Camden Stables

AuthorMessage
White Riot
King For A Couple Of Days
White Riot
September 11th, 2006 at 10:42am
Alright. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but if not, thats okay.
(If you feel this is unnessicary, mods, you may lock (please don't though...).I just want to help spread the word.)
Maybe some of you know, or maybe you don't.
Camden Stables Market, in Camden Town, London, UK might be getting knocked down, to build some stupid 4 story building just like every other crap shopping place in this world. Camden has originality, and deserves to be left alone. Its also the place where The Clash's Rehearsal Rehearsals building is located (building/steps on first album cover).
I am completely against the demolition of this site.

Here is a website for more information on this:

http://www.savecamdenstablesmarket.co.uk/

Mainly though, I would like to request you sign the petition, if you agree for the marketplace to still live and thrive.

Here's the link:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/StablesM/petition.html

There's still time to help save it, the council hasn't gone in to discuss it yet. If you really feel this is important and want to get involved, you can email the following people, tell them you are against the demolition, and go on with what you will:
patricia.callaghan@camden.gov.uk
libby.campbell@camden.gov.uk
chris.naylor@camden.gov.uk

Any support is appreciated. Thanks.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 11th, 2006 at 11:20am
I think there's some international conspiracy to destroy punk heratige sites...yes that it what I call them. Like with CBGB's in Queens.
White Riot
White Riot
September 11th, 2006 at 11:21am
Funny as it sounds, but I agree.
I had a discussion about that yesterday with my friend.
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
September 11th, 2006 at 12:27pm
wow. a picture was taken there. does that really make it important enough to stop having whatever this thing is being made being made to create new jobs for the community? there is no big bias against punk, dont pretend that there is. theres just better uses for the space.
White Riot
White Riot
September 11th, 2006 at 12:38pm
There is no better uses for this place than what it already is.
They are making some stupid shops that you can find anywhere.
Obviously you didn't read about it.
Do you want everything in this world to become the same, boring, bland old thing?
(edit)
You must not know what Camden Stables Market is either.
Its a MARKET. With stuff you can buy, original stuff. Not just a building where The Clash once resided.
Peardrops
Addict
Peardrops

Blog
September 11th, 2006 at 01:42pm
Ugh.
Just because they've knocked down all of the places that are special to them to build shopping centres with New Looks and Top Shops in them.
Doesn't mean they can start on ours.
warning_im_a_minority
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
warning_im_a_minority
September 11th, 2006 at 05:00pm
u guys in england r lucky! i used 2 live there! i live in cork in ireland and theres only ONE SHOP that sells punk clothes!!! ive bought almost everything!
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
September 11th, 2006 at 05:23pm
Why is it being knocked down? Did the people who own it agree to sell the property and want it to be knocked down?
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 12th, 2006 at 06:41am
Pastor of Muppets:
wow. a picture was taken there. does that really make it important enough to stop having whatever this thing is being made being made to create new jobs for the community? there is no big bias against punk, dont pretend that there is. theres just better uses for the space.
I don't think there is, infact there probably isn't, but it feels like there is. and Yes, it is an important cultural, historic building, I think.
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
September 12th, 2006 at 12:58pm
Anji:
I don't think there is, infact there probably isn't, but it feels like there is. and Yes, it is an important cultural, historic building, I think.

what, because one album of significance that i myself have never even heard of was made there. right. thats really cultural. fact of the matter is creating shops creates jobs. would you prefer these places to stay, have homeless people all in the streets and things vandalized or shops and less homeless people. its better for society in the area this way.
White Riot
White Riot
September 12th, 2006 at 01:01pm
Pastor of Muppets:
Anji:

what, because one album of significance that i myself have never even heard of was made there. right. thats really cultural. fact of the matter is creating shops creates jobs. would you prefer these places to stay, have homeless people all in the streets and things vandalized or shops and less homeless people. its better for society in the area this way.

You just don't get it, do you?
That area is already a fucking marketplace. People sell things there. That's their jobs. They make money there. Sheesh.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
September 12th, 2006 at 01:05pm
Pastor of Muppets:
Anji:

O_o Duh!!!

No seriously, yes, that's exactly what I want because first off the same has happened to other places that actually have no meaning at all and also because it doesn't have to be completely pointless, it could serve a public use as well.

Also, that wasn't the only thing that happened there. I need to fetch out my Clash biography, but I'm pretty sure there's a whole lot more that went on.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
September 12th, 2006 at 05:14pm
White Riot:

That area is already a fucking marketplace. People sell things there. That's their jobs. They make money there. Sheesh.

Think So because they don't agree with you, they "just don't get it"?

Maybe you're the one who doesnt get it. It's only a building. It isnt as if this is a gigantic huge part of history that altered the state of the world, it's a building. If it is legally being knocked down then there is no problem. You're acting as if this marketplace is equivelent to the pyramids in Egypt or something, it isnt that historical, it isnt that big of a deal.
Hilda the Hag
Geek
Hilda the Hag
September 12th, 2006 at 05:22pm
i dont underrstand-why knock down a building that gives jobs to people just so you can build a more"soicially acceptable"building to give jobs to other people?thats some form of sterotyping,i belive.correct me if im wrong,but the workers a this place wouldn't really fit in or be quite as good as they were doing if they had to go to some little bows-and-lace type place,would they?
between that and the curtural history in both music and world changing people that were there....is a consiracy.it has to be.Azdaja

and CBGB'S!!! i cried for 2 days when i heard.it goes down next month... Crying or Very sad
White Riot
White Riot
September 13th, 2006 at 11:16am
I_worship_tre_Cool:
White Riot:

When I said she just doesn't get it, I don't mean that I'm saying that because she doesn't agree with me. I'm saying it because she says that its good for them to knock it down because then there will be jobs available when they build something new, but there are jobs available there anyway.
I've said that like 3 times already.
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
September 13th, 2006 at 12:21pm
Anji:
O_o Duh!!!

No seriously, yes, that's exactly what I want because first off the same has happened to other places that actually have no meaning at all and also because it doesn't have to be completely pointless, it could serve a public use as well.

Also, that wasn't the only thing that happened there. I need to fetch out my Clash biography, but I'm pretty sure there's a whole lot more that went on.

right, sure. i honestly think you dont know what youre on about.
Biffy Clyro
Basket Case
Biffy Clyro
September 13th, 2006 at 12:24pm
White Riot:
When I said she just doesn't get it, I don't mean that I'm saying that because she doesn't agree with me. I'm saying it because she says that its good for them to knock it down because then there will be jobs available when they build something new, but there are jobs available there anyway.

dont make assumptions please. i am male. and the next person to call me a girl seriously will get some wrath.

a marketplace hardly creates a vast income, or even that many jobs.
White Riot
White Riot
September 13th, 2006 at 12:28pm
Pastor of Muppets:
White Riot:

dont make assumptions please. i am male. and the next person to call me a girl seriously will get some wrath.

Uhm sorry....
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
September 13th, 2006 at 05:53pm
White Riot:
I_worship_tre_Cool:
White Riot:

you can not compare the number of jobs from a private market like that to the number that will be created in a more modern type setting.
White Riot
White Riot
September 13th, 2006 at 06:14pm
But still, they could just find another location to build it, England is a good sized country, I'd say, and I'm sure theres another place they could make a modern building. Camden just isn't it.
Register