Mass Suicides

AuthorMessage
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 12:39pm
Mass suicides are actually not uncommon things in this world. There have been many famous cases of mass suicide like that one where the guy got all those people to drink that poison. You know what I'm talking about.

So why does everyone ignore it then?

Some people seem to think that if so many people are on a road to death, why try stopping them all? If a school of fish swim into an eel's den, what's the point? But if one goes, you've gotta do something right? Maybe it's the idea that there's safety in numbers even in the face of death.

I don't know if anyone here has seen it, but there's a brilliant Japanese movie called Suicide Club which has a graphic scene where a long line of Japanese school girls are at a train platform and right befor the train comes, they all hold hands and jump across the tracks. It's a great movie with an important message. But it mainly deals with single suicides even though it is about this club.

So what about the cults and religions. Were the kamikazes psychos or patriotics? Is there a line to be drawn?

For more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_suicide

Talk people!
tyco
Jackass
tyco
April 12th, 2007 at 05:04pm
i think if there is more then one person it almost goads them all on to doing the same, and yea safety in numbers almost no one knows what its gonna be like to die so they all do it togeather.
ie. haunted house its something new something weird and a bit scarey so if you go with a friend you can both share the same feelings and support each other.

also i dont think its gone unnoticed as such just people dont reflect on it.. its easyer to forget. and i guess its almost a little embaressing *shrugs*

only me pondering LOL.. might just be a load of babble but i cant be botherd to even check it LOL
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 05:12pm
I personally think everyone has the right to do with their life what they want, so long as it doesn't disable other people from living theirs, so I think it's wrong to tell people that they can't commit suicide. However, I don't think it's a smart choice, and I do think alot of times mass suicides are the product of brainwashing cults. The people in them may be very passionate, but not for the right reasons. Cult leaders can be so deceptive and manipulative. Especially suicide cults, because typically the people who join those aren't at a very high point in their life and they can be easily manipulated into doing something they don't want to.

As for the suicide bombers, I do think they were very patriotic. I doubt many people would kill themself fighting for a country they disapproved of, unless of course it was forced military service. That doesn't mean they couldn't have been a bit psychotic too. Might be a combination of both.
Here is a question I have, what happens if the cult leader doesn't commit suicide after she/he convinced all those people to? They may have lied and decieved them. Should legal action be taken against them, or have they commited no crime because physically, they did not kill them?
tyco
Jackass
tyco
April 12th, 2007 at 05:18pm
i also agree with the people having the right to do what they like with there own life which is also why i strongly agree with the doctors putting people to sleep who are in too much pain and dont have a very good quality of life.

as for the question and having said i agree with the rights... it becomes even more difficult to answer but i would say that he should have action agains him cause it seems to verge on the edge of mass murder, these people belive in this man so stronglyt that they would take there own life for what he belives in a preeches yet he dosnt belive enough to do it himself. (babble babble) LOL
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:36pm
That's a bit of a Manson murder case there. Jimmy Jones didn't die when the People's Temple worshipers committed suicide/murdered, didn't he? I can't remember.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 12th, 2007 at 11:39pm
tyco:
also i dont think its gone unnoticed as such just people dont reflect on it.. its easyer to forget. and i guess its almost a little embaressing *shrugs*
Uh, yeah, that's what I meant by unnoticed. If people aren't reflecting on it then people aren't really noticing, are they?

If you're interested, you should rent Suicide Club. It's a really great film. Japan is one of the newest movie markets. I forget the Japanese name, I'll post it later.
tyco
Jackass
tyco
April 13th, 2007 at 05:27pm
Anji:
tyco:
Uh, yeah, that's what I meant by unnoticed. If people aren't reflecting on it then people aren't really noticing, are they?

If you're interested, you should rent Suicide Club. It's a really great film. Japan is one of the newest movie markets. I forget the Japanese name, I'll post it later.

i love japanese movies!!!
what i ment was people do notice they just dont talk about it rather not but they are very aware it happens, as we all are.

japanese movies there was one on tv earlyer called itchy the killer ewww it was gross and wrong LOL
Trelovescookies
Idiot
Trelovescookies

Blog
April 13th, 2007 at 06:49pm
Passionate people, through brainwashing cult crap.
Maiku's Kind Ghost
King For A Couple Of Days
Maiku's Kind Ghost

Mibba
April 13th, 2007 at 07:06pm
Anji:
That's a bit of a Manson murder case there. Jimmy Jones didn't die when the People's Temple worshipers committed suicide/murdered, didn't he? I can't remember.

He shot himself in the head, so yeah.

It depends on the person who is looking the case.To the Japanse
kamikaze pilot, what they're doing is sane and Honorable, to the Amercian (Westerner) it's insane.
Really, it's not so much wether it's the person/peoples is/are insane, but deeply they belive in something. If you belive deeply enough in anything or hold anything with great value, you'll do anthing for it. There are also people called Martyrs, who die for a cause or faith, no one looks at them in a bad light, even though technicly it's suicide.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 13th, 2007 at 10:51pm
Maiku's Requiem:
Anji:

kamikaze pilot, what they're doing is sane and Honorable, to the Amercian (Westerner) it's insane.
Really, it's not so much wether it's the person/peoples is/are insane, but deeply they belive in something. If you belive deeply enough in anything or hold anything with great value, you'll do anthing for it. There are also people called Martyrs, who die for a cause or faith, no one looks at them in a bad light, even though technicly it's suicide.
Americans only thought it was insane because the kamikaze pilots were targeting them. If Americans, infact, Americans who are actually on the front line in wars are not viewed as insane even thought their mission is a suicide one.
Trelovescookies
Idiot
Trelovescookies

Blog
April 14th, 2007 at 04:54am
Anji:
Maiku's Requiem:
Anji:

Americans only thought it was insane because the kamikaze pilots were targeting them. If Americans, infact, Americans who are actually on the front line in wars are not viewed as insane even thought their mission is a suicide one.

No it's not.
Their mission is to kill who ever is on the other side and not get killed themselves.
Not Suicide.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 14th, 2007 at 08:46am
trelovescookies:
Anji:
Maiku's Requiem:
Anji:

No it's not.
Their mission is to kill who ever is on the other side and not get killed themselves.
Not Suicide.
It's a metaphorical euphamism. They are very unlikely, well were unlikely to survive.
Ol' Blue Eyes.
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
April 14th, 2007 at 12:39pm
I think people should be allowed to decide for themselves whether or not they live or die.

I volunteered in a hospital once, and saw so many people who were begging for death because they were so sick and there was no chance of them recovering. I strongly believe in euthenasia.

I'm not saying teenagers who think they're depressed and suicidal should just grab a gun and go for it, I think it is a decision that must be carefully considered, because life is very precious and shouldn't be wasted. If a person honestly and truly wants to die, and has good reasons for it, far be it for me to tell he or she that they can't commit suicide.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 14th, 2007 at 12:45pm
I was friends with Josie Grove. Anyone living in the UK might know her, she had lukemia and decided to refuse treatement because it made her so sick. As a result she got a bravery award and a Josie Grove Fund for Lukemia has started and she's been in magazines and stuff. Of course, I was disappointed when I found out she had quit her treatement. She didn't 'quit' but to me, it felt like she did. I've thought about it a lot and realised that maybe she was actually brave and deserved the award, not just a quitter. She just wanted to enjoy the last part of her life happily I guess.
Maiku's Kind Ghost
Maiku's Kind Ghost

Mibba
April 14th, 2007 at 08:56pm
Anji:
trelovescookies:
Anji:
Maiku's Requiem:
Anji:

No it's not.
Not Suicide.
It's a metaphorical euphamism. They are very unlikely, well were unlikely to survive.

well... that's kinda what "war" is. But even then, most of the time, there's a 50/50 chance that you'll survive anyways. And even in the case of "Sucide Missions" there's still a chance that you'll come out of it alive, as long as luck's on your side and you don't do anything stupid.
Ambushing an enemy stonghold is a little different then ramming an airplane into a ship on purpose....

And the American's didn't think the Kamakze pilots where insane because they where targeting them. They thought they where insane because the concept of killing one's self for Honor is something compleatly forgien to them. All westerners infact, mostly do to the Judo-Christian culture that most contries in the west have which tend to have a strong tabo against suicide.
Bones
Falling In Love With The Board
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 12:20am
bunch of fucking idiots
The world is probally better off without them, stops the dumbass gene from being passed on

That episode of Family Guy when meg joins the cult is classic
Brendon Urie..
Brendon Urie..

Mibba
April 15th, 2007 at 01:58am
I think that they are conditioned to think and certain way and then the suicide comes from that.
Bones
Falling In Love With The Board
Bones

Mibba Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 02:13am
i just cant associate with people like that because it would take a hell of a lot to brainwash me

ive never had to experience that kinda of environmnet so to me it seems like such an idiotic thing to want to be a part of
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
April 15th, 2007 at 02:43am
Maiku's Requiem:
well... that's kinda what "war" is. But even then, most of the time, there's a 50/50 chance that you'll survive anyways. And even in the case of "Sucide Missions" there's still a chance that you'll come out of it alive, as long as luck's on your side and you don't do anything stupid.
Ambushing an enemy stonghold is a little different then ramming an airplane into a ship on purpose....

And the American's didn't think the Kamakze pilots where insane because they where targeting them. They thought they where insane because the concept of killing one's self for Honor is something compleatly forgien to them. All westerners infact, mostly do to the Judo-Christian culture that most contries in the west have which tend to have a strong tabo against suicide.
I disagree. I think that in training for the army and whilst going to war, Americans have accepted the fate of death. They accept they are going to die. At least in World War II, in my opinion. It's their own kamikaze mission except that they are trying to stay alive whereas kamikazes are actually trying to die and kill. Yes, there is always a chance that they'd come out alive, but I don't think they believed in that chance nearly enough as it actually happened.
SugarGreen
SugarGreen
April 15th, 2007 at 02:56am
Anji:

So why does everyone ignore it then?

So what about the cults and religions. Were the kamikazes psychos or patriotics? Is there a line to be drawn?

1. Not everyone ignores mass suicides... in fact they are pretty hard to ignore.

2. Kamikazes were patriots according to their beliefs.

Personally, I am against mass suicide. The only thing I can do to prevent it is to teach others that it is the wrong thing to do.
Register