A "Cure" for homosexuality

AuthorMessage
RammsteinROX
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
RammsteinROX

Blog
September 24th, 2007 at 11:25pm
wHAT a cure? that is so stupid to say. It is usually a life choice, i think.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
September 25th, 2007 at 12:17am
RammsteinROX:

but smoking is a choice, and suposivly there is a cure for that [didn't work for my dad but many pople have quit]
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
September 25th, 2007 at 04:55am
Can You Say OBSESSED:
RammsteinROX:

Homosexuality is not a choice.

People get killed for being gay.
People get disowned and lose friends.
Nobody would choose that.

I am bi, and I did not choose to be bisexual.

Most homosexuals are TERRIBLY mistreated by people throughout their whole lives, and to say they CHOOSE to be mistreated so is slightly disrespectfull, I think.

Also, if being homosexual were a choice, the "cure" would be choosing to be heterosexual.
Acting on their homosexuality is a choice. I worked in an elderly home for a summer, and there was one man who'd married, had children, and admitted he'd been gay the entire time, he just chose not to act on it.

I'm not saying that gay people should take that path, but I'm saying that you choose the life you want to lead.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
September 26th, 2007 at 12:57pm
Can You Say OBSESSED:
However, the "cure" isn't for how you act. It's for homosexuality.
People like the man I mentioned would want to at least attempt to try this "cure". And it's thier choice, so I think it should be respected the very least, no matter how much we personally disagree.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
September 27th, 2007 at 05:18am
Can You Say OBSESSED:
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
Can You Say OBSESSED:
However, the "cure" isn't for how you act. It's for homosexuality.
People like the man I mentioned would want to at least attempt to try this "cure". And it's thier choice, so I think it should be respected the very least, no matter how much we personally disagree.

Encouraging people to be ashamed of themselves and change to be like what society wants them to be is a good thing?

What about all the fifteen year olds that are trying to figure themselves out and are ashamed of who they are because of the other kids in their class and the comments they make? We should tell them "you have an illness, and you can be cured!" so that they can become what everyone else believes they should?
Don't you dare put words into my mouth.

I am not talking about fifteen year olds. I am talking about mature adults who have considered all possible choices and picked the one that works best for them. If they choose not to act on their homosexuality, then that's fine. It they choose to live that lifestyle, then that's fine too.

Fifteen year olds are too inexperianced to make that sort of decision, and we both know that I was not talking about them. My example was of an elderly man, who'd lived a full life and was happy with the choices he'd made. He was devoutly religious, and chose not to do something against that. We should respect his decision.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
September 27th, 2007 at 05:28am
Can You Say OBSESSED:
lmfao

No, I do not know you were not talking about them.
I know you were talking about how it is okay for us to tell human beings they are diseased and need to be cured.
Where did I say that? I've never said that, because that is not my view. I said that people are entitled to decide if they consider their homosexuality an affliction, and whether they want to attempt this so-called cure. I know many devoutly religious people, and I know how much they value their beliefs, and I know how they would react to the idea that they, themselves were homosexual.

I think it's ridiculous to say that everyone, everywhere, no matter what their personal beliefs, should live a certain type of lifestyle because YOU believe that.

People should be free to decide if they wish to openly declare themselves homosexual, take partners etc. If they feel they would be happier by not doing this, then who are you to say they should.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
September 27th, 2007 at 05:37am
Can You Say OBSESSED:
You say it's okay to have a cure for homosexuality, right?
Are cures not for diseased?

People should not be ashamed of themselves. Putting out a "cure" would be saying "this is a disease, here's the fix!!"
You are not listening to what I'm saying.

Regardless of the cure. REGARDLESS. I am saying that people will choose the lifestyle that benefits them. If they are ashamed of their homosexuality, so be it. It's not your place to drag them kicking and screaming from the closet.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
September 27th, 2007 at 05:43am
Can You Say OBSESSED:
It is not anybody's place to call a sexuality a disease.
And I have not called it that. Not once.

I said that if people wished to believe in a "cure" then it's their choice.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
September 27th, 2007 at 05:50am
Can You Say OBSESSED:
So what are cures used for?

Are cures not used for illnesses?
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Once again, if someone wishes to view their homosexuality as an affliction or disease, there's nothing you can do about it, nor is it your place to.

People have something called free will, look it up. They can view themselves anyway they want, and there's nothing you can do about it.
trisha_goes_rawr
Geek
trisha_goes_rawr
December 13th, 2007 at 11:26pm
that's horrible.

i support homosexuality, it's not killing anyone unless they are having unprotected sex right? just like any striaght person. and it's not affecting anyone else who is straight so people need to stop whineing about it and get over it. homosexuality isn't a disease geeze..
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
December 14th, 2007 at 03:07am
trisha_goes_rawr:
that's horrible.

i support homosexuality, it's not killing anyone unless they are having unprotected sex right? just like any striaght person. and it's not affecting anyone else who is straight so people need to stop whineing about it and get over it. homosexuality isn't a disease geeze..
It's a person's choice whether or not they accept their sexuality. If they want to attempt this "cure" then they're well within their rights.
anti-christ of suburbia
Idiot
anti-christ of suburbia

Mibba
December 18th, 2007 at 11:57am
People do have the right to choose, but really, isnt choosing not to do it a 'cure' in itself? The whole cure thing, if that's what those people want its up to them, but im worried about what OTHER people will say. Generally, people associate a 'cure' with a 'disease' and it would be possible that, if there was a widely available 'cure' for homosexuality, many people would see it as a disease, and that's not going to do much for the confidence of homosexuals themselves if people see them as 'ill'
Diana_a7x
Geek
Diana_a7x

Blog
December 18th, 2007 at 04:06pm
anti-christ of suburbia:
People do have the right to choose, but really, isnt choosing not to do it a 'cure' in itself? The whole cure thing, if that's what those people want its up to them, but im worried about what OTHER people will say. Generally, people associate a 'cure' with a 'disease' and it would be possible that, if there was a widely available 'cure' for homosexuality, many people would see it as a disease, and that's not going to do much for the confidence of homosexuals themselves if people see them as 'ill'

Sorry If I'm off topic here, but when you said people have a choice to choose from?
Meaning if A female think she might be a lesbian, and knows its wrong because supposively in the real world only heterosexuals have been accepted, according to fucking society, she will associate herself more with the opposite sex?(males)
The Doctor
Falling In Love With The Board
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
December 18th, 2007 at 04:12pm
It depends on what suits them, if I'm honest.

Some people would rather not be homosexual for whatever reason and if they want to try and cure that then they should be allowed to.

[/totally indepth debate]
holden caulfield.
Idiot
holden caulfield.
December 18th, 2007 at 11:52pm
This is the biggest load of bullshit ever.

Being bi/lesbian/gay does not mean you have a disease. It just means you are different. Since when did people call uniqueness and difference a disease and say there is a cure for it?

Nobodys the same. We are all different. Your sexuality is a huge part of your life, and if bi/gay/lesbian people choose those ways, let them. We shouldn't taunt them or tease them, and say they need a 'cure' and label their decisions and feelings a disease.

It pisses me off so much. I am bisexual myself, and hearing this really ticks me off. Love is love. You can't cure the way someone feels for another, and label their attraction a disease. It's who they are, it's what they want, let them be happy.

There is absolutly nothing wrong with being anything other than straight.
dr cunningham
This Board Is My Home
dr cunningham

Blog
December 19th, 2007 at 12:33am
Why would anybody want to 'cure' something so natural to some people.
I certantly don't agree with it.Homosexuality doesn't need a cure.It never will.

I myself think it's a wonderful thing for someone to be a homosexual.I see no problem with it.If a gay man suddenly felt ~un-gay~ and wanted to turn straight then he'd go out and find a girl, not have some stupid treatment.

i'm done, bye Coolio
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
December 19th, 2007 at 02:32am
Light Years Away.:
This is the biggest load of bullshit ever.

Being bi/lesbian/gay does not mean you have a disease. It just means you are different. Since when did people call uniqueness and difference a disease and say there is a cure for it?

Nobodys the same. We are all different. Your sexuality is a huge part of your life, and if bi/gay/lesbian people choose those ways, let them. We shouldn't taunt them or tease them, and say they need a 'cure' and label their decisions and feelings a disease.

It pisses me off so much. I am bisexual myself, and hearing this really ticks me off. Love is love. You can't cure the way someone feels for another, and label their attraction a disease. It's who they are, it's what they want, let them be happy.

There is absolutly nothing wrong with being anything other than straight.
It's great that you're so comfortable in your sexuality, but can't you even attempt to view the situation from another perspective? Imagine a child who'd been raised in an Amish society. Homosexuality wouldn't be an option for him or her, and if they had an opportunity to seek a "cure", then I'm sure they would. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I sympathize with anyone desperate enough to seek a "cure".

And please, spare me the "love is love" arguement. It's off base, entirely. Pedophiles love their victims. Rapists love their victims, in some cases. What about incestual relationships? Are you fine with those too? Please, if you insist on using some sort of catchphrase "Love has no gender" would probably be a better way to go.[/offtopic] Coolio
Maiku's Kind Ghost
Maiku's Kind Ghost

Mibba
December 19th, 2007 at 02:55am
Ol' Blue Eyes.:
It's great that you're so comfortable in your sexuality, but can't you even attempt to view the situation from another perspective? Imagine a child who'd been raised in an Amish society. Homosexuality wouldn't be an option for him or her, and if they had an opportunity to seek a "cure", then I'm sure they would. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I sympathize with anyone desperate enough to seek a "cure".

And please, spare me the "love is love" arguement. It's off base, entirely. Pedophiles love their victims. Rapists love their victims, in some cases. What about incestual relationships? Are you fine with those too? Please, if you insist on using some sort of catchphrase "Love has no gender" would probably be a better way to go.[/offtopic] Coolio

but, (this is rather literal) if an Amish child where to seek the cure, they couldn't get it in the first place because the Amish don't believe in the use of modern technology and live in their own communities, separate from the rest of society. The only way they could get it is if they left the community and in that case the "problem" would more or less be solved.

but aside form that, how could you be sure that the "cure" would even work, when we don't even understand how and why people are/become gay (then there's the whole Bisexuality issue on top of that as well.)

If it's a choice, then all they need to do is change their preferences( if they so chose.) But it's an internal, biologically or genetically controlled thing, then you have to find out what controls it and manipulate it. Which I'm sure such a procedure or pill would cost a lot of money, more then the average person has.
ColleenStarship
Addict
ColleenStarship
December 20th, 2007 at 01:35am
Maiku's Kind Ghost:

but, (this is rather literal) if an Amish child where to seek the cure, they couldn't get it in the first place because the Amish don't believe in the use of modern technology and live in their own communities, separate from the rest of society. The only way they could get it is if they left the community and in that case the "problem" would more or less be solved.

but aside form that, how could you be sure that the "cure" would even work, when we don't even understand how and why people are/become gay (then there's the whole Bisexuality issue on top of that as well.)

If it's a choice, then all they need to do is change their preferences( if they so chose.) But it's an internal, biologically or genetically controlled thing, then you have to find out what controls it and manipulate it. Which I'm sure such a procedure or pill would cost a lot of money, more then the average person has.

but what about that year the kids get to move away and then make the final choice if they want to be "mainstream" [i couldn't think of a better term] or stick with what they've been raised to be? does that rule still apply? Shifty

But back on topic, anyway. I don't thnk its should be enofrced. if someone wants to change its completely up to them.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
December 20th, 2007 at 04:15am
ColleenStarship:
But back on topic, anyway. I don't thnk its should be enofrced. if someone wants to change its completely up to them.
Exactly. It should be an option, if someone wishes to choose it. No one should ever be forced into it, but everyone should have the choice.
Register