That's why I plan to go to college and get a good job. I'd love to be in a famous rock band or something, but I know that's never going to happen so I have to try the next best thing.

I also wanna be in a rock/punk band. Whether its underground or not. But I need a back up plan like you said. So I guess i kinda try in school.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 25th, 2006 at 08:04am
I get the impression that one day I'm going to be one of these people with all these qualifications, and doctrine degrees, and stuff, who sits around in her almost empty apartment, doing nothing with her life.

I mean, apparently I have very high prospects in my sciences, especially biology. I've been working on my chemistry to bring up my biology. I am really good at physics. So all my science teachers think I will end up getting a degree of some sorts, in most possibly bioecodiversity. And for phsycology, I really want to pursue it. I'm already doing a very challenging music course and am taking part in a prestigeous festival thing. I'm in a monster of an orchestra. I do art every single day. I got really good IGCSE marks. My IB maths was pretty good.

Just, I don't know what to do next...

Like, what come now you know? Very annoying. Once I finish all my exams, I'm probably going to move either back to my parents, or go get my own place back home, or do some crazy three month trip thing to 'find out where my heart is' sorta thing that you hear about. But I don't think I'll ever get a job, or at least I job I would like. It's the most damning feeling ever.
mikey_molester
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
mikey_molester
September 25th, 2006 at 09:07am
im from a public school from austraila
there are real idiots at are school and they class me as the nerd... but they havent even got to know me......
it seem to me it uncool to go on to VCE...theres a shitload of peer pressure to muck up and take drugs, cut yourself, get drunk every night, ect.... and everybody (well most people) hate me because i dont give in to peer presure and om smarter than the average yr 9..
and yes i like nerdy stuff and i wont say im not a nerd because that will be lying but it just piss me off that they think they can bully and peer presure the smart one to make them dumber....
but this is our world and we have to live with it.. it not suddenly going to get better!
but i will have faith
that one day the younger sociality will come to there sense like us Smile
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 25th, 2006 at 09:20am
mikey_molester:
im from a public school from austraila
there are real idiots at are school and they class me as the nerd... but they havent even got to know me......
it seem to me it uncool to go on to VCE...theres a shitload of peer pressure to muck up and take drugs, cut yourself, get drunk every night, ect.... and everybody (well most people) hate me because i dont give in to peer presure and om smarter than the average yr 9..
and yes i like nerdy stuff and i wont say im not a nerd because that will be lying but it just piss me off that they think they can bully and peer presure the smart one to make them dumber....
but this is our world and we have to live with it.. it not suddenly going to get better!
but i will have faith
that one day the younger sociality will come to there sense like us Smile
You joined on my birthday. Cool
BehindBlueEyes
Jackass
BehindBlueEyes
September 25th, 2006 at 09:56am
it really depends what you want to do, in my opinion you should be allowed choose all the subjects you do. i mean i for one do want to go to college and that means being educated but others who want to somting that doesnt involve college i have nothing against them either. i dont think its uncool to be smart and i dont think its un cool not to be ither, its a persoanl choice....
Stark Raving Lefty.
Idiot
Stark Raving Lefty.
September 28th, 2006 at 08:50am
It doesn't matter if it's cool or not, I don't think, but I'd prefer to be educated and know what's going on in the world than staying in a little Me-world bubble. And it does make for better conversations - especially with people more mature/older than you - to know about current affairs.
Ghostie.
Geek
Ghostie.

Blog
January 17th, 2007 at 09:52pm
Kurtni:
How is this a serious topic? IS being intelligent cool? Seriously, you see all these people with dreams to do great things, but actually doing your math homework would result in being burned at the stake in the social chain, but who fucking cares? When your the person who finds the cure to the common cold or wins a nobel prize, they will be the one's waiting in the unemployment line.

It's a big thing because we are the future of the nation and there's kids out there who couldnt give a crap if they pass school or not. Society is going down the toilet. It worries me to see all of these fasion-obsessed people out there who dont care about anything. If that trend continues, it'll really screw up the world. So, going beyond it being 'cool', this is a very deep matter.

As for me, I'm a 'geek' beacuse I get good grades and obey the rules at school. It's like it's cool to be a rude dumbass these days. Sure, I'm pretty rebellious and I do rebel against the stupid things at school, but I dont go and make a fool of myself just for the hell of it. Yeah, I voice my opinion and tell people what I think, but I'm not a trouble maker and I try hard. Oh well. And guess what. I've never been cool. Big freaking deal.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
January 18th, 2007 at 08:59am
The standard of North American schools have lower standards than schools from other parts of the world. What do people make out of that?
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
January 18th, 2007 at 12:16pm
Anji:
The standard of North American schools have lower standards than schools from other parts of the world. What do people make out of that?

Because recently, kids have not been trying enough. In some areas, it gets to the point where school is either a social nightmare or a popularity contest and no one cares. Also, divorce rates and single parents contribute because there usually isn't anyone to make sure the kid is doing well. I think everyone's read that Mike quote about how he talked to his mom. She was apparently acting all concerned about something trivial and he was like "If you're going to care, then care all the time. Playing mom once a year doesn't cut it." I don't really know how well he did in school, but it's an example.

Bill Gates recently said that if the kids are too stupid, he's not going to hire them. And its true. If it continues, twenty years from now, people are going to be bitching about how foreigners are taking their jobs. Ya know why? Because they didn't drop out of school or pass with a 2.0 GPA.

Also, Anji, is IB that US-based eleventh and twelfth grade thing? Because I'm thinking about applying for that next year.
Kristmas_Tsanne
Great Success!
Kristmas_Tsanne

Blog
January 18th, 2007 at 02:37pm
In my class, its cool to act like you dont care about what the teachers are trying to tech you. Its cool if you get a high grade, but if you get a lower one, its most likely to go 'Oh well Laughing'
I guess im known as the "funny nerd" in my class. I laugh a lot and i can make other people laugh. Im also kind of the walking dictionary in the class. If someone is uncertain about how to say a certain phrase in English or how to spell a certain word, they ask me. I like that. That they know i wanna help them if they ask.

So, its respected to know things, but if you dont care about the learning, its fine. That seems to be the deal in my class, anyway.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
January 18th, 2007 at 03:47pm
Anji:
I get the impression that one day I'm going to be one of these people with all these qualifications, and doctrine degrees, and stuff, who sits around in her almost empty apartment, doing nothing with her life.

I mean, apparently I have very high prospects in my sciences, especially biology. I've been working on my chemistry to bring up my biology. I am really good at physics. So all my science teachers think I will end up getting a degree of some sorts, in most possibly bioecodiversity. And for phsycology, I really want to pursue it. I'm already doing a very challenging music course and am taking part in a prestigeous festival thing. I'm in a monster of an orchestra. I do art every single day. I got really good IGCSE marks. My IB maths was pretty good.

Just, I don't know what to do next...

Like, what come now you know? Very annoying. Once I finish all my exams, I'm probably going to move either back to my parents, or go get my own place back home, or do some crazy three month trip thing to 'find out where my heart is' sorta thing that you hear about. But I don't think I'll ever get a job, or at least I job I would like. It's the most damning feeling ever.
I absolutely agree with you, I am like that too.

I don't think we need to debate this. Ok so being smart isn't cool. Well if you think it is important to actually learn something at school and you like that why would you care if someone else doesn't think the same way. So I have the best grades in my class and I was called a nerd. I didn't care at all, I kept doing my homework, I kept studying and learning new things. And now I am smarter then some other kids (not that grades always show your real knowledge) and that makes me proud. Its their problem if they think being smart is uncool, not mine, and I have no intention in worrying if they donut get proper education. They don't want it in the first place.
Magazine Sickness.
Geek
Magazine Sickness.

Mibba Blog
January 19th, 2007 at 12:18pm
I'm not stupid.
The advanced classes I completed last year proved that but..
SCHOOL MAKES ME FEEL STUPID.

I suck at maths and nobody gives a fuck about how well you do in English
or public speaking which are two of the things Im best at.

Most teachers I have hate me; despite me making efforts to get them to like me and treat me how they would treat everyone else in the class.

My english teacher loathed me with an extreme passion for two solid semesters.
During those semesters I asked to be put in the Advanced English Classes for the following year. Simply because if I'm not in those classes I get bored shitless in the average class and distract everyone else.

And you guessed it, the bitch didn't recommend me.
It wasnt my work that wasnt up to scratch, it wasn't my attitude towards my studies,
everything was at a good standard; there was absolutley no need to not recommend me.

Then after that she started to like me.
I guess she realised I wasn't a complete idiot.

&then.. we were asked to do talks about our opinions on things.
So I talked about Hurricane Katrina and how slow the american services were etc..

Well, even though everyone in my class listened fully to my talk, learnt something AND it met the criteria, had a good deliverence it still got a bad mark.

It is teachers like this that make me loathe school.
You try and you try and you dont get anywhere.

BTW; I spoke to my good friend who is like.. the head of the English Department of my school and he got me into his advanced english class for this year :]

Maybe she didnt like me because I owned at creating uproars.
Like.. those giant class discusssions that include everyone and actually does something.

:] yay for making differences.
Magazine Sickness.
Geek
Magazine Sickness.

Mibba Blog
January 19th, 2007 at 12:25pm
Another story..

One girl in my class.. everyone knows shes the slut, right?
She constantly talks about who she did last night etc etc

Well my social studies teacher had my book for three weeks.
All the work was done, he didnt mark it and failed me because he said he didnt get my book.

Then this girl who never did any work got an A.
Lyn-Z
Geek
Lyn-Z
January 20th, 2007 at 03:24pm
I have a above averge I.Q, but nobody judges me by it; most people like me more because I'm not a total dumbass, but I still know how to have lots of fun and be stupid just not with books.
Minority_Under_Dog
Falling In Love With The Board
Minority_Under_Dog

Blog
January 20th, 2007 at 04:12pm
One girl in my school tries s hard to fit in with the popular scene. She wears the shortest skirts ever even when its freezing outside. And this week we had midterms and most people (not the "popular" kids) just go to school in old sweatpants/jeans and a t-shirt cause no one cares. but this girls outfit must have cost over $1000 with the UGG boots and the abercrombie and the make-up among other items (including her un-needed sunglasses, on a day it was raining).

I overheard her talking in gym class about how 3 of her teachers told her to drop the 'pretty girl' act and start taking classes sierously. instead of thinking about it she told everyone that her teachers were biased against her because she happened to be pretty...Rolling Eyes
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
January 20th, 2007 at 06:40pm
I'm pretty much stupid.
I get worthless grades and fail at school.
I wish I could do better.
I wish I was better.

Here, it has nothing to do with being cool.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
January 20th, 2007 at 06:43pm
here its not really about grades.
more of how you act in class.
shouting bad words and not getting sent to the office makes you funny and popular.
while kids [like me] who are trying to focus can't because its funny and makes class for all of their little friends exciting..
Register