Flag desecration

AuthorMessage
Ilse
Falling In Love With The Board
Ilse
December 14th, 2005 at 09:30pm
I personally don't care.

*patriot*: "But they're disrespecting our country!"

Yeah, so does eveyone else. You fart, admit it...you foul the air of this nation.
Spirit Of '77
Spirit Of '77
December 14th, 2005 at 10:37pm
it's a fucking piece of cloth. that'd be like outlawing burning your underwear.
well.durr__hXc™
King For A Couple Of Days
well.durr__hXc™
December 14th, 2005 at 11:35pm
lostresdiosdeverde:
Joe Robot:
I think its pretty fucking rude. I'm mean, even if you AREN'T patriotic, what the fuck?

Thats a sign of rudeness, and disregardness. Its fucked up.

Its hard to explain, too. Its hard to persuade people to not do it. Because we have that law 'freedom of speech'.

And its not just a piece of cloth. I mean it is, literally, but its the sign for your own country. Why burn it or graffiti it?

Why you ask? I don't know about other people but if I ever did it (I haven't yet) it would be out of protest. How many other ways of protest can a teen or anyone for that matter that REALLY get noticed and attention. I don't see why it offends people. It stands for America which is a great country yes, but part of being patriotic is exercising your rights. Being patriotic is about questioning things, trying to change things. Like I consider Michael Moore one of the most patriotic people. By doing that you're not physically hurting anyone so I don't see why people get so upset.

Being patriotic, is showing good expressions for your country.

People can exercise their own ways of protest by other choices. They do it all the time. Doing something to the flag isn't the only way... -_-
fancy pants
Post Whore
fancy pants
December 14th, 2005 at 11:55pm
Just like as if:
fancy pants:
People should be able to burn flags if they want to. It's just a stupid piece of cloth.
Exactly.

.__. You always say the things that I've been planning to. Like the Christmas thing. Well, at least you get all the shit, I'm just agreeing. xD
Laughing
Snow White
Geek
Snow White
December 15th, 2005 at 09:55am
Joe Robot:
I think its pretty fucking rude. I'm mean, even if you AREN'T patriotic, what the fuck?

Its hard to explain, too. Its hard to persuade people to not do it. Because we have that law 'freedom of speech'.

And its not just a piece of cloth. I mean it is, literally, but its the sign for your own country. Why burn it or graffiti it?

Rudeness is a point of view, not everyone thinks the same things to be rude. It may be that you think it's rude, but that doesn't mean everything thinks it is. I for one, don't.

Why would you want to persuade people not to do it? You can't tell people what they can and can't do, that's not your place. And how the hell can you put freedom of speech between ""'s?! Of course, it's only like (one of) the most important part(s) of our society. Rolling Eyes Confused

Some people may have reasons to do it, some people are against their country. That's not impossible.
Spirit Of '77
Spirit Of '77
December 15th, 2005 at 10:31am
Snow White:
Joe Robot:

Rudeness is a point of view, not everyone thinks the same things to be rude. It may be that you think it's rude, but that doesn't mean everything thinks it is. I for one, don't.

it's not even about that person not finding it rude or offensive. most people who do it do so BECAUSE of that fact that it's rude and that it's going to offend someone. that's what they're looking for, generally. to make a statement against america. and if other people are offended by it, i say more power to them. you must be getting your point across if you're able to offend someone by it.
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
December 15th, 2005 at 11:13am
Spirit Of '77:
Snow White:
Joe Robot:

it's not even about that person not finding it rude or offensive. most people who do it do so BECAUSE of that fact that it's rude and that it's going to offend someone. that's what they're looking for, generally. to make a statement against america. and if other people are offended by it, i say more power to them. you must be getting your point across if you're able to offend someone by it.

Yea, that is also why they wanted to make it illegal to burn flags. There was a similar topic to this on another site, and one of the things I said was that maybe it would be a good idea to instead of just burning the flags; to put stuff on them like...'terrorism' or 'america'
this could likely do two things.....one is that people might see that you aren't just burning a flag and that you are making a statement against. The other is that it might make them be like "what the fuck, I don't understand." Then they could confront you and find out why you are doing this, you could then tell them and hopefully open their eyes.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
December 15th, 2005 at 06:14pm
I think you can express your opinions in much more mature ways. In some ways, it's similar to desecrating a religous symbol. You don't have to burn a flag or spray paint on it to get a point across. That's vandalism, not peacefull expression.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
December 15th, 2005 at 06:17pm
I also think it's extremely disrespectfull to veterens and to others who fought and died in wars. These people didn't fight for our country so some person who doesn't know how to VOICE his or her opinion could burn it.
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
December 15th, 2005 at 06:18pm
Spirit Of '77:
it's a fucking piece of cloth. that'd be like outlawing burning your underwear.

Your underwear is a symbol of your country? Your underwear was died for? People killed for your underwear and what it stands for.

Wow, can I buy that from you?
Nine_Inch_Nails
Nine_Inch_Nails
December 15th, 2005 at 06:24pm
I'm not patriotic at all so...BURN THE DARN FLAGS!!
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
December 15th, 2005 at 06:29pm
ExtraodinaryGirl:
I think you can express your opinions in much more mature ways. In some ways, it's similar to desecrating a religous symbol. You don't have to burn a flag or spray paint on it to get a point across. That's vandalism, not peacefull expression.

what do you mean?
we can be more mature in expressing our non-patriotic beliefs? so we could do what patriots do instead.....and go fight other people? that's real mature isn't it.
fancy pants
Post Whore
fancy pants
December 15th, 2005 at 06:53pm
To those of you who say it's not patriotic: what's more patriotic than having the right to free speech and USING YOUR RIGHTS?
Kitti
Kitti
December 15th, 2005 at 06:57pm
lostresdiosdeverde:
Joe Robot:

Why you ask? I don't know about other people but if I ever did it (I haven't yet) it would be out of protest. How many other ways of protest can a teen or anyone for that matter that REALLY get noticed and attention. I don't see why it offends people. It stands for America which is a great country yes, but part of being patriotic is exercising your rights. Being patriotic is about questioning things, trying to change things. Like I consider Michael Moore one of the most patriotic people. By doing that you're not physically hurting anyone so I don't see why people get so upset.

you said Michael Moore. run while you still can. Shocked
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
December 15th, 2005 at 07:12pm
paradoxical:
lostresdiosdeverde:
Joe Robot:

you said Michael Moore. run while you still can. Shocked

That is seriously a rule x_x
Looks like a new topic must be made.
well.durr__hXc™
well.durr__hXc™
December 15th, 2005 at 07:14pm
ExtraodinaryGirl:
I also think it's extremely disrespectfull to veterens and to others who fought and died in wars. These people didn't fight for our country so some person who doesn't know how to VOICE his or her opinion could burn it.

ExtraodinaryGirl:

You think too much like me. Cool
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
December 15th, 2005 at 07:34pm
[quote="Joe Robot"]
ExtraodinaryGirl:

Fighting is an appropriate way to voice your opinion about your country?
folkin' around.
folkin' around.
December 15th, 2005 at 08:26pm
I'm not sure what desecration means...but I have an idea...

I think that you should be patriotic to your country and not burn the
flag. And be respectful and not burn any countries flag.
It's mainly out of respect.

Like you wouldn't burn a picture of George Bush would you?
Wrong question...pffh.

Here: I wouln't burn a picture of Bill Clinton but by no means
do I believe in what he has to say...

I wouldn't burn an Afghanistan[I know I'm spelling that wrong] flag,
even though...they do kinda hate us...

That's just how I think. I guess I'm very patriotic...yet I'm the girl
who won't say the pledge cause it says "Under God". I'm messed up...
FUCK GSB
Banned
FUCK GSB
December 15th, 2005 at 08:34pm
hobo with a box:
I'm not sure what desecration means...but I have an idea...

I think that you should be patriotic to your country and not burn the
flag. And be respectful and not burn any countries flag.
It's mainly out of respect.

Like you wouldn't burn a picture of George Bush would you?
Wrong question...pffh.

Here: I wouln't burn a picture of Bill Clinton but by no means
do I believe in what he has to say...

I wouldn't burn an Afghanistan[I know I'm spelling that wrong] flag,
even though...they do kinda hate us...

That's just how I think. I guess I'm very patriotic...yet I'm the girl
who won't say the pledge cause it says "Under God". I'm messed up...

Isn't it disrespecting the ones who want to burn the flag by making it illegal for them to do so?
ExtraodinaryGirl
Jackass
ExtraodinaryGirl
December 15th, 2005 at 08:42pm
Robot:
ExtraodinaryGirl:

what do you mean?
we can be more mature in expressing our non-patriotic beliefs? so we could do what patriots do instead.....and go fight other people? that's real mature isn't it.

Confused
I mean what I said. It's immature to vandalise something that means so much and that people have died for.
I'm patriotic, I don't fight people. Since when is the definition of patriatism violence?
You completely missed what I was saying. I was saying vandilism is immature, and vandalism of something so meaningfull and important to so many people isn't peacefull protest.
Register