What if...

AuthorMessage
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
August 21st, 2007 at 04:03pm
Dumbledore once said that the consequences of our actions are so complicated that it makes predicting the future very tricky indeed. I dunno if that's word for word, probably not, but my book's downstairs and I'm upstairs so tough.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting (and fun) to discuss the possibilities had one thing in the books been different. I mean, one word meant the end of Snape and Lily's friendship - what would it have been like if he'd not said it, or she'd forgiven him?

What would it have been like if Voldemort had chosen Neville, instead of Harry?

I won't go on, because the list is endless, but one I've really been pondering over the last few days is what would have been different if Harry had been a girl? Now before you laugh, yes, it's all very funny, and yes, we know the name Harriet exists and it's the girl's version of Harry, but seriously now. A few points I was thinking of -

Would Petunia have treated a girl more like a daughter than she treated Harry like a son? Because Harry was basically a second son, but Petunia already had a son to fuss over. If she had had an adopted daughter, would she have enjoyed a more mother/daughter relationship with her? I think very possibly.

Also, would a girl (no claims of sexism, please) have been able to deal with everything Harry dealt with? Girls are, as a rule, much more emotional than boys, and Harry was uber emotional in 5th year - would a female version have been moreso, and unable to deal with everything laid before her?

Would Ron have been friends with a girl straightaway? It sounds silly, but we all know how fantastically immature boys are at that age.

I'm sure there's loads more to discuss on that particular subject - but I won't bombard you with my opinions, because this is for any 'what if's.

So yes, there we are - discuss.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 21st, 2007 at 04:27pm
OK, I was young back then, so keep that in mind. But after Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban had been released and I was all upset because Sirius was my new favourite character but everyone still thought him a criminal, I really wanted the wizarding world to have some mass revelation and then he'd be all innocent and he could teach Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts. I just thought that'd make a nice happy ending.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
August 21st, 2007 at 04:43pm
Yeah, can completely identify with that. I just wanted Peter to mess up his apparating and apparate into the Ministry of Magic while Fudge was standing right there.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 21st, 2007 at 04:48pm
A female Harry Potter would be so weird in the last movie. O_o

But think of all the female Harry Potter/Sirius Black fanfics! tehe
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
August 21st, 2007 at 04:50pm
That would be sick and wrong. She's his goddaughter!

Sirius/Hermione, on the other hand, I'm all for.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
August 21st, 2007 at 05:52pm
Flaming Phalanges!:
That would be sick and wrong. She's his goddaughter!

Sirius/Hermione, on the other hand, I'm all for.
Being someones goddaughter doesn't make you blood related to that person. Coolio

I really wanted Peter to get killed by Sirius in PoA and I really wanted Harry to learn occlumency in OotP.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
August 21st, 2007 at 06:00pm
I know it doesn't make you blood related, just like your uncle or aunt (who married your one of your parents' sisters or brothers) isn't blood related, but it'd still be more than a little bit wrong to have a relationship with them.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
August 21st, 2007 at 09:24pm
What if Snape turned out evil? XD
I can't bear to think about that one.
Misanthropist
Post Whore
Misanthropist
August 21st, 2007 at 09:48pm
I can't picture Harry as female...the story's dynamic would just be totally different.
What if Sirius somehow blamed Harry for James' death and disliked him immensely?
It's a bit of a stretch...but that's all I could think of really.
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
August 22nd, 2007 at 09:31pm
If Harry were a girl, the book would've had less fame. Not sexist or anything but people like to hear a boy as a the main character.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
August 22nd, 2007 at 11:13pm
I just mean how things would have been different in the actual story.

I'm really curious as to how that would have changed things.
Billie's Willie
Billie's Willie

Mibba Blog
August 22nd, 2007 at 11:32pm
If Harry was a female...Voldemort would have been destroyed when Harry's boobs appeared. Shifty I'm kidding, of course.
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
August 23rd, 2007 at 12:51am
What if Harry let Sirius and Lupin kill Wormtail?

I mean Wormtail wouldn't have had a debt to pay to Harry so Harry may have been in danger in the future, but then Wormtail would never have resurrected Voldemort. Lupin and Sirius would have probably been in great trouble for doing so, but yeah... what would have happened if Harry had let them?
Meski
Addict
Meski

Blog
August 23rd, 2007 at 01:05am
Flaming Phalanges!:

The books are written by JK Rowling, not Jo Rowling. The editors said that women writers sold less than men.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
August 23rd, 2007 at 01:11am
Meski:
Flaming Phalanges!:

The books are written by JK Rowling, not Jo Rowling. The editors said that women writers sold less than men.

You're completely missing my point. I'm talking about how the PLOT would have changed, not the sales, not the physical book itself, but the plot of the Harry potter books, because obviously a girl wouldn't have gone through the same troubles as a boy would have.

And what you said is not true, the publishers asked her to be J.K. Rowling so the story would appeal to boys, because if something's wiitten by a woman, boys, being the immature sods that they are, will automatically turn their nose up.
Matt Smith
Admin
Matt Smith

Mibba Blog
August 23rd, 2007 at 08:24pm
I think if Snape turned out to be evil, the whole triumph over the dark lord would've been pissed up really. Coolio
Misanthropist
Post Whore
Misanthropist
August 24th, 2007 at 09:06am
Bloodraine:
I think if Snape turned out to be evil, the whole triumph over the dark lord would've been pissed up really. Coolio
Yarly.
The fact that he was good had a huge involvement.
anti social
Jackass
anti social
August 25th, 2007 at 02:52am
I think my brain will explode if I stay any longer in the What if... thread.

I just wasn't made for theories.
Billie's Willie
Billie's Willie

Mibba Blog
August 25th, 2007 at 08:40am
Misanthropist:
Bloodraine:
Yarly.
The fact that he was good had a huge involvement.
Harry wouldn't have gotten the sword to destroy the horcruxes. omgno
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
August 25th, 2007 at 10:38am
Billie's Willie:
Harry wouldn't have gotten the sword to destroy the horcruxes. omgno

They would have done if they'd broken into the Lestranges' safe anyway, though.
Register