Social Effects of the Internet on Teenagers

AuthorMessage
jhuiyu876
King For A Couple Of Days
jhuiyu876

Mibba
March 20th, 2008 at 11:25pm
As a tween/teen myself I have come to message boards to get away from home, and not have to be a "goody-goody."
I think that people, such as these two:
Sounds very familiar.

My mum's not ill or anything, but she's always been very abusive to me since I was very young, and as a result I feel no sympathy for her, no matter what happens. You have to emotionally disconnect eventually, you just have to, for your own sake.

If you can physically get yourself away from it, even better. I wish I'd done it years ago, as she's already caused me to have serious mental and emotional problems which I now have to deal with. Don't let that happen to you, get yourself out.

i've had the same problem before exept that my mom's pregnant and she smokes
and all that shit and suts on her lazy ass and thinks she's perfect.

Just need a place to vent, rebel from they're parents rules for a couple of hours a day.

........................................................................-Discuss-
UseMeAsYourDefence
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
UseMeAsYourDefence

Mibba
March 21st, 2008 at 01:19am
I can honestly say that in some cases it is a place to vent, to get away from reality's personas of different people and such. To essentially create your own, or show your real emotions/personality. I know people who do do that, and to me thats okay, because in most cases its easier to talk to people you never met.
Smile, just my opinon...
Sarah!
Geek
Sarah!
March 21st, 2008 at 07:17am
I agree with both of you ^^

On GSB, I can be who I want to be and I can do that without feeling >< about it because people generally accept everyone on here. I can write the truth in my profile and I can talk to people easily unlike in my real life.

GSB = one great place for me tbh.
We Are 138
Geek
We Are 138

Mibba
March 21st, 2008 at 08:21am
I agree. Sometimes if something is bothering you, it's good to talk to people you don't know and who won't judge you.
Raina Lupa
Addict
Raina Lupa
March 21st, 2008 at 11:44am
Oi Confused

Thanks for asking my permission before using that!
FYI, that is 100% FACT, and my mother knows how I feel about her, as do my father, friends and boyfriend. All I post is basically putting my thoughts down in print, as I do verbally on a day-to-day basis. I am no fake, no wannabe 'rebel'. I have been through shit in my life and in that topic, I was offering advice to someone going through a similar thing as I have. I did not do it to look cool, or not like a 'goody-goody', so get your facts straight.

So you can think what you want, I think some people do create an online persona- not me though. Before you go accusing someone you damn well should make sure you know what they're all about.
lyrical_mess
Falling In Love With The Board
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
March 21st, 2008 at 02:06pm
I think in general, people come to the internet to escape. Maybe to rebel, but I think the whole thing is about escaping. I know I come here to escape. Well, I don't really have much to escape from except for homework and class politics, but you know what I mean. I hope.

But from what I seen of Mibba more than GSB, people do try to use the internet as a place to rebel. It's kind of a dumb example, but a lot of people try to rebel against grammar. And the editors used to get a lot of angry people saying "What is this? School?!" and stuff like that.
dirnt_caffeine
Geek
dirnt_caffeine
March 21st, 2008 at 09:51pm
yeah...message board allows you to speak what you have in mind, be what you want to be and become what you really are. this is where we confess and speak out the words/things that sometimes, we can't tell to the people around us.
this is where we find people who understands us and care about us.
this is where we meet people who, sometimes, are just like us.
jhuiyu876
jhuiyu876

Mibba
March 22nd, 2008 at 03:43pm
Electric Pussycat:
Oi Confused

Thanks for asking my permission before using that!
FYI, that is 100% FACT, and my mother knows how I feel about her, as do my father, friends and boyfriend. All I post is basically putting my thoughts down in print, as I do verbally on a day-to-day basis. I am no fake, no wannabe 'rebel'. I have been through shit in my life and in that topic, I was offering advice to someone going through a similar thing as I have. I did not do it to look cool, or not like a 'goody-goody', so get your facts straight.

So you can think what you want, I think some people do create an online persona- not me though. Before you go accusing someone you damn well should make sure you know what they're all about.
I wasn't accusing anyone, I never put the usernames, and I mean Messages Boards are good.FingerFingerFinger
Joel McHale.
Joel McHale.

Blog
March 22nd, 2008 at 04:24pm
And the quotes above have been used from my thread. Joy.
Mycophobia
Basket Case
Mycophobia

Blog
March 22nd, 2008 at 05:14pm
well I mean no was is going to ground you for saying your parents are being mean on the internet Coolio
Kurtni
Admin
Kurtni

Mibba Blog
March 22nd, 2008 at 08:40pm
If you post something on this site, you can't get pissed when people quote it guys. Coolio You gave them permission by posting it.
Olivia Wilde.
Addict
Olivia Wilde.

Blog
March 24th, 2008 at 07:41pm
I love message boards.
It's a great place to meet other people from other countries. Most of the ones I go on don't have many Americans.
And if you hate someone, you can let them know by bashing them and not worrying about them anymore cause you can just leave the site or block them. (Lord knows I'VE done that tehe)

But I always end up hating at least ONE person on each message board No
Sylar
Sylar
March 24th, 2008 at 07:57pm
Message boards are great, but I think 'rebelling' is the wrong term. It's entirely futile to attempt to rebel in a forum since you're not really making any sort of difference.

... Y'know?
Franny.
Franny.
March 24th, 2008 at 09:25pm
Well for me, I just like discussing things with people I really don't know. That way, I can get honest opinions and comments from a wide range of people [ranging from age and places].

Though I think some people come on message boards to express themselves in a way they can't in 'real life'. Or it's a place where people can be someone else without being found out.
lyrical_mess
lyrical_mess

Mibba Blog
March 25th, 2008 at 12:41pm
Can we change the title to something like "Social Effects of Message Boards" ?Because I really agree with what Franny said. Message boards do allow you to be...I don't even know. But they let you be something that you can't really be offline.

Like, I joined GSB in ninth grade for the stories but I ended up talking to strangers, which is generally something I try very very very hard to avoid. And srsly, I didn't know I liked debating this much until I found this forum.
Bleach
Rotting On Here
Bleach
March 29th, 2008 at 10:57pm
honestly I don't call that rebellion
If you want to call something rebellion, you tell people your opinion and make some difference

typing and saying stuff to people on the internet just to not be around your parents is not rebellion
Addison Dewitt
Addison Dewitt

Blog
March 30th, 2008 at 04:39am
I don't think this is rebellion, its a way to be social at least for me.

I come here because nobody calls me stupid when I type something, and typing for me is easier than talking. When I talk I have a stutter and a lisp, makes people go Eh Whadja say? but here I can say what I want, and I (usually) come across pretty clearly.

Sometimes I rant, but everyone does that, and I like to discuss things here, if my friends ever knew what I discussed here they'd send me to an asylum. So I can get more feedback from people all over, not just the same people. Smile
cabot gal
GSBitch
cabot gal

Mibba
March 30th, 2008 at 09:35am
It's hardly rebelling Eh

You're inside where your parents can see you and monitor you. It's better then going out on a piss up around the streets.
Rocker Chic
Rocker Chic

Blog
March 30th, 2008 at 02:33pm
I come on here, honestly, to relax and have fun. To get away from schoolwork and parents and stress. I have some great friends on here, and it genuinely makes me happy to talk to them. It's so much fun.

I don't think I'm "rebelling". I mean, it's all very open and fun here, but I don't see anything we talk about as rebellion. Everyone can be themselves here, and I think that's one of the best things.
nimrodidiot
Jackass
nimrodidiot

Blog
April 15th, 2008 at 10:55pm
Boobmeister:
It's hardly rebelling Eh

You're inside where your parents can see you and monitor you. It's better then going out on a piss up around the streets.

I think she means in the way that she doesn't have to do what her parents say when she's on the Internet. It's her time to do what she wants, and not care what everybody else says. I agree, it helps you vent your feelings when you're stressed.

Not necessarily considered rebelling, but more of a 'me-time' kind of thing.
Register