World War One

AuthorMessage
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
February 24th, 2007 at 09:11am
My granddad was a firefighter in World War I.
spill_no_sick
Falling In Love With The Board
spill_no_sick
February 24th, 2007 at 02:57pm
Austria-Hungary
and as I said, it was just a spark
rehabreject
Jackass
rehabreject
February 24th, 2007 at 04:50pm
Coming back to the matter at hand; it's almost impossible to judge whether a war was needed or not.

Going by Neosteph's oh-so helpful bulletin - it was Austria-Hungary who made the first move in declaring war on Serbia in order to cement their influence in the Balkans. Tied down by a number of treaties, nations around Europe were forced to enter the war in order to stop Austria-Hungary and her allies advancing.

You could argue that our own countires were wrong to enter the war - but the likelyhood of peace talks would have been slim as A-H willingly declared war even when there were no former threats to itself.

I think the real question is - Could the war have been ended sooner, sparing thousands of lives?
John Entwistle
Great Success!
John Entwistle
February 25th, 2007 at 12:49am
In my opinion it was a pointless war. And then World War II happened. If WWI wouldn't have happened WWII probably wouldn't have happened. Though who knows what would have happened. We'll never know.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
February 25th, 2007 at 03:13am
The advancements in machinery, not war machinery, but machinery in general, and mass production were astounding during World War I. Industrial revolution and advancement reached a peak during the war because of the need for food, arms, weapons, and other such stuff.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 25th, 2007 at 06:46am
No war is ever necessary.

A s s a s s i n a t i o n
Learn it please.
rollerpig
GSBitch
rollerpig
February 25th, 2007 at 08:35am
No war is needed, but we'll never learn that. =|
rehabreject
Jackass
rehabreject
February 25th, 2007 at 08:43am
Bloodraine:
I repeat, if it was Austria-Hungary who declared war first of their own accord, it must have been nessesary for them in order to gain power.
A war becomes unessesary if the dispute could have been solved by other, peaceful methods. In this case, it doesn't look like Austria-Hungary was looking for a compromise.
Kelly Khaos
Idiot
Kelly Khaos

Mibba Blog
February 25th, 2007 at 10:14am
i'm studying WWI in school now and it did seem like a spontaneous thing
after Franz Ferdinand got assasinated, everybody started pointing fingers
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
February 25th, 2007 at 10:25am
Ha Ha! You're Dead!:
Flaming Phalanges!:
Ha Ha! You're Dead!:
peeingchicken:
i want a peacful world

if there was peace in the world then there is no point on living because there would be nothing to argue about and so on...

Not so much arguing about, but there would be nothing worth fighting for.

that's how you say it....
If the point of living is to fight for something, then I think humans would have died out.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 25th, 2007 at 12:05pm
rehabreject:
Bloodraine:
I repeat, if it was Austria-Hungary who declared war first of their own accord, it must have been nessesary for them in order to gain power.
A war becomes unessesary if the dispute could have been solved by other, peaceful methods. In this case, it doesn't look like Austria-Hungary was looking for a compromise.

"I repeat", no war is ever necessary.
Gaining power is not a necessity, its tyrannical.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
February 26th, 2007 at 12:41pm
Then of course televisions, art sculputres, computers, watches, books, aren't necessary, it's just materialism.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 26th, 2007 at 01:20pm
Anji:
Then of course televisions, art sculputres, computers, watches, books, aren't necessary, it's just materialism.

Taking land by force and taking a book by force is not the same thing.
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
February 26th, 2007 at 03:38pm
Bloodraine:
Anji:

Taking land by force and taking a book by force is not the same thing.
she has a point
the world would be better without it
it isn't very necessary to life at all
but, um, WE'RE FUCKING HUMAN!!!
it will always be around unless everyone on Earth except the Canadians spontaniously combust
of all the joking I do against Canadians, they have their priorities straight and we could learn a lot from them...if we would turn off MTV and CNN
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
February 26th, 2007 at 04:37pm
Bloodraine:
Well.......the thing is. If Croatia wasn't in that war with Serbia we would never have our freedom. Yugoslavia was a bad form of a country and when Tito died things started to fall apart because the "big leader" was gone. And in the end Croatia decided to declare independence. With that we declared war. We have won the war, Yugoslavia has fallen completely apart and now every ex-Yugoslavian country has its independence. Could Serbia just let us go? Sure. But they didn't. So war was a necessary thing to do.

[/offtopic]
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
February 26th, 2007 at 06:14pm
Pressure Drop:
Bloodraine:
Well.......the thing is. If Croatia wasn't in that war with Serbia we would never have our freedom. Yugoslavia was a bad form of a country and when Tito died things started to fall apart because the "big leader" was gone. And in the end Croatia decided to declare independence. With that we declared war. We have won the war, Yugoslavia has fallen completely apart and now every ex-Yugoslavian country has its independence. Could Serbia just let us go? Sure. But they didn't. So war was a necessary thing to do.

[/offtopic]
exactly, that's what makes it too idealistic to work
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
February 28th, 2007 at 12:57pm
Pressure Drop:
Bloodraine:

[/offtopic]

It was necessary to declare war and murder people?
Ohokay. I'm not even a human because I don't believe in war. You're all right, it IS 100% OKAY to murder innocent people. Yes! Fine! Completely Acceptable!
Because don't bullshit about it. Every war kills innocent people. There are no winners in war, only those that die because of it. And because of that?
I don't think any war is ever justified, simply because of the number of people who never did a thing wrong in their lives and ended up dead because of it. Serbian, Croatian, whoever, you're all "human" to me, and its never necessary to kill innocent people.

To be honest, I'd rather die a slave than go and shoot down people for my freedom. But I clearly am not a human. I clearly have something wrong with me. Gandhi's theory of nonviolence said that we should all lay down our lives rather than try to fight, and I'd rather do that. I guess I'm a freak of nature, a person who doesn't want to see other people killed because it benefits me. Lets face it; people want freedom, its good for them, so we'll kill some people and we'll get freedom and its great. Well sorry, thats just me. You all have fun shooting eachother for things that make your lives better, I'll just crawl into a hole and let them kill me.
spill_no_sick:

Thats no excuse. There must be some magical reason why I'm the only human ever to be born believing killing people for personal gain is wrong. Either that or I'm just some hairless chimpanzee. Yeah, thats probably it.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
February 28th, 2007 at 01:44pm
Bloodraine:

Ohokay. I'm not even a human because I don't believe in war. You're all right, it IS 100% OKAY to murder innocent people. Yes! Fine! Completely Acceptable!
Because don't bullshit about it. Every war kills innocent people. There are no winners in war, only those that die because of it. And because of that?
I don't think any war is ever justified, simply because of the number of people who never did a thing wrong in their lives and ended up dead because of it. Serbian, Croatian, whoever, you're all "human" to me, and its never necessary to kill innocent people.

To be honest, I'd rather die a slave than go and shoot down people for my freedom. But I clearly am not a human. I clearly have something wrong with me. Gandhi's theory of nonviolence said that we should all lay down our lives rather than try to fight, and I'd rather do that. I guess I'm a freak of nature, a person who doesn't want to see other people killed because it benefits me. Lets face it; people want freedom, its good for them, so we'll kill some people and we'll get freedom and its great. Well sorry, thats just me. You all have fun shooting eachother for things that make your lives better, I'll just crawl into a hole and let them kill me.
Whats with the sarcasm?

I never said that I support war. I never said its a good solution. No, its not. I never called you a freak cause you are saying that war is unnecessary and that peace is a better way. I think so too, I don't believe in getting what you want by murdering innocent people. I just said that war was the only thing we were left with. Yes, we got our freedom, and yes, we got it the wrong way, but it was the only way. People don't control decisions that the government makes, but no one way against our independence. We never declared war first, we declared our freedom and independence, and Serbia was against that. I am not blaming them for the war, I am not even defending my country because innocent people were killed, but I don't like that you are attacking me of something that I didn't even say. We tried peace before we tried force, but peace didn't work!
spill_no_sick
spill_no_sick
February 28th, 2007 at 03:48pm
Bloodraine:
Pressure Drop:
Bloodraine:

[/offtopic]

spill_no_sick:

Thats no excuse. There must be some magical reason why I'm the only human ever to be born believing killing people for personal gain is wrong. Either that or I'm just some hairless chimpanzee. Yeah, thats probably it.

no, I'm saying that abolishing war is too idealistic to work..why, because we're human
it's the same reason I believe communism or anarchy will never work
it's not okay to be this way, but we are and you have to understand it
there's an 80% failure rate in my Chemistry class
now, technically everyone could get an A+ in every class, even if it's taught five grade levels above where it should be
it's not an excuse, but maybe my teacher needs to quit being idealistic and take it one step at a time
you'll never abolish grades that aren't 100% or war because that's too idealistic
all we can do is take gradual steps

hey, Iraq, only 3,000 U.S. casualties
that's much better than the hundreds of thousands in almost every other major U.S. war
baby steps
Maiku's Kind Ghost
King For A Couple Of Days
Maiku's Kind Ghost

Mibba
February 28th, 2007 at 04:34pm
spill_no_sick:
Bloodraine:
Pressure Drop:
Bloodraine:

[/offtopic]

spill_no_sick:

no, I'm saying that abolishing war is too idealistic to work..why, because we're human
it's the same reason I believe communism or anarchy will never work
it's not okay to be this way, but we are and you have to understand it
there's an 80% failure rate in my Chemistry class
now, technically everyone could get an A+ in every class, even if it's taught five grade levels above where it should be
it's not an excuse, but maybe my teacher needs to quit being idealistic and take it one step at a time
you'll never abolish grades that aren't 100% or war because that's too idealistic
all we can do is take gradual steps

hey, Iraq, only 3,000 U.S. casualties
that's much better than the hundreds of thousands in almost every other major U.S. war
baby steps

But's it's still 3,000 lives of young men and women regardless.
And more over it's in a war that either should have never happened in the first place or not lasted long enough to make it up to 3,000 lives lost. And the war Isn't even close to over yet besides. and the way things are looking it might go on for a vary long time which would thus means more lives.
Register