whos the the best bassman?

AuthorMessage
High Fidelity
Falling In Love With The Board
High Fidelity
February 21st, 2007 at 09:53pm
Anji:
In rock music, it's definately Brian Richie from the Violent Femmes. Even though he's playing an acoustic bass most of the time, it still carries the same...no, more power and force than any electric bass or bass player can ever manage. The Violent Femmes are all about the raw, untamed, un-'formulaic', 'emotional', and non-'decandent bullshit'. And it shows soooo well in Brian Richie's bass lines, it's remarkable. The Violent Femmes is one of those bands where when you're listening to them, you have to crank upp the bass amplifiers, because it'd serve no justice to them otherwise. The bass alone carries most of the melody and is not like any other band where there is just straight eigth notes, again and again. This is rock and roll at it's core, raw soul. It's all about the emotion and the feeling. The Violent Femmes are the 20th century's romanicicts without the 19th century frills and frocks, and no revolutions. It's just you, them, and the music. And that's what real rock and roll is, and nothing depicts it more than Brian Richie's bass.
Wow. I totally forgot about him. He's amazing and his bass playing is very unique. Most of the substance to VF's music is in his bass playing.
Dom
Jackass
Dom
February 22nd, 2007 at 08:54am
Color Me Impressed:
Anji:
In rock music, it's definately Brian Richie from the Violent Femmes. Even though he's playing an acoustic bass most of the time, it still carries the same...no, more power and force than any electric bass or bass player can ever manage. The Violent Femmes are all about the raw, untamed, un-'formulaic', 'emotional', and non-'decandent bullshit'. And it shows soooo well in Brian Richie's bass lines, it's remarkable. The Violent Femmes is one of those bands where when you're listening to them, you have to crank upp the bass amplifiers, because it'd serve no justice to them otherwise. The bass alone carries most of the melody and is not like any other band where there is just straight eigth notes, again and again. This is rock and roll at it's core, raw soul. It's all about the emotion and the feeling. The Violent Femmes are the 20th century's romanicicts without the 19th century frills and frocks, and no revolutions. It's just you, them, and the music. And that's what real rock and roll is, and nothing depicts it more than Brian Richie's bass.
Wow. I totally forgot about him. He's amazing and his bass playing is very unique. Most of the substance to VF's music is in his bass playing.

i like his use of bass chords.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
February 22nd, 2007 at 09:35am
Color Me Impressed:
Anji:
Judging by your user name, I'm quite ashamed that you would forget someone like him! He doesn't just play the bass, he makes it come to life.
Toxic Narcotic
King For A Couple Of Days
Toxic Narcotic

Mibba
February 22nd, 2007 at 10:47pm
I dont play the bass...but I think That dude from rancid is awesome Cool
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
February 23rd, 2007 at 03:23pm
Anji:
Judging by your user name, I'm quite ashamed that you would forget someone like him! He doesn't just play the bass, he makes it come to life.
Dno I don't listen to a whole lot of the Femmes, I love them, but I don't have much of their stuff. And my username is a Replacements song. Wink
High Fidelity
High Fidelity
February 23rd, 2007 at 03:25pm
FlyingTIGER:
I dont play the bass...but I think That dude from rancid is awesome Cool
Matt Freeman is a bass god. Cassie The solo in Maxwell Murder is one of the best bass solos ever, IMO.
Anji
Basket Case
Anji

Blog
February 24th, 2007 at 09:48am
Color Me Impressed:
Anji:
Dno I don't listen to a whole lot of the Femmes, I love them, but I don't have much of their stuff. And my username is a Replacements song. Wink
OK. Listen to Colour Me Once by the Violent Femmes, if you haven't already.
worn-out astronaut.
Had A Life Before GSB
worn-out astronaut.

Mibba Blog
February 24th, 2007 at 04:14pm
Flea. That man is brillaint.
EvilGiraffe!
Addict
EvilGiraffe!

Blog
March 1st, 2007 at 03:57am
NOEL FIELDING! :p

No...
..I'm just kidding, Noel is....good....but, no Sad

I don't know who the best bass player is..I like a lot of bass players
=]

Noel is the hottest though Very Happy
Dom
Jackass
Dom
March 5th, 2007 at 02:43pm
xPeltTheRabbitx:

No...

=]

is he even real bass player? Surely Julian is a lot better than he is.
Addison Montgomery.
Addison Montgomery.

Mibba Blog
March 6th, 2007 at 03:29pm
The Dirnt.
EvilGiraffe!
Addict
EvilGiraffe!

Blog
March 8th, 2007 at 03:43am
Dom:
xPeltTheRabbitx:

No...

=]

No, Noel actually does play bass..he helps out RiD in some of there concerts if Chris Corner can't do them....
...and once he did a warm up gig for Razorlight dressed as the Hitcher tehe
EvilGiraffe!
Addict
EvilGiraffe!

Blog
March 8th, 2007 at 03:44am
Whoops..I double posted Rolling Eyes
Dom
Jackass
Dom
March 8th, 2007 at 04:28pm
xPeltTheRabbitx:
Dom:
xPeltTheRabbitx:

No...

=]

No, Noel actually does play bass..he helps out RiD in some of there concerts if Chris Corner can't do them....
...and once he did a warm up gig for Razorlight dressed as the Hitcher tehe

thats pretty cool! i didn't know that. Julians a pretty mean slap bassist actually. Apparently the fans at the razorlight gig didnt really appreciate his warm up lol, no idea why. I saw the boosh at the manchester apollo a few months back.
Protest the Hero.
Protest the Hero.
March 10th, 2007 at 08:51am
Josh Paradotti. He's not an undiscovered talent. He's an undiscovered GOD. Con
Jay Tee
Had A Life Before GSB
Jay Tee

Mibba Blog
March 13th, 2007 at 06:17pm
Flea, Stanley Clarke or my dad.
EvilGiraffe!
Addict
EvilGiraffe!

Blog
March 22nd, 2007 at 04:22am
Dom:

thats pretty cool! i didn't know that. Julians a pretty mean slap bassist actually. Apparently the fans at the razorlight gig didnt really appreciate his warm up lol, no idea why. I saw the boosh at the manchester apollo a few months back.

Lucky!!! You got to see Noel and Julain in the flesh Drool

and....this sounds stupid..but I didn't know Julian played bass tehe
Chile D. Guy
Basket Case
Chile D. Guy
March 27th, 2007 at 06:48pm
Les Claypool!
StAttic6
Shoot Me, I'm A Newbie
StAttic6
April 8th, 2007 at 12:04am
Matt fuckin' Freeman. (Yes, the fuckin' was necessary.)
swoon-
Post Whore
swoon-

Mibba
April 8th, 2007 at 09:57pm
Pete Wentz obvi.

jk he can't rly play bass

um

Flea or Sid Vicious
Register