Poverty in the U.S. -vs- Poverty in other countries

AuthorMessage
Ol' Blue Eyes.
King For A Couple Of Days
Ol' Blue Eyes.

Mibba
July 26th, 2007 at 05:04pm
I've given half of my paycheck to Feed the Children whenever I can. Con

But as to the situation here, in America, it's really a wealth management problem. I mean, I can't really name of the top of my head, but I know that the salaries earned by professional atheletes is just outrageous. If we cut those in half even, there would be millions more to go around.
syco-cheechoo2
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
syco-cheechoo2

Blog
July 30th, 2007 at 04:51pm
Okay,
I actually came back here and noticed I posted this. I do not remember it, I was probably drunk the night I posted this, which would've lead to my close minded veiws. However I'm sober now, so Here are my views on this.

Yes, People here aren't all from america, so it should be poverty in your own-vs- others. I know that other countries have horrible poverty, but people here aren't all correct either. I've met people over here who live in a 1 room shack, that don't get a dime of help, and drink filthy well water, and they are so close to skin and bone it isn't even funny. I noticed that some peopleseem to think that the help, and donations get all the way to the ghetto and projects of cities in the US, I hate to break it to you but they don't. 90% of the donations go to lower middle class. NOT the poverty level or below. on a rare occasion it will get down to there. I'm Not at all saying that America is worse than other countries. The thing is though, your country is sending billions and billions to these other countries, meanwhile your country is in debt, prices on everything is skyrocketing, putting the people who already have problems in the hole deeper and deeper. Yes, the other countries might need it, but atleast evenly distribute it to make things okay in your own country.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 30th, 2007 at 06:14pm
SycoSkunk!:
I've met people over here who live in a 1 room shack, that don't get a dime of help, and drink filthy well water, and they are so close to skin and bone it isn't even funny.
You get one room shacks? Cheese Luuuuucky!

Seriously though, I'm not joking. Not only am I not joking, I'm telling the truth. At least they've got roofs. Some people here are still homeless from the tsunami.

SycoSkunk!:
I noticed that some peopleseem to think that the help, and donations get all the way to the ghetto and projects of cities in the US, I hate to break it to you but they don't. 90% of the donations go to lower middle class. NOT the poverty level or below.
Again, proper wealth distribution is in need. Your government is very fucked.

SycoSkunk!:
on a rare occasion it will get down to there. I'm Not at all saying that America is worse than other countries. The thing is though, your country is sending billions and billions to these other countries, meanwhile your country is in debt, prices on everything is skyrocketing, putting the people who already have problems in the hole deeper and deeper. Yes, the other countries might need it, but atleast evenly distribute it to make things okay in your own country.
My country is the one in debt, and you're right. You're right, all this money does go to other countries, but God do they need it much more than we do. To evenly distribute all the money in the world is an impossible task. Money will forever have to be exchanging hands. Have you heard of UNICEF? You know on Halloween in America, some kids get UNICEF boxes for donations. One dollar, one U.S. dollar for a vaccination, something you in America get for free, and the people there can't afford one dollar, for a vaccination against deadly viruses like Hepititis. (Is it a virus?)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. America is far more wealthy than many other couuntries on this world. You, by all means, have all the necessities to eliminate poverty in your own country, without your gractious donations to other countries having to suffer. So please, if the poverty in your own country is bothering you, take it out on your politicians, not the people living in war zones with no food, drink, or homes.
syco-cheechoo2
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
syco-cheechoo2

Blog
July 30th, 2007 at 08:24pm
Anji:
You get one room shacks? Cheese Luuuuucky! Seriously though, I'm not joking. Not only am I not joking, I'm telling the truth. At least they've got roofs. Some people here are still homeless from the tsunami.

Yeah, and there are people that also have never had homes. Im not sasying that the united states is in more trouble, Im just pointing out that yes other countries may need it but so do others. and yeah the united states is in debt they take out loan after loan from other countries, and raise the taxes for its retarded war on terror. I mean yeah, some of its right, but iraq isn't , but thats off topic

Anji:
. Again, proper wealth distribution is in need. Your government is very fucked.

Yes, proper wealth distribution is needed, but it doesn't go that way, it is done by who earns it here. a job, which alot of the people who are poor cant get because they dont have decent cloths or can't bath to be decent for a interview, or dont have shoes or shirts so cant even go to apply.

Anji:
My country is the one in debt, and you're right. You're right, all this money does go to other countries, but God do they need it much more than we do. To evenly distribute all the money in the world is an impossible task. Money will forever have to be exchanging hands. Have you heard of UNICEF? You know on Halloween in America, some kids get UNICEF boxes for donations. One dollar, one U.S. dollar for a vaccination, something you in America get for free, and the people there can't afford one dollar, for a vaccination against deadly viruses like Hepititis. (Is it a virus?).

No, Vaccinations do NOT come free. the vaccinations here also cost money, and its costs a hell of a lot more than a dollar. I remember my brothers being taken for vaccinations that costs 20$ Hepititis is a virus, but not all of them are fatal, theres different ones, some cureable others not.

Anji:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. America is far more wealthy than many other couuntries on this world. You, by all means, have all the necessities to eliminate poverty in your own country, without your gractious donations to other countries having to suffer. So please, if the poverty in your own country is bothering you, take it out on your politicians, not the people living in war zones with no food, drink, or homes.

Yes, and there are ppl here without food drink or homes. im not taking it out on them. And so you know ppl live in warzones here too. They're called gang territories. Gang's emerge for the shear fact of poverty, and needing the money. I'm not taking it out on anyone, and yeah, its not as easy as you may think. Do you honestly think the politicians give a flying fuck? all they do make up lies to get in office, then they live the high life not giving ashit about anything else. I'm not stating at all that we are in worse shape, not once did I ever say that. I'm saying that your own people are dying, but your letting them die, in return for others. I'm saying, countries should make some sort of Effort to help their own people that get to those who need it in their country AS WELL as others.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 30th, 2007 at 09:22pm
SycoSkunk!:
Yeah, and there are people that also have never had homes. Im not sasying that the united states is in more trouble, Im just pointing out that yes other countries may need it but so do others. and yeah the united states is in debt they take out loan after loan from other countries, and raise the taxes for its retarded war on terror. I mean yeah, some of its right, but iraq isn't , but thats off topic
What?
SycoSkunk!:
Yes, proper wealth distribution is needed, but it doesn't go that way, it is done by who earns it here. a job, which alot of the people who are poor cant get because they dont have decent cloths or can't bath to be decent for a interview, or dont have shoes or shirts so cant even go to apply.
Hmmm, I wonder how they can get shirts and shoes and get water to be cleaned? Oh yeah, money! We are talking about poverty, right? The solution is money
SycoSkunk!:
No, Vaccinations do NOT come free. the vaccinations here also cost money, and its costs a hell of a lot more than a dollar. I remember my brothers being taken for vaccinations that costs 20$ Hepititis is a virus, but not all of them are fatal, theres different ones, some cureable others not.
Well, I got free vaccines when I went to live in America. Seems that you're right and they do tend more to other people rather than their own.

Anyway, it costs one dollar. One for a vaccine in Africa like I said, and people still can't afford it. Yet, I'm getting free vaccines in America. I'm not even American.

Also, what does the fatality of the virus have to do with anything, it's still a fucking virus and it still gets passed on. It's dangerous none the less and since there's no way to eliminate it with a dollar, there's no way to stop it from spreading.
SycoSkunk!:
Yes, and there are ppl here without food drink or homes. im not taking it out on them. And so you know ppl live in warzones here too. They're called gang territories. Gang's emerge for the shear fact of poverty, and needing the money. I'm not taking it out on anyone, and yeah, its not as easy as you may think. Do you honestly think the politicians give a flying fuck? all they do make up lies to get in office, then they live the high life not giving ashit about anything else. I'm not stating at all that we are in worse shape, not once did I ever say that. I'm saying that your own people are dying, but your letting them die, in return for others. I'm saying, countries should make some sort of Effort to help their own people that get to those who need it in their country AS WELL as others.
You don't think that my country is making an effort? Maybe your country isn't, well what are you going to do about it? Are you just oging to complain about it on here or do something, because otherwise, this discussion is a waste of your time.

This isn't so much of a debate as it is a whine about how much life sucks because the government sucks because they're all lying scabs.
syco-cheechoo2
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
syco-cheechoo2

Blog
July 31st, 2007 at 01:28am
^I'm actually not whining about it, I've written numourous letters to higher officials, I've raised money and personally brought it to families in need, all of that jazz. The virus is transmitted yes, but its not just one country every country has it. And you might be getting free vaccinations, but that is probably youre parents health insurance. I was stating also that the people couldnt get clean, and cloths without money, and they couldn't get the money if they dont have the cloths, and have good personal hygene to get a job.
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
July 31st, 2007 at 05:48am
And you might be getting free vaccinations, but that is probably youre parents health insurance
Well no, people with out health insurance can get free vacinations paid for by the state, and even if it isn't free its extremely cheap. Laws vary from state to state, but America isn't the country with wide spread epedimics killing off tons of people because we do have access to those things. Our health care system isn't perfect but it isn't like we're letting kids die of polio or something.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 31st, 2007 at 09:10am
SycoSkunk!:
The virus is transmitted yes, but its not just one country every country has it.
But it's not a big problem in every country, nor does it kill as many people, nor is it attended to as much.

Also, I didn't have health insurance in America.

Your refusal to admit that other countries need the little money they get is very frustrating. You aren't showing any amount of empathy, and frankly, I do believe that it is quite selfish of you. Poverty in America is luxuary to many here.

Do you know what the universal poverty line is? It's one dollar, one U.S. dollar a day. 1.1 billion people qualify for that. That's approximately every sixth person on average. 2.7 billion people live from under two dollars a day. The numbers are growing exponentially. The federal poverty line of the United States is very extremely high. Higher that almost all developed countries. The number of people living below the U.S. poverty line in constantly fluctuating between 12% and 15% and those aren't even conservative estimates. The poverty threshold for an average sized family is like $15,000 a year. I'm really too tired to do the math, but I know that that's an awfully large amount to earn almost anywhere else in the undeveloped world.

I agree with you that your government isn't using their funds for the homeless in America to the best extent, but no other country should have to sufer because of that. In Madagascar, 70% of the people lie below the dollar a day poverty line. 90% below two dollars a day. In Zambia, 98% lived below two dollars. That number is just below 90% in Ethiopia. One out of four people in India, live under the poverty line. I think there is a reason why all these countries get this money.
syco-cheechoo2
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
syco-cheechoo2

Blog
July 31st, 2007 at 04:25pm
Anji:
SycoSkunk!:
The virus is transmitted yes, but its not just one country every country has it.
But it's not a big problem in every country, nor does it kill as many people, nor is it attended to as much.

Also, I didn't have health insurance in America.

Your refusal to admit that other countries need the little money they get is very frustrating. You aren't showing any amount of empathy, and frankly, I do believe that it is quite selfish of you. Poverty in America is luxuary to many here.

Do you know what the universal poverty line is? It's one dollar, one U.S. dollar a day. 1.1 billion people qualify for that. That's approximately every sixth person on average. 2.7 billion people live from under two dollars a day. The numbers are growing exponentially. The federal poverty line of the United States is very extremely high. Higher that almost all developed countries. The number of people living below the U.S. poverty line in constantly fluctuating between 12% and 15% and those aren't even conservative estimates. The poverty threshold for an average sized family is like $15,000 a year. I'm really too tired to do the math, but I know that that's an awfully large amount to earn almost anywhere else in the undeveloped world.

I agree with you that your government isn't using their funds for the homeless in America to the best extent, but no other country should have to sufer because of that. In Madagascar, 70% of the people lie below the dollar a day poverty line. 90% below two dollars a day. In Zambia, 98% lived below two dollars. That number is just below 90% in Ethiopia. One out of four people in India, live under the poverty line. I think there is a reason why all these countries get this money.

I am having no problem admitting other countries need it more, but people should still take care of their own country. I know probably more than anyone here considering the ammount of cherity work ive dont not only for my own country but ive donated about 300$ for the petition to help save darfur, I have also sent a large sum of my summer job money to ethiopia as well as to people who need it here. As far as the 15,000 a year, you are correct for the average poverty line currently, but there are also several that are below even that.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
July 31st, 2007 at 06:08pm
SycoSkunk!:
As far as the 15,000 a year, you are correct for the average poverty line currently, but there are also several that are below even that.
Not for an 'average family' as I said, $15,000 is for an average family and nubers go up an down depending on age, people, family sizes, etc.
trisha_goes_rawr
Geek
trisha_goes_rawr
August 1st, 2007 at 03:52am
i think the world is wayyy to over populated..
Plug In Baby.
Addict
Plug In Baby.
August 1st, 2007 at 10:17am
trisha_goes_rawr:
i think the world is wayyy to over populated..

I've said before, natural selection is sorting that out =D

I'm not saying that poverty isn't still happening, because even a fool couldn't say it's not, but if it's any consolation, you are helping =]

Well, according to this article, you are, anyways.

Ignoring the bit that says Australians are up themselves, or think they're doing more than what they actually are, it says that the poverty rate has dropped, and more kids are being educated. That's always a good thing, right?
Bones
Falling In Love With The Board
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 10th, 2007 at 08:33pm
scotland is one of the poorest developed countries in the world (certainly in europe) with glasgow having the poorest areas of any city in the UK which is disgraceful that a country as rich and influentual as britain cant take care of their own. the main problem being that scotland doesnt have the full mean to do anything but thats indepedance issues which is a whole other topic!!!
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 11th, 2007 at 06:20pm
I haven't been to Glasgow recently, I mainly visit Edinbrough, but I've heard that since the ninties, which is when I last visited, and it was a dump, but it's improved with lots of development schemes and new businesses all about and it's greatly improved, which is why it one the European City award in like '99 or something.

However according to you, it's as bad as it was before. At least because it was such a dump in the 70's a lot of great footballers came from that.
The Doctor
The Doctor

Mibba Blog
August 12th, 2007 at 03:11am
Anji:
I haven't been to Glasgow recently, I mainly visit Edinbrough, but I've heard that since the ninties, which is when I last visited, and it was a dump, but it's improved with lots of development schemes and new businesses all about and it's greatly improved, which is why it one the European City award in like '99 or something.

However according to you, it's as bad as it was before. At least because it was such a dump in the 70's a lot of great footballers came from that.
Not so much the buildings and businesses et al, because I went a nice stroll in the business area. It's more the...delinquent children that drags it down. A species known as 'neds'. It's strange, they live on benefits but have enough money to buy gold, designer clothes and alcohol.

The actual place itself it pretty awesome and most of the people are okay, it's just the evil, evil children and their...spongy ways. *shrugs*
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 12th, 2007 at 08:52am
I thought they renewed the old Victorian tenements what with the regeneration scheme and all. I liked them, I thought it bought a certain olden charm into the city, now that all the old factories and stuff have been mordernised into clubs and theatres and whatnot.
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 14th, 2007 at 10:37pm
Glasgow is a really nice city don't get me wrong - i wouldnt live anywhere else but there are like all cities some not nice areas like Easterhouse and posselpark - the difference being that these areas are the most rundown of any develped nation.
In some areas of Glasgow the life expectancy is lower than that of some poor African nations. We also have the highest heart disease and cancer rates in the world. The scottish authorities are taking some action but more really needs to be done, but we need westminister for that or better still give us our independance so we can fix it all ourselves!!!!!
The Bears Are Coming
Basket Case
The Bears Are Coming
August 15th, 2007 at 12:07pm
we don't have a lot of poverty here
off course some people dont have a lot to spend but most of them get help until things go better. There are homeless people here but you dont see em lying around in the streets(then the police sends them away), there's not as much of em as in most other countries
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
August 15th, 2007 at 03:28pm
Elegant Rubble:
In some areas of Glasgow the life expectancy is lower than that of some poor African nations. We also have the highest heart disease and cancer rates in the world.
Well every single city in the world has some dodgy areas with the exception of maybe Singapore. And there has to be someone at the bottom of the list, hasn't there?

But I doubt that the life expectancy in those areas gets lower than 26 years. And 40 years of age is usually pushing it as well. What is it, crime? Public sanitation? Living conditions? I can hardly imagine it being worse than third world African countries, I'm sorry.

Heart disease is usually caused by age, smoking, lack of exercise, and poor diet. I hardly think that a city could possibly be to blame for any of those. And cancer rates are infact highest in North America.
Bones
Bones

Mibba Blog
August 15th, 2007 at 05:51pm
Anji:
Elegant Rubble:
In some areas of Glasgow the life expectancy is lower than that of some poor African nations. We also have the highest heart disease and cancer rates in the world.
Well every single city in the world has some dodgy areas with the exception of maybe Singapore. And there has to be someone at the bottom of the list, hasn't there?

But I doubt that the life expectancy in those areas gets lower than 26 years. And 40 years of age is usually pushing it as well. What is it, crime? Public sanitation? Living conditions? I can hardly imagine it being worse than third world African countries, I'm sorry.

Heart disease is usually caused by age, smoking, lack of exercise, and poor diet. I hardly think that a city could possibly be to blame for any of those. And cancer rates are infact highest in North America.

I know that all cities have poor areas but Glasgow has exceptionally poor areas. The life expectancy is only in the early 40s - I'm not claiming that the conditions are as bad as third world countries but it people there are still expected to live longer than in these parts of Glasgow. Also nobody has to be bottom of the list - in an ideal situation all countries should be at an equal level.

The main reasons are unemployment, poverty and crime - scotland has a gang culture - these idiotic neds are ruining an otherwise decent place. The situation is still bad but the majority of scots are the most friendly people in the world and are trying their best to turn the situation around.

As for the heart disease its mainly to do with the traditional scottish diet which is to deep fat fry everything but the city or rather the city council does have a role to play in it as the cheapest foods tend to be those that are high in fat - a lot of people simply can't afford to eat healthily. Also there are very few sport facilities and things for young people - in fact scottish sport is seen as a joke especially our football(soccer) team as we do so badly internationally and this is dominant sport.

And it was in the scottish news the other day that we had the highest cancer rates of any country in the world - maybe collectively N America has the highest rates but Scotland has the highest of any individual country -who knows

But hey I'm the one that actually lives in Glasgow not you - you may find it hard to believe but I've seen and experienced some of this stuff for myself. Statistics Scotland and UN studies back all this up
Register