School leaving age

AuthorMessage
Dom
Jackass
Dom
May 17th, 2007 at 01:17pm
Bloodraine:
Dom:
the problem with forcing education upto 18 is the scrotes you had to sit in g.c.s.e classes with, and didnt want to be there, will be forced to sit in your A level classes aswell, where at the moment all the people WANT to be there and are WILLING to learn. forcing kids to stay until their 18 will mean theyll just continue disrupting classes. Its not a good idea.

You don't have to stay in academic classes. You can do work related training or start an apprenticeship or NVQ.

you can already do that at 16, people who will want to will try to. Obviously the trades wont be happy if you remove the barriers to entry as it will mean lower wages for them.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 18th, 2007 at 01:37pm
Dom:
Bloodraine:
Dom:
the problem with forcing education upto 18 is the scrotes you had to sit in g.c.s.e classes with, and didnt want to be there, will be forced to sit in your A level classes aswell, where at the moment all the people WANT to be there and are WILLING to learn. forcing kids to stay until their 18 will mean theyll just continue disrupting classes. Its not a good idea.

You don't have to stay in academic classes. You can do work related training or start an apprenticeship or NVQ.

you can already do that at 16, people who will want to will try to. Obviously the trades wont be happy if you remove the barriers to entry as it will mean lower wages for them.
I utterly agree with the annoyance of people having to sit in a class with you rather than wanting to. I just finished my psychology exam today and half the people 'taking' it weren't infact doing anything other than tapping their feet together, or strumming rubber bands, or making other disrupting noises from which I could swear I've lost twenty or so marks! Ugh! Miserable. Absolutely, miserable.

The annoying thing is one of my friends left school when I was fourteen, he was fifteen. He's now dropped out of uni, and is spending is enormous inheritence from his parents at the age of eighteen, after doing nothing with hith life. He's driving an bright red, Alpha Romeo, and I'm driving a rusty red Toyota Corolla. I have a part time job to pay for services, he has maids! He lives in a mansion with his own beach house on an island, and I rent, well pay for in a sense, a bedroom.

I guess life's not fair though.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
May 19th, 2007 at 05:50am
Anji:
Dom:
Bloodraine:
Dom:

I utterly agree with the annoyance of people having to sit in a class with you rather than wanting to. I just finished my psychology exam today and half the people 'taking' it weren't infact doing anything other than tapping their feet together, or strumming rubber bands, or making other disrupting noises from which I could swear I've lost twenty or so marks! Ugh! Miserable. Absolutely, miserable.

The annoying thing is one of my friends left school when I was fourteen, he was fifteen. He's now dropped out of uni, and is spending is enormous inheritence from his parents at the age of eighteen, after doing nothing with hith life. He's driving an bright red, Alpha Romeo, and I'm driving a rusty red Toyota Corolla. I have a part time job to pay for services, he has maids! He lives in a mansion with his own beach house on an island, and I rent, well pay for in a sense, a bedroom.

surely that inheritance will run out in time, then he'll be fucked....heres hoping.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
May 21st, 2007 at 03:09pm
Anji:

But he will be a miserable loser and an ignoramus all of his life while you have your knowledge and wit to cherish. That is the real gift that can top money and luxury.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
May 23rd, 2007 at 12:08pm
VAGPHOBIC.:
Anji:

But he will be a miserable loser and an ignoramus all of his life while you have your knowledge and wit to cherish. That is the real gift that can top money and luxury.
He really isn't a loser though, he's one of my best mates. I go to parties at his house like every other week and I want to not like him, but I can't, infact very few people do. He's just so cool. We've known eachother for years, we go way back yet our lives couldn't be more different now.
Roisin-Marie
King For A Couple Of Days
Roisin-Marie

Blog
May 30th, 2007 at 05:48am
because of thedate my birthday landed on, i will be leaving school at the age of 15
rehabreject
Jackass
rehabreject
May 30th, 2007 at 05:54am
Ro the Hoe:
because of thedate my birthday landed on, i will be leaving school at the age of 15
I just did that too. I think its more to do with leaving school the year you turn 16.
Roisin-Marie
King For A Couple Of Days
Roisin-Marie

Blog
June 15th, 2007 at 11:27am
rehabreject:
Ro the Hoe:
I just did that too. I think its more to do with leaving school the year you turn 16.

hmmm i get what your saying.the place im looking to go to wont take anyone until they are 16 and i was talking to my teacher about this and she just goes well you'll have a year off then.but what the hell am i suppose to do for a year? Cheese
votefordisco
Rotting On Here
votefordisco

Mibba
June 30th, 2007 at 08:41pm
I think it should be raised to 18. I was talking to my parents about me being prime minister (a little joke we have going) and about how I'd change it so that we have to stay in school until we're 18.
I mean it makes sense, really; 18 is when you become an adult in this country and I personally think people should be made to stay in school until that age. 16 is a really young age to be getting a job and living on your own and stuff.
Also, there are an awful lot of people without any real qualifications because of leaving school at such a young age. If everyone were made to stay in full time education until the age of 18 then maybe there'd be less people struggling to provide for themselves and less unemployed people.

I think these days people are underestimating the importance of knowledge and skills and stuff. 16 year olds are at a fickle age and from my observation in a great hurry to grow up, so it's likely they'll make a hasty decision to leave school as soon as they can and regret it later on when they find that they can't get a good job.
Raise it to 18 and they're classed as an adult; able to make their own decisions and live by their own rules; I think by that age they are far more likely to make a sensible decision that they won't regret further on into the future.
We Are 138
Geek
We Are 138

Mibba
July 1st, 2007 at 06:12am
stardust:
I think it should be raised to 18. I was talking to my parents about me being prime minister (a little joke we have going) and about how I'd change it so that we have to stay in school until we're 18.
I mean it makes sense, really; 18 is when you become an adult in this country and I personally think people should be made to stay in school until that age. 16 is a really young age to be getting a job and living on your own and stuff.
Also, there are an awful lot of people without any real qualifications because of leaving school at such a young age. If everyone were made to stay in full time education until the age of 18 then maybe there'd be less people struggling to provide for themselves and less unemployed people.

I think these days people are underestimating the importance of knowledge and skills and stuff. 16 year olds are at a fickle age and from my observation in a great hurry to grow up, so it's likely they'll make a hasty decision to leave school as soon as they can and regret it later on when they find that they can't get a good job.
Raise it to 18 and they're classed as an adult; able to make their own decisions and live by their own rules; I think by that age they are far more likely to make a sensible decision that they won't regret further on into the future.

But that wouldn't work for everyone. Some people just can't learn in a school environment and are disruptive as a result. It's a minority of people, but surely they should have the option to leave if that's what they want to do.
votefordisco
Rotting On Here
votefordisco

Mibba
July 1st, 2007 at 07:04am
Jimmy4Whatsername:
stardust:

But that wouldn't work for everyone. Some people just can't learn in a school environment and are disruptive as a result. It's a minority of people, but surely they should have the option to leave if that's what they want to do.
To be honest it's mostly the younger age group that are disruptive. To lower the age, in my opinion, would just be stupid. 16 year olds are barely able to make a sensible decision, let alone 12 year olds.
If kids are really having a shit time in school their parents can take them out and teach them at home, but I think that it should be general regulation that everyone who can attend do so until they are 18. I just think it would be better in the long run.
Christie__x
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Christie__x

Blog
July 2nd, 2007 at 10:58am
I like that the school leaving age in the UK is 16.

However, I think too many of my friends are dropping out just because they CAN. Most of them wish they never did but I've personally never been happier.

I don't think age should matter, I think they should only let you leave once you know you're ready to.

Or show that you're ready to by having plans for what you're doing as soon as you've left.

For example, as soon as I left school, I applied to college to re sit a course I know I failed [yeah, i did THAT badly] and I had previously applied to universities which accepted me on specific conditions [which i didn't manage to achieve].

:]
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 2nd, 2007 at 11:08am
Christie__x:

However, I think too many of my friends are dropping out just because they CAN. Most of them wish they never did but I've personally never been happier.

I don't think age should matter, I think they should only let you leave once you know you're ready to.

Or show that you're ready to by having plans for what you're doing as soon as you've left.

For example, as soon as I left school, I applied to college to re sit a course I know I failed [yeah, i did THAT badly] and I had previously applied to universities which accepted me on specific conditions [which i didn't manage to achieve].

And you don't possibly think that sitting through the rest of school would've helped you in attaining the qualifications and knowledge to actually get through your courses and into university?
Christie__x
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Christie__x

Blog
July 2nd, 2007 at 11:33am
Anji:
Christie__x:

And you don't possibly think that sitting through the rest of school would've helped you in attaining the qualifications and knowledge to actually get through your courses and into university?

I had all but one year left of school. My parents refused to allow me to go to any school other than the same one I have attended for 15 years and rather than making my parents pay £7500 for another year again, I thought I'd take the easier route [for my parents] out.

Anyway, college for one year or that sadistic suppressing hellhole for yet another year?

I know which one I prefer.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 2nd, 2007 at 01:39pm
Your school must really suck to have to leave.
Holly Golightly
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Holly Golightly
July 2nd, 2007 at 05:34pm
well...i was 14 when i finished school...and now i 've just finished my first year in college...and i left my school not because it was sucks....i just wanted to grow faster and to begin study my future profession earlier...maybe its stupid,but i like college more than school...
Christie__x
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
Christie__x

Blog
July 2nd, 2007 at 06:41pm
Anji:
Your school must really suck to have to leave.

The teachers were bent on making my life difficult.

They made up new rules to try screw things up for me.

For example, for every exam I sat, I had to take out all my piercings and then trek for half an hour across town to a piercings studio to get them re-inserted because the holes had practically completely closed up.

Also, college is better seeing as I only need to go in for 2 days a week for one course rather than 5 days a week for a whole bunch of additional courses I don't need in the slightest.

It was the most efficient soultion. I'm not petty or stupid enough to leave a good chance at education just because I wasn't happy there.
Jax.
Was Here Two Weeks Ago
Jax.
July 6th, 2007 at 06:00am
I think 16 is a good age. You need GCSE's to get a job, A Levels are an extra bonus in my opinion, because you should do what you wish.

What I entirely reject is the fact that some people say, "I don't care, I won't get a job and I'll live on the council and get benefits." (I have actually had that said to me a few times.)

I don't pay tax for them to sit on their arses all day and do nothing to receive money.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 6th, 2007 at 03:39pm
That Ska Kid.:
I think 16 is a good age. You need GCSE's to get a job, A Levels are an extra bonus in my opinion, because you should do what you wish.

What I entirely reject is the fact that some people say, "I don't care, I won't get a job and I'll live on the council and get benefits." (I have actually had that said to me a few times.)

I don't pay tax for them to sit on their arses all day and do nothing to receive money.
It was a good excuse with Thatcher in office, but not the attitude people can deal with anymore. Now we have Brown. Gosh that's weird, I'm still not used to him being PM. I kinda miss Tony like that.
Holden
Geek
Holden

Mibba Blog
July 23rd, 2007 at 01:32am
Well, Here In Mexico, We Finish High School till we are 18, I just Finished in June, And In August I start College. I Mean, In October I'll Be 18, But Must Of My partners are 18 already, so we finish here till we are 18. I think at that age we can be at least, not mor mature, but less dumb, so we can decide well what to do next with our lifes.
Register