The Horrible and Dreaded INSTA-LOVE!

AuthorMessage
Pickle
Geek
Pickle

Mibba
April 4th, 2006 at 02:25pm
To the Mods: I don't think these topics are innaproppriate as we are discussing the fanfiction elements, but if they are offensive to you I understand (somewhat) if you remove them. I just want to discuss these elements with my fellow writers.

Have you ever been sitting in front of your computer and was peacefully reading a fiction and all of a sudden.... there's the Horrible Dreaded INSTA-LOVE! You know, when all of a sudden these two main characters are all over each other when, in fact, the previous chapter they weren't talking or had no idea who the other was?

We've all probably written it at least once and read it a dozen time. I know I have on both scales. I try to stray away from it as much as possible because it's just too fluffy and uninteresting to me. Here's my theory:

Fanfiction love is like Ramen noodles. Add water and a hint of heat and you got some steamy noodles. That was gross in a way. It is rather annoying because it isn't real. Real love takes time, effort, and lots and lots and lots of fights and compromises. Adding water just doesn't cut it.

There has to be that awkward phase of 'OMG, did they just look at me? They must think I'm weird! Do I have anything in my teeth? Why did I say that, they must think I'm an idiot!'

And argumentive phase of nothing but fighting over pencil shavings and then you may build to a hot, steamy, in depth, his and hers matching underwear love but you also have to take into account fights, slight distrust, and all that fun stuff.

What do you guys think? Do you stray away from it or cling to the Horrible and Dreaded INSTA-LOVE! If not, what are some tips for others on how to avoid it?
HavingAGreenDay
Falling In Love With The Board
HavingAGreenDay

Mibba
April 5th, 2006 at 12:50am
Pickle:
To the Mods: I don't think these topics are innaproppriate as we are discussing the fanfiction elements, but if they are offensive to you I understand (somewhat) if you remove them. I just want to discuss these elements with my fellow writers.

Have you ever been sitting in front of your computer and was peacefully reading a fiction and all of a sudden.... there's the Horrible Dreaded INSTA-LOVE! You know, when all of a sudden these two main characters are all over each other when, in fact, the previous chapter they weren't talking or had no idea who the other was?

We've all probably written it at least once and read it a dozen time. I know I have on both scales. I try to stray away from it as much as possible because it's just too fluffy and uninteresting to me. Here's my theory:

Fanfiction love is like Ramen noodles. Add water and a hint of heat and you got some steamy noodles. That was gross in a way. It is rather annoying because it isn't real. Real love takes time, effort, and lots and lots and lots of fights and compromises. Adding water just doesn't cut it.

There has to be that awkward phase of 'OMG, did they just look at me? They must think I'm weird! Do I have anything in my teeth? Why did I say that, they must think I'm an idiot!'

And argumentive phase of nothing but fighting over pencil shavings and then you may build to a hot, steamy, in depth, his and hers matching underwear love but you also have to take into account fights, slight distrust, and all that fun stuff.

What do you guys think? Do you stray away from it or cling to the Horrible and Dreaded INSTA-LOVE! If not, what are some tips for others on how to avoid it?
Yowzers, that was very descriptive. A little bit confusing too.

I think I know what you are speaking of though. I think by far, and I'm telling you this as an editor who reads a lot of the stories on this site; the majority of the stories here are what you call "insta-love" stories. Mostly they're always about some depressed teenager who just happens to have a turn in luck, meet Billie Joe, fall in love right away, get pregnant with his child, depressed again, maybe marry him and then happy again.

It's like a cliché cycle.

My advice is to stray as far away from it as possible, because it is a VERY VERY overused method and plot amongst the authors. As for how to avoid it, my only advice is just make sure your plot is workin' for ya before you even begin. Razz
ThisIsGreenDay
ThisIsGreenDay

Mibba
April 5th, 2006 at 01:06am
HavingAGreenDay:
Pickle:

I think I know what you are speaking of though. I think by far, and I'm telling you this as an editor who reads a lot of the stories on this site; the majority of the stories here are what you call "insta-love" stories. Mostly they're always about some depressed teenager who just happens to have a turn in luck, meet Billie Joe, fall in love right away, get pregnant with his child, depressed again, maybe marry him and then happy again.

My advice is to stray as far away from it as possible, because it is a VERY VERY overused method and plot amongst the authors. As for how to avoid it, my only advice is just make sure your plot is workin' for ya before you even begin. Razz

Another good way to avoid the cliche is write a story about Mike as the lead love interest for the original female character. That works every time. Laughing
HavingAGreenDay
HavingAGreenDay

Mibba
April 5th, 2006 at 01:08am
ThisIsGreenDay:
HavingAGreenDay:
Pickle:

Another good way to avoid the cliche is write a story about Mike as the lead love interest for the original female character. That works every time. Laughing
Lmfao, but of course. And Tre... Shifty
ThisIsGreenDay
ThisIsGreenDay

Mibba
April 5th, 2006 at 01:12am
HavingAGreenDay:
ThisIsGreenDay:
HavingAGreenDay:
Pickle:

*shrugs* Yeah, but see, Tre is just as popular as Billie Joe when it comes to fanfic if you ask me. If it itsn't the one shortie, it's the other. Laughing
HavingAGreenDay
HavingAGreenDay

Mibba
April 5th, 2006 at 02:15am
ThisIsGreenDay:
HavingAGreenDay:
ThisIsGreenDay:
HavingAGreenDay:
Pickle:

*shrugs* Yeah, but see, Tre is just as popular as Billie Joe when it comes to fanfic if you ask me. If it itsn't the one shortie, it's the other. Laughing
lmfao

Youse got me there. Poor unpopular Mike. Crying or Very sad

I love him. Smile
Pickle
Geek
Pickle

Mibba
April 5th, 2006 at 10:09am
It's good to know I'm not the only one who has noticed it. It's will all the guys, if you havne't noticed, so not one character is to blame. I just wish some authors would think about their stories before they write them. Ponder on them, mature them, then take the plunge. Not fly by the seat of their pants.
ThisIsGreenDay
ThisIsGreenDay

Mibba
April 5th, 2006 at 07:08pm
Pickle:
It's good to know I'm not the only one who has noticed it. It's will all the guys, if you havne't noticed, so not one character is to blame. I just wish some authors would think about their stories before they write them. Ponder on them, mature them, then take the plunge. Not fly by the seat of their pants.
Well, the majority of the 'writers' here haven't had the years and years experience in writing. I started writing stories 13 years ago. That's the age of most people here. Someday they'll pick up the tricks in how to study a character or develop their own, to make them realistic and not dreamlike. They'll bring them to life in a way that'll make the reader feel like they're peeping through their neighbors windows instead of watching soap operas. A lot of the iffy stories here honestly do have the potential. Well, maybe not the stories, but the authors' abilities will undoubtedly grow and flourish with more years of practice if they keep at it.

And that's all I've to say about that. Cool
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
April 6th, 2006 at 08:43am
Why do you say 'writers'?

I'm sure most people here have grasped the concept of pen and paper. Rolling Eyes
Pickle
Geek
Pickle

Mibba
April 6th, 2006 at 01:03pm
'Writers' as in that they write stories.
Flaming Phalanges!
Basket Case
Flaming Phalanges!
April 6th, 2006 at 03:45pm
*whispers*

Bit of sarcasm there... Wink
ThisIsGreenDay
ThisIsGreenDay

Mibba
April 6th, 2006 at 10:08pm
Flaming Phalanges!:
Why do you say 'writers'?

I'm sure most people here have grasped the concept of pen and paper. Rolling Eyes

Everyone thinks they're a writer, but when a story is utter gibberish, full of nonsense, incessant ramblings they get the 'writers' instead of...well...writers.

Not sure if I made sense there. I know what I mean in my head. Laughing
GreenDay_Fan17
Addict
GreenDay_Fan17
April 6th, 2006 at 10:11pm
I don't really get this thread Confused
Pickle
Geek
Pickle

Mibba
April 7th, 2006 at 09:52am
It was created to discuss the elements of fanfiction, to which insta-love has become a large part in due to people not knowing on how to go about writing a romance in a story. It is to discuss different styles on avoiding it as it is awful to read.
ThisIsGreenDay
ThisIsGreenDay

Mibba
April 7th, 2006 at 10:15pm
^ what she said.
Banach95
King For A Couple Of Days
Banach95

Mibba Blog
April 7th, 2006 at 10:21pm
I am guilty of Insta-love to an extent.... so I can't say too much about it....LOL
HavingAGreenDay
HavingAGreenDay

Mibba
April 7th, 2006 at 10:40pm
sampalletband:
I am guilty of Insta-love to an extent.... so I can't say too much about it....LOL
We all are. Even...........ahh...I can't say it. Surprised
ThisIsGreenDay
ThisIsGreenDay

Mibba
April 7th, 2006 at 10:46pm
[spam]Rose, I just realized you're using the icon I made. Shocked Cool [/spam]
HavingAGreenDay
HavingAGreenDay

Mibba
April 7th, 2006 at 10:49pm
ThisIsGreenDay:
[spam]Rose, I just realized you're using the icon I made. Shocked Cool [/spam]
[spam]I loves it a lot, you know that. And, I figured I didn't need your permission 'cause I'm guessing you make them for people to use, otherwise it's kind of pointless. Laughing Cool [/spam]
Pickle
Geek
Pickle

Mibba
April 8th, 2006 at 03:11pm
We've all don the insta-love thing. I think it's a part of the becoming a better writer process. Once you realize it, you become determined to make it better and have a more defined plot and theme going through your story.

I've done it, you've done it, we've all done it.
Register